Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Let's Return to the Stuffer Shack
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
thearistocrat
The outskirts of Renton
12:30 AM; September, 2059

Any shopkeep with sense who lived in Renton closed his shop when the sun went down, the local stuffer shack happens to luckily be devoid of anyone with good sense. Frankly, if you’re managing a stuffer shack, sense probably never was your strong suit. You can’t be too hard on the staff though; where else can you go at 12:30 in the morning when you need to get a variety of non-nutrient “food?� The problem with these needs is that they hit you at the strangest times, for example, right now.

Map w/ Character Positions & The Stuffer Shack

Cord
Your Pocket Secretary blinks on.
Incoming Text Message from Jameson Conway
“Hey man how’s it going? One of my boys got a bit tied-up and couldn’t make a delivery for me. My cleaning business in Renton has run out of standard laundry detergent, and the delivery was going to fix that. If you can deliver 30 gallons of detergent to my cleaners in Renton by 4 AM, I’ll pay you double the cost of the detergent plus 750 nuyen. I got no idea where you could find detergent this late though, maybe a random stuffer shack or someone you know. Laters, Mate�

Christophe
Pixie called out from the bathroom. “God Gabe, you’re so gross. You don’t have any toilet paper in here.� He recoiled, had he really used the last of it? This kind of random, unlucky shit drek was always happening to Christophe, always at the worst time too. “Why don’t you be a sweetheart and go get some from the ‘Shack up the road?� More calling from the bathroom, he knew that fast action was the only thing that could save his reputation. He wasn’t going to let this be the thing that broke up his intensive Quebecois-Sino “cultural exchange.�

Silas
The overwhelming hunger of living a bare-bones street lifestyle, combined with an active suprathyroid gland, literally forces you off your feet and compels you to walk towards the nearest source of edibles. Some men might argue about the edibility of stuffers, but you are certainly not the man to do it, not right now at least. You remember a stuffer shack a block or two away. Hopefully, they are still open and in the mood to accept something other than nuyen in exchange for food.
Mister Juan
Christophe's Flat, Renton, 12:30:00 AM; September, 2059

Christophe took a few seconds to simply stare at the ceiling. Naked, his entire body was shining with a thin film of sweat, and his blue hair was sticking in every direction possible. He grunted and rolled to his side, eying the duck tapped alarm clock on the floor, next to the bare mattress. Well, it wasn't late yet. Odds are, he could make it to the Stuffer Shack, and back, in a single piece. But he was tired, burnt out, and really didn't feel like dragging himself through a September breeze, all the way to buy some toilet paper. Every time Pixie stayed over, she tired him enough to get an actual full night of sleep... something he had been counting on tonight. But now, there was just no way she'd let him sleep...

She yelled once more from the bathroom.

“Did you hear me?!�

Sitting in the bed, Christophe rubbed the back of his neck.

“Yea yea yea! I heard you Pix. I just need to...� he started, getting up and catching his foot in some of Pixie's clothes that littered the floor. The paper thin dry wall broke a bit when the decker's head came crashing on it. Cursing under his breath, the young decker rubbed his forehead.

“I'm getting some clothes on.�

Slipping into a pair of baggy cargo pants and a bright orange t-shirt, Christophe rummaged through all the clothes and print outs that littered the bedroom's floor. He finally found the small Raecor Sting holdout inside yesterday's hoodie. He shoved it unceremoniously into his back pocket. He knew the hood well enough, and enough people knew him, that a trip a few blocks over wouldn't be the death of him. He knew people got mugged at every hour of the day, but it had yet to happen to him. He hadn't even fired the holdout ever since he had bought it off Turn. Sure, he knew how to shoot it, but he had never found himself in a situation where it had been necessary. Christophe preferred to talk his way out of a situation, rather than cap someone. It just... wasn't his style. Killing people wasn't something really cool. At least, not in his mind.

On his way out the bedroom, Christophe made sure he had the rest of his usual pocket trinkets. Some cred, a long flat head screwdriver, a cheap plastic lighter, a small baggie with two hits of nova, and his music chip player. As he was closing the front door behind him, he could hear Pixie yell once more for him to hurry the fuck up.

