Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Evolution
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
SneakyJoeKDB
08:45:45 Saturday, December 03, 2061 -Cascade Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 38 degrees Fahrenheit, Overcast, 12 inches of snow, Wind 10-15 mph NNE

"I been runnings for some years. It started when I was a teens and was lead to JJs. He got me started with da little jobs here and theres. I spent a lot of my times as a bouncer and securitys for various establishments. Eventually JJs tooks me ons a few runs. JJs doesnt quite do da runs anymores he still mentors me a bits, but I have beens mores or less on my owns for da works. Anyones who needs a big body guards or some muscle for da jobs and I theres. I took a panther cannons to da face once... dats how I lost part of my horns..."

Bubba taps on his round stub of a horn on his head, he then grabs the other horn, "Fortunatelys, I still have this ones for head buttings".. Bubba snickers a little, and grins.

"Sos, whats your specialties besides da brains?" Bubba continues to press up the mountain seemingly unaffected by the cold, altitude, or the climb.
Kliko
08:45:50 Saturday, December 03, 2061 -Cascade Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 38 degrees Fahrenheit, Overcast, 12 inches of snow, Wind 10-15 mph NNE

"Ho Bubba, not so fast. We got to take care not to exert ourselves to much. My heart- and respiratory rates are just increasing to fast right now, it is the altitude see. There is less oxygen in the air here" tapping his chest.

"A Panther, to the head?" Kliko is visibly amazed, "Must have been a graze hitting the horn right? Otherwise you should be dead... plain and simple" 'well at least it explains something... poor fragger' "How that happen during doorkeeping? I mean there's only so many crews out there toting Panthers around and none of them have an interest in molesting clubs I imagine... What happened to the other fragger anyway?"

Kliko is rather reluctant to elaborate on his own past, preferring to listening over what Bubba's got to say over talking really "I have been an operator for a number of different Merc-groups out there. See, in contrary to what a lot of people think raining down hell upon people or delivering large quantities of mayhem in a specific place on a specific time is only a small part of soldiering really. In the end even Mercs prefer to keep minimum casualties" Kliko shows a big grin "wounded are just a logistical nightmare to be honest really"... "I switched to indy operations some time ago."... "Pay is much better and at the end of the day you get to sleep in your own bed! That's a huge plus for people in my postition I tell you."... "my experience as a forward observer is just highly appreciated with these intel-types around"..."and if worst comes to worst we can always rain down hell upon about everybody. In this bizz every punk toting an APDS loaded assault rifle can really make or break your day"
Bastard
09:10:29 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 38o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 13 inches of snow, Wind 15-18 mph NNE, Wind Chill 28o Fahrenheit

It is a difficult climb up the ridge, a long incline in the snow. Every step slipping and sliding out from under you. It is a challenge just to keep your footing, let alone gain ground. Finally you have reached the top.

Here out in the open, the wind seems to pick up, nipping at any exposed skin. You can feel the winter burn on you face and your lips cracking. A shiver runs down your spine, but when the gusts calm down you feel warm again. You can feel your calves and quads have tightened up a bit. The break at Hidden Valley will give you not only time to change your socks, but time to stretch a little, too.

And there it is, Hidden Valley. A little bowl on the side of the mountain. A couple hundred feet away and about 50 feet down is a small group of conifers, which will probably protect you from the wind.

09:11:46 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 38o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 14 inches of snow, Wind 10-15 mph NNE, Wind Chill 30o Fahrenheit

The climb down is a bit easier, but you still have to watch your step so you don't tumble all the way down the hill. Bubba is reminded of a cartoon and envisions Kliko tumbling down the hill, gradually turning into a bigger and bigger snowball finally coming to a smashing stop against a tree down below. He lets out a snicker, when he imagines little cartoon birds chirping around Kliko's head.

09:14:22 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 34o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 18 inches of snow, Wind 1-2 mph NNE, Wind Chill 32o Fahrenheit

Ahhh... a break from the wind. It is a bit colder down here in the shade of the mountain and trees, but the break from the wind is rewarding. It may be a bit colder, but it feels warmer here.

