Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans-global Ghost Cartels campaign
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
pbangarth
This is the thread for OOC development of characters, technical discussions on on-line hook-up and scheduling for the Ghost Cartels campaign initiated in the "Any online chat games going" thread.

I will try to keep general, pertinent info posted in this top posting.

There is an IC thread for IC PC discussions. Same topic name.

Peter

ENTRY: 12 January 2009
[ Spoiler ]

ENTRY: 14 January 2009
[ Spoiler ]

ENTRY: 19 January 2009

First game switched to 1 February, 2009. Same time slot. So far, same players.

ENTRY: 25 January 2009

See post #103 for Matrix rules.

ENTRY: 26 February 2009

[ Spoiler ]

LAST EDIT: 26 February 2009
pbangarth
Ok, so the first thing I need to figure out is when to play to allow the maximum number of players. It appears we have several people interested, spread out across approximately half the globe. I can't imagine coordinating a time other than on the weekend, as otherwise work and or school would interfere for someone somewhere.

( A ) Timing

For anyone who wants to play, post the following:
1)
The time zone you live in -- I am in Alberta, Canada, in Mountain time zone, which is GMT - 7 hrs.
2)
How long of a session you can fit in. My guess is everyone can fit in 4-6 hours. My experience is that even when people -say- they will only play 4-6 hours they go longer.
3)
What days/time slots are available to you/are preferable for you. Weekends are way best for me.
4)
When you can start. I am tutoring students (for great pay!) who are coming up to midterm exams in a couple of weeks, so for the next couple of weeks I want to keep time open for those who are panicking and need extra sessions. (And I could use the money) My guess is that I can't start before the weekend of the 17th/18th January. Safer would be the next weekend, the 24th/25th of January.

( B ) Player Characters

1)
We should decide the starting BP for PCs. The campaign book suggests regular startup characters -can- play this campaign. I believe this is true, but I tend to bend only so far to keep PCs alive, and there is some SERIOUS badness in this campaign.

So, I am thinking maybe 450 BP to start and I will find ways to award karma on the fly. Any thoughts?

2)
Post character ideas and descriptions here. Take a look at each other's PCs. You will have to be a team.

3)
Have backup PCs in mind. Have any of you played Paranoia? grinbig.gif

( C ) Technical issues

I will need help setting up the online playing environment. I have never run a game online before. Lets figure out the forum on which to play, and then walk me through setting things up. Yeah, let's recap what was said already on the other thread, just to be complete here.

Ok, let's rock!

Peter
pbangarth
Over in the other thread, here are the people who have indicated interest so far, in the order they checked in. Some already have a GC campaign going, and probably are not interested. Let me know one way or the other.

1. Socinus
2. ChiPsiUp
3. void_forger
4. Fyndhal
5. Chrysalis
6. Dulencard - already GMing GC, I believe?
7. Knight Saber
8. Cang
9. Unseen

Peter
Unseen
I don't have a character sheet up (give me a few days), but I'm going to make a hacker named Invisible (obviously his handle). More to come.

1. I live in South Korea, but on the Jan. 23 - Feb. 1 I'll be visiting family in Southern California.
2. I could put in between 4-6 hours.
3. Weekends are best for me too.
4. Actually, between Jan. 23 - Feb. 1 would be best for me.
pbangarth
Alright!

Unseen is in Korea, Chrysalis is in Finland, Fyndhal is in the western U.S. ... Trans-global, the Team that Never Sleeps!

Peter
Fyndhal
I don't own Ghost Cartel (and likely won't anytime soon) so no worries about splitting player vs character knowledge!

Availability is Wednesday 2am-6am GMT, either Friday or Saturday 2am-6am GMT, Saturday 8pm GMT to Sunday 6am GMT or Sunday 8pm to Monday 6am GMT. Some point in the later two days is my preference (mainly because I have a wider window to play in; the other times are pretty hard on the end point of 6am.)

As for Characters, my Gun Bunny Adept is going to be used in Dulencard's game, so I'll have to come up with something else. Probably a mage; I'm not comfortable enough with the Matrix rules yet to run smoothly with those.
ChiPsiUp
A)
1 - I'm in British Columbia, Canada. Pacific Time. ( GMT - 8 )

2 - 4 to 6 hours are great. Especially on Weekends.

3 - Definately the weekends are preferable.

4 - 17th and 18th are good for me. The 24th works for me as well, but not Sunday the 25th. I'm also fine with the 31st, or 1st of Feb.

