Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dark Future
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Backgammon
I was randomly exploring the dark recesses of the Games Workshop website when I found this in the "out of print specialty games".

It's ridiculously over the top 80s and I can't image anyone needing that many rules to fucking race cars, but hey, some of the illustrations were neat.
Bull
Oh god! That's awesome! And the art feels so much like 1st Ed Shadowrun art it makes me cry...

I miss my old 80's Cyberpunk Shadowurn designs... frown.gif
Garwllwyd
Very old-school SR, I agree. Love the good ol' Mad Max vibes all over the place. Gives you some ideas for Urban Brawl and Combat Biking and all the 2070s X-Games.

Although the AD&D First Edition succubus peppered throughout was a bit...odd.
BlueMax
I played a bunch o Dark Future withe my original SR group. Thanks for the flashback.

*EDIT* I should add that one change that I notice between then and now is the ease of play. One could sit down and play dark future in 5 minutes. You don't see full size games with that low of a barrier to entry anymore.

BlueMax
Wounded Ronin
When I go back and research the fantasy products of the 80s I am always amazed by what a pervasive impact Mad Max: The Road Warrior seemed to have had on everything, even Japan.

Thanks for a link. You've helped me have a magical weekend.
Synner667
One of the few British cyberpunk-esqe games.

There are a trilogy of novels, too - very Chaos vs Good, as per most of the Games Workshop products.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Synner667 @ Jul 19 2009, 05:41 PM) *

There are a trilogy of novels, too - very Chaos vs Good, as per most of the Games Workshop products.

I suspect Games Workshop of being a front for Michael Moorcock's attempt at world domination.
AJCarrington
Thanks for this - forgot they had released it for free. Brings back a lot of good memories - even one of GW trying to be an innovative game company rotfl.gif .

AJC
hobgoblin
ok, that car looks like it could belong here:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/x-com-apocalypse
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Synner667 @ Jul 20 2009, 12:41 AM) *

another would be sla industries, no?

i still wonder what they where enjoying when they came up with that game...
InfinityzeN
SLA Industries is German unless I miss remember.

*EDIT*
My bad, it is Scottish.
Eugene
I just wish you could still get the minis. We play Car Wars every blue moon, and the cars would be perfect...
InfinityzeN
I wish you could get the tracks and such. I read through all the rules and it would be very easy to play with them as they are. Updating them a bit would only take a day or two.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Eugene @ Aug 4 2009, 10:55 AM) *
I just wish you could still get the minis. We play Car Wars every blue moon, and the cars would be perfect...

Get some matchbox cars, some bits from military model sets, spare tubes for rocket launchers, and have fun (green stuff works too).
AJCarrington
You could probably use the new minis from Aberrant (15mm scale IIRC) and I'm pretty sure there is a Yahoo group focused on modding toys cars into "cars wars" style minis for gaming.

AJC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012