Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Planescape] Blood-bound
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Chrysalis
This is something I had written which I came across in the depths of my hard-drive and improved it a bit over the past few days. Not really Shadowrun, but I thought I would post it anyways.

-Lauri

Dear friend,

The manuscript below was found in a curio shop by a compatriot of mine as we were investigating an unrelated matter of book theft. Since you are in motions for preparation with plunging into debate with the ever effacious Cestus the Scribe, and as some sums have changed hands in the offhand chance of you winning, I would wish to tip the scales by producing this manuscript for your perusal.

The origins of the manuscript, from what I understood from the shop owner, it belonged to an old tiefling who being down on his luck sold it to the shop owner for fifteen silver pieces. The manuscript receipt I have kept in case of any questions of its authenticity. Further secrets of its origin will demand more bibliomancy on your part.
I shall look forward to the debate.

Your trusted baatezu fiend,

Ambria

On the plane Exanclo there lie the ruins of a citadel, through caved in passage-ways, and perilous casements can one reach the dome of the hall of the keep. Here a mural, faded, cracked, and ichor spattered, tells the tale of the fair city that once stood here.

Ages before the demihuman races were dreamt of by their erstwhile gods, the celestials maintained their outpost here upon this plane. At first it was a simple frontier-post to guard against the on-going war between demon and devil. As both were less interested in the celestial as they were more interested in their own war, they left this plane alone. Commerce developed among the planewalkers, and countless ages of tribute, taxation, and trade grew this from a stockade, to a fort, to a castle, to a citadel. The gentle climate and the mountainous geography was well suited for celestials and they and many other good and pure beings prospered, building their villas and their many houses nestling amongst the lofty heights near to the citadel.

As the tanar'ri and the baatezu expanded, they brought their own mark of villainy with them to this plane. At first it was the few tanar'ri who would drift by through to other planes. As this became a steady trickle, these would be hunted down before they could cause hurt among their community. At times it became a sport among the guards at the citadel, to see how many could they kill. Some archon and aasimon households appalled by such behaviour took to hiding and ferrying these brave, but lost souls to the safety of other planes. As the expansion of demons and devils continued it was no longer sport but strife, households who once had helped the wayward tanar'ri became polarized. There were hidden arguments in households and forbidden children were masked to be wholesome and those horrific would be ferreted away to planes unknown.

The expansion became conquest, upon other celestial holds strife became open warfare. On Arcana, the baatezu had instigated a plane-wide rebellion against the celestials, from which the celestials ill advised and ill perceiving retreated from. The carnage that followed left a permanent stain of dishonour on all celestials, and the destruction of their temples and the pillage of their people's good will became the unbearable strain. What were once dissenting voices grew into one formidable wall of opposition. Exanclo shuddered and rent along lines of hate. What once was a pleasant citadel became a grim fortress, as more troops were called in. Citizens were called to defend their homes. Those households who were considered to be sources of taint were mocked at first. The resentment and anger grew each day as further news of loved ones lost reached their ears, until the hurt became so unbearable that those considered to be tainted were overthrown from their homes by their own neighbours.

As Exanclo grew only small expeditions were sent into the realms of the demons. As the forces of the celestials and their allies massed, these tentative explorations gave way to the sudden flash-flood of pure rage. The celestials attacked the Tanar'ri as a giant tidal wave sweeping away all that was loathsome from their vision. The tanar'ri were surprised and shocked as fortresses they thought long impregnable were razed and whole planes nearly overnight shifted into the hands of the heavenly host. Never before had they felt such a vengeance. At first there was the chaos of uncertainty, as the hero Wyrdan with his host arrayed in parade splendour knocked on the doors of the fortress of Gallowhill, demanding for Tarmanda to feel sharp spear and faithful sword. From that chaos only the sense of unbridled lust for warfare could be felt, the familial feud between the tanar'ri and the baatezu shifted its gaze from one and another to that of driving the celestials from their domain. What was once a heavenly host was scattered and driven back to Celestia, with only 3000 warriors surviving the combined onslaught.

