Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attribute-linked hacking optional rule
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Professeur
The title pretty much sums it up.
I'm about to run a 500BP mostly matrix-based campaign. It's not going to be 100% VR or hacking stuff, but I wanted to have three (I always game with the same three dudes) matrix-based characters so I could do much more hacking and stuff like that without leaving most of the party behind.
What I have right now is this : one technomancer, one rigger and one hacker-Conman. I've decided to use the attribute-based optional rule because I think rolling Skill+Program is the dumbest idea in the book (just like anything that breaks the natural flow of the rules, everything should just be Skill+Att, and the gear should only be a cap on successes).
Technomancer rolls Resonance+Skill, capped by CF
Hacker rolls Logic+Skill, capped by Rating
Rigger rolls Reaction+Skill, capped by System (or whatever the "program" is in the basic rules)

Now I know the third one is a stretch, but in my mind that fits what is the spirit of the game. Has anyone tried anything similar ? How did it go ? What were the results in term of general power/DP creep ?
HappyDaze
I havn't tried it, but I too would like to hear from those who have. It sounds pretty good in theory, but it may really boost the Technomancer over the hacker. That may not be a bad thing...
pbangarth
I'm using it right now, but have just started a campaign. It's online, and I wanted to streamline the play as much as possible. My early impression is that it was the right thing to do. The players caught on right away as it parallels the magic system, Attribute + Skill capped by Force (Rating of program).

I'd be interested in hearing how a Matrix heavy campaign works out.
InfinityzeN
I've been using it for a while now and it works pretty good. Actually it doesn't make the TM all powerful, since they can't as easily get Logic boosters without losing some of their Res which hurts. You have to decide if you want Sprite assist to increase DP (what I do) or CF rating. You also have to figure out if you want the use of Edge to allow the user to exceed the Cap (I raise cap by Edge or double, whichever is lower) or not.

It does raise the difficulty of hacking systems though since hackers now have a success cap. Even if they managed to somehow get a DP of 30, they still can only get 6 successes which means it will take them several passes to get into a rating 6 system on the fly, especially if trying for Admin, and makes it more likely that they will get detected by the same. I use a base 2 in my game (for stats, gear, skills, etc) as the norm, so a 3 and 4 Systems are the slightly better then average, 5 is rare and 6 is very rare and dangerous especially if it has good programs and a spider or security hacker.
Draco18s
Personally the next time hacking/rigging/TMs come up in a local game I'm going to suggest that hacking be done the Skill + Attribute (max program) method anyway.

I've been arguing for years that even with powerful tools idiots should not have a chance and that Logic must help the hacker somehow.
Professeur
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Mar 5 2009, 10:26 PM) *
I've been using it for a while now and it works pretty good. Actually it doesn't make the TM all powerful, since they can't as easily get Logic boosters without losing some of their Res which hurts. You have to decide if you want Sprite assist to increase DP (what I do) or CF rating. You also have to figure out if you want the use of Edge to allow the user to exceed the Cap (I raise cap by Edge or double, whichever is lower) or not.

It does raise the difficulty of hacking systems though since hackers now have a success cap. Even if they managed to somehow get a DP of 30, they still can only get 6 successes which means it will take them several passes to get into a rating 6 system on the fly, especially if trying for Admin, and makes it more likely that they will get detected by the same. I use a base 2 in my game (for stats, gear, skills, etc) as the norm, so a 3 and 4 Systems are the slightly better then average, 5 is rare and 6 is very rare and dangerous especially if it has good programs and a spider or security hacker.

What about riggers though ? Do you use Reaction?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012