Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Elusive GM hunt
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Mickle5125
'Ello Omae.

Today, I bring to the table a semi-new (at least to me) idea.

I have a character concept I want to play, but it requires a skilled GM and one willing to put some effort into the game. In other words, I'm looking for an Experienced GM.

Basically, I want to play with the second level of the amnesia quality in RC (GM makes the charsheet and the player has no idea about the character.) I'd also like to tie the Exchange into the game (perhaps as one of the only things I woke up with). Finally, I'd like the character to have some Talent, be it in Technomancy, Magic, or Other.

That's it. Metatype, gender, and everything else will be up to the GM'd discression, so if you wanted to build the TM with one Resonance who surged into a squid head, feel free. I'd like to start this as a two person exercise, but the GM should feel free to bring in other characters and players as needed for their plot.

Anyone interested in helping a chummer out?
pbangarth
This sounds interesting. The storytelling could be fantastic. There are a pair of threads in Welcome to the Shadows, "The Story of Keiko" and "The Story of Billiam" that are one-on-one reciprocal stories (GM in one is player in the other). I found those very interesting to read, and am sad that they seem to have stalled a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know what the Exchange is, though. Could you fill me in on it?

Peter
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Runners companion)
The exchange
Uses: Favors, jobs, karmic payback
The Exchange is a seemingly anonymous virtual private network
(VPN) established for doing and receiving favors. Its central
focus is the notion of "pay it forward."The Exchange works as a
background utility that tracks a member's location and situation.
It constantly analyzes the member's situation and compares this information
with the physical locations and assets of other members.
At those times when another member might be of assistance to a
member, it may call on one of those other members for an act of
minor assistance. Members who respond to the VPN's requests for
assistance become more likely to receive assistance in the future.
The favors that The Exchange will grant or request are minor
things. However, these minor actions may have enormous repercussions.
A car might block an alley just in time to allow a member
to escape pursuit. A loud noise might divert someone's attention
at just the right instant. The backdoor to a club might open just as
a member needs to get inside.
It's unclear who has access to The Exchange database.
However, it's important to realize that the entity behind the VPN
knows a great deal about the personalities, locations, and activities
of all of the members.
BlackHat
This does sound interesting - and would be one of the few ways that that level of amnesia would work on dumpshock. smile.gif
You were not entirely clear on what "experienced" means to you, though - and I think that might turn a few people away, if they don't consider themselves "experienced" enough.
Mickle5125
I have this annoying tendency of doing that.... I'll have to work on it.

As to what experienced means: I'd prefer someone who wasn't running their first game with me. If they can use proper English, know the rules, and are feeling mighty creative, I want to hear from them.

Better?
Mickle5125
so, is anyone interested in helping me with this?
BlackHat
Certainly interested in the idea. Not sure if I am the guy to do it, but I might be up for giving it a shot after I've thought about it a little bit to see if I could come up with something compelling.

If somebody else takes up the charge, I will definitely be reading along to see how it turns out.
Sir_Psycho
If this idea floats, I have a character concept (and statistical draught) I'd like to contribute. It's a little... adult. A product of the darker environments and fetishes of the sixth world turned to the shadows. His background is a little confronting, but he might have some commonalities with an amnesiac runner, he's a surgeling who was picked from his simple life in India and put to depraved use and slavery, so he's been moved and sold and escaped and hence doesn't have contacts or friends. He's a social and stealthy adept with an androgynous bent and specialties in seduction, impersonation and wetwork.

I've got an urge to roleplay, but I'd be happy to be understated and complimentary to the story, rather than a verbose mary sue. I'm interested to just see if this idea takes off.
Dumori
Mikle how about a Gm player swap you run Spider one-one one with me and I'll run yours though I'll come back with an yes when i get an idea for a plot it wont be that long. Hopefuly.
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jan 25 2009, 10:13 AM) *
Mikle how about a Gm player swap you run Spider one-one one with me and I'll run yours though I'll come back with an yes when i get an idea for a plot it wont be that long. Hopefuly.