Wyrdan harrowed by an on-rush of tanar'ri warriors, with courage and bravery overcame such difficulties and was able to at great cost to close some of the gates as they retreated back to Exanclo. There tired, battered, bruised, and gore spattered they held their ground against the horde of the tanar'ri so that not one of these fell monsters could touch their hallowed primal home. At times their only defence against the swell of their siege-makers were the walls of the ever piling dead. Weary and desperate, for Celestia was in disarray, Wyrdan commanded his clerics and paladins to pray for a miracle, but even the gods seem to spit on them as green ground was rent asunder and lightning mockingly danced upon the citadel. For three days neither side could approach the other for fear of the storm. On the third night a stranger heaved open the doors to the royal hall.

Who the stranger was is unsure, the face of him has been all but erased off the mural and no magic has been able to penetrate the veil of ages past, but he came in the skin of a black man, with cogs hanging from his girdle, his cloak stained in a multicolour hue. His head shaven, his eyes dark orbs. He spoke eloquently yet simply, he wondered why he had been called upon for they were not his servants. He looked at their grim faces, and the faces of those who had been left behind and who had not escaped. He praised them for their fortitude, and that he wished to speak with Wyrdan alone. Wyrdan wounded from many a cut drove himself to his feet, and said that nothing he would hear could be left from the ears of those who had been willing to spill so much blood for their defence.

The man looked Wyrdan in the eye and explained that the horde outside would continue to grow and there was nothing the defenders could do to curb Tarmanda's fury as the reward for Wyrdan's head was so great that even the gods took note of it. They could survive but only just. The storm would only last three more days before it would be spent and then they would all be lost. He warned he would need recompense and that recompense would be heavy. Wyrdan, desperate and gods forsaken, took this desperate offer. The man selected volunteers from among those of the inhabitants of Exanclo who had survived; he took all their prisoners, the dead, and the hall as his own. And bade them to strengthen their defences and prepare such equipment as he would need.

The open space under the dome of the keep is still filled with dark and wondrous devices. Benches with wicked implements stand next to tables long since collapsed, marks of what may have once been tomes and vials still litter under foot. In some places of the keep where a wondrous contraption once stood time seems to move sluggishly in others as a blur.

The mural displays the machine with needles and knives connected to glassen collectors, from among the warrens of brass pipes spigots emerge, each filling a vials drip by drip. Until the end of the storm, that of the third day, shrieks would be heard echoing from the citadel that made the tanar'ri smile. On the fourth day the storm had begun to abate and the man resolutely walked out, his robe blood spattered. There he gave each a ladle full from a cauldron. It filled each warrior with strength, old wounds re-knit themselves and an iron determination settled upon their shoulders. Leaving them to the fighting, he returned to the domed chamber. The defenders fought with unbridled courage against such insurmountable odds, leaving their enemy confused and bewildered long enough withstand another day. Wyrdan brimming with berserk rage was many a time pierced with wicked darts and hacked at with foul axes.

On the fifth day, the man brought them fresh troops from amongst those thought dead. Every complaint died on their lips as their gullet was warmed with the potion. For among their new defenders were what had once been the slain enemy. Far too quick were they in giving him Wyrdan to mend even though the potion could not scar these wounds. The battle ran unabated. Confusion set in amongst the ranks as demons fought demon. There was no way of accounting who the actual tanar'ri were and which among them were the defenders newly awakened allies. The tanar'ri army's fury turned against itself.

A forge can still be found in one corner of the keep, discarded and broken armour and weapons had been strewn about, some still glint with an odd hue.

On the sixth day the man brought them armour, that neither sword could hue nor axe pierce. Those still alive had begun to hunger for blood. Desperation was superseded by brutality. What little reason was left died as they saw Wyrdan come from the dome hale and whole, his rubious armour gleaming. Those left, the children, the mothers and the elderly were herded back into the chamber to be turned into fresh creations. The man returned to the hall, closing the doors behind. The defenders charged into the ranks of the tanar'ri filled with surety of their conviction, they pierced the lines of their enemy fighting to the generals of the army, and on that day they tasted the blood of others and slew their first demon-general, capturing his entourage.