While the trees offer a bit of protection for you, it also protects the snow from melting and blowing away. It is at least a foot and half deep all around. There looks to be some campgrounds around here, at least by counting the odd humps of snow supported by wooden legs. If each of those would be picnic tables represents a campsite, there are twelve of them, pretty close together. There are probably fire pits buried under the snow somewhere, but by the time you dig one up and get a fire started, it will be well past time to move out.
SneakyJoeKDB
08:46:00 Saturday, December 03, 2061 -Cascade Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

"Oks Klikos ill slows it down a bits... ah you want da panther cannons storys... hmmm maybe another days over donuts on yous." Bubba grins. "APDS ammos.. dont leave homes without its...," says Bubba as he snickers. Bubba becomes bored with conversation and continues to march along.

09:11:46 Saturday, December 03, 2061 -Cascade Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

As Bubba approaches the ridge he peers down pointing while looking back at Kliko and lets out a shout, "There it is da Great Hidden Valleys!.. I saws dat on a cartoons once with cute whittle dinos. The dinos looked rather tastys... Steps lightly Klikos its steep and slicks." Bubba leads out working his way down into hidden valley.

09:14:22 Saturday, December 03, 2061 -Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

Bubba paces around the site inspecting the picnic tables for sturdyness. When he finally finds one that will likely support his weight he takes a seat on it. He reaches into his bag and pull out a meal ration and pounds it. He then changes his socks, and has a sip of water.

As Bubba relaxes a bit he turns to Kliko, "When dos we camps again? If a storms a comin maybes wes can builds an igloos to keeps warm?"

"...I startings to not like it out heres. its so colds..."
Kliko
09:14:30 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 34o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 18 inches of snow, Wind 1-2 mph NNE, Wind Chill 32o Fahrenheit

Kliko quickly scans the surrounding heaps of snow for any latent body temperatures or any other life signs. He and Bubba weren't likely to be the only ones enjoying the relative shelter Hidden Valley brought with it...

"Best dig a small shelter out of the wind and get some rest. The going would only get tougher from here on really. Make sure you don't sweat either Bubba. Sweat really kills you out here" Kliko starts digging a basic shelter by removing the snow along side the off-wind direction of a heap. At least it provided some shelter against the winds and temperature out here.

Satisfied with the shelter Kliko puts on an additional jacket, tears away the wrapper of another energybar and takes another sip from his camel back. "Better put our crampons on and rope up for the rest of the trip. Pity really they don't have these bars with kaff-taste and smell. That would be awesome really. Here, have some as well, suits you. You really got to get some energy in that body chummer, no wonder you are so cold"..."pity Relentless didn't put some parafine-based burners in these packs. We could have had hot drinks up here, imagine that!"
SneakyJoeKDB
09:14:40 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

"Shelters is a good ideas..." Bubba begins to pick up picnic tables and positions several tables on their sides in a horse shoe type formation. Bubba positions the horshoe table fort in such a way that would block the wind. He then digs the snow out of his horshoe table fort while piling the snow on the outer sides of the tables. Bubba uses the outer snow piles to clog any gaps that wind could penetrate through.

As Bubba is carrying tables he looks at Kliko, who appears to be watching Bubba with curiousity wondering what the big troll is up to next.

"hehe... I like to builds stuffs... besides da others will needs a place to keep warms..."

After Bubba finishes his master piece he nestles inside his picnic table fort for a quick rest. "Wakes me up in 20s then ill gets geared ups," Kliko hears from behind the snow fort.
Kliko
09:40:14 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

"Hey, make some room in there... that looks much better and bigger than my own" Kliko crawls into the improvised shelter "at least we're out of the wind in here. You get some rest, Relentless did a proper job really at getting supplies for these packs. I found some stuff in there which we can use to make some hot drinks. That will cheer our mood for sure..."
Bastard
09:46:22 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Inside Camp Bubba's Shelter, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 50o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 18 inches of snow outside

The picnic shelter is actually quite roomy, even for a giant and an ork. Though it isn't really that warm, it feels like it compared to outside.
Kliko
09:57:05 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Inside Camp Bubba's Shelter, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 50o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 18 inches of snow outside

The temperature was getting relatively comfortable as the Sterno started to heat up the snow in Kliko's canteen. 'where is it? it must be somewhere in here, for sure' as Kliko rummages through his backpack. He found the little sachets of insta-kaff by the time he got the water boiling. "Here have some of this chummer, will wake you up for good, that's for sure" as he hands the canteen to Bubba. "Better kit up too when you're done with that, we'll be leaving in another few minutes."