B)
1 - I'd never say no to more BP! smile.gif Just give how ever much you think is fair.
2 - I have two character ideas I'm toying around. The one I'm much more excited about is a human rigger, who's an ork poser. A loud-mouthed, arrogant type of guy who's into the Orkploitation stereotypes a bit too much. smile.gif The second one is a bit more murky personality wise, but a troll adept of some kind. Maybe ninja-y.
3 - I /have/ play Paranoia. nyahnyah.gif But aren't all the back-ups in Paranoia clones with identical stats? xD
Unseen
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 7 2009, 01:02 AM) *
Unseen is in Korea, Chrysalis is in Finland, Fyndhal is in the western U.S. ... Trans-global, the Team that Never Sleeps!

Right? Our fiction is edging a little too close to reality. Before long, we'll be running IRL covert operations for Haliburton.
Knight Saber
I'm definitely interested. I'm in the US Mountain time zone for now (Arizona doesn't change, so I shift to Pacific come spring). I'm pretty open for evening times. 8PM is a starting time I can do every day, then it gets more complex schedule-wise, but I have some flex.

I don't have and haven't read Ghost Cartels.

Character-wise, I have a variety of ideas... the former wage mage and ninja mystic adept are posted here, and I'd also enjoy updating the Former Company Man to 4e for starters. That's a more subtle and jack-of-all-trades muscle character than the Street Samurai.

I think a straight 400 BP might be better. The template characters aren't always that optimized.
pbangarth
Unless someone complains soon, I will go with 450BP to start. I think there is enough room for coolness as well as competence in that number. Let's make this game a hoot (Canadianism?) and have fun with the PCs.

So far I see a likely hacker and a probable mage, with a couple of others unsure yet. One can tell from the cover art and text that there is potential for international travel and exurban action. Use those hints for what they are worth.

Peter
ChiPsiUp
Well, I'm not really unsure. smile.gif I think I'm rather set on the rigger idea.

Should we figure out when first session's time and date now?

23rd? 24th? 25th? That's Friday, Saturday, and Sunday respectively.

Everyone please post your availability. smile.gif On Friday I can start from 1am GMT, for a 4 to 6 hour session. On Saturday I can do just about anytime. On Sunday the 25th, starting from 3am GMT.

Fyndhal
ChipSiUp and I are in the same Time zone, so we have the same availability.

450pts sounds good; I'll work up a character this weekend.

How does 8pm GMT Saturday the 17th sound for a start time? That's 5am for Unseen and 10pm for Chrysalis.

As for Software, we can use Maptool or Gametable. I've used neither, but my boss *highly* recommends them both. Maptool has more features, while Gametable is more bare bones.

Maptools
Gametable
pbangarth
I tutor students who are writing university entrance exams a couple of days after the 17th, so I would like to keep that day for work and set the next Saturday, the 24th, aside for play. That would also give me time to figure out the interface software. 8 pm GMT works very well for me. Unseen will be in California then, though only a day after he will have come across the Pacific.

So that would make three in the Pacific Time Zone (12 noon), Fyndhal, ChiPsiUp and Unseen, and two in the Mountain time zone (1 pm), Knight Saber and me. I haven't heard from others yet, but the farthest in the other direction would be Chrysalis in Finland, I think, who would be ... oh dear... 10 pm.

Chrysalis and others in that time zone, is that too late? I'm sure we could move things ahead a bit if it is. (aren't we Canadians just so... nice and accommodating?)

I will check out the two interface packages you suggest Fyndhal. Thanks.

Character creation seems to be getting into gear. While Ghost Cartels is a decent framework, it needs fine-tuning, especially to fit the PCs.

Peter

PS. ChiPsiUp, is that a fraternity name?
Unseen
I finished my character at work yesterday. Should I post this on a reply, or are we sending these directly to the GM? Excuse me for my newbacity, I haven't really played since 1997.

Incidentally, I'd be more than willing to play at 5:30 a.m. for future campaigns. I might not be able to make this first one because of traveling, but there is a small chance I can pull it off. I'm buying a netbook today, and that may allow me to hole up in my hotel room for a few hours.
pbangarth
I think it would be good if during character creation the team members had an idea of what types/skills/cool shit the other players are coming up with. So yes, post characters here.

What a trooper, Unseen. Keep us apprised as to whether you can play the first game.

Peter
Knight Saber
Fridays and Sundays work better than Saturdays for me.

I'll update a couple of characters to 450 BP and have them up shortly... a former corporate mage who a generalist spellcaster type, and a former company man, more subtle cybered muscle type, I think. Maybe a ninja adept.
Octopiii
Wondering if it isn't too late for me to jump in here!

If there's still room, I'd be interested in playing an ex-merc... a vet of the Yucatan campaigns, perhaps.

