Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Deadly Trail
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Matsci

October 23, 2069.

Oakland International airport, Oakland, California Japanese Protectorate.

As you step out of the airplane, you shiver from both the cold and the fog. You tap your glasses twice, shifting over to an Ultrasound overlay.

After all, conditions like these would be perfect for a ninja ambush. And you without any guns.

You make your way over to the taxi terminal, and pick up your checked luggage. Knowing that your focus blade is nearby allows you to relax, at least as much as you ever do. A quick check of your clock shows that you still have a few hours till the meeting with Mr. Johnson, over at the Old University of California Berkly.

You ponder for a moment what brought you out from your usual haunts, back down to CalFree.

Oh, Wait.

Nuyen. Huge Piles of it. Not only was Mr Johnson paying for your flight down, and back, but also a 15,000 nuyen retainer, just for agreeing to come to the meet. Even if you turn down the job, you still walk away with a profit.

So, you have some time to kill and some distance to travel. What do you do?

And thankfully, no ninjas.
Dark Talon
Dark Talon pulls out the handle of his rolling suitcase and adjusts the jacket of his wage slave costume before rolling down the sidewalk to one of the different terminals. He walks into the bathroom, and into one of the stalls and closes the door. Opening his pack he pulls out the ready made costume and separate outfit that he had packed for when he landed. After a few moments the man who went in as a wage slave from Seattle came out looking like a tourist from Japan (with a different SIN as well). He changed his demeanor to that of an excited man away on a vacation for the first time in a long time. He even made small talk as he rode the taxi over to a hotel that was two blocks away from the one he was actually staying at.

Once he arrived at the first hotel, the nice one that the Johnson had recommended and set him up at, he checked in and made his way to the stairs. He went up a floor, caught the elevator back down to ground level (where he took off the funny hat and put on a bulky jacket that covered the brightly colored tourist shirt he was wearing). And made his way back to the street. From there he caught another taxi to a much shadier hotel that asked fewer questions when he booked it. Moving into the room he set down his suit cases, opened them up, and surveyed what he had brought with him. He drew the curtains after briefly scouting the street below, taking careful note of the make and model of each of the cars on the street and checking for passengers. He also scanned the roof lines across the street.

Pulling out the focus blade he set it down beside him on the bed for easy reach and slowly began assembling the plastic Morsley hold-out that he had gotten during his time in Hawaii. The small capsule rounds of stick and shock had been spread evenly through the lining of his suitcase along the spine in tiny, vacuum sealed compartments. He pulled out the kit of makeup and cosmetic supplies he had brought for his time here and set that aside. He slowly unfolded and laid out each of the carefully planned disguises that he would use during his time here meeting with the Johnson. Once his supplies were spread out, he holstered the hold-out, strapped on the katana, and began to do a slow and very thorough sweep of his hotel room, checking it for any sort of camera or detection device.

One he was reasonably certain of the privacy of his room he set about packing two disguises into his armored duffel bag which he had also packed inside. The one he would wear en-route was that of a medium lifestyle student, and then the more professional outfit he would wear when meeting the Johnson. He would show up one hour early to the campus and scout the area for surveillance and/or unwanted peoples before changing his outfit and meeting with the Johnson.

On his way to the college, he took three different taxi's, walking blocks between each one and checking for any surveillance. Once on campus he found the highest publicly accessible spot to survey the area surrounding the meet and once more checking for anyone following him or watching the location. He also takes note of any and all school security measure and what areas they cover. He makes several plans of quick exits and notes several hiding places. He also picks out the locations he could use as a sniping locations and makes them in his mind as places to keep watch of. Once the time to meet the Johnson arrives, he changes his disguise and SIN and moves down to meet the Johnson once he sees he has arrived and checks for the security the Johnson will obviously have brought.

(Disguise: 4 intuition 4 ranks rating 4 kit + blandness I'll buy my success
Perception: 4 intuition 4 ranks, +1 for visual from glasses
Infiltration: 7 agility 4 ranks, +1 from ninjitsu (for losing anyone following him and for arriving unnoticed on the campus)
Matsci
Apparently, your arrival in Orkland has not gone unnoticed. Your pretty sure that you were being followed, and you are also pretty sure that you lost them, blending into the faceless crowd of metahumanity. Your sure that by the time that you have reached the second hotel, you are sure that you lost whomever was shadowing you.