The young decker was thankful for the fact the weather wasn't too bad outside. It was a little cold, but nothing like anything he had ever experienced back home. People here had no idea what “cold� was. Slipping his headphones on, new wave industrial music, from some Czech band, started to pound his brain.

thearistocrat
Reese “Shuko� Teranil
1:00 AM
A rap on the entrance to your shack in lower Renton, it appears to be one of the Shigeda (local yakuza clan) you have seen hanging around Sumiko’s hideout. “Hey Shuko or whatever you’re calling yourself now, we got some work for you. Why don’t you open the door and be a reasonable person? Whatever, I’ll write the instructions and stick them to your door.�

Serve the Shigeda and Serve yourself
Go to the Stuffer Shack in upper Renton, almost on the border with Bellvue. The owner of the shack will know what to do, pick-up the package(s) he gives you and take them to the Shigeda safehouse in the Redmond Barrens. Call the following number (555-YAKS) once you have the package and you will get directions to the safehouse. If you look in the package or receive it and fail to deliver, you will die. If you deliver, quickly, you will be adequately rewarded...

Shard
"What makes you think a reasonable person would open the door?," he thought to the voice on the other side. After a few minutes he had retrieved the message from the door, though 'taking it hostage at gunpoint' would have been a more accurate description.

Shuko read the message as he upended a carton of ChocoSoy milk, drained it, and tossed it into a bin with at least a dozen other empties. It had hardly been chilled, thanks to the minifridge in his shack that only kicked on a few minutes out of every hour, but you couldn't exactly drink the water here.

He considered what had been written. Serve the Shigeda and Serve yourself. Do well and live, perform poorly and die. There's a refreshing change. He disagreed with the harsh fearmongering and constant threat of death of the Yakuza and its subsidiaries. In his own humble opinion, anyone in this business should know that failure is death without having it jabbed in their face at every opportunity. What is not said can say as much as what is, but most gangers and punks did not understand that.

No time like the present to increase his funds and cred with the Shigeda. He pulled on some clothes that passed for clean and donned his holster and jacket. The collar was flicked up as he strolled through the rain toward the parking structure he kept his wheels in. After a lazy drive during which he decided on the finer points of tonights skin and hair cosmetics, he cruised into the Stuffer Shack's parking lot and stepped back into raindrops. Stuffer. Convenient, really. He could eat.
Mickle5125
Silas drags himself to his feet and sighs. It's times like this that I almost regret running away. But then I remember that bastard, and realize it was all worth it. Now give me foooood! he thinks to himself as he pads on down the street, sticking to the shadows out of hard-won habit and keeping an eye out for anyone who looks like they may have money.

As the hungry dwarf pads down the alley, his hands find their way to his deck of cards and begins shuffling it with practiced ease. Maybe the stuffer shack boyo'll be interested in making a little wager...
thearistocrat
2:00 AM
Renton rains, right on time

You arrive at the Stuffer Shack, possibly drenched in September rain depending on your gear and how you got here. The parking lot contains a half-dozen cars and vans, a pair of bikes and an electro-scoot, the lot looks tame enough. No one is hanging around outside in the rain; an advert begins playing through loud-speakers on top of the store.

It's the great equalizer.
It'll stop a troll the size
of a car as easily as the
smallest dwarf or the
thinnest elf. It ain't a
weapon, a spell, or even a
dragon-it's hunger. When
it's time to eat, you just
gotta get the stuffers into
your stomach before you
-go berserk.

It's pretty busy for this time of night, especially since torrential rain like the one you just ran through usually keeps normal people at home. The elf girl behind the counter looks like an angel; even the fluorescent lights can't dull her beauty. Her vacant stare indicates that she probably only has one asset and you've already noticed it.

Coming out of the storeroom is a dwarf wearing an apron and hauling a load of NutraSoy Energy Cakesâ„¢ (both kinds, the original Euro-Chocolate and the new Caribbean flavor). Talking non-stop (mainly repeating the phrases, "Stop that!", "Drop that!", "Put that down!" and "Get over here!") is an obese woman with a shopping cart and an equally obese child who seems to want one of everything the store offers.

In other words, everything is normal for a Stuffer Shack, even at 2 AM. There are other people shopping in the store, but you hardly notice them as your stomach growls again and you head for your gut rotter of choice.

Inside the Stuffer Shack

Key to the Stuffer Shack map
Aisle 1: Air filters, radon testers, water purifiers, DetoxyTM
products ("Clean Your Oxy ... Use Detoxy!") and other environmental
and antipollution products for the home.

Aisle 2: Automotive and bike supplies.

Aisle 3: Soaps, detergents, bug sprays, roach condos, rat
traps, big rat traps and so on.

Aisle 4: Small hardware, household goods, paints and sprays.

Aisle 5: Personal hygiene soaps, sprays, pads, toilet paper,
strips and spritzes, in regular or industrial strength.

Aisle 6: First aid supplies, along with a big sign reading: "Don't
Wait To Get Hit ... Stock Your Medkit!" There are also patent
medicines, vitamins and so forth.

