Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New GM with some questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cogwork
I used to play SR back around the 2nd edition. I'm trying to get back into it now and as a GM this time around. Are there any big changes I'm going to have trouble with? I think I have the new test system down, as far as hits and threshold goes (they have to achieve a certain number of hits to succeed right?). I'm currently reading the core book for 4th edition too. Also one of my players has expressed an interest in becoming a cyber zombie. Just how hard should I make that for him to accomplish, because as I understand it those things are monsters. Thanks in advance!
Dashifen
QUOTE (Cogwork @ Feb 12 2009, 10:04 AM) *
I used to play SR back around the 2nd edition. I'm trying to get back into it now and as a GM this time around. Are there any big changes I'm going to have trouble with? I think I have the new test system down, as far as hits and threshold goes (they have to achieve a certain number of hits to succeed right?). I'm currently reading the core book for 4th edition too. Also one of my players has expressed an interest in becoming a cyber zombie. Just how hard should I make that for him to accomplish, because as I understand it those things are monsters. Thanks in advance!

Chiefly, don't try to compare numeric statistics between earlier editions and 4th. It's a new system and there are new ways to rate good vs. poor dice pools and capabilities. In other words, when you might have needed all sorts of attributes and skills in the 5+ range in earlier editions, you can get by with attributes and skills in the 3-5 range in 4th since you add them together to get your dice pools.

Read through the book a few times and ask questions here. We might harass a bit more than we should, but you'll get the answer and, when available, the argument for or against that answer.

As for cyber zombies, I'd advise against it unless that character is going to be the star of the plot. There are rules for them in the Augmentation rulebook, but they can be insanely powerful. What with some of the qualities and genetech in Augmentation, you can get quite a large amount of cyberware installed (the Cyberware Compatibility Quality and the Adapsin genetech are the ones to which I'm referring) without going below 6 points of essence. If being a CZ is integral to the player's character, maybe it'll work. It'll also depend on the game you're going to run. If it's a shoot-em-up or combat heavy game, a CZ might feel at home, but if it's going to be a largely investigative/social situation, the CZ might feel pretty useless in most of the situations.

Though I imagine there should be a hell of a bonus to intimidation tests when you've got one standing behind you!
Medicineman
@Cogwork
The biggest difference is that the Game evolved .Now you have WiFI,Hackers instead of Decker,Riggers are not separate anymore and also there is not much of a Distinction between Hermetics and Shamans(Ruleswise ,which is a very good thing ImO).
I'd advise you to start with the BBB only and don't allow a Cybercombie. Not with your first game !
Tell Your Player to try the Cyberzombie later on

JahtaHey
Medicineman
Cogwork
Thanks for the reply and links! As for the CZ I'm not going to let him start as one, I'm going to make him work for it. And I was planning on more shoot'em up style runs for the most part. Thanks again!
Speed Wraith
I came back to SR in the current edition and last played SR1 and 2. Other than the timeline advances, removal of deckers, addition of technomancers and the fact that everyone now knows what the Universal Brotherhood was up to, there isn't much to really absorb. As they used to say in the old days, "The more things change..."

Mechanics wise the big thing is dealing with no more combat/rigging/sorcery/etc. pools. If your players are also coming from a SR2 background, then make sure they read the rules on Edge two or three times wink.gif

Personal advice: as a GM, make good use NPC edge. smile.gif
Draco18s
From my current GM, SR4 is easier to get into from SR2 than SR3 (or converting from SR2 to SR4 is easy, as he was running a 2nd edition run for us).

Also, Initiative passes. Everyone wants more of them, and it isn't based on your dice anymore.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Feb 12 2009, 12:31 PM) *
Personal advice: as a GM, make good use NPC edge. smile.gif

I agree. I specifically underpower NPCs and then use Edge to make them more dangerous (especially the oft-forgotten spend Edge of an extra pass or to go first in a given pass rules). BY underpowering them, I can avoid the TPK which -- for my games -- would seriously unravel the plot by having to introduce new characters. Might be enough for me to simply give up on a plot and indicate that the players fail and the world goes on. But, with underpowered NPCs + Edge, I can gauge and adjust based on the state of the players during any given opposed test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012