SneakyJoeKDB
Bubba accepts the canteen from Kliko and sips away. "Umm good stuffs, helps me feel warms insides." Bubba sips away at the warm insta kaff. As the canteen becomes empty Bubba turns the canteen upside down with his tongue hanging out to catch every last drop of the substance. He then turn to Kliko, "thanks dat was what I neededs..." Bubba slowly gets up repacking some of his gear and also getting together what he needs for the remainder of the trip. He puts on the crampons and ropes up. He looks at Kliko while suited up, "I hopes I gots dis stuffs rights... you give me hands?"
Kliko
10:08:15 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Inside Camp Bubba's Shelter, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

"Hmmm, let me have a look at that" checking all straps and fixes on the crampons and ropes 'oh my, what a mess. Let's get this in good working order' "Here, watch carefully how I put them on... like this you see" These descend harnesses where always a little bit tricky and troll-modded ones even more so. 'Damn giant better not slip and pull me down with him'.

Outside the shelter Kliko checks the giant over one more time adjusting the straps until he nods in approval "well, not bad... for a beginner that is. Let's get going, we got a mountain to climb chummer. Next stop is halfway up Cascade Gulch."
SneakyJoeKDB
"Thanks for da helps... shouldnt we waits for da others, they may needs some helps with da climb."
Bastard
10:09:22 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

The break was a little longer than planned, but well worth it. At least it feels well worth it. It is a lot colder out here than it was in Camp Bubba's Cabin, but that little bit of warmth, plus some warm liquids in the belly, seem to have done the trick. Kliko has checked out Bubba's gear; shoe spikes, harness, backpack, rope. Looks like he is good to go.

That is when the loud echoing of laughter echoes around the bowl of Hidden Valley. It is startling at first, coming out of nowhere, breaking the serenity of nature. Then, it is just annoying, as you can hear Knuckle Duster's loud voice, coming over the ridge.
SneakyJoeKDB
As Bubba hears the laughter he perks up and positions an ear towards the noise... he then realizes it's an annoyingly familiar sound.

"Its da foo foo boy..." Bubba says to Kliko. "You should make sures hes geared ups goods too."
Bastard
10:11:27 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

Duster comes over the ridge with his patent goofy smile, matched only by his odd style of walk. A few steps behind him comes V, looking to be keeping up, but on fumes alone.

"Hey guys. Thought we would never catch you. I must say, thank you for the nice trail through the snow."

He strides down the hill coming upon your position. V is not so quick down the hill, but follows.

"Looks like you guys are in full gear! It's a good thing we caught up... I don't know if we could get in these harnesses ourselves. These crampons were a pain in the ass themselves." He lifts his right foot up and freezes in what looks like some weird karate pose, showing off his shoe spikes.

After he is satisfied with Kliko's inspection, Duster returns to a normal standing position.

Kliko
10:11:45 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

"That must have hurt a lot coming up here Duster. You got these crampons whole wrong. Let me have a quick look at the both of you." 'oh my, I wonder how the final group is coping really?' Kliko briefly inspects both mojo-slingers putting the crampons in good working order. "Now let me see these harnesses you're carrying. You put them like this" grabbing the loops in such a fashion as if the harnesses themselves were like a kind of short trouser. "Then step into them like this and fix these straps in such a way that they're nice and tight, but don't hinder your blood circulation"... "We made a small but improvised shelter between the trees over there, so best take some rest. R got somethings from his Dummy-guide alright and put some Sterno and insta-kaff in your packs. I suggest you both put it to good use and get something hot inside of you yes"

"Bubba and I will be making our way to the saddle between Shastina and the summit alright. We probaply create a little shelter at our next stop as well, depending on weather conditions really... The park ranger wasn't really sure whether a storm would hit Shasta tonight or not, so best be careful. Better have some time left at camp this afternoon and make a proper shelter. Don't wanna be exposed to the elements out there" Kliko looks up the mountain "that's where the real danger comes from anyway..."
Bastard
10:19:11 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

Kliko has Knuckle Duster and V all squared away in a matter of minutes. While a bit winded, the physad is ready to go, V however, is ready for a long break.