I'm PST so I should be able to fit in; and if anyone cares, I'd prefer Fridays at noon. rotate.gif
ChiPsiUp
On Fridays I cannot start till around 5pm Pacific time. I'm fine with the Saturday noon idea for the 24th, although Knight can't make it then, I believe. Sunday the 25th I can't start till 6pm Pacific time.

What exactly are Chrysalis' hours of availability? Knight's available hours on Saturdays is starting at 7pm Pacific Time, from what I've heard...
Knight Saber
How much room in the campaign will there be for plumbing the backstories of the characters? I have a bit of a complex background in mind for one character, or I could just make her "What you see is what you get" if there won't be a lot of personal side-track stuff.
Unseen
Edit: See my more recent post
Unseen
EDIT: See my most recent post.
The Jake
I am interested. I live in Melbourne Australia and post from +1000 GMT.

Having said that, I own Ghost Cartels, have read it (I am GMing it for my group shortly) but I think I can separate GM from PC knowledge. smile.gif

I have a few concepts I'm toying with. I have two I am playing around with. One is a troll face/street samurai I'm toying with called 'Mr. Vain'. The other is a dwarven combat shaman/fire support character.

Are there any restrictions on character creation? E.g. Availability?

Thanks in advance,

- J.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Knight Saber @ Jan 11 2009, 12:56 AM) *
How much room in the campaign will there be for plumbing the backstories of the characters? I have a bit of a complex background in mind for one character, or I could just make her "What you see is what you get" if there won't be a lot of personal side-track stuff.

As far as I am concerned, there are no limits. If the players take the story off into left field, that's fine with me, though it may take me longer to prepare the next session.

You may want to talk it over with the other players, though. I remember in years gone by my ex-wife created a PC for Virtual Seattle who had an amazing back story. The problem was, in the strict time control of convention games, the poor woman was continually seen to be trying to steal game time for herself, and voted upon poorly by most other players and GMs. (And there were a few male players who just couldn't handle a very self-possessed woman in their midst.) This led to some unhappiness for her.

There will be no voting here, and time constraints won't end a run early, just defer the finish to another session. This could still be an issue, though. So up front, decide how closely folks want to stick to the story arc. Whatever is fun, is fun.

Peter
pbangarth
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 11 2009, 05:24 PM) *
I am interested. I live in Melbourne Australia and post from +1000 GMT.

Having said that, I own Ghost Cartels, have read it (I am GMing it for my group shortly) but I think I can separate GM from PC knowledge. smile.gif

I have a few concepts I'm toying with. I have two I am playing around with. One is a troll face/street samurai I'm toying with called 'Mr. Vain'. The other is a dwarven combat shaman/fire support character.

Are there any restrictions on character creation? E.g. Availability?

Thanks in advance,

- J.

All are welcome, with the following proviso. Up in post #3 there is a list of 9 people who have already indicated interest in playing. Ah, and then Octopiii makes 10. You would be 11th in line, Jake.

I'm not sure I can handle that many people in an online environment without bogging down. Not all have replied here indicating interest, so there may still be room. I guess I should go back through and see who has thrown in their hat.

As far as limitations, follow character creation in the book except for 450 BP.

Peter
pbangarth
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Jan 10 2009, 01:06 AM) *
Wondering if it isn't too late for me to jump in here!

If there's still room, I'd be interested in playing an ex-merc... a vet of the Yucatan campaigns, perhaps.

I'm PST so I should be able to fit in; and if anyone cares, I'd prefer Fridays at noon. rotate.gif

Sorry for not replying sooner. You are in the list of potentials at number 10.

@ everybody: In the first post I list (OK, as of about 5 minutes from now I will have listed) those who have confirmed interest in this thread. By confirmed I mean discussed in this thread when they can play and suggested a possible character. If you aren't on the list, and believe you should be, let me know.

I guess I should set a cutoff date for entry into play, both for myself and for hopefuls down in the list. Ok, today is Monday, 12 January. Play is targeted for Saturday, 24 January. So give me 10 days to prepare. Therefore, I make Wednesday, 14 January the cutoff day for entry into the game.

Peter
pbangarth
Player characters. I need to know soon.

Peter
Iscariot
If you have the room, I would really enjoy a good game. I have played SR1-SR3 and have the SR4 books. I just have not had a chance to play SR4 yet.

1) PST Time Zone. GMT-8

2) As long as needed, though 4-6 sounds good. Longer will require at least a break or two.

3) Weekends are completely open as are weekday evenings.

4) The dates you have posted do far sound like a good starting date.