Aisle 7: Pet foods and supplies.

Aisle 8: Small appliances, such as Zap-a-Nuke microwaves,
Toast-R-ovens, coffee makers and so on.

Aisle 9: On the left is a locked display of simchips and
simdisks, both audio and video, for purchase or rental. A big
display sign in the middle of the shelf hawks the latest "Beauty
and Her Beasts" simsense chip.

On the right are snacks to go with the vids-sodas,
soynuts, Slurpee-doos, Zap-corn, and a host of individually
wrapped treats.

Aisle 10: Use'N'Lose disposable plastic products, such as
clothing, tablecloths, containers, utensils and umbrellas.

Aisle 11: Baked goodies, such as cakes, doughnuts, twisters,
Sweeteez and Krak-L-Snaps. The NutraSoy Energy Cakesâ„¢ display
that the dwarf is building is located at the end of this aisle facing Area E.

Aisle 12: Breakfast foods, such as AlmostEgg, BacoSoy and
ready-to-eat cereals (including Maxiblast Sugar Bombs in three
popular flavors: Red, Green and Purple!).

Aisle 13: Soykafs, teas and herbal teas, Koko chocolate substitute
and beverage mixes.

Aisle 14: On the left, Aztex-mex cuisine, ranging from mild
("Wussy") to very spicy ("Meltdown"). Most products feature
the stepped-pyramid logo of Aztechnology on the label.

On the right, guaranteed organic health foods imported
directly from various Native American Nations and Elven
Wines from Tir Tairngire. Prices are very high. Perishables are in
Areas K and J.

Aisle 15: On the right, chips, dips, crackers, cookies, twitters,
choco-slurps and berry-bombers.

On the left are candies and other mega-carbohydrate-death
stuffers like Boostergum, SucroZoom, and Womp-Snappers.

Aisle 16: On the left are soypasta, sauces, ramen noodles, and
cup-a-soup products.

On the right are soups and stews, both freeze-dried mixes
and prepackaged heat-and-serves.

Aisle 17: On the right are plasti-packed fruit dishes and vegetables
that are gamma-ray treated to retard spoilage. There are small radiation
wrappers on the packaging.

Aisle 18: Flour, raw nutrisoy and flavor additives, krill-filler, textured
vegetable protein, dextro- and levo-sugars and sugar substitutes.

Area A: The checkout counter. Besides the elf woman working
here, there's a bar-code scanner, cash register terminal, credstik
receptor and various counter displays.

Area B: Everyone's favorite, the simsense arcade games are
located here. There are four different games: "Little Mutant Vik
Ninja Cyberboy! 3," "Orbital Ninja Death Commando 5," "The
All-New Ultimate Bike Race Ninja Street Duel," and "Street
Fighting Magical Ninja 8."

Each is 1 ¥ per minute of play-just slot your credstik and put on the 'trodes.

Area C: ?

Area D: This is a locked display of cheap, personal electronics
such as personal computers, cheap CD and chip players, data
readers and portable simsense rigs.

Area E: The dispenser bars for liquid and viscous products such
as Shmoozies, Snorkels, Shakeups, Soykaf, Fizzygoo and so on
are located here. It also features Ludivenko' Lovely SoyaSioppies
with the DoubleThick option.

Area F: The Cook-It-Yourself microwave, the rotating pizza display
machine, the Synthmeat "Hot Dog" dispenser and the SoyPatty
Yummy Burger Grill-O-Matic are located here. The table
in this section offers plates, cups, napkins, plastic knives and
plastic sporks.

Area G: ?

Area H: ?

Area J: The cold food items are stocked here. The microwaveable
foods are closest to Area F; the rest are "homemade sandwiches
and meals shipped in overnight," plus kafsoda, synthjuice,
and soymilk.

Area K: Frozen foods of all kinds, with frozen confections
near Aisles 1 and 2.

Area L: This area contains a tiny, dusty and yellowing display of
books and magazines in actual hardcopy format. There are also
two NewsFax printout terminals and a HoloQuik copy machine.
Chance359
Cord finished his beer before reading the message again. Well atleast it'll give me something to do tonight other than sit here and blow rent money. Since I dont have a car I'll have to hot foot it there and cab it over to the store to make it there by 4 am.

