Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What have I done?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
ludomastro
My oldest three kids are 7, 7 and 5 today. The wife and I bought them a Wii. Now I can't get my wife away from said toy. I had no idea how addictive the little thing can be. Anyone else suffering from this?

-----

I am; however, looking forward to virtual console.
paws2sky
I haven't experienced Wii-widow(er) Syndrome first hand, but I know others who have.

My wife's current addiction is Starcraft. I foolishly bought the download, thinking it might be fun to play the story mode again. She spent last Saturday playing it with our 5 year old. She even went so far as to go over to her dad's to get an extra copy so she could play with our son.

-paws
hobgoblin
hmm, girl geeks, or maybe geek girls, where do you people find them?
Stahlseele
oh, you know . . around . .
Ryu
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 20 2009, 02:40 PM) *

I found mine at the gaming table. love.gif smile.gif
ravensmuse
Internet (seriously).

Alex: Here's the fun thing. People don't talk about it much, but there are fun adult games on the Wii! Crazy, right? No More Heroes, Wario Land: Shake It, Metroid Prime 3, House of the Dead, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Super Paper Mario and soon, Madworld (which is like Sin City on crack), Fatal Frame, and Dead Space.

The great thing about the Wii is how everyone in the house wants to play it. My girlfriend is not a video game person, but the Wii has gotten her to play a bunch of different stuff with me. Our current favorites are Tetris World (Virtual console d/l), Dokopon Kingdom (take Mario Party and give it rpg mechanics; you can do pvp and do mean stuff to other players like shave their heads or give them new nicknames), Animal Crossing, and Mario Party 8. And you need Smash Bros. Brawl. Trust me on this.

Also, Mario Galaxy is fun and has a great two player option for you to play with your kids. I couldn't get my girlfriend to do it with me, but here's a good summation of what it's like.

Mostly, enjoy!
Wesley Street
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 20 2009, 08:40 AM) *

Why, the Internet of course! Actually, I'm kind of being serious. I met my fiancee on Match.com... One of my Shadowrun players met his quite attractive wife playing D&D.

We don't have a Wii but my lady loves her PSP and the Playstation 2 I gave her. But her dad and step-mom have a Wii and they love the thing. It's like a board game. A lot of Wii-centric games are simple, addictive and fun to play as a group.

Comedian Aisha Tyler loves her XBox. She made a joke that having kids would cut into her XBox time. Mila Kunis is a major World of Warcraft geek. Non-gothapottami girl geeks aren't as rare as we might think.
paws2sky
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 20 2009, 08:40 AM) *

We had very overlapping social circles for years before we ever actually met.

I first met her at a Vampire LARP - she was giving away a tacklebox full of Warhammer 40K figures. That piqued my curiosity, but she didn't seem interested in anything but LARPing. Later in the fall, we hung out for the first time and we played Warhammer 40k (I gave her her Deathwing army back a few week prior, since she was lamenting getting rid of them).

We were pretty content to be friends, but her boyfriend got increasingly pissy about the fact that someone else was talking to her, let alone going off to a very public place like a gaming store anf playing a miniatures game in full view of a dozen or more people! He was very dramatic... And he made the mistake of trying to control her life. She said fuck off and kicked his ass out of the apartment.

We were content to be friends, but we got setup by our friends - literally - in an effort to get us together as a couple. Their plan worked. The rest is history.

-paws
hobgoblin
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Feb 20 2009, 03:42 PM) *
Alex: Here's the fun thing. People don't talk about it much, but there are fun adult games on the Wii! Crazy, right? No More Heroes, Wario Land: Shake It, Metroid Prime 3, House of the Dead, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Super Paper Mario and soon, Madworld (which is like Sin City on crack), Fatal Frame, and Dead Space.

and dont forget that it can also play gamecube games, so go dig up this wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Don't worry, you'll run out of things worth playing quickly.

(Not that I'm bitter or anything)

~J
nezumi
I met mine overseas. She was dating my girlfriend's brother. We decided to cut out the middle man.

