Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Putting Your Office to Work for Gaming!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
tr0n
So, after thinking for a bit on how I'd like to organize my new SR4 campaign, I was thinking maybe of using Visio so I could put together flow charts for my random thoughts and then build a plot out of that disorderly spiderweb. Then I noticed I only have the Visio Viewer so I changed tracks to investigate this OneNote thing finally.

Holy craptactular, Kid Stealth!

[IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/397/onenoterpg.jpg[/IMG]

I can keep multiple tabbed sections with pages of their own for all kinds of things! And it takes image inserts and tables and all kinds of things! Wewwt!
eidolon
I considered using OneNote for my gaming stuff, but so far I've just used a wiki. That way my players and GMs can mess around on it too. I have an "open" wiki for players, and a GM wiki that only I can access where I do all my planning and stuff.
tr0n
Yeah. A wiki format online may be better. That way you could edit things and view things from any computer at any time. We have one for our group, but I don't have anything setup so that I can have a private section that are for GM eyes only. Maybe I should do that... Either way, I'm not too keen on the wiki style commands, as easy as they are I still suck at it.
Caine Hazen
Onenote is really nice on the fly however... as I now have a tabletPC which is my GM FunZone, it works really well to keep notes and upload themto my server. Plus I have a fingerprint access feature, so I don't have to worry bout nosey players. But I think that it has saved me on a notepad worth of paper already this session.
Freejack
Don't know if it works on a Mac, but I also use a Wiki for GMing.

Carl
tete
I use Visio, Excel (Access if the game goes along time), Word, and Powerpoint (session openings). I've experimented using The Movies but seams like too much work for the most part.

QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ May 13 2009, 11:24 PM) *
Onenote is really nice on the fly however... as I now have a tabletPC which is my GM FunZone, it works really well to keep notes and upload themto my server. Plus I have a fingerprint access feature, so I don't have to worry bout nosey players. But I think that it has saved me on a notepad worth of paper already this session.

You may not want to brag about that if any of them are tech savy. If someone has physical access to your computer they can make their own accounts and if you brag about it, it may just encourage someone to do it.
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (tete @ Jun 17 2009, 12:26 PM) *
You may not want to brag about that if any of them are tech savy. If someone has physical access to your computer they can make their own accounts and if you brag about it, it may just encourage someone to do it.

unless the computer is on the domain here locally, and they don't have access to ADUC; or an admin account to add accounts in. Plus thefingerprint reader works to lock and unlock, so if I leave it behind I just do a swipe to lock the computer up. If my players do manage to hac the domain, more power to them... they'll get promoted to hacker in the game too.
tete
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Jun 17 2009, 11:42 PM) *
unless the computer is on the domain here locally, and they don't have access to ADUC; or an admin account to add accounts in. Plus thefingerprint reader works to lock and unlock, so if I leave it behind I just do a swipe to lock the computer up. If my players do manage to hac the domain, more power to them... they'll get promoted to hacker in the game too.

They dont have to hack the domain just reboot your laptop with a bootable disk... Unless the harddrive is encrypted at which point they would have to decrypt it (hours/days/weeks maybe) or wipe it. Physical access is the single biggest problem in computer security. If someone gains physical access there isn't a lot you can do. If you have a CMOS password it will take longer becuase they will have to short out the CMOS to boot the laptop up but still with the right tools its a couple min.

[edit] if you have encrypted the drive its probably not worth it but if not, to the right person its just a challenge of can I do it in 10 min or less. Of course there is always the mythbusters method of just fooling the fingerprint reader, but thats not near as much fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012