A gash in time reveals a space where the bodies that make the machine can still be seen. A young celestial, her bodice ripped hangs in the air in horror, her hair dangling in every which way as her womb has withered away. A dragon long dead is pierced with many a pipe, occasionally a whimper of smoke can be seen as the strange concoctions build up. A tanar’ri his body a withered husk, his brain laid open, with nails sticking out of his cortex, as he continuously dips his head as if to eat.

On the seventh day, the man returned from the hall with fresh warriors, all plated and corseleted. What was once demon and celestial had become ill-defined, even before the rest had donned new armour and quaffed deeply of the potion, their visages hate-filled. Among the captured entourage of the tanar’ri generals the man spied and picked a succubus. Taking out his knife, he carved her flesh in the patterns of her veins. The smell of freshly dripping blood became all consuming as they tore her and the rest of the entourage into bloody spatter. Satisfied with such brutality, he gave them a key to open a gate. Those brave among this new host, he kissed on their plated breasts, and whispered untold secrets into their ears. He looked on as they carved their way through the tanar'ri with ever shortening shadows towards their ever deepening salvation.

The Blood-War had thus begat its own off-spring. The blood-bound.
Chrysalis
The many kinds of Blood Bound
The greatest and of these are the Battle Taskers, the warlords of the armies of the Blood Bound. Often millennia old, their bodies become the mockeries of the shapes they once held. They embody the ferocious will to be able to maintain their standing over the seething, hungering armies. They are often intelligent than a mortal could ever be, schooled in the way of war and the spell. They can boast to have feasted on the blood of gods. As most of the battle Taskers were Celestials or Fiends it is considered that they were once an off-shoot from the Blood War, as each reached for mutual depravity.

The feet shuffled, the axes beat against the shields. Defiant did the celestial confront them with his flame-hewn sword, his golden hair swirling in the light spring breeze. "Do you hear me you warmongerer! Do you hear my cry, I have no wish to battle you all, but if I must, I shall smite you until my love is returned to me in safety."

A great hush followed with these words, as the hosts, one fair one foul took stock of each other. A slow drumbeat began from the back of the blood-bound army, growing in tempo until the front-line continued with their stomping and clanging. And as soon as it had started a hush fell across the army yet again.

A dark cloaked figure walked stoutly and assuredly towards the front of the army, each soldier paying obeisance to such power, alongside came a hunched creature many a sword and spear sticking out of its body, it crawled maggot-like eagerly following along as if it were an eager pet nipping at the heels of his master.

From deep within the rotted and soiled hood comes a deep booming voice, "you come to eve of battle with only, words? I do not think your troop will give me or my men much pleasure." "The pleasure is not for your taking, foul slave of chaos!� the celestial shouted back, "give me my love back, or else you will soon decorate my sword." "Strong words for a strong man, come let us see if you will still have your love-slave, for a sweet man such as yours will go fonder by the very presence it lacks." Pulling on a chain hidden behind, there comes a whimper as a girl, wild skirted and scared, fights against being drug, finally landing at the feet of the cloaked figure, cut and bruised. A wail of pure dread escapes her lips upon seeing her true love.

Stooping down, harshly fondling her hair and face, "what a pretty thing to fall in love with. I am sure it gave you plenty of sport, did it not. Oh, do not give me such a delightfully hated gaze, she has not been misused. Do you not believe in the warrior code, do you think that with your god by your side you shall prevail against me in a duel, in heated battle..." The cloak is ripped asunder, as she lifts the girl to her own face "...against your own sister?"

"What foul mind trickery is this, you who are no more worthy to call upon my dear departed sister's name, than that of being the camp harlot. It is my last and final call, leave her be, or by all that is pure and true I will smite thee". His sword changed hue and grew more crackling as a bright diadem encircled his bright locks. His men became more confident.

All this time, she had been savouring the touch of her victim's flesh, each breath stealing that of her victim's "Do not worry, brother, I will save you from your desires. Fulcrum! Knife!" The creature shambled closer and she picked a knife, she shore off the maiden's face, her spirit screaming, her body lacerating into bloody pieces as the soul is sucked down her mouthplate. The face still dripping, she presses it against her own steel-clad face.