As for our Wii problems, a 2-year-old and fifteen minutes unsupervised with a penny just about did it. I managed to fix the Wii, but not the Wii Fit disc. I guess I'll have to see about copying that from somewhere... Regardless, it was sufficient to break THAT particular addiction for a while. Now if only I could get her to tone down the RPGs a bit...
ravensmuse
Oh my god, Eternal Darkness is the greatest game ever. Even if we did spend most of it calling the main bad guy "Fleshy".

There's been some great announcements lately, from EA and Capcom announcing a focus shift onto the Wii to SquarEnix putting Dragon Quest X and awesome looking Crystal Chronicles games on there, the dearth of video games should be ending soon. Really, it's a lot like when the DS first launched; people were putting out quick ports until companies started devoting time and energy and money on it, and all of a sudden we're getting these totally awesome games for it.

Besides, I've got a Ps3 for when I want HD-licious games, and all I've really used it for was Lego Star Wars. I am gonna get the Penny Arcade game for it soon though (I'd have it now, but my girlfriend got me a bunch of games for Valentine's Day! Yay honey!).
deek
My wife is not a gamer, but once we got a Wii, we played it quite a bit the first couple of weeks. Even had parents over to play some things like bowling and boom blox.

We don't play it nearly as much as we used to. We both have hobbies that keep us busy at night after the kids are in bed (she scrapbooks and knits, I play WoW), but anytime I've mentioned going downstairs and playing something on the Wii, she's always up for it.

I'm sure if neither of us had other hobbies that kept us busy, we'd be playing on the Wii a whole lot more.
Kagetenshi
ravensmuse: get Valkyrian Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles. A few things here and there could be done better, but it is amazing.

~J
Adarael
If you like tactical RPGs along the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea, get Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Because 1) it's one of the most difficult tactical RPGs I've played, and 2) I have to pimp out the games I've worked on. wink.gif
ravensmuse
I suck hardcore at tactical games. I own almost everything Nippon Ichi has put out in the last few years and have barely progressed in any of them. Final Fantasy Tactics? Not even close. My genre is old school roleplaying games (none of this weird garbage they've been pushing on us lately) and adventure games. Currently I'm playing Wario Land: Shake It!, The Force Unleashed (I don't care that it doesn't have HD-licious graphics - I can hold the nunchuck upside down and Force Choke people!) and No More Heroes.
AJCarrington
QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 19 2009, 11:41 PM) *
My oldest three kids are 7, 7 and 5 today. The wife and I bought them a Wii. Now I can't get my wife away from said toy. I had no idea how addictive the little thing can be. Anyone else suffering from this?

Yep; my kids are 8, 7 and 5. The wife loves Animal Crossing and the kids alternate between LEGO Indiana Jones / Animal Crossing / MarioKart / Wii Sports. My alos admit that I'm kind of partial to the LEGO games as well... blush.gif

AJC
Wesley Street
I need to check those Lego games out some time. I thought they sounded like a ridiculous concept when I first heard about them but I have friends who are hooked on Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Star Wars.
AJCarrington
Can definitely be a time black hole; especially if you "have" to find everything... wobble.gif

AJC
Chrysalis
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 20 2009, 07:00 PM) *
I met mine overseas. She was dating my girlfriend's brother. We decided to cut out the middle man.

You cut out the sister?
mrslamm0
Yah I once found my self addicted to the wii too bad my ex took it with her when I moved out. I couldnt really stand the silly mini-games games but no more hero's and red steel was fun. Also put some home brew on it too witch worked out pretty well. Unfortunate we couldnt find other things to do she never liked my shadowrun addiction so that made it hard hmm if I can find a table top nerd girl ill be set lol

nezumi
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Feb 22 2009, 07:14 PM) *
You cut out the sister?

And her brother. I know, poor choice, but she was a fundie, so she wouldn't have gone for the group thing even if I'd asked. Plus, not much of a geek.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Feb 21 2009, 01:56 PM) *
I need to check those Lego games out some time. I thought they sounded like a ridiculous concept when I first heard about them but I have friends who are hooked on Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Star Wars.