Duster and Relentless have already redistributed the load of RG, so that she might move a little quicker. From the information you have gathered, the last group should be hitting Hidden Valley in the 15 to 20 minutes.
SneakyJoeKDB
"Klikos, I thinks we should waits for RGs and Mr. da Relentless, because theys are kinda smalls and wimpys. They may needs to have thier gears checked alsos or they may splats down the mountains and thens we wonts be gettings the infos we needs withs a poor deads Mr. da Relentless."
Kliko
10:19:20 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

The serenity of Hidden Vallley was overwhelming to people not used to it. On the slopes of mt Shasta at least the wind was there to tuck your clothing. But here in the valley they could actually make out the different birds twittering away. He had seen outbacks before, but hardly ever in a recreational manner like today. "Sure, no problem Bubba, let's get these two in the shelter and wait for the others..." 'what the frag do we know about computers chummer? We need to get up the mountain too... if that storm hits Shasta this evening we're screwed'

"You guys make sure you get enough energy bars and water into your system right" It wasn't even paternal instincts kicking in "At this elevation you use up a lot more energy and the cold can really dehydrate you as easily as a hot summer afternoon..." 'Besides, we need eachother to get the job done properly.'
Bastard
10:19:30 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

"I am sure V can show them how to get their gear on. I am ready to go," Duster says with enthusiasm. "Also, when they get to the top, we will already have camp set up, and be able to help them if they need it. When I saw them down at Horse Camp, they seemed to be doing fine."
Kliko
10:19:36 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

"I want you here with V, Duster. We can't risk leaving any of the crew alone in this outback. They would just make easy pickings for local wildlife." Turning towards the mountain, gauging its deadly beauty "We'll install some cammings and screws along the climb in order for you to secure yourselves along the ascend. Take the rest Duster, prep a hot drink for your chummer V here and sort out the kit for the gnome and the Relentless when they get up here. Come on Bubba, time to get our arses moving again. If all goes well we should see them again at camp around 1600-ish."
Bastard
10:19:55 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Hidden Valley, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 8,400 ft

"People of my path don't always need to rest as often as the mundane," somewhat discouraged, Knuckle Duster continues, "...but if you think that's the best plan, I guess I will hang out here." He turns and grudgingly makes his way towards the shelter to join V. He drags his feet, kicking snow around on his way.

Bastard
13:32:01 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,200 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 28o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 18 inches of snow, Wind 20-25 mph NNE, Wind Chill 12o Fahrenheit

Movement up the mountain is painfully slow, and dreadfully tiring. Being alone with Shasta and her countryside, scenery and essence earlier was somewhat peaceful, inspiring and awesome. Now you see another side of her, as sharp winds bite at your skin, cutting through your winter clothing. Visibility is limited, or at least seems that way, as every direction is a blanket of white fog, mist and snow. You are, however, still able to find your way up the icy terrain. The environment has not had any effect on your equilibrium or sense of direction, not that you need it with Kliko's map overlay.

The climb keeps you warm enough to survive, but you miss the shelter back at Hidden Valley. You know your bodies cannot hold out forever, especially with little experience in these conditions. Looking back down the mountain, you can see a nice deep path cutting through the snowy mountain side and disappearing into the mist. At least the others should have an easier climb, but they should have caught up by now, unless they are taking a lot of breaks. It won't be long before you are in the saddle between Shastina and Shasta summits. From there, it shouldn't be long before you reach Camp Whitney.

You are hammering in another cam, setting up a... What was that!? The both of you give each other a look of "did you see that?" yet not knowing if you in fact saw anything at all. Or at least not anything you can describe. It was like a flash off to the left, out in the fog, but it wasn't shiny. More like a shadow, but it wasn't that dark, and well... you don't think it was a shadow.
SneakyJoeKDB
13:33:01 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,200 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 28o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 18 inches of snow, Wind 20-25 mph NNE, Wind Chill 12o Fahrenheit

"Uh Klikos... I dont thinks we ares alones. I saws somethings..." Bubba perks up and sniffs into the air like a dog. "There is somethins nears us maybe watchings or followings us... and its not da foo foo boy..." Bubba half smiles and then ensures his cyber shot guns are ready to rock and roll as he continues to scan the area... as things remain quiet Bubba takes extra time to check his safety bolts for security and then steadily, but cautiously, continues to climb.
Kliko
13:33:06 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,200 ft

'What the frag!' Kliko freezes as he appears to be scanning their surroundings before slowly squatting and turning in Bubba's direction. "Bets put your gloves back on Bubba. You don't want to risk frostbite out here. Probaply more dangerous than any other critter out there too." Kliko whispers in in a low voice. "Best try this first" tapping the bright yellow colored spray tank at Kliko's hipbelt. "Or get that axe of yours out if you're not to confident in our mad sneaking skillz" Kliko says with a big grin all over his face.