honestly, I don't really have time right now to GM anything. I'm pulling 15 hour days (with no internet access) between school and work. *laughs* wow, that sounds rediculously hypocritical due to the fact that I'm asking for a new game to start up, but I've found that GMing takes a crapload more time than playing... *shrugs*
Sir_Psycho
I was thinking about this again and I realised I have some ideas with some half-baked (so far) intricacy that would work well with the general idea of what you work, so I'd like to put my name down as the GM. I can't boast too much practical experience, as I've never really made contact with large gaming groups, only playing with maximum two other guys in real life for a few sessions, coming down to about three or four separate runs (not including PBP/Gmail games that have fallen through, as well as unreliable RL gamers), although I have all the SR4 books except for Feral Cities as well as extensive back catalogue and background knowledge (that's also bolstered by regular attendance here at dumpshock.)

I'd like to put my name down, and I'm experimenting with a few builds. If you'd like to see my only online GM'ing style, I've started a game on my local forum with some shadowrun newbies. It's early on, so it's very wordy and roleplay focused at the moment, but I hope I can move it along. The first IC post is here.
Dumori
I'm still up to Gm as well.
Mickle5125
Dumori, since I'm already in one of your games, I think I'm going to go with Sir_Psycho. However! once I free up some time and get some ideas fleshed out, I'll look into doing that GM swap thing with you. I just need to flesh out some ideas first.

Sir_Psycho, your style looks good and certainly interesting, so my first question is this: What sorts of half-baked ideas do you have?
Sir_Psycho
Well, if I tell let you in on my idea formulation it will ruin the surprise you're looking for, won't it? I am pretty sure on what "special talent" your player will have, and I would like to involve the exchange.

I've definately got ideas for plot direction, but I'm having trouble statting out the character. I keep just punching in skills and then realising I've got obscene BP counts. I was wondering if some-one with a knack for character creation could PM me and I could explain the general gist of what I want the character's stats to look like, and then stat him up, with the touch of limitation I can't seem to muster. It would also enhance the random nature of an amnesia game, adding another level of chaos to the process. Anyone interested?
BlackHat
I would be up for helping out (you could always ask multiple people, and combine their ideas however you like).
Also, I would suggest that for a one-player game where the character doesn't know anything about his stats, having an obscenely high BP character may not be a terrible thing.
Mickle5125
well, yeah, letting me in on everything would mess things up a bit, but generalities were what I was looking for. Locale, whether you wanted to start a week after waking up, or 2 minutes before I wake up... that sorta thing. ^_^
Glyph
I would be interested in helping you stat an amnesiac, Sir_Psycho. I fiddle with builds a lot for fun, and I've even put together some amnesiac types. Like BlackHat says, you could have more than one person have a go at it, and pick the one you like best (or make a composite of two or more of them).
Sir_Psycho
Sure thing, Glyph. I've enjoyed working with you in the past (even if it was short lived) on that Hollywood game (my first ever SR4 game). If you ask Blackjack I'm sure he'll forward our correspondance so far, which I hope you'll find interesting, and there's a few problems we haven't nutted out yet that you might have solutions for. I've got to jet over to my girlfriend's, possibly for a few days, so I won't have access to the internet (she doesn't pay her bills), but I've got the character so far on my laptop and I'll do some work on it there.
BlackHat
Despite being called "Blackjack" I'll forward that stuff along as soon as I get to work.
Sir_Psycho
Freudian slip. Take it as a subconscious compliment.

Anyway, the girlfriend went to work today, so I figured I'd stop home and out the thread. I'll compile me and Blackhat's correspondance for Glyph in case it hasn't been sent yet, and I'll also mention a few things I've been thinking over.

By the way, Mickle, I know the nature of the game means your input is limited, but do you have any ideas about what style of game you like to play? I personally lean towards darker plots and roleplay, and as a player (and GM, I suppose) I personally enjoy stealth based games. However, is there anything about Shadowrun other than The Exchange you would like me to highlight? High action? Emotion? Social manipulation? The only thing I really have a problem with is full-blown vehicle combat, as it becomes a number-crunching exercise. However, because I'm already enlisting help from other GM's, I could likely outsource that number crunching to some-one with a knack for it.
Mickle5125
for the most part, my preferences seem to run parallel to yours. What I'm really looking for with this game is Role Playing instead of Roll playing, which seems surprisingly easy since I don't know what the Rolls will be.

