Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rea life cyberdeck?!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hobgoblin
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/06/asus-ee...board-revealed/

looks like the cyberdeck is here. now where is that simsense module?
Stahlseele
now opne of those little things that looks like glasses but has little screens for lenses and built in phones and you're good to go . . literally!
hobgoblin
like say these?
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/...uzix_920av.html

wink.gif
Stahlseele
yeah those.
Tyro
drool...
Ryu
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 7 2009, 01:13 PM) *

iGlasses? The streets will get more dangerous once those are available.
hobgoblin
variants of them have been available for some time.

but these looks especially interesting as the options are stereo video camera and bluetooth head movement tracker.

can someone say proto-AR glasses? wink.gif
Stahlseele
i can't, i allways sound like a pirate when i try to say that ._.
Tyro
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 7 2009, 04:53 AM) *
i can't, i allways sound like a pirate when i try to say that ._.

QFT. Pirates of SR unite!
Blade
Funny, when I saw this my initial reaction was "A cyberdeck? How old-fashioned!"

As for AR-glasses, the Vuzix 920AV glasses definitely apply. They lack cameras, but the head-tracking can compensate. I'm actually contemplating coupling them with a Pandora, but I'll have to see the price tag first.
The Jopp
Hmmm, I'll just wait for apple to add some accessories to the i-Phone
i-Glasses
i-Phones
i-Touch gloves
Ryu
QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 7 2009, 02:37 PM) *
Funny, when I saw this my initial reaction was "A cyberdeck? How old-fashioned!"

Old-fashioned is indeed right. I assume your first PC was either desktop or tower, as you are several years younger than I?
Blade
"My" (my family's to be exact) first PC as in "IBM PC" was a Desktop (PC 1512), but my first PC as in "Personal Computer" (not necessarily IBM) was a CPC-464.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 7 2009, 03:35 PM) *
Old-fashioned is indeed right. I assume your first PC was either desktop or tower, as you are several years younger than I?

I don't know how old you are but my first PC has been an 8088.
I wonder how long those AR-glasses can go on before needing to be recharged.
Blade
Looks like they're expecting a 6 hour battery life for the AR-glasses.
As for Ryu, he's 31 years old, if his profile is to be trusted.
hobgoblin
yep, 6 hours using 2 standard AA batteries...
Ryu
QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 7 2009, 04:46 PM) *
As for Ryu, he's 31 years old, if his profile is to be trusted.

It is. But I would say that. wink.gif
nylanfs
Personally I thought the wearable computer that Xybernaut was coming out with back in the mid to late 90's would be ideal for early cyberdeck's. But they had financial, marketing and battery issues, and as far as I know nobody has bought their tech yet after they went under.
Cain
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 7 2009, 07:43 AM) *
I don't know how old you are but my first PC has been an 8088.

I can still remember when college computer labs packed Commodores.

Get off my lawn, you meddling kids! biggrin.gif
pbangarth
My first PC was a Commodore PET with 16K ram and a cassette tape deck for program and data storage. I thought long and hard about an Apple II but couldn't afford it. Plus ça change...

Peter
Cadmus
is it bad that I remember my dad bringing home a 2,000 dollor PC, it had I think 100 or less meg on the hard drive,

Then again I was the only kid in school to bring his home work in on printer paper, its great parents always know when your home work is done becouse the Dot matrix printer kicks in and wakes up the nabors. heheh
Rayzorblades
I remember my first PC. 4600 bucks it cost my folks with all the bells and whistles. 66 mhz 486, 4 megs of ram and 400 megs of HD. Good times.
Heath Robinson
Is this a reminiscence thread? I barely remember playing Doom on a 486, running a proprietary DOS front end called Toybox. I was 5.

But, yeah, PCs built into peripherals are nothing new. Choosing the keyboard is interesting, though. And the form factor is excellent. I kinda wonder what they're doing with it.
ornot
The form factor is indeed clever. I wonder what they're doing about heat... Not much space for a heatsink, but then it always amazes me how far that tech has come. When I mucked about with computers cooling was always an issue. I doubt my SO would appreciate me setting up a water cooling system today.