I think the fun lies in the nostalgia. I know that personally, part of the reason I invested so much time and energy into Star Wars was the fact that every level I was unlocking up to five characters that I could use for the freeplay runthroughs. Plus, they added little bits of characterization in there; when Han is at rest, he's still got his trademark smirk and his hand's are on his hips, Chewie can rip out lego arms in melee, Yoda limps about with his cane unless his lightsaber's out, droidekas have to stop and let their forcefield charge before they can fire their guns (with the appropriate sound effects used)..and that's not even going into who actually gets unlocked, like some of the Clone Generals from Clone Wars, jawas, the elephant guy from New Hope, Admiral Ackbar (squee!), and most of the Jedi Council (Aayla Secura, Plo Koon [woot!], Ki Adi Mundi, Shaak Ti)...

Get the combined LEGO Star Wars games and you're all set. There's a ton of unlockables and you can spend weeks working your way through everything - though I'll warn that most of the flying parts suck. I should have more fun flying LAATs damn it!

I really hope that they do another LEGO Star Wars game, especially if they put some Clone Wars & Force Unleashed in there (which I spent most of this weekend playing on my Wii) I would be the happiest geek in the world.
kanislatrans
wife got the Wii. haven't seen her or kids in a week... grinbig.gif

I like the xbox360 personally, but I like the golf (needs more club selection, though) on the Wii and have started the Wii Fit thing...not a bad workout for a 40 ish somewhat out of shape guy.

I still feel it goes against the whole purpose of video gaming.(what do you mean, I have to get off the couch?) but it is kind of addictive...
Wesley Street
I got a real kick out of the tennis and bowling mini-game that came with the basic Wii package. They were ridiculously simple but good party games for players of all ages. My fiancee's family had a blast with them last Thanksgiving.
TBRMInsanity
I took the other approach. I turned my wife into a girl geek (Mwahahahahaha!!!). I have enough "toys" in the house to appease both of use though. So if she wants to play the Wii I can still play on the computer, the PS3, or go through my many RPG books. It's a perfect geek marriage.
fistandantilus4.0
My wife is also of the "convert" type, although we still don't have Diablo II anywhere in the house because of her. She was also big on KOTOR: The Sith Lords, which was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it even more because once she beat the game, she was done with it. It was no longer of use to her. I like that kind of cut throat gaming in a woman.

She also writes better SR games than I do.
Shadowrunner13
I found my wife in high school and we explored our personal geekdom together. We found we had way too much in common to get the other go. smile.gif

As for the Wii, yeah I bought it when it first came out (being an irredeemable Nintendophile) and I've really enjoyed it. My wife has also got a kick out of it, even playing games she would typically avoid on other consoles. Our big one right now is Call of Duty: World at War (one of those games she would leave the room for if it were on a "less accessible" console)...she's been playing a ton of matches online and for someone who had never played a FPS before, she is rapidly becoming a crack shot... wink.gif

And the virtual console stuff is awesome. There's still a few titles I'm eager to see them release (currently hooked on Ogre Battle), but I've been playing so much SNES lately, I can wait a little longer before I acquire anything else...

SR13
Mekalus
Wife is not much of a gamer so imagine my suprised shock when one day she calls me and says she went a little crazy at the local Best Buy. She comes home with a Wii, Wii Fit, Several Wii games and accessories including Mario Kart and an extra Wii Wheel. I was stunned into silence and have rediscovered her competitive streak on Wii fit. She has knocked me off the top 10 lists of several of the balance games over and over. I have been hooked myself on Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Raymans Raving Rabbids. I need more time to play everything I want to play durnit!
nezumi
Lemme aks - our Wii Fit disc got scratched to hell. Is it possible to download a ROM and burn a new copy? We have all of the hardware. Any other ideas on how to get a new copy?
ravensmuse
Contact Nintendo's Service. Even if you've had it for more than 90 days, they should be able to work out something with you.

This is why it's a good reason to register your games with Nintendo, because when you do, they extend your warranty by another ninety days (IIRC).
Byron
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Feb 20 2009, 08:30 AM) *
I haven't experienced Wii-widow(er) Syndrome first hand, but I know others who have.

My wife's current addiction is Starcraft. I foolishly bought the download, thinking it might be fun to play the story mode again. She spent last Saturday playing it with our 5 year old. She even went so far as to go over to her dad's to get an extra copy so she could play with our son.

-paws

Dude that's awesome, she's teaching your kids right and educating a new gaming generation! This type of teaching is to be encouraged rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012