I don't know how much I'll be on this weekend. Heading out of town, and I'm not entirely positive if I'll have wireless access where I'm going. If I do, I'll post replies to any questions you may have for me. If not, I'll post replies on Monday.
Dark Talon
I really like the setting you guys are going for, and I love immersive role-playing. Also, the idea of the Exchange is really awesome; if you need a runner companion who is willing to do get caught up in anything, just let me know. It'd also be fun to RP a bit of an "exchange" if you already have a co-runner. Regardless, I love the idea and look forward to reading more!
Sir_Psycho
I'm not sure about it yet, but I may be accepting dumpshockers to play as supplementary runners on a per-run basis, if Mickle needs areas covered that his character isn't able to sufficiently cover.

Anyway, I've got a near-final draught of the character that I've been working on, which I'll be submitting to Blackhat and Glyph for opinions. I have a good idea of the over-arching plot direction, as well as some early events that the character can get involved in.

Before we start though, and before I get too attached to my ideas, I'd like to get an idea of what's acceptable to you, Mickle. If I have an opening, I'm very happy to bring very adult and confronting concepts into the game. Given the role-play intensive game that I envision, if the character gets into any contentious situations, they will be described in appropriate and confronting detail. For example, if the character gets into a violent confrontation, it will be described in appropriately bloody detail. I'm just wondering if you have any sensibilities that I might offend, whether they're simply moral or religious or influenced by personal events. How do you feel about themes like sexuality, religion, violence, rape, slavery, etc?

Also, because this amnesiac flaw means I can take a great deal of license that standard 400bp RAW character creation wouldn't allow, Blackhat suggested that I warn you that some of the abilities, situations and setting may contradict Shadowrun canon at times. I should mention it, in case something comes up and breaks your suspension of disbelief. This is also important for roleplay. Don't forget to try and avoid using your player knowledge of Shadowrun when your character shouldn't know those things. Given the amnesia quality, this will come up a lot, but I will try and accomodate that as much as possible, and feel free to ask OOC about character knowledge and whether certain things will be acceptable. I want it to be interesting, not inconvenient.

As for houserules, I can only think of a few that I like. I handle Edge like SR3's karma pool. Rather than edge being an attribute you pay for with karma or BP, I prefer Edge to increase as Karma increases. For example, if you start with an edge of 1, it will increase to 2 once you've gained 10 Karma points. Of course, you don't have to have that Karma available to you at the time, it's based on total karma gained throughout the adventure. I generally favour Attribute + Skill with hits capped/halved beyond program rating when it comes to hacking but without giving anything away, I'm not sure that will really matter in this particular game.

Also, I like to be fast and loose with the rules at times. If the situation is covered by the rules, then I'll apply them to the best of my ability. However, if the situation deviates from RAW, I am always happy to just make up a rule on the fly, changing thresholds, eyeballing modifiers and even changing the type of test that's applicable.

I've been thinking about this game quite a bit lately, so my interest has definately piqued. The level of control is unprecedented for me. Given that I'm designing the character and background I feel like it gives me the creative licence as a writer to explore certain themes more fully to weave a comprehensive and engaging story. The interesting thing about amnesia is that the storytelling can't really be unidirectional, on one hand, the character will be starting fresh, and the plot will preced from that point, but on the other hand, the story will also go backwards if/when the character decides to go digging through their own ambiguous past.
Mickle5125
regarding the morals and themes question, I'll put it this way: I'm ok with most things. Rape will be accepted in the story, but do not expect my character to partake in it or have a good opinion of those who do. Same with child abuse. Religion... *shrugs*try to keep the religion bashing to a minimum. Zealots are acceptable characters to deal with, and alot of fun to tease, but don't be cruel towards their religion. Does that make sense?

Sex, I would like kept to Dumpshock standards. Mentioning it's fine, but let's leave the explicit details to our imaginations, shall we?

In regards to character advancement (skills and the like), how do you want to work it? Me specify what skills I'll be focusing on improving and you boost them when enough karma's been earned, or do you want to work it so that you improve the skills I've used as you feel appropriate?

