Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thread in German?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ryu
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jan 15 2009, 11:08 AM) *
German boards suck, so why should I give antoher one a try when dumpshock is here to feed my SR-addiction?

Huh. For the greater good of German SR, or not at all. I´m in for the effort, but most of my crew already owns a (passive) Pegasus account.
Dragnar
Only two pages of our glorious germanic culture and it degenerates into flamewars that aren't even related to this forum, but a german one...
How about discussing that stuff somewhere people are interested in it, wherever that might be.
Quite a visual example of why I don't bother with the german forums, though.
Embarassing, really...
Medicineman
Look. I don't like you, Tycho, or your style of getting personal over disagreeances about whether or not SR4 is the new evangelium. You will just have to learn to live with that. So could you please lay off the flaming and slandering part a bit?
I don't like you and your Lying and deliberately twisting of the Truth either.And to be quit honest. I'm happy to not have to interact with you on the German Forums. But if You can live with it,I can do so to . I thinkits best to Ignore your.... Postings (except when they're wrong ) i'm not flaming, merely telling the Truth .If thats flaming for you ......

"Amerikaner moegen eben lieber einen Comicstil, waehrend Deutsche es lieber tiefsinnig-duester moegen" says something different (implicitly, but nonetheless), especially considering the negative connotation of shallowness annd just being bad the woord comic in German carries. I stand by my calling Corn on Racism there.
And to Repeat it once again (as if it wasn't repeated enough in the other Forums) He was citing a Dumpshock user or Developer and it was just a Remark about different tastes . IIRC you made a big Issue and got a Warning by Nyx
I'm not sure anymore who was it ,and i won't check on that (it would be a dumb waste of Time) sleepy.gif

with a Final Dance
Medicineman

P.S:
@Dragnar and others
I'm really sorry but I hope you understand that sometimes you just have to answer somebody even if you know that its Futile
I will try (really Hard ) not to answer Hermit anymore !!
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jan 15 2009, 12:05 PM) *
Only two pages of our glorious germanic culture and it degenerates into flamewars that aren't even related to this forum, but a german one...
How about discussing that stuff somewhere people are interested in it, wherever that might be.
Quite a visual example of why I don't bother with the german forums, though.
Embarassing, really...

ladies and gentle-beings!
the gist of german boards . . sadly . .
Grinder
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 15 2009, 12:05 PM) *
Huh. For the greater good of German SR, or not at all. I´m in for the effort, but most of my crew already owns a (passive) Pegasus account.

I don't care much about German SR. I hope Pegasus does well with it and wish them much success, but I won't enter a german board just for that.

@hermit & Medicineman if you want to insult each other, please do it via PM.
hermit
I will try (really Hard ) not to answer Hermit anymore !!

I never asked you anything to begin with.
Grinder
Stop it! mad.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jan 15 2009, 12:24 PM) *
I don't care much about German SR. I hope Pegasus does well with it and wish them much success, but I won't enter a german board just for that.

You will have noticed that I consider that choice perfectly valid.
Medicineman
nobody wants to force anybody (at least I won't biggrin.gif )
It's just that after 2 or 3 Years of Licence abscence (sounds strange in German... Licence abscence spin.gif )
it has become a little ......quiet.
And we could use some input .... even if its Badwrongfun Input like Virgin Elfinmaids on Unicorns or 4 armed Trolls from Hell (MWP4 eek.gif )

Hough!
Medicineman
Grinder
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 15 2009, 12:38 PM) *
You will have noticed that I consider that choice perfectly valid.

Yep. smile.gif
Blade
I told you you take everything much too seriously wink.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 15 2009, 02:21 PM) *
I told you you take everything much too seriously wink.gif

Yes, you did - unfortunately the quality of discourse only partially depends on the degree of motivation, while the length does. wink.gif
-Nyx-
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 14 2009, 11:14 AM) *
I think it would be a nice touch to at least consider the official forum. If the German-speaking DS crew went there occasionally, it wouldn´t stay dead for long.

I'd say the main problem for the German forum being visited less frequently is the combination of Shadowrun being not supported by a German publisher for several years and the fact that the current publications are just translations of already existing English books.

So most people either already bought at least the English PDFs and went to the DS-Forum or the English website for questions or are still waiting for the books to be published in German. So it needs time to re-animate the German fanbase and close the time-gap between English and German publications (and maybe start some new "German only/first"-books).

