Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moved a month ago
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Freejack
We moved into a much larger house and I have two rooms to myself. One for general books (humor, science fiction, fiction, horror, etc) and one for my computer and gaming needs.

http://www.shadowrun.us/20090619

I took a pic from each edge of the gaming table to get a 360* look

http://www.shadowrun.us/20090621

I got my computer stuff set back up and set up a game of Arkham Horror.

Carl
Maelstrome
sweet setup.wish i had a room just for games.
Bob Lord of Evil
Nice setup, looks like you laid it out very nicely.

Got a few questions...

Your book shelving, is that pine board?

The brackets that you used, it looks like they are spaced out every other stud (so roughly every three feet)?
The reason I ask is that they look like they are dealing with that weight very well (and that is a LOT of weight).

What type of flooring did you go with?

What dimensions are your table surface?

How many people can comfortably fit in there?

Once I get my basement finished (and dealing with the humidity issues) I was thinking about building a custom game table. Painting the top white and then griding it with 1" squares, topping it with either plexiglass (with a beveled picture frame edging) or putting on an acrylic clear coat. I need to make a test piece to see if the acrylic clear coat will take dry erase markers without staining.

Also toying with the idea of putting in electrical and cat 5e outlets at each player station around the table so that we can setup a LAN with players laptops.
Freejack
QUOTE (Bob Lord of Evil @ Jun 22 2009, 03:46 AM) *
Nice setup, looks like you laid it out very nicely.

Got a few questions...

Your book shelving, is that pine board?

Yep. 10" and 12". I picked the straightest I could find. Even so, the top boards on either side are a little bowed. The books leveled it out though smile.gif

The brackets that you used, it looks like they are spaced out every other stud (so roughly every three feet)?

I'm using the double width shelf supports and brackets. I used a 1.5" coarse screw and drilled starting holes. The shelf supports are rated to 245lbs and 350 lbs.

Something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productIm...d77ac4e_400.jpg

I picked it at Home Depot because of the reported weight it would support smile.gif

The reason I ask is that they look like they are dealing with that weight very well (and that is a LOT of weight).

It's about 150 lbs for the top shelves and about 200 for the center game book shelves I'd estimate.

What type of flooring did you go with?

What dimensions are your table surface?

How many people can comfortably fit in there?

It's a bedroom so it has carpet right now. I probably won't change it, at least not at this time. Table is 6' x 5'. There's a lot of room for sitting. I'd expect 8 to 10 depending on the game. I did use it at the last place but there wasn't a lot of room in the room. We had 7 people with plenty of space at the table even if there wasn't so much floor space. We played a game of Talisman (the old one; see the shelf smile.gif ) back on Thanksgiving and there was plenty of space for all the expansions.

Once I get my basement finished (and dealing with the humidity issues) I was thinking about building a custom game table. Painting the top white and then griding it with 1" squares, topping it with either plexiglass (with a beveled picture frame edging) or putting on an acrylic clear coat. I need to make a test piece to see if the acrylic clear coat will take dry erase markers without staining.

This started off as just a project to see what it would take to make a table because I want to create a really specific gaming table but I've had lots of compliments on how simple it is and how it has lots of space for players. Most people play on kitchen tables which are generally narrow. This one is 5' wide so there's room for the board or map and room for gamer stuff (like sheets, books, etc). So I'll run with this for a bit and see how it plays out (so to speak smile.gif ).

Also toying with the idea of putting in electrical and cat 5e outlets at each player station around the table so that we can setup a LAN with players laptops.

With wireless, I'm not sure I need to put cat5 in. And I can certainly run power strips for anyone that uses one.

Carl
Doc Chaos
I hate you... I just cant decide if I hate you more for the great room and table, or your complete collection of the Arkham Horror boardgame...

j/k smile.gif I dont hate you, I envy you wink.gif Makes me wish for a lot more space *sigh*
pbangarth
QUOTE (Freejack @ Jun 21 2009, 06:27 PM) *
I took a pic from each edge of the gaming table to get a 360* look
Carl

Hmmm... a game left set up and no lock on the door. No kids yet, huh?
Freejack
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 22 2009, 06:02 PM) *
Hmmm... a game left set up and no lock on the door. No kids yet, huh?

biggrin.gif Kids are gone. Older daughter is 30 and a DBA in Portland Oregon (and a Unix Sysadmin to boot). The younger is 26 and married to an Army guy, last I heard in Virginia. My wife's daughter is 30 and living in Fairfax VA.