Approaching UC Berkly, you can plainly see that the the University has not faired well under Japaniese occupation. There are Imperial Marines guarding the entrances and signs of battle around them. Spending a few moments figuring out the pattern of the sensors, you slip past the guards, onto the Campus. It seems to be abandoned.

You easily find the room that you're supposed to meet the Johnson in. The Only thing different about this classroom, rather than all the others, is that there is slightly less dust, and an Active wireless node.
Dark Talon
Dark Talon will access the wireless node from his commlink as well as alerting his matrix backup (Doc Wheels, back in Seattle) of its location. Assuming that the Johnson may chose to attend virtually, DT will access his rarely used Avatar which looks just like himself sans face. He then waits patiently.
Poit-Narf
"Hey Boss, what d'you need?"
Dark Talon
"I'm meeting the Johnson here shortly. He might be attending via the matrix. See what can be dug up, if he knows anything. And be invisible."
Poit-Narf
"Alright, I'll take a look at the node to make sure there are no tricks. Do you want me to try to find anything on the Johnson?"

I will, as I said, take a look at the node. Stealthily, of course. (Yay for Stealth 9)
Dark Talon
"I've had too many Johnson's arrange for my death, anything you can learn would be helpful." Dark Talon was comforted by the weight of his sword and pistol as he remembered his first night in California when Ares had arranged for his death. It had been a narrow escape.
Poit-Narf
"Sure thing."

I'll find out whatever I can about the Johnson's that's coming to meet Dark Talon. Starting with his/her job posting on wherever and going from there.
Matsci
Cracking the Wireless node is child's play for such a skilled hacker. There is a bunch of data on it though, mostly tutorsofts. Chemistry, Armorer, Stealth, infiltration, demolition. Everything you need to train an Urban terrorist is here.

About 5 minutes before the scheduled meet, three people show up. Two orks and a Human. They are discussing something you can barely overhear, at least until you turn up the sound amplifcation.
Ork 1: “Are you sure he can handle this?”
Human: “ Yes, I'm sure. He managed to flummox Knight for a short while. I think he can handle our situation.”
Ork 2: “ People don't earn a reputation like his with doing something right.”
Ork 1: “ I hope he is as good as you two seem to think he is. Otherwise, we are all screwed. I don't think that the Imperial Marines are going to be pushovers, nor will they let a strike like this go unpunshised.”
Ork 2 : “ Then they fall right into out hands. Some images of oppression, and we can have the entirety of North America in an uproar. People will take to the streets. It's easy to stir up riots, after all. “
Ork 1: “ I know the plan. I'm just worried about some Jap drundeah with such a key part.”
Human: “ He's got no love lost with the JIS. Trust me on this. He'll get the job done.”

They then walk into the room.

You enter at the appointed time. Ork 1 is sitting behind the teacher's desk. Ork 2 smoking a cigarette of in the corner, and the Human is fiddling with his comlink over by the old white board.

Ork 1: “ Ah, the legendary Dark Talon, I assume. I am Mr. Johnson, and these are my allies , Mr. Grey;” He points to the human. “ and Mr. Smith.” he points to the other ork."
“Lets get down to biz, before we are discovered. We want you to kill General Keiji Saito"

Doc Wheels: You Data Search gets very little. None of these people are important enought to mention much. The Human is a Shadowrunner called the Grey Knight, and he is rumored to have some strong Ares connections, but the other 2 are blanks.
Poit-Narf
I'll start researching into General Saito's itinerary for the near future, as well as the kinds of guards/security he uses.
Dark Talon
Dark Talon takes a moment to visibly control his expression to prevent it from showing the shock he feels when they mention his target. Then a light switch goes on in his head and he pulls up the date to double check.

"The hit will be in two days." He sends over the commlink to Doc Wheels, "During the parade. I'll bet you a hundred nuyen."

