Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix Perception Table
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Monk
Has anyone come up with a Matrix Perception table instead of the 20 questions mechanic?

Seems to me that some things are going to be a little more difficult to acquire with a matrix perception test (Access IDs). The rules say that you should use the perception threshold table for perception test, this would seem to confirm that, but that table uses things like neon signs and secret doors for examples, nothing matrix wise.

Sometimes it is easy to obtain a large number of successes with matrix perception, but other times especially when the node is running stealth getting one success is a victory. So according to RAW that entitles you to one piece of very obvious information (like a neon sign). I guess that would mean that "yes that icon is running an attack program, you know that because it is carrying a giant axe."

If there was a table then at least that one success can get you a number of very obvious things and four successes would get you the "needle in a haystack" what ever that is.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Beetle
Consider the difficulty table for success tests on page 56 of your BBB. 4 is a target number for an extremely hard task. If you score 4 hits on your matrix perception test, you have essentially found the most minute of details about the thing you are observing, thus the "needle in the hay stack" analogy.

While Unwired does not have a matrix perception test table, it has a plethora of examples of the types of things you can find out from a successful matrix perception test.
Red-ROM
I'm no expert, but I think that Matrix perception justs tells you if you see or notice a node, above that you need to analyze it right? I mean it could be sculpted to look like anything.

I'm not sure where to draw the line myself
The Monk
QUOTE (Beetle @ Feb 10 2009, 10:31 PM) *
Consider the difficulty table for success tests on page 56 of your BBB. 4 is a target number for an extremely hard task. If you score 4 hits on your matrix perception test, you have essentially found the most minute of details about the thing you are observing, thus the "needle in the hay stack" analogy.

While Unwired does not have a matrix perception test table, it has a plethora of examples of the types of things you can find out from a successful matrix perception test.

Exactly, however for every success on the Matrix Perception Test, you get to ask a question. Things like what is it's Access ID, what is it's firewall rating, does this thing have IC protecting it, etc. Unwired has, like you said a plethora of examples.

But it doesn't say whether one question is harder to obtain than any other. The BBB says to use the Perception Test Threshold Table on page 117 in conjunction with the Matrix Perception Test, this table says that things which are obvious require one success (neon sign) along with numerous examples of what is two, three, and four successes. However nowhere does it say whether any of the plethora of things that you can "see" with a Matrix Perception Test is any harder to "see" than any other.

I'm curious to see if anyone on Dumpshock has thought about what things require one two three or four successes before you can ask the GM for that piece of information. My ultimate goal is to create a table to use with the Matrix Perception Test so that I can eliminate the whole ask a question mechanic, if such a table has not already been created by someone on this forum.

It would be easier for me if the Matrix Perception Test worked with a threshold table, for example:

one success: you see all of the obvious programs it is running (attack, armor, firewall etc)
two successes: you see slightly hidden programs (types of IC, subscription list)
three successes: you see hard to find programs (types of data files, Access IDs)
four successes: you see well hidden programs (data bombs)

I just find it strange that RAW says that this test is done in a certain way but does not provide anyway to really do it that way.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (The Monk @ Feb 10 2009, 08:22 PM) *
I'm curious to see if anyone on Dumpshock has thought about what things require one two three or four successes before you can ask the GM for that piece of information. My ultimate goal is to create a table to use with the Matrix Perception Test so that I can eliminate the whole ask a question mechanic, if such a table has not already been created by someone on this forum.

I have my players develop a list of what they'd want returned (by default) on a roll and make them adjust their list to match their situations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012