Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghouls (and other infected) and the Human Looking quality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
The RC entry for Goblins specifically states that you lose the Human Looking quality if you have it. This got me to thinking: Could my ghoul/vampire/nosferatu/etc (the more human-looking Infected) get the Human Looking quality and pass for human?
Kanada Ten
There is a ghoul in Bug City who passes off for a human (even going to college and living in dorms); he's a second generation ghoul (child of ghoul parents), and disguises his odor with perfumes and such. Just as some precedence for you.
Tyro
Thank you smile.gif

I'm thinking Human Looking would do the same as major cosmetic surgery to look "normal" (as per RC): his skin would look normal save perhaps on close inspection, he wouldn't smell as bad (or maybe he wouldn't smell abnormal at all), he could get colored contacts (if magical and he didn't want to spend Essence) or cybereyes to disguise the ghoul eyes.
The Jake
If you pay the essence cost for the surgery after the fact as a ghoul, I don't see why not.

Vampire/Nosferatu or any other Infected with Regeneration are another kettle of fish entirely.

- J.
Tyro
QUOTE (The Jake @ Feb 2 2009, 05:41 PM) *
If you pay the essence cost for the surgery after the fact as a ghoul, I don't see why not.

Vampire/Nosferatu or any other Infected with Regeneration are another kettle of fish entirely.

- J.

You misunderstand. Cosmetic surgery is specifically mentioned in RC RE: the infected, and they bring up that very point - if you have Regeneration, there isn't much point.

I was talking about the Human Looking PQ potentially doing the same thing.
Panzergeist
I would say yes, but to keep it balanced, double the cost, only allow it for human infected, and it only affects looks, not smell, sound or anything else. Including, of course, that blazing aura with "HMHVV" in neon mana-lights all over it.
The Jake
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 3 2009, 01:47 AM) *
You misunderstand. Cosmetic surgery is specifically mentioned in RC RE: the infected, and they bring up that very point - if you have Regeneration, there isn't much point.

No I understand it perfectly.

You CAN take the Human Looking PQ for a ghoul as a starting character because they do not have Regeneration.

Its arguably whether they could start with the quality but if you are paying Essence for the surgery then there's not reason why a GM woulnd't allow it.

- J.
The Jake
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 3 2009, 01:47 AM) *

No I understand it perfectly.

You CAN take the Human Looking PQ for a ghoul as a starting character because they do not have Regeneration.

Its arguably whether they could start with the quality but if you are paying Essence for the surgery then there's not reason why a GM woulnd't allow it.

- J.
Squinky
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 2 2009, 05:25 PM) *
Thank you smile.gif

I'm thinking Human Looking would do the same as major cosmetic surgery to look "normal" (as per RC): his skin would look normal save perhaps on close inspection, he wouldn't smell as bad (or maybe he wouldn't smell abnormal at all), he could get colored contacts (if magical and he didn't want to spend Essence) or cybereyes to disguise the ghoul eyes.

You almost have to buy cyber-eyes because of their blindness, so since you have dipped into the essence pool already, might as well just get the biosculpting anyway and save your positive quality points smile.gif
JeffSz
As the Ghoul entry specifically says you lose Human Looking, I argue that it is NOT possible to take that quality once you are already a Ghoul. You're too sick from the virus to look human naturally, and MUST turn to surgery.

It would be like if your face got burned by acid and fell off, and you asked your GM if you could just buy your charisma back up. Sorry dude...you lost your face! Get some surgery or you're F*'d.
The Jake
QUOTE (JeffSz @ Feb 3 2009, 03:55 AM) *
As the Ghoul entry specifically says you lose Human Looking, I argue that it is NOT possible to take that quality once you are already a Ghoul. You're too sick from the virus to look human naturally, and MUST turn to surgery.

It would be like if your face got burned by acid and fell off, and you asked your GM if you could just buy your charisma back up. Sorry dude...you lost your face! Get some surgery or you're F*'d.

Ok. Fair enough.

I won't take it at chargen. Instead I'll just pay the Essence and nuyen and save myself the BP. I'll even take the +2 bonus to social interactions because my character now looks hot.

Oh well.

- J.
Muspellsheimr
Vampires & Nosferatu - why? A Vampire looks like a slightly pale human with slightly larger-than-normal canines. A Nosferatu looks like a (generally) bald vampire. Also, by RAW, you cannot take Human Looking, because you are human. Even if you could, it would do nothing.

Wendigo specifically loose it, so no, they cannot have it, as do Goblins. Ghouls should loose it, but by RAW, can be Human Looking as long as they are a compatible species (aka not human).

As for other non-human/troll Infected, yes, they can take it normally.
Thadeus Bearpaw
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 2 2009, 04:02 PM) *
The RC entry for Goblins specifically states that you lose the Human Looking quality if you have it. This got me to thinking: Could my ghoul/vampire/nosferatu/etc (the more human-looking Infected) get the Human Looking quality and pass for human?

I'd probably allow this but I'd make the BP quality a little higher due to the smell as well as the cosmetic difference. Also I think a ghoul looks more signifigantly differentiated from your average metahuman than elf does from a human. I'd probably make the quality 15BP, after all the social stigmas are part of the negative qualities for ghouls.
Hagga
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 3 2009, 04:14 AM) *
Vampires & Nosferatu - why? A Vampire looks like a slightly pale human with slightly larger-than-normal canines. A Nosferatu looks like a (generally) bald vampire. Also, by RAW, you cannot take Human Looking, because you are human. Even if you could, it would do nothing.

Wendigo specifically loose it, so no, they cannot have it, as do Goblins. Ghouls should loose it, but by RAW, can be Human Looking as long as they are a compatible species (aka not human).

As for other non-human/troll Infected, yes, they can take it normally.

Nosferatu and Vampires are generally emaciated, cold, pale and have really prominent incisors. Nosferatu especially, they lose most bodyfat.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Runners Companion p.63)
Nosferatu
(Homo sapiens sapiens sanguisuga)
Nosferatu are humans infected with a very rare species of
HMHVV I; they represent the least populous of the Infected.
Aside from the loss of all or most hair on the head and body, pale
complexion, and slightly prominent canines, they are nearly identical
to regular humans.
Nosferatu are much more likely than other
Infected to develop schizoid, paranoid personalities after transformation
(if they did not already possess them), and have been
the instigators of the worst vampiric cabals uncovered to date. To
a one, they all seem to be fanatically convinced of their superiority.
Nosferatu are omnivores, and can eat or drink whatever they
please without ill effect, but must consume a certain amount of
metahuman blood.

Vampires
(Homo sapiens sapiens vrykolakas)
Humans infected with a species of HMHVV I are one of
the most common forms of vampiric Infected. Aside from a
pale complexion and slightly prominent canines, they are nearly
identical to regular humans
. The large body of myth and popular
culture surrounding vampires, combined with their impressive
paranormal powers, make them relatively popular—to would-be
Infected and hunters alike. Vampires are hemovores and cannot
hold down other food.

In other words, a vampire looks like me, & a nosferatu looks like a bald vampire.
Tyro
Biosculpting it is, I guess frown.gif
HappyDaze
Vampires from dark-skinned ethnicities might be slightly harder to pick out by skin tone, and if they have a mixed ethnicity heritage, then it might be damn hard since there's hardly a baseline to compare with.
Tyro
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Feb 2 2009, 09:34 PM) *
Vampires from dark-skinned ethnicities might be slightly harder to pick out by skin tone, and if they have a mixed ethnicity heritage, then it might be damn hard since there's hardly a baseline to compare with.

Mutts really DO have higher life expectancies! nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012