Kids aren't a problem. Wife's a problem biggrin.gif She mosaic's (see http://www.MosaicAndStainedGlass.org; it's her forums) and threatens to steal my Chessex dice for a project eek.gif

Carl
pbangarth
That's about the age of our kids too. And my wife is into stained glass! You think there's a correlation... gamer and stainer? wink.gif
Freejack
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 22 2009, 07:15 PM) *
That's about the age of our kids too. And my wife is into stained glass! You think there's a correlation... gamer and stainer? wink.gif

I wouldn't deny it biggrin.gif

Carl
Bob Lord of Evil
QUOTE (Freejack @ Jun 23 2009, 12:38 AM) *
Yep. 10" and 12". I picked the straightest I could find. Even so, the top boards on either side are a little bowed. The books leveled it out though smile.gif

I'm using the double width shelf supports and brackets. I used a 1.5" coarse screw and drilled starting holes. The shelf supports are rated to 245lbs and 350 lbs.

Something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productIm...d77ac4e_400.jpg

I picked it at Home Depot because of the reported weight it would support smile.gif

It's about 150 lbs for the top shelves and about 200 for the center game book shelves I'd estimate.

It's a bedroom so it has carpet right now. I probably won't change it, at least not at this time. Table is 6' x 5'. There's a lot of room for sitting. I'd expect 8 to 10 depending on the game. I did use it at the last place but there wasn't a lot of room in the room. We had 7 people with plenty of space at the table even if there wasn't so much floor space. We played a game of Talisman (the old one; see the shelf smile.gif ) back on Thanksgiving and there was plenty of space for all the expansions.

This started off as just a project to see what it would take to make a table because I want to create a really specific gaming table but I've had lots of compliments on how simple it is and how it has lots of space for players. Most people play on kitchen tables which are generally narrow. This one is 5' wide so there's room for the board or map and room for gamer stuff (like sheets, books, etc). So I'll run with this for a bit and see how it plays out (so to speak smile.gif ).

With wireless, I'm not sure I need to put cat5 in. And I can certainly run power strips for anyone that uses one.

Carl

The shelving looks good and certainly should handle the load. Always interested in finding out how other people are dealing with situations that I am facing.

I have run into gamers using older laptops without wireless...but my wife agrees with you. LOL

My comments weren't aimed at suggesting that you should do what I am thinking of just throwing out what I am pondering. biggrin.gif
Freejack
QUOTE (Bob Lord of Evil @ Jun 23 2009, 02:48 AM) *
The shelving looks good and certainly should handle the load. Always interested in finding out how other people are dealing with situations that I am facing.

I actually wanted to build a shelf system but my wife wanted me to check out these first. When we got the house, there was a similar set up in the family room. It held about 1,500 CDs on one shelf. I figured something that sturdy would probably hold my books reasonably well and so far it's working out. No gaps between the brackets and the wall.

I have run into gamers using older laptops without wireless...but my wife agrees with you. LOL

My comments weren't aimed at suggesting that you should do what I am thinking of just throwing out what I am pondering. biggrin.gif

No worries. I'm always on the lookout for ideas. For the Arkham Horror game, I was thinking of creating a character stand. Routed out square for the sheet, a couple of slots for monsters and cards, and a couple of depressions for money, hearts, and clues. 8 1/2" x 11" should fit quite well smile.gif

Carl
Freejack
And for the folks paying attention:

http://shadowrun.us/20090619/dscn1023x800.jpg

The game book shelf (fourth one down). The books from the left edge (plus a couple) all the way to just before the red books (CthulhuTech) is Shadowrun. A few French books at the left side. The taller ones in the middle are German ones (the shorter one next to All Flesh Must Be Eaten is the German Die 6. Welt book).

smile.gif

Carl
Shamrock
Holy crap that's a huge table!! eek.gif

I have all the Arkham Horror expansions and can barely fit ONE plus the main board and cards on my table!

