Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SRM at GenCon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Silver12
So, I'm going to GenCon this year. Pretty much only because of SRM. Can't find too many players near here (DC), but REALLY love the game.

As a newbie who'se only clocked an entire 5 scenarios so far from Season 2 as my SR4 experience, any suggestions on what to look for at the con? The SRM Scramble sounds cool - but I honestly have no idea what it really is. Except 8 hours related to SRM!

Anything like an interactive for Living Greyhawk?

Also, might have the chance to play a few scenarios before GenCon, any suggestions as to what to play to get a better understanding of the story/background? I'm assuming SRM3-00 should be in there.....

Any info appreciated, and gratefully accepted.

Thanks!
Jeff.
Aaron
QUOTE (Silver12 @ Apr 14 2009, 08:41 PM) *
The SRM Scramble sounds cool - but I honestly have no idea what it really is. Except 8 hours related to SRM!

Anything like an interactive for Living Greyhawk?

It's not entirely unlike it, although it's designed to have the tabletop and LARP portions flow more seamlessly than Living Greyhawk usually manages. There's a thread about last year's Scramble, if you're curious.
Caine Hazen
Chaos, madness and mayhem, that's what you have to look forward too grinbig.gif

Its just good people who love Shadowrun, playing Shadowrun. The groups I've played with at Origins and GenCon have all been great, and pretty laid back. TheScramble is hella fun.. like Aaron says, take a look over the thread from last year. Overall there's enough Shadowrun fun to go around at GenCon, with all sorts of extra surprises I'm sure... (Caine goes back to the drafting board....)
TeaTime
Last year was my first time at the Scramble, and I'd definitely recommended it. The GMs are really good, and everyone really gets into their roles.

RANDOM SCRAMBLE RECOMMENDATIONS

If you haven't had the chance to run any Missions03, and aren't familiar with 2070's NYC, I'd highly recommend investing in The Rotten Apple Manhattan PDF over at battlecorps.com. It's a great way to get in the flavor and backstory for New York, and to get excited about the Scramble.

Costumes ranges from the very ornate to everyday clothes. In the past, recognition has been given for most in-character. If you can, dress up.

To me, it seems play is at a high level. Players know their PCs, gear, character limitations, game mechanics and the SR universe. You don't have to be an expert, but it isn't designed as a Demo environment.

Other point to mention is that play has been split between tabletop and LARP. Take some time beforehand to practice acting your PC, how he walks, talks, thinks. The LARP component is a big chunk o' fun, but for me, it takes a bit to get used to.

Register early for event LRP0901633. 72 spots seem like a lot, but it fills up surprisingly quickly.

And if you're into SRM enough to bring you to Gencon, no doubt, you're going to have a blast at the Scramble! See you there.
Dashifen
Geez .... 72 people. You weren't kidding that it's larger this year, Aaron biggrin.gif
Silver12
Thanks for all the replies!

One of the best parts of SRM so far - some of the nicest people I have played any 'living' campaign with yet...

I bought a copy of the Rotten Apple pdf, and will definitely familiarize myself with it before the con. The 'play is at a high level is a bit intimidating' as is the whole LARP thing (never really done a real one), but I think I know my character pretty well, so not too worried on that point. I am most definitely NOT a min/maxer, so he doesn't really shine at any one thing, so I am interested to see how he works out. Seemed to do ok in the year 02 missions I've played in...

Looking forward to meeting you all, and seeing everyone at the con. Any other comments/suggestions appreciated!

Jeff.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Silver12 @ Apr 16 2009, 09:35 PM) *
I bought a copy of the Rotten Apple pdf, and will definitely familiarize myself with it before the con. The 'play is at a high level is a bit intimidating' as is the whole LARP thing (never really done a real one), but I think I know my character pretty well, so not too worried on that point. I am most definitely NOT a min/maxer, so he doesn't really shine at any one thing, so I am interested to see how he works out. Seemed to do ok in the year 02 missions I've played in...

In the past, for SRM3, table rating is by consensus at the table (i.e., each table simply chooses the table rating at which they wish to play) you'll probably do fine. When it comes time for the table-top portions, it might just be best to lobby for a lower rating at your table than might be seen else where.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Apr 17 2009, 08:47 AM) *
In the past, for SRM3, table rating is by consensus at the table (i.e., each table simply chooses the table rating at which they wish to play) you'll probably do fine. When it comes time for the table-top portions, it might just be best to lobby for a lower rating at your table than might be seen else where.

The consensus is Bull always gets TR6.
paws2sky
Don't worry about bringing a new character to the table. My wife and I played a couple games at Origins last year with a couple veteran characters from the Denver Missions. It worked out okay.

At TR4, my wife's Street Samurai almost died, but that was due mostly to some incredibly bad rolls. We found TR3 to be about ideal for experienced players with starting characters.

-paws
Silver12
Sounds good smile.gif Glad to hear that relative newbies can play ok in the Scramble. I won't have a completely new character, he's currently got about 55ish Karma, and will have another 2-3 round under his belt I think before the convention.

Haven't really learned any tricks of the trade yet, but that's one of the reasons I'm coming to Indy!

I understand incredibly bad rolls - in one round of Living Greyhawk I never rolled above a 10 the entire module!

Jeff.
Bull
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Apr 17 2009, 08:50 AM) *
The consensus is Bull always gets TR6.

Go big or go home. None of this pussyfooting around with wussy table ratings of 2 or 3 or 5. Bah. Wimps! smile.gif

Of course, I'm pretty sure I've ended up unconscious in 2 out of 3 games so far. Yay for layered armor wink.gif
Redmond Larry
QUOTE (Silver12 @ Apr 14 2009, 07:41 PM) *
I'm going to GenCon ... As a newbie who'se only clocked an entire 5 scenarios so far from Season 2 as my SR4 experience, any suggestions on what to look for at the con?

I just got back from Origins. It was a lot of fun. The GMs were good and they presented the scenarios well. There were many new players to Shadowrun, which is great for the game, and experienced players often took time to mentor/guide them through their experience.

Before you get to the convention you should follow the guidelines for your existing character in the SRM Faq. This will either move your existing character to the New York campaign or you'll have a new character in New York made with the Karma you earned in Denver.

Optional -- play more Denver missions if you want before converting to the New York campaign. Not needed, but fun.

Optional -- play in SRM03-00, SRM03-01 or SRM-02 after converting. Not necessary, of course. If you can only play one, -00 is the introduction to the New York campaign.

The latest Gencon schedule shows that missions -03 through -11 are scheduled to be run at GenCon. Have fun.
Wasabi
Redmond Larry, do I understand correctly that 9 SRM modules are slated for GenCon?
BishopMcQ
03-03 Burning Bridges through 03-11 Food Poisoning by my schedule, plus the Scramble--so 9 standard Missions and 1 special event. The 9 Missions are spread out over 32 tables, and the Scramble is a 72 player event.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012