My first computer (or rather mine and my brother's first computer) was a rubber keyboard ZX Spectrum! The first IBM compatible PC we had (which my father bought home prinicipally for work) was an Amstrad with twin floppy drives (5.25"). Yay for 4 colour games!
Stahlseele
This NewEEE DOES remind MEEE of the old Amiga 500.
I heard rumors about Prototypes of Roll-UpDisplays. so that might be a nice addition.

i started out with an older Amiga500 in i think 1992 in the age of 8 years old, then one year later i got a buggy old 386 with DOS and Windows 3.11 and civ1 on it . .
3 years later i switched to one one of those computers with the Turbo-Button being able to go from 100 to 150MHz ON THE FLY! 32MB RAM and 16MB Graphics Adapter i think with an 2 Gig HDD . . enough to play settlers 2 on ^^
2 years after that, AMD K6-2 with 350MHz, 64MB RAM and 32MB Graphics Adapter an 8Gig HDD. Command and Conquer ran under Windows98
1 year later i think one of the first Pentium 2 or something like that with 800MHz, 128MB RAM and 64MB Graphics Adapter with Windows2000 on a 10Gig HDD. dunno what i played in that time. Also, first steps in the Internet, first AOL 56K flat.
0,5 years later, the first GigaHurtz CPU from AMD, the Thunderbird. 256MB RAM, 128MB Graphics Adapter, 20Gig HDD and i think Windows ME. dunno what i played. that one did not last long either, heat strole due to failed CPU-Cooler . . cpu and motherboard melted into each other.
0,5 Years later, first 64Bit CPU from AMD, the 1800+ i think. 512MB RAM, still 128MB Graphics Adapter, 80gig HDD, still Windows ME. dunno what was played, i think it might hae been command and conquer again.
2 years later, cue spending mucho money for new motherboard, CPU, DDR RAM, and Graphics Adapter. Upgrade to 3500+ from AMD, 1 Gig of RAM and 512MB Graphics Adapter.
Have sicne upgraded that computer from time to time with more HDD-Space(tops 1TB internal) new GraphicsAdapter(648MB), Doubles RAM to 2 Gig.
And that's what i am using right here, right now . .
New system is only weeks or months away right now, and i plan on spending about 2500 euro on that one . .
JFixer
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 7 2009, 02:35 PM) *

My first computer was a tape-deck wired to a TV...

Anyone else remember computer tapes?
pbangarth
QUOTE (JFixer @ Jan 8 2009, 10:21 AM) *
My first computer was a tape-deck wired to a TV...
Anyone else remember computer tapes?

The electronic tapes, or the paper tapes which stored machine language with punched holes? Been there with both.

Peter
ornot
Was there a home computer that used punch cards?

The speccy ran off magnetic tape, and so did the Commodore we got after my mum trod on the Spectrum. We'd put on a tape to load a game, and then go do something else for half an hour while psychadelic colours streamed across the tv screen.
pbangarth
QUOTE (ornot @ Jan 8 2009, 11:25 AM) *
Was there a home computer that used punch cards?

The speccy ran off magnetic tape, and so did the Commodore we got after my mum trod on the Spectrum. We'd put on a tape to load a game, and then go do something else for half an hour while psychadelic colours streamed across the tv screen.

No, it was a PDP-8 in the basement of the computer science department that had the paper tape. Game loading at home was the same as above for my Commodore PET, though.

Peter
hobgoblin
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20090109/to...st-gadget-ever/

AR anyone? that video would be perfect for showing new players how things work wink.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 8 2009, 06:31 PM) *
The electronic tapes, or the paper tapes which stored machine language with punched holes? Been there with both.

Peter

dude, you're like . . ancient or something O.o
hobgoblin
ok people, i had a bit one while watching this:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090...e-palm-pre.html

now consider that a comlink, hook it up to the glasses i linked to earlier, and then envision that whole setup doing the AR thing i just linked to.

the future is now people, all the parts are here. we just need to complete the puzzle!
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 9 2009, 11:28 AM) *
dude, you're like . . ancient or something O.o

If we were to grow old as fast as technology becomes outdated we would be dead before going to school, I remember the first time I've seen a FPS (Doom 2), it seems ancient history (msybe it is it was in the past millenium biggrin.gif ), yet .... I've got a car that has half of my age, it's old but it still does its job remarcably well, just think trying to use a computer of the beginning of the '90s nowdays dead.gif , also do you think I'm old because I'm from the '80s? No, at least I don't think so.
It's a matter of perception, the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) is younger than me but it seems something like a steam-powered locomotive: ancient.
Stahlseele
< = Assembly-Date 06.20.1984 . .
Blade
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 9 2009, 11:43 AM) *
ok people, i had a bit one while watching this:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090...e-palm-pre.html

now consider that a comlink, hook it up to the glasses i linked to earlier, and then envision that whole setup doing the AR thing i just linked to.

the future is now people, all the parts are here. we just need to complete the puzzle!