The celestial looked on in horror as the sky seemed to dim, watching his loves life being so horribly drained out by that fiend. Tears dim the eyes for a moment, and then he sees her whole again, the chains dangling and dropping from her hand. Not knowing himself in a haze he rushes towards her, his troop following, she rushes out to meet him open armed, as both foes join each other in battle. His lips meet hers in a lingering kiss. A sting is all he knows as he looks up to find his dagger buried hilt deep in his spurting neck. "Come brother let me lead you out of the pain, your blood desires it, your flesh demands it."

Pulchra, like most battle-taskers was once a Celestial. Reknown for her beauty, she became an object for a baatezu, envious of her piety, an item to corrupt. She became conceited and haughty as honey sweetened poison was dripped into her ear bu untold agents. Eventually her fall to love a mortal was complete, and in her love she gave away it all to be with her true prince. Arrogance was her ultimate downfall as she treated those with hidden power with contempt. Bruising and hurting those with a brash and angry tongue, until finally the castle was laid siege to by the blood-bound. Her body was offered as tribute, for them to do as they would wish.

Her wings were rent, they forced to crawl along the earth with broken limbs, as they slowly fed her prince to her. Until finally her only sustenance was the potion that they forced her to drink. As a final cruel act of torture, her mind long lost, was for her to be encased in the raiment of the blood-bound, she became lost under the weight of what had become of her. There was now no sense of gender or propriety, the last glimmer of the eye forever shut in steel.

For untold millennia as a warrior did 'he' fight in the ranks of the blod-bound army, until lust became dim, and in a moment of realization he remembered who was she. The powers of the Celestial, long thought lost even by her former self reawoke, more terrible than ever before. She hid her self behind the blazon of the soldier, and as soldier did he rise. Listening to the whispers during the long marches, during the ensuring millenia as she rose from a soldier of the second host to that of a Talon did she finally piece together with magic and deceit him who was behind the lies that caused her downfall. By this time he had risen to become the commander of the Talons, the Pulchra of old had died a long time and what were once impossible closes of thought, were wide concords. No longer bound in the mind, by anything, it was simple to grasp the power in the finger tips of the commander of the Talon. Those who had once manipulated her into her downfall would now play by her tune, as a blood-bound, he manipulated their desires and wants to kill his lord, the battle-tasker of the army, and for him to ascend to the position of battle-tasker. His masters were pleased with his treatchery, and as a sign of largesse bade him to enter their city. Enter they did, but not as allies as they thought, but as the serpent. She enjoys the memory of her army laying siege to the undefended city, clawing its feeble defences away until it fell. The army being replenished with new recruits and slaves, those who did not turn coat were eagerly feasted upon, as the city flowed and dripped like an abatoir. No longer necessary t hide behind the mask of subservience, she supped that night on her former downtrodder.

With her blood tipped, razor sharp wings, she commands the battlefield with a detached, beauteous, blood-spattered face. Her commitatus, filled with flying creatures are former lovers, she has enjoyed into the blood-bound, each trying out do the other for a heart she no longer possesses.

Second in ascension are the Commitatus, shock troops and body-guards of the Battle Taskers. Often ferocious, they mix loyalty with ambition, with bloodlust. They often enjoy temptations of the body to fill for their lust for blood.

Malburs rode his charge through the broken gate of the castle, its battlements still flying the colours of the conquered foes. His mount riding eagerly past the dead corpses to the inner court-yard. Throwing down his reigns to a blood-bound retainer Malburs quickly dismounted. The nightmare whimpered and rolled its eyes as the blood-bound looked at the stallion, cleaning its blade with a shredded piece of skin from its hidden face. The brand mark on it burning as it tried to fight out of the retainer's clutches.

"What news lieutenant?� he asked the blood-bound commander as he walked briskly forward. "My Lord, the keep has fallen, and we are clearing up the lower levels. However, the wizard's tower is still secure. A band of adventurers, are holding off my soldiers."