"You allright chummer? let's go before that ...whatever... returns."

It was undeniable the environment was getting on their nerves as the pair continued their ascend in silence. 'Best not to disturb something on this mountain.. anything'
SneakyJoeKDB
13:33:12 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,200 ft

Bubba returns the smile and says with a whisper "Well I suppose theys can fires through da gloves if we needs em toos. Dont thinks I wants to swings an axe whiles I bes hanging on da mountain sides."

Bubba continues to climb...
Kliko
13:33:13 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,200 ft

"Works for me chummer, but don't complain to me about cold hands when you work whatever you're packing..." for all it was worth the big troll's answer cheered his mood somewhat. 'The others are much worse of anyway...'
Bastard
13:43:55 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,200 ft

The climb goes a little slower, as the two of you seem to keep looking up, looking back, looking around as you work. You don't see any other sign of anybody, or anything, around. What ever that movement was, it doesn't seem to be coming back... but you can't shake that feeling of being watched.

14:06:20 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 26o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 20 inches of snow, Wind 20-30 mph NNE, Wind Chill 8-11o Fahrenheit

Kliko and Bubba hit the fork, and head east, toward Camp Whitney and the Shasta Summit. Persistent winds whip snow around the two climbers, greatly limiting visibility. The constant rush of cold air is definitely noticed by the two, but they are only a mile from their destination. Unfortunately, that destination is at the top of a steep incline of another 2000 feet.

"Please leave."
Kliko
14:06:23 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 26o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 20 inches of snow, Wind 20-30 mph NNE, Wind Chill 8-11o Fahrenheit

Kliko and Bubba look at eachother as if dumb-struck. "you heard that?" 'my mind ain't playing tricks on me, how the frag did this thing find us?'

"Hello! anybody out there!" Kliko yells out. Whatever it was they were dealing with, he'd rather see it face-to-face. 'unlikely to be a critter or it would have attacked us straight out. Perhaps one of Lodge's shamans patrolling this parallel dimension those mojo-slingers keep talking about?'

"Hello! Anybody out there! We are making our way to camp Whitney! Tomorrow we plan to ski down Clear Creek! ... Hello!? ... We're not even coming close to the summit! Could you give us a pass?"... "I'm going to radio-in to that park ranger back at Horse Camp. I want to know what the status on that storm is. Besides, whatever this is... its bound to respect that ranger"... 'what do you have to hide Kliko, apart from being a badd-ass motherfucker about to sneak into a great dragon's lair?'

SneakyJoeKDB
14:06:29 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

'Bubba thinks to himself, hmmmm it, or whatever it is asked us nicely, maybe it will talk to us. Maybe... like us, it doesnt want trouble."Umm please leaves?? you asks so nicelys care to let us sees who is askings us? Wes just yous friendly hikers and happy campers..."Bubba looks back at Kliko in anticipation of response from the "whatever."
Bastard
14:06:35 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

The voice is loud, but calm, smooth and passive. It surrounds you from the encompassing winter clouds and repeats itself, "Please leave."
SneakyJoeKDB
14:06:41 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

"Oks... since you askeds us nicelys we be leavings in dat directions." Bubba points towards the direction of Camp Whitney and increases his pace. "If you likes, you can joins us for a warm cups of soykafs, mys buddie heres knows how to warms da soul withs a nice cups of soykafs."