I would probably avoid hacking or active magic for this character as I get better used to the 4th edition mechanics.
ChiPsiUp
Question! You mentioned that there will be some amount of going into the great outdoors during the campaign. Without spoiling... could you please let me know just how much travel and leaving urban areas there will be? My character is a rigger, and I don't want to spend my precious resource points into a nice car only to find out that we end up dumped in the Amazon for 4 months after the first session or somesuch. smile.gif
pbangarth
Yeah, it sucks when you prepare for X and life throws you Y, immediately followed by Z.

grinbig.gif

Peter

PS. I said earlier you are privy to the info on the covers of GC, and there it mentions Seattle, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, and South America. How portable is your vehicle?
ChiPsiUp
Not portable enough? xD I have no clue. The issue with riggers is that they're so gear-centric. Big stuff too, not easily transported if you need to leave the country in a hurry. *sigh* Maybe the rigger is a bad character idea for the campaign. smile.gif
Octopiii
So here's my character:

Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

This is actually my first Street Sam-type character (I usually play mages, adepts, and even a rigger once!); it's astonishing how much time you have to spend going over the gear lists! Of course, I didn't help things by using Augmentations, Runner's Companion, and Arsenol - can we use those books? I didn't get anything too gonzo, though the pistol sized grenade launcher is kind of pushing it cool.gif .

As for time: Friday or Sat is good for me; if we do Sunday, I have my RL Shadowrun group that plays from 11-4 or so on Sundays, so after that would work for me as well.

EDIT: Took off FK License for Ex-Ex Ammo, added Fire Resistance 4 to my FFBA
Octopiii
QUOTE (ChiPsiUp @ Jan 12 2009, 06:41 PM) *
Not portable enough? xD I have no clue. The issue with riggers is that they're so gear-centric. Big stuff too, not easily transported if you need to leave the country in a hurry. *sigh* Maybe the rigger is a bad character idea for the campaign. smile.gif

In my experiance, a rotodrone is plenty portable and still very nasty cyber.gif
ChiPsiUp
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Jan 13 2009, 03:47 AM) *
In my experiance, a rotodrone is plenty portable and still very nasty cyber.gif

Well yes, a rotodrone. smile.gif But probably less so a Steel Lynx, or a tricked out GMC Bulldog Step-Van.

Oh well. I'll just spend less on the big stuff, buy more small things, and be less attached to my shiny, shiny material goods.
Knight Saber
Here's my first character idea, a generalist hermetic mage, street name Lamia

Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]
The Jake
Not to sound like a killjoy, but I wasn't aware you can have fake licenses for Forbidden equipment. E.g. Assault Rifles.

- J.
Chrysalis
I'm having to rush off to the university right now, but I can say that I cannot play next weekend as I will before the entire time in Jyväskylä preparing for my nomination as member comittee president of AIESEC in Finland.

However, normally after 8PM on Saturdays is acceptable.

Octopiii
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 12 2009, 10:42 PM) *
Not to sound like a killjoy, but I wasn't aware you can have fake licenses for Forbidden equipment. E.g. Assault Rifles.

- J.

If that's in reference to my AK-97, it's 4R per p.309 in the core. The Ares Crusader is a machine pistol in arsenal.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 13 2009, 12:36 AM) *
I'm having to rush off to the university right now, but I can say that I cannot play next weekend as I will before the entire time in Jyväskylä preparing for my nomination as member comittee president of AIESEC in Finland.
However, normally after 8PM on Saturdays is acceptable.

Congratulations!

Next weekend is the 17th. We are planning for the 24th. Is that OK for you, Chrysalis?

Peter

Edit: This may be a local twist on the meaning of "next weekend". Chrysalis, you may mean that the 17th is -this- weekend whereas the 24th is -next- weekend. Damn, English is so easy to mess up.
Fyndhal
Here's the background on my character, David "Mau" Elston, Cat Shaman. It's in the "twenty questions" format.

To answer your question from the other thread, Mau is an anthropological archaeologist, specializing in tracking the influence and importance of "Cat" in unawakened civilizations.

[ Spoiler ]

And here are the stats. Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious...though, damned if I know where I'd scavenge the points from to get it! smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Last Edit: 1/17/2009 23:13PDT (Corrected Armor section)
pbangarth
Fyndhal, I had a quick look over your character description and stats. This looks like a fun character to play, I look forward to having him in the group.

A few points regarding the stats:

1)
Mau's armor adds to a little over 2X his BOD, so encumbrance is a bit of an issue.
2)
For a master's degree, the BBB suggests a Knowledge Skill of 5, whereas you have given him 3. Also, he probably has an undergraduate degree in Anthropology (few universities split the two in undergraduate level), so that should be more like 4.
3)
I count his Active Skills adding to 170, not 168 BP.
4)
I count his Magic costs as 70 BP, not 78 BP.

