Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'd misplaced my Deus Ex CD and it caused me to freak out
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
Last night as I lay asleep in bed I reflected how Deus Ex is still the best game in the history of the world and nothing except for Fallout 3 really approached the Deus Ex experience. I got it into my head last night that this evening I definitely had to play Mutations, a pretty cool D&D dungeon crawl style Deus Ex mod someone made. (Mutations website: http://www.freewebs.com/dxmutations/ )

Well, it turned out that I had somehow misplaced my Deus Ex CD! I couldn't believe it. I checked my big CD stack like 7 times but nothing save for Deus Ex seemed to be missing. I tore through a closet and checked a laptop case three times.

That particular Deus Ex CD had went with me from New York State (where as a poor college student I'd originally ordered it used) to New Orleans and grad school, then to Micronesia while I was in the Peace Corps, and then to Las Vegas. Each time I travelled by plane I put it in my backpack or laptop case to keep it close. I played all sorts of mods over and over, which I really had loved, including Zodiac, Shifter, Hotel Carrone, Burden of Proof, The Cassandra Project, and RedSun 2020. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on UNATCO Born and haven't yet checked to see if The Nameless Mod has been released or not.

So I really, really emotionally freaked out when it became apparent that somehow this CD had been misplaced. I mean I really did.

So you know what I did? I went to amazon.com and ordered myself TWO copies of Deus Ex, one to use, and one for eternal archive purposes. One used copy for like a dollar, and a new copy of the GOTY version for like ten bucks.

One to use, and one to forever be enshrined.

Bwah hwah hwah, I hope my emotional silliness this evening has entertained you.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 21 2009, 05:08 AM) *
Last night as I lay asleep in bed I reflected how Deus Ex is still the best game in the history of the world and nothing except for Fallout 3 really approached the Deus Ex experience.
Amen!
deek
I hate it when that happens. I get some little idea in my head and then I have to go trying to find a copy of software, a piece of hardware, a book or journal I know I have somewhere in the house. I know it drive my wife crazy when I go looking through all drawers in the house, the closets, the garage...everything...

And, for me at least, the end result is I eventually find it and I'm done playing within a few minutes, even if it spanned hours or days to find said object and/or get it running.

My recent story pertains to Fallout (the first one). I knew I had a copy of it somewhere. I eventually found it in a box in my attic, went to play the game and it wouldn't install/run. Searched the internet and found there was an easy way to copy the main files over to a harddrive, install a patch and run it in DOS mode (or something). I finally got it running and played it for a few hours over a couple days...

My wife thought I was crazy. Hell, I think I might be crazy...
nezumi
Oh yes, I've got a stack of software I leave permanently installed. Fallout (1 usually, it's shorter), CivIV. I need to get a 'permanent' flight simulator. Surprisingly, I still haven't played Deus Ex frown.gif I know, I have no excuse at this point...

Hope you find your original disc, WR.
Fresno Bob
You can get Deus Ex off of Steam for like ten bucks I think.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Voorhees @ May 22 2009, 12:24 PM) *
You can get Deus Ex off of Steam for like ten bucks I think.

But can you run mods on that version?
Fresno Bob
I think theres a way to use mods on Steam. I used to do it for Counterstrike, so it stands to reason it would work for Deus Ex. But if you already have a copy of it, then its kind of a moot point.
Blade
Talking about Deus Ex, did someone try the recently released Nameless Mod?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Blade @ May 27 2009, 07:34 PM) *
Talking about Deus Ex, did someone try the recently released Nameless Mod?

Yes, I've been playing it, but only just gotten into it. For now, all I can say is that it seems to be huge, more challenging than the original Deus Ex, it has more functionalities and features than the original, and that it manages to be a good game on the one hand, but not be pretentious at all on the other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012