Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: real world mysteries you've explored
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
ok in 20 years SR has included some real mysteries,
Big Foot, Loch Ness, ghosts but share what mysteries from our world you've explored in the SR world.
Machiavelli
Nearly every critter in the SR universe? Barghest = Hound of baskerville, Nessie = Sea Dragon, Cerberushound = you know etc. etc.
Stahlseele
Externsteine, Blocksberg.
Of course, the worlds biggest Park Cemetary in Ohlsdorf.
crash2029
Well, once in an early game I ran the team ended up in a previously sealed tomb in Ur where they discovered that Babylonian myths might not have been so fanciful...

I've used the Illuminati and Majestic 12 to good effect.

Once I set a run in a lost temple in the Amazon where the runners found many carvings and friezes that were distinctly Hakkadian in origin. The payoff? They found a khopesh that was over 6,000 years old with a blade that had pure orichalcum veins in it.

Then there was the run where an exec's daughter was captured by a cult run by a very anachronistic vampire from eastern europe.

And finally the run where the team went up against a free spirit that preferred the form of a clown and had a penchant for torturing children. Apparently in the sixth world the Boogeyman might not just be a story...
ShadowPavement
I had a great time running a search for lost Nazi gold for a game I ran in college.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ May 17 2009, 11:53 AM) *
Nearly every critter in the SR universe? Barghest = Hound of baskerville, Nessie = Sea Dragon, Cerberushound = you know etc. etc.

actually nessie is a free spirit, that was revealed in a module, I mean what did your group look into, like Glamis caslte or something, that isn't hinted at in cannon.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ May 18 2009, 02:45 AM) *
Actually Nessie is a free spirit, that was revealed in a module, I mean what did your group look into, like Glamis Castle or something, that isn't hinted at in cannon.

If you mean the old Second Edition adventure Imago then not exactly. Nessie is a Gigantic Freshwater Serpent but there's also a very powerful Great Free Forest Spirit that lives there as well which might be what you're thinking of.
GreyBrother
My guys will explore the treasurey of some egyptian Blue Blood whose mummy does hold a Free Spirit back from wreaking havoc... does this count?
Blade
I think the only times I've used real world mysteries, they turned out to be big fraud exploited by some people who wanted to use the Awakening to use them again.
I like my 5th world without any magic inside and I hate the abuse of templars and other "unexplained" past events in most conspiracies/fantasy-in-our-world stories.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Hmmm, haven't really used mysteries as such. But I've definately used mysterious places with plenty of folklore and legends about them. Primarily when I was researching stome circles and ley lines I came across all sorts of 5th world stories and events that translated well into 6th world facts. It's what makes the Shadowun universe so compelling to me - finding out something that exists in modern-day mythology to enhance the background of the game.
Rayzorblades
We did one once with aliens and the Baigong pipes.
The Jake
QUOTE (ShadowPavement @ May 18 2009, 01:40 AM) *
I had a great time running a search for lost Nazi gold for a game I ran in college.

I'd love to hear about this one.

- J.
MJBurrage
Way back in the days of first edition we were sent on a run to the arctic. The job was to investigate a former ally spirit, supposedly bound into a flesh-form homunculus, during a mana-spike in the 1790s.
Warlordtheft
I used the crysrtal skulls in a year long camapign in college. The end of it was fun!! devil.gif
The Jake
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 20 2009, 12:07 AM) *
Way back in the days of first edition we were sent on a run to the arctic. The job was to investigate a former ally spirit, supposedly bound into a flesh-form homunculus, during a mana-spike in the 1790s.

Niiiiiiiiice. Very original. I like it. How long did it take until the PCs caught on to what it was you were 'really' looking for?

- J.
Chibu
The only thing similar to exploring a real world mystery that's come up in any of our campaigns is, in one of or missions we were stealing from info from a university (that my group all went to) and there's a ghost story there about a girl who (actually) died in a lab accident which burned the lab down. Anyway, She showed up as a Fire elemental who was, in fact, hiding out in that building. Luckily, she didn't really like the person who was working on the research, so we were left untoasted.
GreyBrother
QUOTE (The Jake @ May 20 2009, 02:45 AM) *
Niiiiiiiiice. Very original. I like it. How long did it take until the PCs caught on to what it was you were 'really' looking for?

Would you kindly explain, my Search-Fu fails me and i am not sure if this is a lovecraft Reference.
Lurker 0
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ May 19 2009, 11:26 PM) *
Would you kindly explain, my Search-Fu fails me and i am not sure if this is a lovecraft Reference.

Frankenstein's monster, dude. I'd mock you for not knowing that, but given how long it took me to figure it out, I don't think I really have any room to do that.
Jacko
The current campaign I'm involved in, essentially an epic game that's based on the assumption that H.P. Lovecraft wasn't a fiction author but a prophet, has provided for some really neat occult and mystery references drawn from history. For example, an item of major interest to the PC's is the skull of Nostradamus, currently in the possession of a mob boss who acquired it for the (very real) powers of foresight it grants. The previous owner killed himself after a slow, agonizing descent into madness.

Atlantis is another major concern for the group as raising it is something the PCs really want to stop. As far as we've been able to figure, Atlantis was sunk because of it's antipodal nature with R'lyeh and raising one would raise the other. It's been a really fun campaign with a good mix of horror, confusion and good ol' blasting and incorporating things from real world myths, religions and legends has been a big part of the fun.
GreyBrother
QUOTE (Lurker 0 @ May 20 2009, 07:42 AM) *
Frankenstein's monster, dude. I'd mock you for not knowing that, but given how long it took me to figure it out, I don't think I really have any room to do that.

Only saw a movie once, never read the book along with many classics, it's a shame, yes. But if i recap everything i SHOULD know i couldn't function normally.
Stahlseele
There was a German novel in which a rich guy got stuck on a Frankenstein BTL and thought himself to be Victor.
Killed a bunch of Shifters and harvested their Parts to make his Monster from. Monster got possessed by a Shadow Spirit or something.
One of my favourite Novels, because the Humor is good ^^
GreyBrother
That... horrible... novel... it was Shelley from Andre Wiesler. The only nice part were the protagonist and the racist shapeshifter.
*deep inhale* YMMV *exhale* YMMV *inhale* YMMV *exhale*
Stahlseele
Yes, that one.
I liked the Humor ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012