If I am right on 3) and 4), that gives you another 6 BP with which to play.

Peter
pbangarth
Knight Saber, Lamia is well constructed. I see some cool Knowledge Skills that will come in handy.

You should list your native language (presumably English?) in your languages list. For slow thinkers like me. twirl.gif

Peter
pbangarth
Octopiii, you gotta love a character that knows fish! Glad to see some muscle showing up in the group.

I think you over charged Fishbreath for Attributes by 20 BP. Possibly, you overlooked the fact that orks start with STR 3. Have a look.

All the core books are available for use.

I haven't checked the restricted vs. forbidden thing. Have another look at that to be sure.

Peter
pbangarth
unseen, a hacker or technomancer would add a lot of capability to the team. I look forward to seeing what you cook up.

Oddly enough, though I was a computer programmer for many years before changing careers, I have avoided immersing myself in the Matrix rules the way I have for other aspects of the game. I will be remedying that.

Peter
pbangarth
ChiPsiUp, I believe you are coming out with a rigger type? That will make the team quite strong in the AR/VR world. I'm eager to see what you have created.

Peter
pbangarth
OK, I am getting recent interest from the following people:

Fyndhal - Mau - cat shaman
Knight Saber - Lamia - hermetic mage
Octopiii - Fishbreath - ex-armed forces guy
unseen - hacker/technomancer
ChiPsiUp - rigger
Iscariot - NOT mage or hacker

The Jake is interested, but I don't know anything about character type.

6 or 7 makes a good group and not too unwieldy. 2 with strengths astrally, two with strengths with AR/VR, and two (?) grounded in the physical world, plus an unknown. Sounds like a well rounded group.

The Jake, or Iscariot, how are you with a 'face' character?

Peter
Fyndhal
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 13 2009, 12:35 PM) *
Fyndhal, I had a quick look over your character description and stats. This looks like a fun character to play, I look forward to having him in the group.

Thanks! I've had fun making him.

A few points regarding the stats:

1)
Mau's armor adds to a little over 2X his BOD, so encumbrance is a bit of an issue.

Hrm. Yeah, good point. If I'm adding correctly, he'd be at 3x Body with the Coat, Helmet and STVP. Sounds like I need to ditch something...or figure out how to raise Body! smile.gif
2)
For a master's degree, the BBB suggests a Knowledge Skill of 5, whereas you have given him 3. Also, he probably has an undergraduate degree in Anthropology (few universities split the two in undergraduate level), so that should be more like 4.

Yeah, I skimped a bit there. Even with the College Education quality, he's only tossing 4 dice. I'll likely drop Academic Politics and use those points to increase Archaeology and Anthropology both to 4.

3)
I count his Active Skills adding to 170, not 168 BP.
4)
I count his Magic costs as 70 BP, not 78 BP.

If I am right on 3) and 4), that gives you another 6 BP with which to play.

Peter

I trusted DamienKnight's sheet to do the math right on this. I'll go over it tonight and make sure it's adding up properly. 6 more points would be wonderful! smile.gif

Here's the math, done by hand. Looks like it was correct, and I don't have extra BP to spend. /sigh

[ Spoiler ]
Iscariot
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 13 2009, 04:21 PM) *
The Jake, or Iscariot, how are you with a 'face' character?

Peter

I think I can pull off a face. With the added BP he can be pretty decent in a fight too. I'll poke around after work and see what I can come up with.
Chrysalis
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 13 2009, 09:52 AM) *
Congratulations!

Next weekend is the 17th. We are planning for the 24th. Is that OK for you, Chrysalis?

Peter

Edit: This may be a local twist on the meaning of "next weekend". Chrysalis, you may mean that the 17th is -this- weekend whereas the 24th is -next- weekend. Damn, English is so easy to mess up.

Indeed this week, it's this weekend, next week it's the next weekend. As I wrote it I did think that you may not have understood, yes it is the 24th that I am in Kernton (Jyväskylä).

-Chrysalis
Unseen
So, here's my character. Again, I'm open to suggestions and I've gone with an Orc TM named Barris York. I'm much happier with this character.

[ Spoiler ]

And, his updated background.

[ Spoiler ]
Fyndhal
Unseen, based on your background, you might want to consider SINner: Standard and either Enemy, Hunted or Wanted. Possibly more than one.

Statwise, I can't offer much in the way of advice. No Infiltration is a tad scary, and only 1 die for Gymnastics seems low, but that's theorycraft on my part since this is my first 4th ed game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012