But years of SR-Germany sleeping in the Fanpro-void took its toll. So Pegasus appreciates any help on re-animating it... smile.gif

The latest news on SR-Germany were published yesterdays in Tigger's Werkstattbericht (garage report (?))... including news on the "NovaPuls"-newsfax and its delay (as already mentioned by Medicineman IIRC).
___

And no, racist remarks are not tolerated in the German forum... but talking about simple differences between art-styles preferred in Germany and/or the U.S. are in no way racistic... and I concider this talk quite off-topic, too. *shrugs*
___

QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jan 15 2009, 07:05 AM) *

Two German posters arguing about German "problems" in an English-speaking, U.S.-based forum... if the cause wouldn't be so ludicrous, it would be an example of "positive globalization"... grinbig.gif
GreyBrother
I'm not really interested in German Shadowrun. I told my GM (who likes it and longs for the german publications although he can read english) that i don't consider any german translations valid since some of them aren't translated one to one (Diagnostics jumps into my mind) thus dilluting the original Rules.

No, i don't have faith in Pegasus, but i will watch what they do. I couldn't catch a copy of Arsenal or ... Bodytech (why the heck replacing an english title with another english one?) but if they actually make some good work... well, let's say an old wolf learns new tricks too.
Grinder
What's the problem with Diagnostics and it's translation?
-Nyx-
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jan 15 2009, 12:26 PM) *

I don't know (since I don't have both books at hand ATM), but maybe this would be a good choise to "relocate" to the Pegasus-Forum... wink.gif

Since it would be less interesting for the non-German-readers than for German ones... cyber.gif
___

QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Jan 15 2009, 12:04 PM) *
I'm not really interested in German Shadowrun. I told my GM (who likes it and longs for the german publications although he can read english) that i don't consider any german translations valid since some of them aren't translated one to one (Diagnostics jumps into my mind) thus dilluting the original Rules.

Well... this has been one of the problems with Fanpro... at first they didn't want to "copy" the rules and included their own "changes", later they were not able to produce books with at least some people checking the translation.

Nevertheless, there has only one book been published by Pegasus (Arsenal 2070), with some others scheduled for January/February (BodyTech, Emergence), but at least the one published so far has been without "heavy translation-errors" (at least as far as I know).
And I didn't think that Tigger intends to make "his own translations"... at least he wasn't someone supporting this crap back in Fanpro-days... wink.gif

QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Jan 15 2009, 12:04 PM) *
No, i don't have faith in Pegasus, but i will watch what they do. I couldn't catch a copy of Arsenal or ... Bodytech (why the heck replacing an english title with another english one?) but if they actually make some good work... well, let's say an old wolf learns new tricks too.

Good to hear the last sentence... grinbig.gif

And the Augmentation/BodyTech switch was done due to the fact, that a large part of the German players are able to understand some English, but since this is mere school-English most times, Augmentation was beyond the understanding of the majority (at least without relying to a dictionary)... BodyTech on the other hand should be quite simple to understand... wink.gif

And well... short, unsuspicious, and fairly well sounding names in German for Augmentation... we tried but were not able to come up with... frown.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (-Nyx- @ Jan 15 2009, 06:00 PM) *
I don't know (since I don't have both books at hand ATM), but maybe this would be a good choise to "relocate" to the Pegasus-Forum... ;)

Since it would be less interesting for the non-German-readers than for German ones... cyber.gif

Nice try. grinbig.gif
Medicineman
Maybe I can Explain...
in the German BBB (from Fanpro ! )
the Diagnostics Power doesn't work with Firerarms and Vehicles.
And even though I can Understand ,that a Sprite with Diagnostics can't give a higher Bonus with a smartlinked Weapon(+4 instead of the usual +2)at shooting with Guns I don't understand why it can't be used in cars ?
Nevertheless, there was a big issue with People proclaiming about Technomancers being the best (or better)Streetsamurai because of this
and other Issues about wether you should allow Diagnostic Powers with Cars,Weapons,etc. There was even on funny Remark (funny because it was meant serious) about having a Sword with a Comlink,putting a Sprite with Diagnostics in the Comlink and being a better Swordsfighter.
But this was due to faulty and lacking Translation and some Overzealous (right Word ?) on the Former German Part.The New Wolf doesn't look like a Wolf anymore....more like a Tigger grinbig.gif

