Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Build Assistance Please
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Anythingforenoughnuyen
I am going to build a character who is a magical assassin. The main thing I want for the character is to focus on using illusions in carrying out his hits. Any ideas and advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,
AFE nuyen.gif
Glyph
Illusions don't really do damage, per se. Instead, they either distract the target, or fool the target's senses. For a magical assassin, I would tend to shy away from the distraction spells - chaotic world, stink, etc. Instead, I would use illusions to get close to the target - improved invisibility, physical mask, and stealth are awesome for this. I would use a nice, low-Drain combat spell to do the actual hit.

In addition to the sneaking spells, trid phantasm is the ultimate, anything-you-want illusion spell. Although in a way, phantasm can be better, since you can induce hallucinations that won't show up on a security monitor. Depending on how creepy you want this guy to be, dream (to send dire warnings) and foreboding (to make the victim uneasy/panicky) could be good choices.

You could also combine illusions with telekinetic manipulations, so that people won't be sure whether that illusory ork can actually hit them, or not. And alter memory is another spell good both for covering your tracks, and for messing with people's minds.
The Jake
Magicians don't work well as assassins unfortunately.... I had a thread on this not long ago.

Your concept also doesn't jive with the way magic works in SR4.

It isn't the same as D&D illusions I'm afraid.

- J.
WeaverMount
if you don't have flexible signature you can not one shot people with stealth and speed. To mortally wound an average Joe with stats of 3 you must do 12P, insta-gibing is another 5P. To get 12P after soak( even from 3 will ) from a spell you have pretty much have to cast it at F6 or better. That signature will be around for 6 turns (or more) if you clean it up, or 6 hours (or more) if you don't.
Anythingforenoughnuyen
Please let me clarify what I want. I am thinking Neuromancer not D&D. I am not looking for an illusion that kills my target. I am looking to make a character who can use illusions to conceal his approach, attack, and escape.

AFE nuyen.gif
JeffSz
QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen @ Feb 3 2009, 04:21 AM) *
Please let me clarify what I want. I am thinking Neuromancer not D&D. I am not looking for an illusion that kills my target. I am looking to make a character who can use illusions to conceal his approach, attack, and escape.

AFE nuyen.gif

The trick is to use magic to get to the guy...

Improved Invisibility (sustained by focus or spirit)
Stealth or Silence (sustained by focus or spirit)

And then blow his brains out with a point-blank Ruger SuperWarhawk with EX-EX to the back of the head. Lots of damage, no drain or signature residue.

Then use Levitate to escape.

Alternately, summon a big-ass spirit and have it do the killin'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012