Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what the frag happened to the shadowrun website
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
warrior_allanon
hey what happened to the website www.shadowrunrpg.com I know we went to the 4th edition but what is the new website.
Carriage
http://www.shadowrun4.com/
Bull
shadowrunrpg.com was, I think, the FanPro site. WHen Catalyst picked up the license, I don't think they picked up the site too. So they switched to shadowrun4.com.
Mr. Man
I'm surprised that WizKids sold the shadowrunrpg.com and srrpg.com domains to FanPro instead of licensing them along with the rest of the property. These were the official domains going back to FASA days.

Recently it looks like FanPro either let them expire or sold them off to squatters.

Shame, really.
Adam
QUOTE (Mr. Man @ Jun 13 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Recently it looks like FanPro either let them expire or sold them off to squatters.

They let it expire; I had it on backorder but wasn't successful at snagging it. A variety of ill-choices over the years by various parties leading to a suboptimal situation, for sure.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 14 2009, 08:34 PM) *
They let it expire; I had it on backorder but wasn't successful at snagging it.

Since you didn't catch it (and aren't pissed off beyond words due to spending a lot of money trying) I imagine you used GoDaddy's service which is (unfortunately) pretty much a joke.

Assuming nothing's changed in the past couple of years: There are two companies that can dropcatch with any reliability and they are as expensive as they are shady (which is very). It's like something out of Shadowrun.

WizKids should file for WIPO arbitration. Trademark owners win 99% of the time and even if they lose there is no penalty.
Bull
The problem is, Wizkids doesn't really exist as anything more than a name on paper to hold the IPs, so Topps can collect rent on those properties. And Topps doesn't really have any motivation to try and get the address.

What would be nice is if Microsoft would hand over the Shadowrun.com site. Right now, I'm not able to even load up that page, so no clue whats up there.
Adam
QUOTE (Mr. Man @ Jun 15 2009, 01:56 AM) *
WizKids should file for WIPO arbitration. Trademark owners win 99% of the time and even if they lose there is no penalty.

Yup ... that's been suggested to them. It is, however, entirely up to them -- as we don't own the trademark, I don't think we have any recourse to do it ourselves.
Dumori
Doesn't holding the license give you some legal power.
Adam
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 16 2009, 03:27 AM) *
Doesn't holding the license give you some legal power.

No; the owner of the trademark has to act in these cases.
Method
Do you guys have any idea who owns "shadowrun.com" now-a-days? Haven't seen that URL active since FASA.
Bull
Microsoft had it for a long time. Dunno if they still do or what.
Freejack
As of today at least:

Registrant:
Microsoft Corporation
1 Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US

Domain name: SHADOWRUN.COM

Administrative Contact:
Administrator, Domain DOMAINS@MICROSOFT.COM
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
+1.4258828080
Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, MSN msnhst@microsoft.com
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
+1.4258828080

Microsoft still does.

Carl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012