*grins* I'm looking forward to the challenge of RPing a character without knowing anything about it (still don't have gender or metatype known to me, yet... hint hint). It promises to be great fun!
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Feb 4 2009, 12:52 AM) *
regarding the morals and themes question, I'll put it this way: I'm ok with most things. Rape will be accepted in the story, but do not expect my character to partake in it or have a good opinion of those who do. Same with child abuse. Religion... *shrugs*try to keep the religion bashing to a minimum. Zealots are acceptable characters to deal with, and alot of fun to tease, but don't be cruel towards their religion. Does that make sense?

I understand. Of course, your character's morals will be determined by you, so you will be able to make your own choices. I wouldn't have you wake up with an urge to go molest some children. When it comes to religion, I'll confess (no pun intended) that I'm primarily an athiest. That said, I'm not a bigot and I make no attempt to push my beliefs (although apparently athiests don't like them being called "beliefs") on anyone. I also have an interest in anthropology, so I find religion and religious themes interesting, and religion will likely come up in the story, but not as a caricature or defining quality for any characters.
Sex, I would like kept to Dumpshock standards. Mentioning it's fine, but let's leave the explicit details to our imaginations, shall we?

Fair enough. I wasn't planning to go into detail. However, There may be the possibility some sex and even some romance in the story, but again, we don't have to be graphic there.
In regards to character advancement (skills and the like), how do you want to work it? Me specify what skills I'll be focusing on improving and you boost them when enough karma's been earned, or do you want to work it so that you improve the skills I've used as you feel appropriate?

Actually, I was planning on having your character sheet on hand, and you would also have an empty character sheet (that you would probably post on the first OoC page) that you would edit whenever you find out a new skill rating or other ability. From that point I was planning on the standard method of character advancement; I give you Karma as I see fit and you spend it as you see fit per GM discretion. Generally I allow karma usage only where it's appropriate, for example if you gain a couple of karma points in a spectacular action scene, I probably wouldn't let you dump that karma straight into logic based skills, unless you spent some time and roleplayed some training in those disciplines.

I hadn't considered taking charge of character advancement as well as creation. Obviously your character's situation due to amnesia and other factors preclude the use of your previous abilities in full, so if you wanted to hand that power over to me as well, I could raise your skills and attributes as we go, but I'm happy to give you control over the karma points you earn. I'd like to know what Blackhat and Glyph think of this idea as well.
*grins* I'm looking forward to the challenge of RPing a character without knowing anything about it (still don't have gender or metatype known to me, yet... hint hint). It promises to be great fun!

Are you saying that you want me to reveal gender and/or metatype? I suppose I could do so, if you're happy with that kind of spoiler.
Mickle5125
well, metatype can be iffy, but I can tell you now that my first actions IC will be check gender, look at my reflection, and check my pants... ^_~

honestly, Metatype can remain a mystery at the moment, but I do like knowing if I should use masculine or feminine pronouns in my posts. Feels sorta odd to refer to an individual as "it", you know?
Glyph
My opinion on the character improvement - I think Mickle5125 could say what he is working on improving, and Sir_Psycho could do the nuts and bolts. I only suggest this because, for an amnesiac, you are never quite sure whether you are learning a skill, or remembering a skill you already have.
Dark Talon
I hope you don't mind me tossing in my points, but I find this whole thing very interesting. smile.gif

I kinda like the idea of the GM increasing abilities through RP as karma is received. That way Mickle5125 can still direct his character's growth (through what he chooses to RP and direct his character) and with a bit of communication I think you can get it both ways. It would also help maintain the mystery, as Glyph said, because he won't know if he's learning or remembering a skill he had.

As for dump shockers popping in a per-run basis; I think the idea is grand. I'm always looking for more opportunities to RP my character, so I wouldn't be interested in nuyen or karma or any sort of advancement related stuff or being a regular character, but rather being put into odd situations and/or being a reoccurring face on the sidelines would be fun. ^_^

So when are you guys going to start? I'm really excited to see what you have.
Sir_Psycho
I'd be prepared to handle character improvement based on a roleplay basis, as well as more direct prompting via IC and OoC posts. However, I'd need Mickle to green light the idea first, and I'm content doing it either way.

