Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Left 4 dead conversion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
masterofm
Well I was playing Left 4 dead and I was thinking about what kind of conversions would work for this game. I was thinking about a Shadowrun conversion when I realized that if any party took on a ghoul rush in close quarters because of the SR damage track and ghouls being extra buff body wise I thought maybe there might be a better conversion to take on scads of ghouls/zombies. The special monsters interested me since one might be able to get away with using an augmented ghoul in the same way to create flavor to the game with maybe a dash of RC thrown in, but I'm just not too sure about that either.

I was thinking Wushu might be a good game mechanic to go up against hordes of zombies, but I was wondering if there might be another game mechanic.

I mean SR might be decent, but I think it would need a lot of tweaking, or everyone would have to be carrying around really high powered weapons.
GreyBrother
Don't take Ghouls but Zombies. For the Special Infected... dunno about guys like the smoker or the Boomer, but i am right now working on a Hunter-esque Ghoul.
The witch would be extracreepy... probably doable with something like a KiAd with Critical Strike to no end but...

Scenariowise i don't know. It has to be a Zone without wireless and no Sats available. I have no idea where to place and how to explain such a scenario in SR, but did you try "All Flesh must be Eaten"?
masterofm
Actually with the zombie horde I was thinking that some things work and some things don't kind of like the game. The wireless is semi working, but power is not everywhere, and everything has gone to hell. Banshee's with crap tons of critical strike would work for the witch.

I was more thinking if it was SR it would be more of a magical invasion, not just zombies. Mostly zombies, but insect spirits, crazy toxic spirits, and maybe a dragon infected with a magical brain parasite for flavor.
InfinityzeN
I have to second the "All Flesh must be Eaten" recommendation as the best system to play a "Left4Dead" type game.
merashin
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jan 3 2009, 05:07 PM) *
...maybe a dragon infected with a magical brain parasite for flavor.

i would have to say that the dragon would be a tank. The only way i can imagine you being able to do a smoker is with ware, chem gland for the smoke and grappling hook for the tongue
hobgoblin
a quick use of the SR4 grunt rules to deal with hordes:

1. same stats on all commons in the horde.

2. single damage track is your friend, and just lump all damage done into a single damage track pr character in play. that is, each time the character damages something, it goes into the same damage track. each time that track fills up, one common horde monster goes down.

3. make use of grunt rules. when x amount of the horde is taken out pr point 2, have the horde basically evaporate. leave maybe a single target pr character for mop up glory.

4. friends in melee. have one or two horde monster attack pr turn (or pass, depending on how nasty those commons ares supposed to be) and then stack on friends in melee based on how big the horde is. yes its a horde of monsters, but its also mostly dumb corpses. they will grasp, scratch, do all kinds of things, but only a couple of really troublesome attacks will show up in a given time frame. if they where smart, they would not need to be a horde to be a threat.

the basic idea is that each monster is no threat, but the relentless wave of there being a new one for each you drop will be the real threat, as you can only keep going for so long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012