Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a game in Calgary, Canada
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
Argentis
Hi guys, I'm looking to get back into the Shadows, and I'm looking for a group. I last played back in 2e and a bit in 3e, but I don't have a ton of experience.

I'd prefer to join a group in the south part of the city, and I'm available Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Let me know here or in a PM

Thanks,
Argentis
Argentis
*crrickets*

Nobody out there in Calgary? Or is it the weekdays thing?
BFaolan
It's the Calgary thing. I know of only two SR groups in the city, one of them's mine, and neither is looking for new players right now.
Argentis
Thanks for letting me know. I'll continue gearing up to start my own game then. Though, I'm more than happy to join an existing group if the opprotunity presents itself.
BFaolan
I would check out the Sentry Box downtown.
http://www.sentrybox.com/

They have a posting board for people starting and looking for games on the top floor, by the way in.
Argentis
Yeah I have a notice up there now, and I'm trying to get there on a semi-regular basis to check if someone's advertising. I hope to get my act together in the next few weeks and start looking for players. As everyone says, it's easier to find players than a group.
BFaolan
PM me when you do, I might be interested in playing wink.gif
Portal
Hi Argentis,

I'm a veteran RPGer in my early 30s who lives in south Calgary. I'm about to check out SR4 myself.

I'm currently committed to a regular fantasy RPG campaign. Combined with the WWII tactical wargaming I do, that's the limit of my FtF play time. However, I would like to network with other SR players in the Calgary area. For sure, let's keep in touch.

I'm looking to join a PbP online game at this very moment. Are you interested in hosting one as a GM?
Argentis
Hi Portal, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone up here. I would love to run a SR game, but I have my hands full with running a D&D game at the moment, but if anyone else would be up for running an PbP game, I'd be interested.
Horsemen
There are around thirty players of SR that I know of in the city from when I was running the SR Denver Missions out of the Sentry Box. There are even more than that based on the groups I know of running in the city and given the sales of books out of both the Box and Myth Games.

I took a break from these forums for awhile otherwise I would have posted sooner.

While it does not help you directly, there is a fairly new SR Demo Agent for CGL that runs events (campaign style) out of Myth Games every third saturday of the month and I still run events though not as frequently.

I know of at least five groups in the city that play regularly in a private game. Sizes vary but as far as I know, none are looking for players. Have you joined the demo site?

www.catalystdemos.com

ScooterinAB
I'm also on the Calgary side of things. Although right now, I'm in the Japan side of things (as a side note, I might still pick up the Japanese localization of the game before I leave).

If things start to kick up around June, I'll be back in Calgary then, and would love to join.
Megu
Hi, I just found out that I'm going to Calgary for grad school! I think it'd be a good way to start potentially making some friends in town. I'm hoping to get a gaming group set up there ahead of time, as it'd be good to know what books I've gotta get shipped up and what I can leave.

I can't GM, as I'll be presumably actually studying, but I'd play pretty much anything. SR4 is my baby, and I've been running a game of that set in a homebrew Minneapolis-St. Paul for about a year and a half for some of the girls from the U here, so I'd positively love to play SR4 as a player finally; I've got all sorts of character ideas. But it's far from a dealbreaker; I've had experience with d20, BESM, a lot of things, and I'm open to trying new ones. The only real limitation is that I'm not going to have a car, so it'll have to be somewhere I can bus or walk from the campus apartments.

As far as playstyle, I'm more story/character acting oriented and tend to struggle a bit with mechanics and long combats.

Anyways, if anyone out there is running anything in Calgary, drop me a line! I'd love to get in touch.
Dwight
I'm not in Calgary anymore but what I did was search the whole board for 'Calgary' and send off PMs directly to members. As Horseman, who've I have played with at the Sentry Box, mentions there are a good number of Shadowrun groups and players in Calgary. I'm pretty sure there are something in the range of 10+ that post, or have posted on here at some time.