After walking inside that store, Cord grabs a cart and begins following the hanging signs to the cleaning products.
Shard
Shuko grabbed a fashionable hand basket on his way in and started to stock up on some essentials for his pad. On the menu tonight, a few boxes of assorted donuts, a couple cup-o-soups, a variety of frozen meals and burritos, and some cherrybombers. He grabbed one Wussy and one Meltdown style mega-rito, he couldn't be bothered with figuring out how hot all the ones in between were, he'd just double fist and meet in the middle. He decided he was hungry enough and zapped them there. While they cooked he grabbed a bucket o' drink sized container and proceeded to mix fizzygoo and snorkel into a blend of yum to wash down his azmex.

He straddled a bench at the table and watched the others while he chowed, but inconspicuously. He also kept an eye out for the owner of the place. It sure wasn't the cashier, the dwarf was more likely. His triple barreled swoozy straw made quick work of his slosh, and he sucked noisily at the bottom of the cup and let out a satisfied belch.

thearistocrat
Chance359
The dermal plating & cyber-eyes are what drew the obese child to you, but your innate twitch, even dampened by a reflex trigger, is what provoked the question. "Are you a shadowrunner? Come on mister, tell me about all the trolls and guns and KAMOOOM," the child gasps a bit with excitement. "Pleasssssssssse," droning out of his mouth in a way that only his mother would entertain.

This tall glass of water walks into shack and starts chatting up the cashier. At first she was just surprised by his dress if not a bit interested, but his street-jerk demeanor quickly kill any chance he had with the elf. It took a few minutes and subtle jabs, but he is starting to get the point and taking it poorly.

Shard
You watch the dwarf put the last Nutrasoy cake on top of the display pyramid. He looked at it a bit self-satisfied and begins to walk over to you. He notices the strange samurai looking fellow but doesn't seem to really care at the moment. "Hello friend, the cams are runnin' so leave your piece in your pants. Ya' hear me, boy?" He sits down and says in an appropriately low voice, "who do ye' serve?"
Chance359
Cord looks down at the boy, then up for his mom. Seeing her not keeping her eye on her child, he begins walking away, first to the end of the isle, then to the back of the store. Mom's gonna pull him back sooner or later. Wish I had a set of wolvers', the kid would either piss himself or faint with glee.
Shard
Shuko spreads his hands, palms out, in that age old gesture that said no violence would be done here, before wiping them on a handful of flimsy napkins. "If I had a weapon, I'd have no reason to be pointing at you or any of the patrons of your Shack, friend." He addressed the man as he had been addressed, respectfully, and also gave the dwarf the chance to correct his assumption of ownership. At this point, he doubted he'd be corrected.

"Serving myself at the moment," Shuko said with a cool grin. He was slipping into his zone, the zone where you had to play it cool and talk business, do it carefully. It was a dance. He drummed the fingers of one hand on the tabletop idly, the other sloshed remnants of his smoothie, both utterly visible and neutral. He likewise lowered his voice. "Names aren't really necessary. I'm here, you're here, we both comprehend. I'm just a guy doing a little shopping and picking up a special order. That in hand and I'll be on my way with my groceries. You ken it, my friend?" He slurped a bit more at the bottom of his drink, eyeing the dwarf with raised eyebrows.
Mister Juan
When the door slid aside to let him in, Christophe felt like he was stepping out of his shower. Even with his clothes treated to repel water... but what was going on outside wasn't regular “raining�. It was damn straight pouring buckets.

Pushing his hoodie down, the young decker shook his blue hair that were sticking flat to his head. As he walked, he could hear his shoes squeaking loudly on the smooth floor. Yawning enough to unhook his jaw, Christophe rubbed his eyes a bit as he started to drift down the aisles. He could hear his stomach moaning at the sight of ready to nuke and eat food... but he knew all too well how low on cash he was. He'd either need to steal something, and pawn it for cash, or involve himself in some con. Spotting where the toilet paper was stashed, the young decker made a bee line for it.

Why exactly were there so many different kinds of toilet paper? I mean, why did it need to be scented?

Guess some people felt the need to have their butts smelling like spring flowers or something.... Grabbing a pack at random and sticking it under his arms, Christophe started to slowly browse the aisle... keeping an eye out both for cameras... and for anything worth pocketing.

Mister Juan
Discreetly, all the while whistling softly to himself, Christophe's gaze started to slowly makes it way around the Stuffer Shack. He could clearly spot the 3 security cameras... which wasn't too bad for an establishment in this sort of neighborhood. Renton might have been a bit on the rundown side... but they were still close enough to Bellevue that most people felt safe. The young decker pretend to browse around some more, picking up a few items here and there and putting them back. It wasn't that he couldn't make his mind up. Fact of the matter was, Christophe knew exactly where he was heading. All he wanted was to blend in.

