Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to Missions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
LurkerOutThere
Greetings good folks

My girl and I are signed up for some Missions at Origin and Gencon (boy does stuff sell out fast) i've never played missions before although I've had an interest in it for some time. She's played a couple of games of Shadowrun but it was a long time ago under 3RD edition. ANythign we need to know about the campaign as a whole or playing under fourth edition? I'm hoping to whet my appetite and then try and get some games run in the Omaha area as I know the local gaming club has a few long time shadowrun fans.

Addendum: Apologies in advance if I have posted this int he wrong place.
Aaron
No worries, you're in precisely the right place. Lemme find you a link ... here you go. Character creation rules and FAQ.

If you have any more questions, just post them here!
LurkerOutThere
Link seems broke but a bit of digging dug up the PDF FAQ so thank you. Now the "live fire" question. Are there any "archetypes" that see a lot of play, especially at conventions? I used to play a lot of deckers and even the occasional otaku but I havn't been as sold on the wireless system. While i realisze it is more "relistic" it killed a bit of the setting for me with the loss of the matrix as a real living part of the world. WIth that loss i'm trying to figure out what to play and wanted to find what the campaign might not see many of.
DireRadiant
Actually I'd say the Matrix is more integrated in 4th then previous editions. It's hard to be an effective team without someone working the Matrix end for a team.

As for the campaigns and games, just play what interests you the most, that's the most critical thing you can do to have fun.

Edit: The Missions aren't weighted towards certain archetypes being needed, so feel free to play what you like to try.
Ryu
Nothing to see. /jedi wave
paws2sky
One thing I can tell you from personal experience with Missions: Groups seems to spend a significant portion of the sessions doing legwork.

So, even if you're playing a more combat-oriented character, I recommend either being able to work the Matrix doing Data Searches or have a couple decent Contacts you can pump for info. That way, you're not sitting around for an hour or two doing nothing while the TM/hacker and the Face run the show.

-paws
TranKirsaKali
well it you are playing at Gen Con you may end up at a table with me and my husband. I have a wolf shaman and he has a street sam. Having a good face character is a good thing to do and they can also be very affective in battle too if you build them well. There is a really fun way to build a social adept face that is just marvelous. The technomancers can also be a lot of fun and useful in a group. I would suggest just getting a hold of the new books and really going over them before you two make your characters. Arsenal, and unwired are a must if you want to play a decker. Augmentations has some wonderful things for street sams and phs ads. Just build a character you will enjoy and be ready to have fun. There will be people playing that have been playing missions for years. And people that are brand new to it. But that is the beauty of Shadow Run. A new character can survive with older ones with a little effort. smile.gif
Wasabi
Friendly tip...
Edge helps everyone. If you aren't sure of what to get, err on the side of Edge.
An Edge of 5+ is not cheap but given a 4 hour game slot its several key rolls spiked with extra dice and open-ended sixes.

For a gunbunny its 5 dead targets.
For a face character its 1 successful negotiation for a higher payout for the run and 4 leftover for good con/dodge rolls
For a mage its 5 spirits that listen closely or 5 spells that are GONNA land. [or 5 spells you cast not killing you that would otherwise]
For a hacker/TM its 5 cybercombat rolls to not get get killed while pulling out paydata

Whatever the character, Edge helps. Its not critical but if you don't know what to get for a convention game its a solid first guess. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012