Bubba is actually enjoying the conversation as little as it is, but it makes him feel like he is talking to himself out loud, which under normal circumstance would seem weird if anyone one else were to notice. And besides the "thing" or his "concsience" as he would prefer is using the word please, much better than the sprawl he is used to.
Bastard
14:06:50 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

"You are not welcome here. Leave now."
SneakyJoeKDB
14:06:50 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

"Why Nots? Are yous prejudices against big hunky trolls and cute whittle orcs"

Of course anything is little to Bubba, including other trolls. Bubba doesnt seem to feel threatened and smirks at his last comment. Bubba is about to say more when he hears Kliko...
Kliko

Channel 9: "Chuck Finley, Chuck Finley, Chuck Finley reporting in for Horse Camp Ranger Station over... I repeat Chuck Finley, Chuck Finley, Chuck Finley reporting in for Horse Camp Ranger Station over..."

"I'm very sorry about this situation, sir. We will have this cleared out in a manner of minutes"
Bastard
14:06:56 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

Channel 9: "We read you Chuck Finley. What is your emergency?"
Kliko
14:06:59 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

Visibly relieved with the ranger's quick response:
Channel 9: "Sir, Chuck Finley reporting at position November four one two four four zero Whiskey one two two one three zero zero, I repeat November four one two four four zero Whiskey one two two one three zero zero. A voice here demands we vacate the area please advise best course of action over..."

The words appeared to come from his lips as if some kind of mumbojumbo, yet for Kliko this really was a second nature. "What?" looking up Bubba oblivious of the abacadabra he just spoke...
SneakyJoeKDB
14:07:05 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

Bubba, looking at Kliko, turns his head slightly slanted and with a dumbfounded look on his face questionably utters the sound, "Uhhhoooo?"
Bastard
14:06:56 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

Channel 9: "Please switch over to Channel 4, Mr. Finley. Keep Channel 9 open for emergencies. Ranger 7 out."

Kliko
14:06:59 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

'Damn, hope I did not piss him off to much...'

Channel 4: "Finley for Ranger seven, Finley for Ranger seven, Finley for Ranger seven. Sorry about that sir, its just not that I am used to the fog calling out to me. I guess I overreacted somewhat. Please advise over..."
Bastard
14:07:10 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

Channel 4: "Mr. Finley, this is Ranger Seven. Nothing to be worried about. There is a lot of magical activity up there near the summit. From what the gifted tell me, a lot of spirits roam the area. Just keep moving, most of the wild just want to be left alone, and I don't think the dragon's are too aggressive." Break.

"Unless provoked of course."
SneakyJoeKDB
14:07:16 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

Upon overhearing the radio communication Bubba blurts out, "Silly Spirits, go aways, dont bother us... or I'll creates my owns toxics spirits and it wonts smells very goods." Bubba is thoroughly amused... seems to be the most fun he has had all day.
Kliko
14:07:17 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft

"Knock it off, will ya. You wanna take a dump, best do it in a plastic trash bag and take that shit along with you. Keeps you nice and warm while we're at it. We ain't gonna do anything that provokes the mountain. For all we know, it puts an avalanche upon our sweet asses"

Channel 4: "Copy that Ranger seven. Damn elves discovered that the hard way back in '53."

<<break>>

Channel 4: "Ranger seven, could you provide us with an update on the storm that was bout to hit Shasta tonight? over..."
Bastard
14:07:29 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 26o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 20 inches of snow, Wind 5 mph NNE, Wind Chill 20o Fahrenheit

"Why won't you leave?"

Channel 4: "Wait one."

There is a short delay of maybe 20 seconds. The wind seems to have died down suddenly and all is quiet.

Channel 4: "Mr. Finley. Ranger Seven. Weather report says storm is still rolling in. Should just be some snow, well lots of it. Be safe out there, and please keep moving and don't do anything to provoke the wildlife."

There is a short beak in the transmission, then Ranger Seven keys the mic again, "And that includes spirits."
Kliko
14:07:29 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,500 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 26o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 20 inches of snow, Wind 5 mph NNE, Wind Chill 20o Fahrenheit

Channel 4: "Copy that Ranger seven. I will use my bear whistle when I have some breath to spare, Finley out"

"Let's go chummer. Ranger says we best keep moving. So we keep moving. There's a storm rolling in bringing lots of snowfall with it... Best not get stuck out here, right?"

Without awaiting Bubba's reply, Kliko heads out along the trail projected through his digital overlay. Elevation started to get to him, but was there ever such a thing as easy money?