Malburs briskly walked in the direction where the fighting could still be heard, watching with satisfaction as bodies are being piled up into large stacks and ferried off in carts. Many blood-bound were fattened and drunk with blood and success. "Lieutenant, two troops should be enough", he said with distaste looking at the army of his lord as they are too eager with victory, "and call off your men, there is killing to be done."

Malburs had fought during his existence as a blood-bound in a thousand battles over the uncounted centuries. No small wizard's hovel would stop him.

The lieutenant broke file with Malburs, commanding his troops back to military decency. Quickly two troops formed a throng around him, the sergeants leading and whipping their men into order. A helmet filled with warm blood was offered to Malburs. Discarding his own helmet he drank deeply of the proferred helm, the blood trickling down from his thin lips and withered neck.

The tower was tall, octagonal, and made from solid masonry. At the base of the keep they were at least six feet thick. The small door sparked with each strike of the battering ram as a group of engineers ignored the lightning curling around their feet.

Walking assuredly forward he órdered them to drop the battering ram. His rubious gauntlet raised into a fist, his punch thundering around the tower. Lightning danced across those close by, burning many of the blood-bound into blackened stumps. Malburs blackened but resolute walked through the door well rent off its many hinges.

Stooping down, he stepped through the shattered door, to nimbly side-step as a paladin her sword blindly slashing sailed past where he once stood. Malburs' stabbed her quickly through her cuirass in the back, taking the fool completely by surprise. Her tunic running crimson she grunted from the pain, and turned around.

A tiefling rogue leaping down tries to grapple him, to only be punched in the wall, which with a sharp angry sound changed and turned into many gripping stone arms, dragging the tiefling to become one with rock and mortar.

The cleric began to chant in an eldritch tongue, the kind Malburs had once read, but never spoken, he stood and could not approach further, every step making his body contort in the deepest of pains. The cleric sighed in relief, sweat beading down his fat brow. "Release my friends, before I send you down to the darkest abyss from which you rose" he said, his voice gaining probably its only strength of that day. Malburs dropped down to his knees, his feet struggling for purchase on the floor. With a flick of his hand the wall became as it once was, the tiefling released from its clutches, and the paladin, the pain much abated rose back to her feet. "Release me" Malburs commanded, his flaccid face for once grimacing. "I think not. Justine, take him out, so we can escape." the cleric spoke. Raising her sword above the prone Malburs Justine swung her swords down to Malburs' head.

"What amusing little children you are" Malburs whispered into the Cleric's ear, but I think you should have left your wooden swords at home." "But, but" the cleric cried, "I intoned that incantation perfectly, you should not be able to even approach me, I saw you on the ground". "I pretended" Malburs whispered as he twisted the cleric's head. He could play with them all night, but his lord would soon be calling on him, a flick of his wrist and they were flung through the doorway to the two troops stationed outside. Their screams were quick and high-pitched.

The Commitatus ride into battle upon steeds, some choose to have blood-bound steeds, others prefer that of living flesh squeezed between their loins. Others prefer more ostentatious modes of transport, such as the nightmare Malburs rides.

Malburs was once a mercenary, one of the many bright-eyed who joined, and came to like the killing fields of the Blood War. He slowly rose up the ranks becoming a lieutenant of a yugoloth-driven mercenary company. He learned much from the yugoloth, how war should be waged, and began to understand how a single unit could be used to cause either one or the other to fall. He slowly learned the signals of their mercenary companions, and how each battle could be weighted for the advantage or disadvantage of the other party.

Slowly warfare became a tedium, and even though he was a fearsome warrior, Malburs always had the fear of loosing his prime. For many years of faithful service, he was allowed to join one of the few, but many iron towers, where in he could learn sorcery and the knowledge of that which had been hidden. He learned to stop time, for a while, and for him to age ever slowly. But that was not enough. Immortality is not a death in 300 years or 400 years as a doddering old man, whose mind had long been lost. No, there had to be another way. He stole and studied forbidden tombs that his teachers used. In there he found his salvation, the blood-bound. Here was a race born of other race and bred for only destruction.