Yes, you'd just lack the cameras and you'd need to be able to choose exactly what you send to the glasses.
The problem is that the glasses only act as a screen, they just display things and I can't think of any way to get such a display to display only a few AR objects. Maybe you could have a defined area with a display, maybe with some transparency, but you probably can't have anything more advanced than that.
It'd still be an interesting start, though.
Chrysalis
The Nokia N800 Internet Tablet is pretty cool.

Sony has a scroll screen which is a flexible roller blind kind of screen. It also contains a computer with wifi access. Apparently it works through a stylus. Estimated release date is in the future, when people get used to ubiquitous computing.

My mobile phone has wifi access, and I can do quite a bit with it, including making phone calls.

-Chrysalis

hobgoblin
QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 9 2009, 12:13 PM) *
Yes, you'd just lack the cameras and you'd need to be able to choose exactly what you send to the glasses.
The problem is that the glasses only act as a screen, they just display things and I can't think of any way to get such a display to display only a few AR objects. Maybe you could have a defined area with a display, maybe with some transparency, but you probably can't have anything more advanced than that.
It'd still be an interesting start, though.

the glasses i linked to will have the option of stereo cameras (that is 3D, basically) and head tracking...
Blade
Ah right, interesting. The problem of displaying the AR overlay only in some places still stands, though, except if the video input accepts an alpha channel, but I'm not sure if that's possible with the standards.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 9 2009, 12:00 PM) *
< = Assembly-Date 06.20.1984 . .

< = Assembly-Date 06.07.1982
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 9 2009, 12:44 PM) *
My mobile phone has wifi access, and I can do quite a bit with it, including making phone calls.

-Chrysalis

I don't get it. What do you mean with "including making phone calls"? Isn't it what phones are for?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 9 2009, 02:45 PM) *
I don't get it. What do you mean with "including making phone calls"? Isn't it what phones are for?

i suspect its a tongue in cheek kind of comment, in that the phone feature is the least marketed one these days...

kinda like those late night tv shop products that can do all kinds of crazy things, and then also something basic (often told in a tone making it almost a afterthought)
Chrysalis
I can also set it to do VoIP calls when there is a wifi connection, or switch between GRPS, UMTS, and wifi.

But yes it was a tongue in cheek comment. smile.gif
awolfromlife
My first Family computer was a IBM PC. My first computer was a TRS-80
Stahlseele
i still wonder why nobody has as of yet built a cellphone into a notebook . .
so you can use the speakers/built in microphone for making phone calls and type your SMS's on the laptops keyboard instead of having to do it on those stupid little phone keyboards . .
with UMTS and the built in cams you could do video-calls . .
but noo, they try and cram laptops and digitalcams into the cellphones . . when it would be easier to fit a cellphone into a modern digital camera x.x . .
hobgoblin
there are laptops available now that has built in mobile radio (generally known as WWAN or Wireless Wide Area Network). but they are mostly aimed at the business markets, and priced to match.

still, things are happening, but one have to really watch the tech news to spot it...
Tyro
I wonder what the average age is on the forums... I was born/assembled 26-May-1987.
Stahlseele
i know about laptops with UMTS . . but i want full cellphone functionality in there . .
it should behave just like a cellphone . .
average should be about 30, because we have some older guys around *grins*
Chrysalis
You mean like a Nokia Communicator?

hobgoblin
i would say its mostly a software issue...

that and the meme of a phone as something you hold to your ear...
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 10 2009, 07:01 PM) *
You mean like a Nokia Communicator?

no.
a full-size 15.4 or bigger laptop/notebook that lets you call people via the cell-phone network using the built in speakers and micro.
that let's you type SMS on the full size keyboard. and read them on the full size screen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012