Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Basic question about augmented maxima
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hex
Heyo,

Simple question - a human phys ad with 4 AG, 6 Magic and level 1 Attribute Boost (AG) can only boost his AG to 6 (current stat x 1.5)? The 2nd errata adds a line about augmented maxima to the power description and references page 62 in the main book, but that section only talks about racial maximums which implies that you could boost it to a maximum of 9. If every character has an augmented maximum equal to 1.5 x their current stat, what is the point of having a separate description of a racial augmented maximum which is necessarily 1.5 x the racial maximum?
Mäx
QUOTE (Hex @ Mar 10 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Heyo,

Simple question - a human phys ad with 4 AG, 6 Magic and level 1 Attribute Boost (AG) can only boost his AG to 6 (current stat x 1.5)? The 2nd errata adds a line about augmented maxima to the power description and references page 62 in the main book, but that section only talks about racial maximums which implies that you could boost it to a maximum of 9. If every character has an augmented maximum equal to 1.5 x their current stat, what is the point of having a separate description of a racial augmented maximum which is necessarily 1.5 x the racial maximum?

Augmented maximum for stats is always 1,5*Racial maximum, so with right ware you could have agility 1(9) as human. cyber.gif
Nova
QUOTE (Mäx @ Mar 10 2009, 11:18 AM) *
Augmented maximum for stats is always 1,5*Racial maximum, so with right ware you could have agility 1(9) as human. cyber.gif

then can you explain this statement from p.249 of BBB

"Raising a natural attribute may raise the augmented attribute value, up to the augmented attribute maximum (natural maximum x 1.5)"

If you already have a augmented max of 1.5* racial maximum, then how does it "raise the augmented attribute value" when you spend karma on the attribute?

As I read this, if you have an agi of 4, you can "augment it" to 6. If you spend karma and raise your attribute to 6 (racial max) then you can augment the stat to 9 (normal stat * 1.5) which also happens to be the "augmented attribute max".

So "augmented attribute maximum" = racial max * 1.5
But "augmented attribute" (which is the cap to which you can actually augment any specific attribute) is current attribute * 1.5

That's how I read it anyway.

Seeing as I am in the same game as Hex, he would much appreciate you saying I am wrong. Have at it.
Namelessjoe
well in the case of genaugmentted, exceptional , and metagenetic attributes, you can have a natural max of upto 3(eg: human 9) higher than the stock race so they word it like this so you can re-calculate your personal max if any of these apply (eg: 13 unless you round up 14)
Marduc
Say you have strenght 3 with muscle replacer 2 which gives a total of 5 strenght.
Now you raise your strenght by one with karma, to 4. Enter the muscle replacer 2
Augmented strenght of 6
the_real_elwood
If you had a human character with an Agi of 4 and augmented it to 6, and then later spent the karma to raise your attribute value to 6, then your agumented attribute value would be 8. You now have one more point of Agi that you can gain through augmentation before you reach your maximum augmented attribute value of 9. So the character is subject to both the maximum attribute value and maximum augmented attribute value. I believe there's also some genetech and qualities out there that can raise your attribute maximum, and correspondingly also increase the augmented attribute maximum. But, for an otherwise standard human, the maximum for any attribute is 6 and the augmented maximum (base attribute + cyber/bioware bonuses) is 6*1.5 = 9.
Hex
I guess the quick questions are -
Where is the rule that limits what temporary boosts to stats can boost that stat to?
*Is* there an "augmented maximum" for a character that is different from the "racial augmented maximum"?

Oh, and Nova, in answer to your question (page 264, btw). I have a human sam with base ST4 and +4 muscle replacement so 4(8 ). I spend karma to raise his *natural* strength to 5 and it also raises the augmented value so it becomes 5(9) instead of 5(8 ). Now if I spend karma to raise his base strength again he will go to 6(9) but not 6(10) because 10 is above the racial augmented maximum.
InfinityzeN
Racial Augmented Maximum applies to any form of stat boost, not just cyber/bioware. Drugs and magic also can not take you past it.
Dakka Dakka
Contrary to augmented skills there is no cap that is a function of the present natural attribute. There is only the cap for the natural attribute and the cap for the augmented attribute. So if a human had an attribute 5(9) and he spends karma to raise this attribute, only hthe natural attribute would increase, the augmented value would remain at the maximum of 9. Only if the player would buy the exceptional attribute quality both ratings would increase.

Temprary boosts are subject to the same limitations as long as they are indeed attribute increases and not dicepool boni. The Errata only clarify that the normal rules for maxima also apply to the attribute boost. the adept in your example could use a mximum of 5 hits on his MAG+Attribute Boost test.
Nova
Excellent explanation. Thanks much.
HappyDaze
Racial Augmented Maximum applies to any form of stat boost, not just cyber/bioware. Drugs and magic also can not take you past it.

One semi-exception is Possession. However, in this case, the boosted Attributes are no longer really the metahuman's anymore, they're the Spirit's Attributes for the duration of the Possession (even if Channeling is involved).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012