Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cowboys & Stuff
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Prime Mover
Been sitting on some spare cash for a few months now and nothing coming out of Catalyst or hinted at in near future so I thought I'd take the opportunity to expand my collection of games. I've been researching around a dozen new ideas and a few have caught my attention. But Aces and Eights have really reached out and grabbed me. Anyone playing or has played this game that would mind sharing there opinion?

Lordmalachdrim
I picked it up since to check it out and it's not bad. It's not organized well but not bad. If you like westerns you'll probably really get into the game. It's broken up into different game sections. The first one is basically what you'd expect for as fast play rules from most companies. Then you get the main game and character creation. Other sections are Cattle Drive, Prospecting, Frontier Justice (They feel like they are separate mechanics, at least until you get the hang of it). It's not my kind of game but I'm not a western fan so it's been sitting on myshelf pretty much since I picked it up.

My group is more interested in SR, and HackMaster anyway.
Prime Mover
Have a few players who are western fans. Played Deadlands and DL d20. Our major focus as far as games are concerned normally are Shadowrun, Star Wars and soon to be Pathfinder as my group is in full revolt against 4th edition D&D. But been looking for a game we can toss in on the days not everyone can make it. My first time looking around Kenzor site and if I had more disposable income I'd pick up Hackmaster just for the nostalgia factor.
Lordmalachdrim
I'd hold of on HackMaster anyway until after Origins (HackMaster Basic should be out then) since the current edition is out-of-print due to license with WotC ending.

Aces & Eights
The oddest thing about ace & eights for me to get use too was the initiative system. Once you determine when you go everything you do is added to that number. Lowest goes first and you just keep counting upward (no rounds/turns). Also you don't gain levels you get build points to buy stuff (skills, talents, etc) for completing this in your current profession (which you can change every session if you really want too). Also before you've survived your first gunfight you are at a real disadvantage in one, as you survive more you get better at them (lower initiative penalty, and improved accuracy).

And getting hit hurts big time. You get shot you're looking at broken bones, bleeding, bullet lodged in your flesh, even infections and since there's no magic you heal slow.

I'd say swing by their forums since there are people there much more knowledgeable able about the game who can help you out.
Wounded Ronin
I've wanted to play it since it came out but since I have nobody to game with I just fantasize about how awesome it would have been.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012