with explaining Dance
Medicieneman
i101
I dont think that dumpshock really needs a german speaking part. A lot of germans have found their shadowrun home here and sofar it worked very nice for all of us. Question now is, why waste time and try to create a german subboard? The german shadowrun boards never felt well, one of the reasons has just happend, flaming sucks. However, I honestly doubt that a german subboard here on DS, would help the german shadowrun community.
Medicineman
I'll keep on trying in english.Please correct me if my spelling's wrong(or the meaning)

with a Bilingual Dance
Medicineman
GreyBrother
Nyx: Thanks for that tidbit of info. I'm always grateful for the Whys of such decisions.
And the announcement of not including "Translation errors" (wink.gif) is one of the reasons i keep waiting. Although the ADL as a Setting is not of interest for me in any way (except maybe Hamburg) i see forward to an update about Europa as a whole, especially Czech Republic and Austria.
Ryu
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jan 15 2009, 05:26 PM) *

That the exclusion of vehicles and weapons was added.

Did you notice that you are technically not allowed to increase the AoE of a spell under German SR4?
Tycho
Sorry, for the offtopic, but after hermits offenses I have to respond...

QUOTE ("hermit")
For one, the tone on German boards is notably less friendly than on dumpshock, as there is no netiquette (in fact, the moderators on Pegasus consider it unnescessary to set one up).

It seems like it has been unnecessary until you showed up...

QUOTE ("hermit")
And it's probably just a strange coincidence that always happens to be Tycho and you.

If all admins, all of the Shadowrun mods and some of the other mods share the same opinion, it could not be that wrong...

QUOTE ("hermit")
Sorry, I just am sick of this guy spreading lies.

I could say the same of you...

QUOTE ("hermit")
Look. I don't like your and Tycho's style of getting personal over disagreeances about whether or not SR4 is the new evangelium. You will just have to learn to live with that, if agreeing to disagree is impossible for you.

I have no problem with people saying they dislike SR4...
I have a problem with you, trolling around in forums, spreading lies or posting you "deep knowledge" of how bad SR4 is, even after you proved yourself lacking of basic rule knowledge and used arguments like "nobody used this rule at SR3" after you were informed, that the SR4 rule you criticized is a word to word copy of the SR3 rules. The problem is not you disliking SR4, it is you willing to convince everybody else at all cost, that SR4 is bad...

I don't like arguing with you, because you won't be responsive to arguments anyway, you just keep to your belief, even if it got proved wrong. But someone has to do it or actually somebody would believe what you posting, even if will end in a flamewar every time.

again, sorry for the offtopic.
cya
Tycho
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jan 15 2009, 07:12 PM) *
I'll keep on trying in english.Please correct me if my spelling's wrong(or the meaning)

with a Bilingual Dance
Medicineman

little tip from me, allways keep dict.leo.org open somewhere for a quick translation if you can't remember what you need right then.
concentrate on the grammar, that's the more important, and sadly, harder part <.< . .
crizh
Ich sprechen ein bischen Deutch. But that's about the limit of it. Trying to pick my way through the German posts earlier was fun and enlightening, I particularly liked the apparent digressions into various dialects. My wife is currently studying German as part of a Degree in Modern Languages and Linguistics and the house is constantly abuzz with this sort of thing and I enjoy the opportunity to expand my horizons.

Perhaps the German speakers who are motivated to improve their English could take part in a single thread here? If you could be bothered posting in German and English we could all improve our comprehension of both languages in a 'living' situation rather than the dead, stilted RP (Received Pronunciation) one gets from text-books.
Stahlseele
*shrugs*
yall wanna know sum a my german? < =
i think that is a pretty good approximation as to how the different dialects sound to most germans . .
take ebonics, that rap-crap and other such stuff poluting what you english people think is a good language ^^
hermit
Tycho ... just knock it of. I'm tired of your shit. Just go back to the PSF where you are always right. Easier for either side.

The problem is not you disliking SR4, it is you willing to convince everybody else at all cost, that SR4 is bad...

Never done that, it's just what people like you see when someone disagrees with them and doesn't back down immediately.

---------------------

My wife is currently studying German as part of a Degree in Modern Languages and Linguistics and the house is constantly abuzz with this sort of thing and I enjoy the opportunity to expand my horizons.