Bastard
14:20:21 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Cascade Gulch Trail to Shasta Summit, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 10,700 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 26o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 20 inches of snow, Wind 25-30 mph NNE, Wind Chill 9-11o Fahrenheit

After vacating the "spirit's area," the wind quickly picks back up. Kliko and Bubba actually welcome it back, as the dead air seemed to have an eerie effect. Or that may have been from the voices of the clouds. Either way, they welcome back the winds and it lifts their tired spirits.

17:04:56 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Camp Whitney, Whitney Glacier, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 13,100 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 22o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 24 inches of snow, Wind 32-35 mph NNE, Wind Chill 2-6o Fahrenheit

Camp Whitney!

Finally!

Dinner, rest and shelter are all long over due and there is not much daylight left. On top of that, they are nearly completely exhausted. It has been a long, hard day, and they could use some rest. Hopefully with Bubba smashing down a good path and Kliko hammering in the cams, the rest of the team should have had an easier climb.
Kliko
17:29:01 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Camp Whitney, Whitney Glacier, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 13,100 ft
Approximate Weather Conditions: 22o Fahrenheit, Overcast, 24 inches of snow, Wind 32-35 mph NNE, Wind Chill 2-6o Fahrenheit

The heart rate monitor had been flashing alarmlingly in his image link for the past 50 minutes or so. 'You are sweating chummer, go go go! time is of the essence now...' He was exhausting himself to much and he knew it, while he and Bubba were digging for a small shelter to put their tents between some rocky outcroppings. "This will do chummer" with approx 5 feet in height, it should provide the team's camp site with the necessary protection from prevailing winds at this elevation. "Let's get in the tent and take some rest. We'll radio the others shortly to see where they at. I want them here before nightfall" Kliko explains "besides, these clothes are soaked, I need to change and change quickly..." Kliko was already looking forward to the hot drinks he could prepare in another 5-10 minutes from now.

17:38:06 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Camp Whitney, Whitney Glacier, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 13,100 ft

With the snow slowly changing melting into water and water boiling in their sterno lit canteens Bubba and Kliko started to settle down and get comfortable in their tent. Kliko had removed the upper three layers he had been wearing while hiking up here resulting in some breaches of Bubba's personal comfort zone while undressing, guess outdoor life requires some adjustment opposed to the sprawl. "Let's see what the others are up to, they should have been here by now..."

Team Channel <<encrypted, low flux>>: "Kliko for Duster and Relentless report your position and advise status over..." <<break>> "Kliko for Duster and Relentless report your position and advise status over..." << break>> "Kliko for Duster and Relentless report your position and advise status over..."

All they really could do is wait and make sure there were some hot drinks and food to spare. They must have had a tough time getting up here and the sun was already setting... 'fraggers better hurry up. No way, I'm going out there to save their sorry asses in these conditions'
Bastard
17:40:44 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Camp Whitney, Whitney Glacier, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 13,100 ft

Team Channel <<encrypted, low flux>>: Roger, roger, copy that, wilco...
Give it back! - You sound like an idiot - Give it - Let me talk - I had it first - I'll stunball you ...
<break>
Breaker breaker one niner delta zulu, this is D to the U to the Ster, I am walking right to you, over.

Kliko and Bubba have the two three-man tents set up that they were carrying. Knuckle Duster and V are making their final approach to the campsite, carrying the third tent.
Kliko
17:40:44 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Camp Whitney, Whitney Glacier, Mount Shasta, Approx. Elevation: 13,100 ft

'Fragging amateurs'

Team channel << encrypted, low flux>>: "Copy that Duster, you are welcome to approach camp Whitney. We should have some hot tea in a few more minutes." <break> "Kliko for Duster, any sign from the Gnome and Relentless? Pls advise when you had your last visual over..."
Bastard
17:40:59 Saturday, December 03, 2061 - Camp Whitney, Whitney Glacier, Mount Shasta, Approximate Elevation: 13,100 ft

"Hey, Kliko. I am right behind you."

Duster jumps down into the depression to join the team, and is shortly followed by V.

"They aren't too far back. We waited for them at the saddle, where they took a break while we made the last climb. Oh! Did you see all the spirits down there? Astral space here is amazing! It's like the aurora borealis on novacrack!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012