Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just finished KOTOR 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
Well, tonight I just powered through KOTOR 2. There were some cheesy aspects (implausible looking action in cutscenes, supposedly unique relics spawning randomly more than once on slain enemies), and towards the end of the game it felt like they forgot to allow for multiple solutions to levels (eg. hacking or sneaking instead of Conan-style lightsaber rage) but playing as a melee oriented character I certainly enjoyed it.

The game had more philosophical complexity than the previous KOTOR. I don't really feel like I'm spoiling anything if I say that right away one philosophical question the game poses is whether it is good or evil to rush to war in order to attempt to defend innocents. Role-playing out my character's take on that issue was emotionally interesting to me because I felt the question had a lot of parallels with NATO involvement or lack thereof in Bosnia and Rwanda, respectively. I felt it was real enough of an issue that I could get into role playing it in the game even when transplanted to a hypothetical imaginary universe.

Naturally these sorts of moral questions weren't part of the original 1970s Joseph Campbell Star Wars philosophical body which dealt more with mythology and proto-Jungian personal psychological actualization, but it was just fine for a game in my opinion.

I'd not gotten KOTOR 2 for a long time because I thought people had considered it to suck especially in comparison to all the praise that I recall KOTOR 1 getting. But, heck, KOTOR 2 is just fine aside from a few minor complaints and the fact that I wouldn't recommend playing anything other than a melee-oriented character.

KOTOR 2 finally lets you wield a Gamorrean war axe! If I didn't have so many other video games awaiting my attention (I finally got the Baldur's Gate boxed set, finally...) I'd play it again making a Robert E. Howard Conan ripoff main character. That way I'd get all the Dark Side points for being passionate and self-empowered but probably balance those out by "noble savage" actions when appropriate.
ravensmuse
The reason a lot of people say that it sucks is that the ending was completely neutered in order to get it out for the Christmas rush. We lost a lot of content in the process, but it sounds like you're playing it on the PC, so there's mods to add the stuff back in...

Basically, this should explain everything. (I should have thought to check wookiepedia first instead of googling for fifteen minutes)
Dumori
Melee isnt the only way in KOTOR2 you can kick ass with a gun if you power down that route. But light sabers are the key really.
Critias
While I agree the ending was disappointing...I'm one of those (rare?) gamers that thinks the trip there is the important part. If I have fun playing and it tells an awesome story, I don't mind a weak ending -- I much prefer it to a game that sucks and is miserable and frustrating, just to make me "earn" some cool movie at the end.

I still think KOTOR and KOTOR 2, ending woes or not, were two of the best PC games I've ever played.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 28 2009, 08:14 AM) *
Melee isnt the only way in KOTOR2 you can kick ass with a gun if you power down that route. But light sabers are the key really.

Yeah, I was thinking about the viability of having the main character use a Gamorrean axe the whole game but realized that the game would become intensely painful if you didn't ultimately utilize and twink out your lightsabers.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jun 28 2009, 07:49 AM) *
The reason a lot of people say that it sucks is that the ending was completely neutered in order to get it out for the Christmas rush. We lost a lot of content in the process, but it sounds like you're playing it on the PC, so there's mods to add the stuff back in...

Basically, this should explain everything. (I should have thought to check wookiepedia first instead of googling for fifteen minutes)

A lot of stuff was cut but I still enjoyed the game. There are far worse pieces of software out there to spend money on even with whatever problems KOTOR 2 had.
ravensmuse
*shrug* Just explaining why it's got a bad rep. I had a good time with it myself, though I think I had to return it just as I got to Korriban..
Wounded Ronin
I guess that good things never happen to a game that the parent company rushes out the doors to meet the Christmas deadline. You'd think they have learnt their lesson by now never to rush a game.

I'm still sad that they dropped Duke Nukem Forever.
ravensmuse
I think the whole gaming community is mourning the loss of Duke Nukem Forever. But remember, we were talking about whether or not it was even coming out way back in 1999. I mean, shit!

Then again, anyone else watch the demo video that one of the modelers leaked to the internet? It looked pretty cool...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jun 29 2009, 10:06 AM) *
I think the whole gaming community is mourning the loss of Duke Nukem Forever. But remember, we were talking about whether or not it was even coming out way back in 1999. I mean, shit!

Then again, anyone else watch the demo video that one of the modelers leaked to the internet? It looked pretty cool...

I feel like the 90s were a special time in games when they still had some of the innovativeness of the 80s but not yet enough of the mainstreamness to suck and be cotton candy-ish like today. (IMO Call of Duty 4 is kind of like cotton candy. It's fun to look at but probably makes you fat.) I play stuff left over from the 90s almost on principle.
Thanee
I also liked KotOR, but never played the 2nd part. I did play Bioware's latest RPG, Mass Effect, though, which is also great (if you can look over the somewhat repetitive side quests). Already looking forward to ME2 and their The Old Republic MMORPG. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Backgammon
Mass Effect > KOTOR, as good as KOTOR was.
Critias
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jun 30 2009, 09:39 PM) *
Mass Effect > KOTOR, as good as KOTOR was.

Mass Effect also came out a good five years after KOTOR with all kinds of new video gaming tech to play with, and I think it's hard to deny it was heavily influenced/inspired by it.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jun 29 2009, 04:06 PM) *

It was a faked gameplay video.

Pre-rendered movie made to look like they did a video capture of playing the game.

It was faked? I didn't know that, I just saw the video up on gamelife.

I will have to research this.
Dumori
Yeah they said it was faked when the scraped the game.
ravensmuse
Can you imagine that wiki has nothing? Huh.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jul 1 2009, 09:05 PM) *
Yeah they said it was faked when the scraped the game.

Why would they even admit to something like that in the first place?
ravensmuse
When I rechecked the blog I got the video from (Gamelife), the article says:

A nearly three-minute-long clip from the presumably never-to-be-released Duke Nukem Forever has emerged from former 3D Realms animator Bryan Brewer.

Released to the public as part of Brewer’s online portfolio, the clip takes us through a number of different parts of the game — a game that, though much derided, actually looks like a fun time here, and certainly a worthy heir to Duke Nukem 3D .

It’s just too bad that 3D Realms fell apart and probably doomed this game to languish as a minor historical footnote.
KarmaInferno
Ah, I thought this was the one bring discussed, which was later revealed by a disgruntled ex-programmer to be faked.

The more recent one doesn't look bad.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 16 2009, 03:59 PM) *
Ah, I thought this was the one bring discussed, which was later revealed by a disgruntled ex-programmer to be faked.

The more recent one doesn't look bad.

Wow, that looked really hardcore. Figures it was a fake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012