Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: d20 Prestige Class: The Forger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
JongWK
I posted this on another Forum, but I'd also like to hear opinions from fellow Dumpshockers who play d20.

Some time ago, I had a cool dwarf warrior in my campaign. He did a lot of weapon and armorsmithing in his spare time, to the point that he had earned a certain rep. Of course, to make them magical, he needed a cleric or a mage (two things he came to distrust).

Now, wouldn't it be nice to have a Prestige Class that would allow a combat-oriented character to make magical weapons? They would do justice to legendary weaponsmiths of yore in the Far East, Damascus or Toledo.

A side benefit is that in a martial-oriented campaign, they'd shine, with issues like having less spellcasters being diminished. Yes, I happen to dislike D&D's bizarre and nonsensical spellcasting system.

"Trying to rob me in a back alley? Think again. See, what I'm wielding is no ordinary blade, it was made by Altalion. Yes, I see by the look in your face that you've heard about him. He forged it with the finest mithril ores, and it's still sharp after 800 years of bloody battles.

So, do you feel lucky, punk?"

Sorry, got carried away with the last bit. cool.gif

Has anyone thought about this?
LoseAsDirected
I think it's a great idea, but personally, I would limit it to Dwarves..

Then again, I'm a huge fan of WarHammer, so what do I know?
Savior
In a certain book that i read, I think it was The Halfings Gem, a non -magical dwarf king, Bruenor, creates a magical item using runes and words of power. So i would think that if you limited tthe magic to runic magic then it would work
Ancient History
Except in DnD, Rune magic is mostly (mostly) Divine, which requires a Cleric or Mystic or whatnot.

Basically, to make a magic or psionic item, you have to be able to use magic or psionics! This means you either have to be a spellcaster, or buy scrolls and the like and use "Use Magic/Psionic Device", the handy rogue skill.
moosegod
You might want to look at the "Essential Dwarf" by Mongoose games. That has some good stuff.
JongWK
Might be hard to find it here in li'l Uruguay, but I'll try. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012