Ja, allerdings hat Deutsch, obwohl es so starke Dialekte hat wie Englisch, immerhin eine Standardsprache (und nicht mindestens zwei). Allerdings, wuerden Schweizer oder Badener oder Ostfriesen nicht nach der Konvention dieser Standardsprache, sondern nach ihrer Mundart, schreiben, waeren es Sporachen die dem Deutschen weniger ähnlich wären als die nordischen Sprachen (Schwedisch, Norwegisch, Daenisch) untereinander.
Dragnar
KNOCK.IT.OFF.ALREADY.
Everyone.

Geez, not even the germans on here care about your childish personal vendettas, we came here to escape from that kind of crap.
Grinder
Word!
Stahlseele
we are a warlike people . . if we don't find anything on the outside to bitch about, we turn on each other just so we have something to bitch at . .
Blade
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 16 2009, 12:59 AM) *
we are a warlike people .

I'm glad you posted that. I didn't want to be the one who said it. beret.gif
Stahlseele
coming from a frenchman, that would be a filthy lie too *snickers*
Ryu
QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 16 2009, 10:50 AM) *
I'm glad you posted that. I didn't want to be the one who said it. beret.gif

Well, we are not warlike. We have been, but things have changed.

I would usually have said that our seriousness is directed elsewhere nowadays, but given the ill-considered and damaging posts in this thread, saying that would make me feel stupid right now. Iota started out with an idea that aimed at international cooperation, but a select few Germans have effectivly destroyed the usefulness of the thread.
Blade
Heh, don't worry, I'm open-minded enough to avoid making stupid generalizations. wink.gif
After all, I've shared a room with a German for 6 month, and he never tried to expand his Lebensraum. wink.gif
MYST1C
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 16 2009, 12:38 AM) *
Ja, allerdings hat Deutsch, obwohl es so starke Dialekte hat wie Englisch, immerhin eine Standardsprache (und nicht mindestens zwei).

Das ist so nicht ganz richtig. Es wird heute unter Linguisten allgemein akzeptiert, dass Deutsch (genau wie Englisch) eine plurizentrische Sprache ist - neben deutschem Hochdeutsch gibt es auch schweizer Hochdeutsch und österreichisches Hochdeutsch, alle mit ihren kleinen Unterschieden...
Ryu
QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 16 2009, 02:14 PM) *
Heh, don't worry, I'm open-minded enough to avoid making stupid generalizations. wink.gif
After all, I've shared a room with a German for 6 month, and he never tried to expand his Lebensraum. wink.gif

I think we understand each other pretty well. wink.gif
My fondness of a nice red wine clearly shows that I have a French side, too. wink.gif
Blade
QUOTE (MYST1C @ Jan 16 2009, 02:44 PM) *
Das ist so nicht ganz richtig. Es wird heute unter Linguisten allgemein akzeptiert, dass Deutsch (genau wie Englisch) eine plurizentrische Sprache ist - neben deutschem Hochdeutsch gibt es auch schweizer Hochdeutsch und österreichisches Hochdeutsch, alle mit ihren kleinen Unterschieden...

Well, the Unterschieden can be pretty big. From what he told me, my German roommate had nearly as much trouble as I had understanding our Swiss friends when they spoke Schwizerdeutsch.
hermit

Nun, es gibt aber eine gemeinsame Schriftsprache, einheitliche Rechtschreibung und all sowas, was Englisch nun einmal nicht mehr hat - siehe British standard English versus American standard English, während, soweit ich weiß zumindest, die Schweiz und Österreich sogar die aktuelle deutsche Rechtschreibreform übernommen haben. Und diese wiederum erst entstanden ist, weil die damalige DDR sonst genau diese Konvention im deutschsprachigen Raum mit einer eigenen Rechtschreibreform gebrochen hätte. Das war alles worauf ich hinauswollte. Dass es leichte Abwandlungen im Vokabular und der Grammatik gibt stimmt natürlich, aber meines Wissens nach ist das Mundartschreiben und keine unterschiedliche Hochsprache.

Well, the Unterschieden can be pretty big. From what he told me, my German roommate had nearly as much trouble as I had understanding our Swiss friends when they spoke Schwizerdeutsch.

Yes, it's a different language except if written.

My fondness of a nice red wine clearly shows that I have a French side, too.

Badensian reds aren't *that* bad. Though for some reason Asachian wines are notably better, for some mysterious reason. Cannot be the area, as they're from right accross the Rhine ...
Muspellsheimr
Random Post # 4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012