P.S. Ignore "blakkie", that's me. I did a name change on the Internet to my real name I while back.
Megu
QUOTE (Dwight @ Jul 3 2010, 09:11 AM) *
I'm not in Calgary anymore but what I did was search the whole board for 'Calgary' and send off PMs directly to members. As Horseman, who've I have played with at the Sentry Box, mentions there are a good number of Shadowrun groups and players in Calgary. I'm pretty sure there are something in the range of 10+ that post, or have posted on here at some time.

P.S. Ignore "blakkie", that's me. I did a name change on the Internet to my real name I while back.

Thanks, man. I may do that. I actually heard from one of my contacts on another internet forum who lives up there, that she's got some buddies who game and I may be getting in touch with them, but if that doesn't work I'll just PM everyone on here who's in Calg.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Megu @ Jun 30 2010, 05:35 PM) *
Hi, I just found out that I'm going to Calgary for grad school!

What's your field?
imperialus
QUOTE (Megu @ Jul 3 2010, 05:42 PM) *
Thanks, man. I may do that. I actually heard from one of my contacts on another internet forum who lives up there, that she's got some buddies who game and I may be getting in touch with them, but if that doesn't work I'll just PM everyone on here who's in Calg.

I'll ask my group tomorrow if they'd be up for adding another player. Due to time constraints I'm running Ghost Cartels right now so it might be less than ideal if you are already familiar with it. When would you be moving up here?
Dwight
You are back running Shadowrun in-the-meat, Dave?

Yeah Megu, if you can hook up with Dave he'll do. wink.gif More than likely you'll be riding the train for 40 minutes, I'm guessing his game is running at the other end of the C-Train track from the U of C.
Megu
QUOTE (imperialus @ Jul 3 2010, 09:45 PM) *
I'll ask my group tomorrow if they'd be up for adding another player. Due to time constraints I'm running Ghost Cartels right now so it might be less than ideal if you are already familiar with it. When would you be moving up here?

I'm kind of familiar with it (running a heavily-altered version of First Taste for my players set in Minneapolis), but I'm the kind of player who'll walk into what I know is a trap if it's the in-character thing to do, so I don't think that'd be much of a problem. And I can handle a forty minute train ride. Uh, move in day for the on-campus apartments is the sixth of September, so around then, unless I lose out at the apartment lotto, in which case probably a week or two earlier so I can try to find housing. Yeah, totally let me know if you'd be interested in having me! biggrin.gif
Megu
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jul 3 2010, 07:57 PM) *
What's your field?

Linguistics. Specifically, historical linguistics (etymology and stuff, Calgary's supposed to be great for it) with a focus on Hmong-Mien (could be a problem, no Hmong people up here, but whatever, full funding).
pbangarth
QUOTE (Megu @ Jul 4 2010, 08:47 PM) *
Linguistics. Specifically, historical linguistics (etymology and stuff, Calgary's supposed to be great for it) with a focus on Hmong-Mien (could be a problem, no Hmong people up here, but whatever, full funding).
Can't beat that!
Megu
Bumping because the SR game I found up here fell through. Feels bad man. Anyone still running anything?

Did find a good Exalted game that meets about once every three weeks, but that's not often and it's just not the same, you know?
Horsemen
Are you still looking Megu or anyone else in the Calgary area for that matter?
ScooterinAB
Sadly, I'm not in Calgary anymore. I had to pull up and head to Edmonton. I'd be good for an online game, if you guys are interested. At least the timezones would be the same.
Megu
QUOTE (Horsemen @ Sep 1 2012, 06:25 AM) *
Are you still looking Megu or anyone else in the Calgary area for that matter?

Sorry, I've been off the forums for quite a bit. Real life troubles.

I actually moved home to MN. Couldn't get work with my degree that would allow me to stay in the country. I'm unemployed here, too; living off the folks for now. Things suck. I hope you find a group bro!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012