Returning his attention to the 'Johnson,' Dark Talon walks closer to the desk. He takes a moment to survey the two orcs and human. He considers, for a moment, the task that these men as asking him and what it would require.

"The General?" His eyes continue to sweep the room for any sort of interference or monitoring device or people."I'm interested. Continue."

[ Spoiler ]
Poit-Narf
"The parade sounds high profile. I'm not taking that bet."

While I continue my search, I'll take another pass around the room for surveillance equipment or sneaky people, though I didn't find any on my first pass.
Matsci
QUOTE (Dark Talon @ Feb 18 2009, 12:47 AM) *
Dark Talon takes a moment to visibly control his expression to prevent it from showing the shock he feels when they mention his target. Then a light switch goes on in his head and he pulls up the date to double check.

"The hit will be in two days." He sends over the commlink to Doc Wheels, "During the parade. I'll bet you a hundred nuyen."

Returning his attention to the 'Johnson,' Dark Talon walks closer to the desk. He takes a moment to survey the two orcs and human. He considers, for a moment, the task that these men as asking him and what it would require.

"The General?" His eyes continue to sweep the room for any sort of interference or monitoring device or people."I'm interested. Continue."

Mr. Johnson :"The Groups we represent simply want to see him dead by this time next week. You will definitely want to get out of town afterwards, though. Things might be a bit unstable. To compensate for the difficulty of this job, we are prepared to offer 1 million nuyen."

Mr. Grey: "As for equipment, I know you don't have much. So..."

There is a sound of mag-locks disenganeing, and then Mr. Gray slide up the whiteboard, revealing the third largest arsenal you have ever seen. He pulls down a a massive sniper rifle, spins it around his back, and then slaps a magazine into in.

"... What kinds of tools will you need?"

[ Spoiler ]

Dark Talon
Dark Talon moves over to take a look at the arsenal, though his eyes never stray far from the man with the gun. He begins to look through the items and tries to find ones that are similar to his, or at least modifiable to operate like his.

"Do you have access to a workshop where I can make adjustments? I'll also need some electronic equipment."

His eyes flashed across the men one more time, "Do you have a safe house within his controlled limits?"

Doc. I want you to look up a map of the city where the parade will go down. Look up Saito's itinerary, and cross reference any speeches he's scheduled to give with their locations. Pull up that fancy satelite of yours and tell me if there are any good vantage points at say, oh, extreme range.
Poit-Narf
"Sure thing boss."

I succeed on the relevant data search checks for the itinerary & map. Then I'll go about compiling a list of the Top 10 Best Locations to Kill General Saito. I'll be mainly focused on finding places with clear shots, but in shadowy, concealed areas (13 dice for applied physics). A location that also easily leads to an escape route would be ideal (10 dice for calculating routes).
Dark Talon
An ideal location would be to shoot from inside a building. Can't be seen with a satellite, and it'll also make sure that there is no chance to be spotted by firing since the room will cover the flash and recoil, even if the rifle isn't silences (which I hope it is nyahnyah.gif).
Poit-Narf
Alright, I'll look for a tall building. I wonder if I'll be able to find such a thing in San Francisco...
Dark Talon
Dark Talon takes the rifle and inspects it while he waits for their answer.
Dark Talon
*cough*
Matsci
QUOTE (Dark Talon @ Feb 18 2009, 10:55 PM) *
"Do you have access to a workshop where I can make adjustments? I'll also need some electronic equipment."

His eyes flashed across the men one more time, "Do you have a safe house within his controlled limits?"

" That's a Berreta 121 Sniper rifle. Fires custom tooled subsonic HE rounds, and can punch through most personal armor. Equiped with an intigrated silencer, it's the ultimate assassins weapon.

As for a workshop, all we have is a few kits scattered around, mostly for basic repair. Not much in the way of tools. We have some safehouses, but I doubt they would be safe for you. There is a lot of anit-Japanese sediment around here. Come up with a good discuse though, and we might be able to squeeze you in.

Anyways, what kind of electrical equipment will you need?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012