He studied long and once he was ready, instead of taking the yoke of being a spy in disguise for the many masters that the Yugoloth pretended to serve, he stole away in the grey wastes, until he came across the boot marks of the blood-bound. These he tracked for many a day, finally reaching them.

He willingly took on the mantle of the blood-bound. His mind never broken the same way most slaves were. Even though at times he was consumed by lust, he could always hold the bridle of it, he channelled that need into that of jokes, albeit twisted amusements. Toying with his enemy as it runs hither and thither is of the greater fun than that of simply killing them. Where is the fun if you cannot look at the face of an enemy, as their dying gaze realizes that the shoe is on the other foot and the pun is upon them.

The Talons stand alone. Tasked by their masters to go where none else dear flee, they are responsible for harrowing the enemy and assisting their earth bound brethren wherever they can. Often drawn from the ranks of captured foes, or for showing unnatural ferocity among their ranks. They are truly a ferocious sight.

The keeping of the watch fire had been passed down from generation to generation, every father would pass on down to their son, the shield of the eye, and the sword of the Watchman. Every son was responsible for the maintaining of a fire, so that when its sister watch lights would be lit this one too would carry the message forward, calling the troops to amass at the capitol and spread forth to whatever danger had woken up the slumbering empire.

Augustus, the third flame keeper, had just drifted off to sleep. His small thatched hut warm in the evening fire, his mouth still tasting the roast meat and corn he had eaten. Him stretched under his sheepskin blanket, dreaming of a fair young lass he had met at the May fair, not three weeks ago.

Something was wrong, the wind chimes of hollow wood and bone outside clattered and jingled in a way he had never before heard. Rousing himself from sleep, and wrapped in sheepskin, he padded along the thrushes to the small wooden door leading out. Outside the wind howled as it reached down upon the mountain top, its spittle spattering the walls. Outside the iron basket still stood with its thatched wood secured under an oiled tarp.

While his eyes did not see anything, the sum of his knowledge of living on the mountain-top told him something was far more wrong. The inky blackness of the outside was colder, darker, and wetter than before. Before he knew what he was doing, he drew himself back into the house, just as that blackness solidified, the front part where he was standing fell in, scattering dust, dried lichen, pots and pans and shelves, as the whole house shuddered for a moment and stood very still. The fire, that had become embers, was now more a peril as straw and wood had been added to it by the crash.

Scrambling he found the wooden chest with sword and shield, dense smoke now pouring in. There was another crash as the house was further rent, with smoke now finding a quick exit, as further straw from the roof was added to an already well kindled fire. Through smoke streaked eyes, he watched as a long head trailed in, its skin metallic in the fire-light. Perhaps this was a dragon he thought, as his father used to tell stories of them. The fire grew with new air coming in. An unblinking orb fixed its gaze on Augustus, sending a cold chill through his spine. It screamed as if metal was twisted, the head with its razor sharp teeth lunging for its prey.

Outside, Katrin waited in the rain, drawing her cloak tighter, as the dragon feeded. It was at these times, that she could feel herself. Her fingers grasping the stem of her axe, the pangs of hunger and cold. As soon as it would be satisfied, her mind would be willed with the blood-lust yet again. There was no escape, it could just as easily kill her now, but that would mean it would no longer be in control. But she didn't want to die. The house groaned and shook, as the beast inside lunged and snapped, the burning house being replaced by another light in the distance. Even though the watch fire had not been lit they had done their task.

The mind, even though it was sated, was still with her, the stain that would not wash away. She felt its satisfaction seeping into her mind, it vomited something that could have once been cooked, but now was ichor spattered and chewed. "Eat", it commanded. Kicking the meat with her foot, she said a spark of insolence, "I am not hungry." "EAT!� it demanded, the screech both in sound and mind ringing through-out her brain case. With a heavy eye, she picked up with gauntleted hands, the thing in front of her, and buried her face in its once roasted flesh.