When it comes down to it, I'd be happy to throw in the occasional supplementary character roleplayed by a dumpshocker. Any more than one, maybe two at a time would probably slow the game down, but it could work. I'm happy to peruse characters sent to me via PM, especially if they have their own motivations to be served throughout the campaign. I also have some ideas for characters/background elements that I would be happy for dumpshockers to embrace, because they would fit with the themes involved and progress the plot.

Anyway, I'm ready to post the first IC with the thread title "Rebirth". One thing I'm wondering is what tense and viewpoint we should use? I've written the IC in second person, addressing the character, "You lift the furry purple hat to your aching cranium". How would you like to post? Third person or first person?
Mickle5125
I'm cool with first person, but I do have to ask how it would work if we bring in extra dumpshockians for side characters.

As to the character advancement, I think that the roleplaying aspect of advancement is the most ignored part of the game, so I'm giving the green light to the idea.

finally, I have to ask how much knowledge the character has. Has (s)he forgotten everything, or has (s)he maintained basic knowledge of the world (language, what a commlink is, etc etc.)?
Dark Talon
From my understanding of amnesia (aka reading the Bourne Identity book nyahnyah.gif) You retain all skills/languages and the like, since thats in a different part of the brain. Though as was mentioned, you wouldn't necessarily know they're speaking french, you would just be able to understand what they're saying. You wouldn't know that you know how to fire a gun, but when that adrenaline kicks you act on instinct and amaze yourself.

As for my character, he's a bit on the powerful side (initiate grade 4 adept) so I can understand being left out of the game unless he needs his ass saved from something, but I would love to be considered for any out of combat needs/situations where another perspective would be fun. Otherwise, I'm just gonna enjoy watching this. I really like the threads where the characters are just trying to get by living in the shadowrun world.
Sir_Psycho
The first IC post is up. I understand that your ability to interact is limited, given your lack of context and mobility, but it's an opportunity to roleplay your confusion and disorientation. You don't know who you are, your gender, metatype, time of day, month, year etc. knowledge skills are implicit so far, but more will come to you as you use them. I look forward to seeing your first post, as long or as short as you like. I'm happy to answer any questions in this thread.

Should I make a separate OoC thread? I'd like some-where I can not only handle OoC administration, but also recruit GM aides and idea/locale/NPC submissions. Anyway, got to run, but I'll check the thread later tonight.
Dark Talon
And OOC thread might be nice for a clean start ^_^ and easier to find for those following along (if you care about that sort of thing).

Also, as for bringing others in. I would just PM them what they would notice/discern about the character. And instruct them not to reveal anything about the Mickle in their post. Sorta, keep everything secret from Mickle, as long as everyone knows whats going on. Might be a little bit more work, but it could make for some very interesting, and amusing, situations.
Sir_Psycho
Ok Mickle. You're getting into the truly interactive part of the game now. You're going to have to figure out what you're going to do.

To make this easier for you, don't forget to ask me OoC about character knowledge, and if you get totally stuck, I can make some Logic, Intuition or Knowledge rolls to help you out. Also, if there's stuff you want to perform any "Observe in Detail" actions on anything in particular, don't forget to let me know OoC as well.

Also, just to note, you have a trode that is wired to the Prescriptor-IV. You have mental access to the drone, if you want to poke around inside it, feel free. Also, there's some hints in the previous posts that might help you escape.

I might mention that I made a few edits to post #6, I believe it was. Fiddled with some stuff like the timestamps on those orders.
Mickle5125
Character knowledge question:
how much does my character know about drones (IE: what commands I can give this specific one, do I know enough to ask about what sensor suites the drone uses, etc.)?

Player ramblings:
for the dual purposes of letting you know just how twisty my thought processes are and trying to untwist them, I'm going to be SOC typing out my ideas about the scene. feel free to comment on them or not.

ok, so, as far as I can currently tell, I'm in a chair. it's well bolted down, and I'm connected to it somehow. Wearing some sort of a mask (cloth? hard?) No longer sedated. scenes where i'm handcuffed to the pipe in the water room probably have something to do with that (getting free symbolizes gaining control? flashing between scenes caused me as much confusion as my character).

to do list:
  • find out if the drone can see the entirety of the room. if so, access the sensors to get an idea of what I can't see.
  • find out if the drone can identify my medical condition. if so, acquire that information.
  • find out where the order to halt the sedative dosage came from.
  • ???
  • escape.

questions resulting from ramble:
you mentioned a mask. What kind?
Sir_Psycho
The mask is stiff, white, and rough. Some sort of plaster like substance. A cast.

