Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prices for non-degrading software?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JoelHalpern
The errata for Unwired specify that hacker-written software does not degrade. That makes sense. THere is a caveat that the GM may declare (presumably where the GM thinks it fits) that upgrades are needed to keep up with external events. That makes sense too.

For game balance, it makes sense to keep degradation for pirated software purchased for 10% of list cost.

So what sort of in game explanation can cover why hacker-written software has not displaced degrading software in the pirate marketplace? Hacker-written software does not degrade. And it is not like no one would sell such things. Nor like folks wouldn't make illicit copies.

Thanks,
Joel

PS: How much does it cost to purchase a nexus software development environment, if one wanted to purchase one instead of renting it on a daily basis? (That item is clearly the key to how patches can even vaguely keep uo with degrading software.)
BlackHat
I was actually a little unsatisfied with that errata. It basically says "Ignore this rule, if you want - which is sort of implied in every rule, in every RPG product."

That said, I don't see how you need ot explain anything. Hacker-written software would still cost ~80K for a full suite of programs. Pirated software would cost ~8K, but have a lot of upkeep cost. Ideally, everyone would want the more expensive programs, but for someone who doesn't hack that often, the cheaper temporary programs might make sense.

Personally, I tend to play games (online and off) that only last for a given mission, which RARELY takes more than a month of in game time. Programming isn't an option, and the monthly upkeep costs never even come into play. The fact that software degrades doesn't even have a chance to come into play. But, still, that would be a case where there would still be a booming market for cheap pirated programs.

Your question about renting time on a nexus is a really good example. The way I would handle that, by the way, is to have the player buy a nexus (there are rules for that) and a programming suite to run on it. It would be pretty expensive, but if its a one-man operation, you can cut corners on the nexus cost and make it pretty reasonable.

Again, I've never played a game of shadowrun where the GM (or the rest of the team) would let a hacker retire for a few months while he writes new programs. Whatever money you save in not having to buy your programs, the rest of the team will lose in maintaining their lifestyles. Your mileage may vary, though.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ Feb 3 2009, 05:04 PM) *
So what sort of in game explanation can cover why hacker-written software has not displaced degrading software in the pirate marketplace? Hacker-written software does not degrade. And it is not like no one would sell such things. Nor like folks wouldn't make illicit copies.

It would be open-source software then, which, by errata, doesn't degrade either and is ruled on the other page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012