Also, "Dare Not Disturb The Wizard!", lol. =D

Nice Setup!
Freejack
QUOTE (Shamrock @ Jun 24 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Holy crap that's a huge table!! eek.gif

I have all the Arkham Horror expansions and can barely fit ONE plus the main board and cards on my table!

A friend at work came up with a couple of good suggestions. I'd already planned on edging the tabletop, just to practice really but to make it look nicer. He used to install speakers and decks in cars and recommended covering the top with black felt eek.gif Put a layer of Kilz paint down first as a barrier to the wood (protect against spills), then a layer of rubber cement in 2 to 4" swathes. Staple the felt under the short edge, lay out the rubber cement then once the cement is tacky, roll on a short bit of felt. Continue until the other side is reached. Then staple it on the other side and on the sides. Finally, stain and protect the edging but give it a quarter inch lip to keep dice from rolling off the table. Screw the edging in, counter sink the screws, then cover the openings with wood caps.

I thought it was a great idea and have already started. I've puttied, sanded, and painted the top. I ordered a 6' x 6.5' piece of black felt last week. I need to find a place for rubber cement in bulk (really about a pint I guess), a brush, and a roller.

I'll post up when I'm done, perhaps as soon as this weekend biggrin.gif

Also, "Dare Not Disturb The Wizard!", lol. =D

Nice Setup!

The other side of the sign advertises Clipper, an old D:Base III compiler. Combined computer and gaming geekyness biggrin.gif

Thanks

Carl
Freejack
Update. I've painted the base and underside and yesterday I received my black felt. I put a base of Kilz paint down first last week then used some rubber cement. This should protect the wood from spills and it should be cleanable with carpet cleaner and a soft brush. The rubber cement should make it easier to remove the cloth when it wears out.

http://www.shadowrun.us/20090702/dscn1054x800.jpg

I'll be adding 3/4" of stained trim to the edge today or tomorrow. Just in time for Sunday's game biggrin.gif

http://www.shadowrun.us/20090702/dscn1055x800.jpg

Looks pretty good if you ask me biggrin.gif

Carl
DireRadiant
You need to start saving for one of these.

The Sultan

I've seen them at Origins and GenCon, and they are nice. Really nice. Incredible quality and finish which does not show up in their web site pics.

Don't ask how much they are though. smile.gif

hobgoblin
nuts, pure nuts biggrin.gif
Freejack
No way I'd buy one. $8,000 and up.

Carl
Chrysalis
I prefer a good dining table. If I am going to mess with that function then I would go with a table with adjustable legs, and removable draft table drawers. Or then a file folder box on rollers.
Freejack
I mentioned that up thread. With the big hex map, it was a bit tight with characters, dice, miniatures, and such. Since I was just messing around with a wood project, I hadn't planned on going much further than just trying some new technique. Since it seems to be working pretty well so far, I can put my other table plans on hold for a bit while I work on other projects around the house.

Carl
Bob Lord of Evil
The Sultan gaming table looks absolutely gorgeous. While some of the features are a little over the top it certainly has some elements that are very cool.

There are a couple of problems that I see with this table. The 2" drop downm, for wargaming there are a fair number of miniatures that are taller than that not to mention buildings but I can think of a couple of fixes. Not altogether sure about the cross bar supports between the legs either. I think that they would get badly worn in short order...a brass or stainless steel pipe would probably be better.

But then again...it certainly inspires one to ponder! biggrin.gif
pbangarth
Particularly with the layering of acrylics for marking on maps, I see a lot of uses for such a table for archaeologists. I think I will build one into the next grant proposal. grinbig.gif

Oh, and Freejack, your setup is way cool and far more realistically attainable. Good work, man.
Hocus Pocus
lucky sob. my "game room" has been co opted by the wife frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012