Giving one quick look around, making sure he was clear both of customers and employee, Christophe edged his way into aisle 6. He had been to enough Stuffers to know that although they didn't keep any “real� drugs in the first aid section, they kept some stuff that could be refined into a nice little buzz. Sure, it was nothing like an actual hit of Nova, or a sweet little chip from California; but if he could pocket some free cough syrup, it might give him something to cheer up about.
Mickle5125
Silas pauses in the Stuffer Shack's doorway, seemingly surprised to find this many people there. His eyes slowly study each of the people in the room boredly before dismissing them as not worth his time and moving on to the next. Finishing with his gaze lingering on the bimbo behind the cash register, he shrugs to himself and shuffles on towards the instant noodle aisle.
thearistocrat
The elf at the check-out counter screams. You look up and the samurai wanna-be has a katana in his hand with the business end at her throat. In the blink of an eye, the front door crashes open and three people rush in, all screaming at the top of their lungs.

One of them, a human who looks like he would weigh 46 kilograms if 40 kilograms of cement were attached to him, stops screaming and unloads his shotgun at the display behind the counter that contains the camera monitors. An electrical buzz filters through the shocked silence in the store (even the obese boy's mother shuts up for a second- before she starts screaming).

As for the other two, one dressed in a full-length synthfur armored coat & has greasy brown hair done up in a beehive of dirt and mud, feathers, twigs and small rocks. A bulging leather pouch hangs from his belt and he is festooned with fetishes. The other appears to be all muscle, though only a mage could tell if it's real, chemically created, or cybernetic.

The guy wielding the shotgun then shouts,
"I am the King of the sprawl and it's time to collect
taxes! Gimme everything you got, you drek-eatin' slime!"
Shard
Shuko's demeanor changed instantly at the sound of yelling, screaming, and shotgun blasts. He carefully and quietly disentangled himself from the bench of the table, crouched, and put his back to the divider between the chow area and the cashout lane. (he should be hidden from the cashier area by a bank of slurpee / soda dispensers or the like, I'm assumimg they're big 6-8' high, if not, he'll duckwalk and stay low).

In a smooth and deliberate motion, he reached into his armored jacket and drew his Manhunter from the concealed holster under his arm. He rested on his heels easily, gun held in both hands between his knees. He smiled and shrugged at the dwarf, gave a roll of the eyes as if to say "punks these days, what can ya do?"

Mentally, he was torn on which approach to take with this situation. He'd noticed a sam poser earlier, but he was unsure of how many intruders there were from his position. Instincts told him to go hard and fast, while the shotgunner was empty, or at least close to it. But if there were more than two or three...

"Are you fekkin crazay, omae?!" he shouted with mucho increduloso from his position. "You know who runs this joint, it's fekkin Skull-Fragger, that troll sam from the docks, man. Any nanosecond he's gonna come bustin out of the stock room with that Panther o' his and waste all your asses. Flat out paste, chums. I've seen it." He said the last almost regretful like. There's the setup, and now, the shot. Some heartfelt advice, one omae to another.

"I was you hardworkin louts, I'd excuse myself from the premises like five minutes ago and try that minimart down the street for an easier grab. Almost crashed it myself, earlier."
Shard
The sam flapped his lips, Shuko closed his eyes, and the drivel fuzzed out into a droning babble. His fingers flexed uneasily on the grip of his Colt and his head twitched a bit. When he opened his eyes, his vision was red and he was committed to action against this two-bit wannabe. He stepped out from behind the drink machines, leveling a pointed finger at the scumbag, gun in the other hand pointed at the ceiling. Some part of his brain registered the others, but his focus was absolute.

"Dog! You bring dishonor to yourself and others with your bullshit! [In Sperethiel]You will be cleansed, die!"

Employing all of the speed at his disposal, he levels the pistol and fires at the speed of thought.
Chance359
As soon as the sound of the shotgun blast reaches his ears, Cord prones out and kicks in his wires reaches for one his Needler's. After fast crawling to the end of the isle, he peaks around the corner and lobs a smoke grenade toward the front of the store.
Mickle5125
Silas, having been distracted by the smells of the cooking area, never quite made it to the instant noodle aisle before the chaos started, found himself squatting behind a counter-full of over-cooked hamburgers, floppy hotdogs, greasy pizza slices and paper plates, plastic knives, and the such.

Without poking his head over, Silas slaps around on the counter, grabbing for something that he can throw. His hand closes around a paper cup full of something and pulls it down. Sporks? Really? Who the hell even uses these anymore? Oh well. Better than nothing, I suppose...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012