Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remaking Missions character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
LurkerOutThere
So this past origins i got to finally play some SRM and loved it. I play two slots back to back friday and another slot early Sunday.

However one thing that became abundantly clear to me is how bad the Hacker pregen i'd grabbed out of the box doesn't cut the mustard. After the first mod i at least changed him to fit a little bit more flavorwise fo the character from a backstory. Going from Ork to human and adjusting skills to represent his background. However one thing I became quickly aware of is the stock hacker only hacks, and even that they don't do very well. Heck he's got a smartgun equiped cybereye but no smartgun equiped gun if my math checks out. Now if i'd realized this sooner i might have complied with the normal rules and changed him out after one mod, but i did them almost back to back at a con and didn't really have a chance to do a full audit and character build. My fault for not studying things a bit before going.

I do like my character concept and what i think i'm going to do, and my girl friend is also considering doing the same is keeping the character concept and rebuilding them forfeiting the money and karma from our runs as a lesson learned tax and going from there. What we'd like to do however is preserve our contacts and affiliations as we're trying to preserve the characters themselves. Is there anyone we could see about permission to do this? Do we just drop an email to the campaign admin? Is the answer a flat no?

Thanks in advance.

Galen/Dr. Rattler
Aaron
(Answered off-forum.)
SaintHax
You should read the character's gear description: the gun he starts w/ comes w/ a Smart sytem. I think 3E had more "playable" Archetypes (only edition I would have really used one for a game). However, 4E isn't that bad. They just start w/ a much more "broad" set of attributes than I would as a player character (w/ SR4A coming out, I'm min-maxing even more!!!... stinking 5x cost.. wtf).

Historically, SRM has given a 30 days grace period. To speed up new players from holding back the game at a Con table, if you are unhappy w/ your character after you play him the first time, you have 30 days to make a new one (keep the name to keep it easy though) and transfer your karma and money to the new character you create.

In this campaing (SRM release 3.0), that rule isn't hard coded anywhere, but I've not met a GM that would not let you do it, nor a GM that would rather you take an hour at the table to create your first character before playing.

Aaron
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Jul 7 2009, 07:43 AM) *
In this campaing (SRM release 3.0), that rule isn't hard coded anywhere, but I've not met a GM that would not let you do it, nor a GM that would rather you take an hour at the table to create your first character before playing.

I've got my own thoughts on how this should work, but I don't get to make policy unilaterally. I've added this to the next Mission meeting agenda. We'll get back to you after Sunday. =i)
LurkerOutThere
Well yea the big problem is what's hard coded into the rules is one mod change, no exceptions. Now while i'm likely remaking the character anyway I would certainly appreciate a lighter policy if that comes out of the meeting.

Another thought i'd had is maybe taking turns amongst my group eating the denver missions. Remaking the character for denver and playing him there then bringing him over so i'll have a post denver character come gencon. I wasn't even aware the denver misisons were still legal/available.

On a final tangent the reason I don't like the pregens is in my mind their deliberately suboptimal in order to fit exactly into their roles. For example it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a cybered character not to take cyberware that makes them a better shadowrunner (wired reflexes, bone lacing etc). That and the hacker suffers for not having encephelon which is almost a no brainer for their class. Maybe that makes me a munchkin I dunno.
SaintHax
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 8 2009, 05:00 PM) *
Well yea the big problem is what's hard coded into the rules is one mod change, no exceptions. Now while i'm likely remaking the character anyway I would certainly appreciate a lighter policy if that comes out of the meeting.

Another thought i'd had is maybe taking turns amongst my group eating the denver missions. Remaking the character for denver and playing him there then bringing him over so i'll have a post denver character come gencon. I wasn't even aware the denver misisons were still legal/available.

On a final tangent the reason I don't like the pregens is in my mind their deliberately suboptimal in order to fit exactly into their roles. For example it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a cybered character not to take cyberware that makes them a better shadowrunner (wired reflexes, bone lacing etc). That and the hacker suffers for not having encephelon which is almost a no brainer for their class. Maybe that makes me a munchkin I dunno.

Since munchkin refers to non-adult gamers that build just for "uber'ness" and normally are devoid of character-- wanting to add cyber ware that helps, won't make you a munchkin. Now, if you used the forum alias of "Drizzt", "Raistlin", "DamienKnight", "Dodger", or other uber/non-original names... you'd start making the munchkin geiger counter move some wink.gif

Really though, the 3E Archtypes were pretty decent. Sad they went back to the less effiecent versions. It does make them handy for NPC's again though.
TranKirsaKali
I thought if you grabbed a pregen to play in your first mission that you got to take that karma you earned and the money to transfer over to a character you made for yourself after. Not that I have done this. I had my character ready to go before the mission started. (and yes thanks guys for sitting with me before the mission to do that)
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Jul 9 2009, 08:41 AM) *
Now, if you used the forum alias of "Drizzt", "Raistlin", "DamienKnight", "Dodger", or other uber/non-original names... you'd start making the munchkin geiger counter move some wink.gif

Well I used to use Fastjack as a email addy and forum handle but it was more as homage and refrence then anything, is it clicking yet?
SaintHax
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 9 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Well I used to use Fastjack as a email addy and forum handle but it was more as homage and refrence then anything, is it clicking yet?

That's a click smile.gif You've been saved by "used to", else we'd be reading a 4.5.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012