Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selling rolaplaying game books
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Chrysalis
Greets,

I was thinking as I placed my Shadowrun books up on eBay about some of the trials and tribulations on putting things up online. I mean how often do you sell roleplaying game books?

This is really my first time and I am putting up the apples of my eye.

The uncomforting reality is that when family lives across the globe and storage space is more expensive than apartment there comes the discomforting realisation that it will have to go, and it will have to go by way of selling and donations.

Has this ever happened to you? Do you feel like you are having to give up your children for the name of progress? Or is it simply the putting away of childish things?

Nonetheless, I will cease my shameless plugging. wink.gif
nezumi
Ah, excellent, I was looking at some more quality litter paper for Sir Blackberry. He says fantasy makes the best quality. ;P

Seriously, best of luck, and I can understand the pain. My wedding present from one of my groomsmen was a 1st edition Shadowrun book, which is perhaps one of my few little treasures.
ravensmuse
Right now I'm sort of in the middle of a gaming fast. Well, I would be if I'd actually do it. It's mostly limited to trying to keep myself off of certain inflammatory websites and putting my books away.

So now that I've been into it for more than a few months, I've sort of come to the realization that I don't need some of the stuff I have. I was making a list with my sister last night in my head, and the only things that I want to keep a hold of right now are my DnD books (of which I'm creating a slow but steady collection of), my Shadowrun material, and a few bits and bobs of oWoD material (Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Adventure!, Trinity, Wraith, Changeling, random other things).

It's just part of realizing that you've moved away from certain things and they don't hold that sort of same pull on you as they did once before. I've sold off part of my collection before, mostly oWoD stuff I will never use again (and hey, maybe I'll bump this thread up when I finally do it) and I feel that it's actually pretty refreshing to just cleanse yourself of things you're only holding onto for nostalgia.

No one will get rid of my signed Corax book though. NO ONE! biggrin.gif
deek
One of my friends put up a bunch of 3.5 DnD books on eBay...but that wasn't a big deal cause none of us play 3.x anymore.

But, when he was talking about selling his Deadlands books, I offered to hold them for him until he wanted them back. I did that a long time ago with two boxes of books. I gave them to a friend to hold onto cause I didn't want to store them. He had them for about 10 years and gave me a bunch back when I asked for them.

I'd see if you could find a temporary home for them before selling them...
pbangarth
Years (decades?) ago I sold my entire paperback science fiction collection to finance going to Gencon. Not sure whether the pleasure of convention gaming was worth the pain of loss... but I did have more shelf space for games.
Wesley Street
Call me a tree-hugging, anti-capitalist, bleeding heart but I donated all of my old RPG books as well as my cheap-o licensed tie-in science-fiction paperbacks to local libraries and charities. I had a collection of Star Trek, Battletech and Shadowrun paperbacks that ran from the early '80s to the mid '90s which ended up with their own shelving unit at my childhood library. smile.gif Some high schools love receiving age-appropriate RPG materials as they promote literacy and math skills.
SpasticTeapot
I'd buy a few were they on the right side of the Atlantic.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Apr 14 2009, 05:02 AM) *
Call me a tree-hugging, anti-capitalist, bleeding heart but I donated all of my old RPG books as well as my cheap-o licensed tie-in science-fiction paperbacks to local libraries and charities. I had a collection of Star Trek, Battletech and Shadowrun paperbacks that ran from the early '80s to the mid '90s which ended up with their own shelving unit at my childhood library. smile.gif Some high schools love receiving age-appropriate RPG materials as they promote literacy and math skills.

Tree-hugging, anti-capitalist, bleeding heart

AND

Pro-literacy

I am watching you mister street.

If it were not for RPGs, I would have never fought the system that labeled me incapable of learning. Good on you.

BlueMax
BlueMax
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Apr 14 2009, 07:06 AM) *
I'd buy a few were they on the right side of the Atlantic.

/me holds up the map

Uh Boss, did you mean "correct" or "left"?
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Apr 14 2009, 10:11 AM) *
/me holds up the map

Uh Boss, did you mean "correct" or "left"?

I'm visiting .com, BlueMax is using .uk. Shadowrun ain't worth the shipping charges, ya know?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012