You're connected to the chair by handcuffs chained to the chair arms, and your legs also feel bound.

Again, you're somehow linked through the trode to the machine, and you're subscribed as a user, so you can access specific things about the drone.

I was thinking it's about time we rolled some tests. Do you want me to roll your tests for you and keep the dicepools and attributes and skills hidden from you? Or do you want to be able to know what you're using so you can figure out your capabilities? If you want to know, then let me know what sorts of tests, whether with active skills or knowledge skills.

For example, you could try and make some sort of (mental attribute + knowledge skill) test to perhaps figure out the abilities of the drone. You could also see if you can make some sort of matrix test on the drone through the trode. A knowledge test might tell you more about what you can do with the drone, perhaps to analyze the connection between you and the drone. Obviously without making any tests, my hands are a little tied about what I can tell you.

There's also attribute only skills, like memory tests. That "flashing between scenes" felt like memories, perhaps flashbacks, to you. You could make a memory test to see if your character can remember anything from those flashes that might be of use to you now. But again, if you do, should I post the rolls?
QUOTE (Runners Companion @ Amnesia)
For 25 BP, the amnesiac has no memory of her past at all,
including the skills and abilities she had learned. Gamemasters
should create character sheets for such characters, so that the
player does not know her character’s abilities, attributes, and so
on until the character acts on them.

So, I suppose you should give me a list of actions/tests you want to do.
Mickle5125
As to the question of what I get to see... hmm. tough question... I'd say show me the results (IE: give me the link to the invisible castle results), but don't include a description of what made up the dice pool. So I see that my final dice pool is 4 dice, but I don't get to see that it's a skill of 1, an attribute of 2, and a modifier of +1. Make sense? that way, I still have some effort to put into figuring out what I can and can't do, but have something to go off.

As to what I'm looking for, information-wise:

I'm looking to see if I can access the following from the drone:
A) health records (it may have notes on how long I've been there, what my condition is, what they've done to me, etc)
B) sensor feeds. I'm hoping that it will allow me to get an idea of my surroundings (IE: if there's a guard right behind me with a pistol waiting to shoot me if I move, what kind of bindings are being used on me, what else is in the room, etc etc.)

sorry it's taken so long to post. I've been pretty busy the past few days and haven't had alot of time to figure out what the heck my character can do.
Mickle5125
bump!
Sir_Psycho
Well, first of all, here's an observe in detail action: 13d6.hits(5) → [6,5,6,1,6,3,1,1,5,3,6,5,6] = (8)
IC this as (and if) you see fit:
-There is a videocamera in the top right corner of the room, pointed at you, but you notice that the light that would suggest recording is dead.
-There is a cube shaped drone to your left, about one foot long on each side. It's standing on extended mechanical legs, bringing it up to arm level. Underneath are a few hanging IV bags of various colours. You've already guessed that they're forms of tranquilizers and stimulants, respectively. The drone has one mechanical arm holding a needle that is about five inches long. There is a front panel on the drone which you believe to be where the drone stores other needles of various sizes for easy access of the mechanical arm.
-Thick containment manacles are tight around your wrists. They've been applied with practiced skill without cutting corners, so slipping out of them doesn't seem likely, and might injure your hands. The pulling would likely separate your broken right arm completely. The locks look like standard pin and tumbler locks. From the model, you don't think it's a type of lock that requires a transponder code key.
-Upon looking down, you notice the bulge of external genitalia. Congratulations! It's a boy!
-The door looks very thick, and very sturdy (Armour rating 14, Structure rating 12). The hinges are either inside the doorframe or outside, so you wouldn't have access to them.
-Next to the door there is an intercom, with a button and a two way speaker/microphone.
-About thirty centimetres above the intercom, and fifteen centimetres to the right is what looks to be that same cockroach that climbed onto your arm.
-The room itself is dull grey concrete, with a few bits of exposed pipes and wiring. The pipes and wiring look new, as if they're waiting to be hooked up. It looks like a room in a building that is mid-construction.
-The black cylinder is currently underneath your chair (you have to break the plaster a little to crane your neck that far), and doesn't seem to be doing anything.
-Next to the cylindrical drone, you notice an almost imperceptible hole in one of the legs of the medical drone, and some metallic dust/shavings on the ground underneath it.

