Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Eddings died.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Synner667
For those that don't know, the best selling author David Eddings [creator of The Belgariad, and others] died on 5Jun2009.

It's a sad loss to the fantasy writing world.

He changed the way I viewed magic in fantasy literature and RPGs, and his Belgariad series ranks as my favourite fantasy books [along with jack Vance's Dying Earth books].

As per the BBC website...
Best-selling US writer David Eddings, who wrote a number of heavyweight fantasy novels, has died aged 77.
Inspired by the success of the Lord of the Rings, Eddings penned The Elenium series, which follwed the adventures of crooked-nosed knight Sir Sparhawk.
His wife Leigh, who died two years ago, played a pivotal role in the creation of his work.
Publisher Jane Johnson said Eddings was "a towering force of modern commercial fiction, a master of the epic".
She added that the arrival of a new manuscript from the author at the offices of HarperCollins was "a grand event".
"In the 90s, each one was guaranteed a number one position on the Sunday Times hardback bestseller list," said Ms Johnson.
Eddings' other works included The Redemption of Althalus, and series such as The Belgariad, The Malloreon and The Dreamers.
The author worked on secret US missile programmes until his first book, a contemporary adventure story, was published in 1973, after which he switched to fantasy literature.
He built his reputation on doorstep tomes, and once said: "I'm never going to be in danger of getting the Nobel Prize for literature."
"I'm a storyteller, not a prophet. I'm just interested in a good story," he added."
Wounded Ronin
Goddamn. I'd had no idea how old he was. I always just kind of took him for granted. As a little kid in 4th grade I read like 4 or 5 of his books.
Angelone
Oh man, he was my favorite author. This really sucks. I will have to reread his books in honor.
toturi
*sigh* David and Leigh Eddings. Their books were fun. I sure gonna miss their stories.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012