That's about it for the perception test, but you got 8 hits, so if you want any more details then I'm obliged to provide.

As for the medical drone:
-Rifling through the medical records, they indicate that treatment started on 24/01/2070 - 0435 hours. Meaning you've been there for about 8 days. For most of that time you've been constantly dosed with strong sedatives, administered by "User: Dr. N" 31/01/2070 - 1702 hours, when you were hit with a stimulant to wake you up, administered by "Security User: Lt. J". You assume that was when you first came into consciousness and were interrogated. After the interrogation a further sedative dose was administered by "Security User: A.K." via voice command. The most recent stimulant dose, the one that brought you into consciousness just recently, has no logged record of any user administering the dose.
-The drone just administers medication, and does not monitor your phsiology beyond vital signs and medication levels in the bloodstream, although it does monitor brain activity to check for consciousness. Your brain activity, as measured in waves and spikes, has been erratic, with huge crests and spikes as well as down periods where nothing seemed to be happening. Upon further analysis, much of the brain activity has been noted as "Unknown".
-The drone's camera feed shows that the room is empty behind you, and there is about a meter from your chair to the wall. There is a small round hole with some dark markings around it in that back wall.

Memory test:
14d6.hits(5) → [2,2,1,2,2,1,2,2,3,4,1,2,6,1] = (1)
-The flashback of being shackled in the flooded room comes a little clearer, and you remember the deft lockpicking skill you showed under extreme pressure, as well as noting that you held your breath (as far as you can remember so far) for over four minutes, well beyond the lung capacity of a standard human.

Sorry I haven't been in touch. Girlfriend + Playing bass with some friends + looking for jobs + laziness has resulted in lax posting. Apolagies.
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Feb 19 2009, 09:11 AM) *
-There is a cube shaped drone to your left, about one foot long on each side. It's standing on extended mechanical legs, bringing it up to arm level. Underneath are a few hanging IV bags of various colours. You've already guessed that they're forms of tranquilizers and stimulants, respectively. The drone has one mechanical arm holding a needle that is about five inches long. There is a front panel on the drone which you believe to be where the drone stores other needles of various sizes for easy access of the mechanical arm.
-Thick containment manacles are tight around your wrists. They've been applied with practiced skill without cutting corners, so slipping out of them doesn't seem likely, and might injure your hands. The pulling would likely separate your broken right arm completely. The locks look like standard pin and tumbler locks. From the model, you don't think it's a type of lock that requires a transponder code key.

That's about it for the perception test, but you got 8 hits, so if you want any more details then I'm obliged to provide.

sorry it's taken so long, but I was drawing a complete blank on where to go from here. BUT! I have ideas now, so it's all good.

I need more information on the containment cuffs.
how much do they restrict movement at the wrist? IE: are my wrists completely locked straight, or are they like modern day handcuffs, where I can move my wrists relatively freely?

Second, I'd like information on the drone's mobility. Is it able to change locations on its own (with orders), or does it need to be pushed?
Sir_Psycho
The restraints are a mix. They're wider than standard handcuffs, covering about 10cm of your wrists. They're individually designed to lock two fore-arms together, but instead of two arms, they're connected to an arm and a chair arm, so you can move them a little. Your joints are very flexible. You can't test much as you are restrained, but you seem to be double jointed in the extreme. Your right arm is pretty incapacitated from the battering it took, but your left hand can touch the lock with a finger.

The drone can roll on it's legs, as well as extend it's legs further to allow it to act as an IV drip, up to a standing shoulder height. Keep in mind that the trode attatched to your head is wired to the drone, so it can't move more than a meter away without the trode being pulled from your head.
Sir_Psycho
Just bumping to let you know you can roll some Logic+Intuition or maybe a knowledge or background skill to give you some clues. Your character would be regaining his senses, and he seems mentally acute. I'm happy to help to get the game moving.
Mickle5125
ah, sorry, sorry. Normally, I'm alot better about posting than this. Life's just been sorta frantic lately, between class, job hunts, and parental interference.
Sir_Psycho
No problem. I'm also unemployed and a few days out of a break-up of a year and a half long relationship, so I suppose Shadowrun is a good distraction (though I should really be putting more energy into finding work).

Anyway, good IC. The drone responds to your command and you pull two needles from the casing, and start working the locks. It's difficult with inadequate lockpicks and only one hand, but you manage it with patience, determination and skill.

Lockpicking rolls, interval 1 minute (GM fiat because you're using inadequate tools):
9d6.hits(5) → [2,6,4,5,5,5,6,3,1] = (5)
9d6.hits(5) → [4,1,1,1,3,4,2,2,3] = (0)
9d6.hits(5) → [2,4,1,2,5,3,4,1,5] = (2) -3 Minutes: Left arm restraint picked.
9d6.hits(5) → [4,5,1,2,5,6,3,5,5] = (5) -4 Minutes: Right arm restraint picked.
9d6.hits(5) → [2,2,1,1,4,4,1,1,4] = (0)
9d6.hits(5) → [1,1,4,5,4,4,1,2,4] = (1)
9d6.hits(5) → [2,4,1,2,4,4,1,3,4] = (0)
9d6.hits(5) → [4,4,2,6,3,6,2,5,3] = (3)
9d6.hits(5) → [6,1,2,3,4,3,4,3,3] = (1)
9d6.hits(5) → [1,2,4,3,6,4,4,6,3] = (2) -10 minutes: Left leg restraint picked
9d6.hits(5) → [3,3,6,6,2,2,2,6,1] = (3)
9d6.hits(5) → [1,1,6,4,2,6,2,5,3] = (3) -12 minutes: Right Leg restraint picked

And you're out. Before you continue the escape, you might want to spare some time to tend to your right arm. If you leave the chair, it'll be hanging by the flesh, which will probably make the escape more difficult. Would you like to try a first aid background knowledge test and see whether you know how to treat it?
Mickle5125
yes, I believe I will take that background first aid roll. ^_^
Sir_Psycho
10d6.hits(5) → [5,4,6,3,3,4,1,2,2,6] = (3)

You diagnose that to prevent further damage to your arm, you'll need to restrain it in a sling. You realise this can easily be made from strips of the hospital style shirt. A splint would be ideal, and you can probably mcguyver a makeshift one from the restraints and rubber tubing from the med drone.

Assuming you want to make that test, First Aid:
7d6.hits(5) → [2,1,3,5,4,5,4] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [2,5,3,5,6,3,2] = (3)
7d6.hits(5) → [5,3,2,4,4,4,6] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [4,5,4,5,1,6,4] = (3)

You manage to bind the broken limb with whatever is accessible to you. The damage is not likely to heal cleanly in that state (two bones have been severed), but the sling/splint restrains it from further damaging you, and deep breaths and concentration allow you to shut out the pain.

Over to you, I'll let you take the ICs and stretch your legs from here on until the next major event. The cockroach above the intercom is buzzing it's wings angrily, attracting your attention. It runs down the wall and circles the cylindrical drone object on the floor, beckoning you to pick it up.
Sir_Psycho
Haven't heard from you in a while, Mickle? Are you just not able to post or are you stuck again? Because I'm happy to give you hints to move the game along.
Mickle5125
is it odd that I think that I'll be having more free time when I get a job?

I've been hacking away at an IC post in my sporadic free time. I should be getting it up sometime soon
Mickle5125
just bumping this up. IC has been posted, in case you missed it
Sir_Psycho
One of the whee's "hubcaps" can flip open. You notice some black scarring on the tube, from some sort of thermal process, suggesting the tube burned it's way into the room. The tube has an integrated drill inside it, along with some other tech you can't quite put your finger on immediately (i'll roll some knowledge tests when the sun is up). The drill is hollow, suggesting it's an injector of some sort. You can sense a electromagnetic field emanating from the drone, but you have no way to interface with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012