A dragon mother once made home in the wilds of a mountain cave, her dragon eggs nestled in among the jewels and gold. Many a knight errant and wandering paladins had tried to come and slay her, most adding their treasure to her own. Thieves would sometimes come, but those could only steal a fraction of her wealth, and sometimes they would simply be crushed as she shifted and rolled over.

The one day, an elf, or something that might have once been elf came into her lair. At first she thought it was simply come to steal her treasure, but that was not quite true. She thought maybe she had come to slay her like so many had come before, but that was inexact. She decided to slay the elf to simply remove the intruder from her home. A breath that ran gold like water, made the elf untouched. As the elf drew near, ignoring the cold, there was the smell of undeath about... her. Perhaps it was a she, although it had long been barren. There was something odd. Odd tendrils of thought entered her mind, seized it and shook it. Recoiling with a roar she smashed the elf against the wall.

Something was wrong, and then she realized that there were other creatures in there. The elf, a face beauteous, and as false, held up what they had taken. One of her eggs. The elf was in her mind, offering her a deal. Either come with her or she would smash her eggs. Like she would with this one. As it fell from her hand, so smooth, and precious it tumbled and broke.

One of the elf’s minions gave the elf another, and a look was enough for her to acquiesce. She left the cave, her eggs behind, her mind slowly being stripped bare. The mind though relaxed and intruded upon by this creature was not broken. As the elf was blood-bound so did she become, one's wants and desires becoming the others, until finally there could be very little to know where one's memories started and the others began.

They fought, bled, and fed together, becoming one. Each knowledge and skills mingling together. Finally the elf died battle, but her mind and magic still lived on in the dragon. These were the intangible instincts that made her find a girl who would become her rider. She would feed and preen her, as if she were a child. Most would go insane as her mind invaded theirs, becoming willing puppets to her needs.

The Blood-letters are the surgeons of the blood-bound, they create the potion, maintain its purity, they are responsible to maintain the ranks of the blood-bound. They are ultimately responsible for the health of the slaves. Making sure that the blood never stops flowing to the blood-bound.

5th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

Reveille at dawn, inspection of the troops by lieutenant Grast, and a physical check-up of each of them.

I spent most of my day in the infirmary treating to the wounded. I am confidant with our supplies, even though communication for resupply is very difficult. Nonetheless, if we maintain our consumption at this level we should be able to withstand comfortably for three weeks, with an additional weeks worth of supplies as surplus, that of course depending on if we have to fall back to secondary positions.

The siege has been lasting for about four days now. The temple we are in is massive, and that means we have been constantly having trouble maintaining our outer defences. As there is no-one else I have taken it upon myself to repair our defences. At the moment we are situated in the middle of the temple with corridors and passageways going on for miles on end. Grast has made me in charge of over-all defence of the temple, and I have been doing my best, fortifying individual rooms, blocking off tunnels and the secret doors we know of. I am confident that we can canalize any attack into many of the cul-de-sacs and traps built by us or by the original temple builders.

'Lith is an unpleasant officer. Like most of those who collect information for the battle-tasker, this one is far too... adept at his work. I also, dislike him for what he was, an illithid. I do not care how much he is a blood-bound; there is nonetheless, a cold chill that creeps with him when he walks.

6th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

The free elements in the temple are trying to get the upper hand of us. Luckily our numbers are larger, and our soldiers’ training is far better than that of our enemy. The cultists still have to rally and infiltrate through the outside, and move through the many passageways; luckily we have a better understanding of the lay-out than they ever will. Nonetheless, I feel uncomfortable by the way they keep probing us.

The prisoners are becoming insolent. Today, while I was giving them an inspection, feeding them, and giving them water. Despite my benevolence one tried to shank me. I removed her arm, and have forbidden the prisoners rations for two days to prevent further such insurrection.

More troops have been pulled off front-line duty as Grast continues digging in the catacombs. I do not know what it is that they are digging for, and my orders are not to ask. Nonetheless, it does beg to be answered.

On a positive note, further exploration has revealed the existence of a secret wine cellar near the officers’ quarters. It is filled from floor to ceiling with consecrated wine, some of which I know to be quite excellent. We have been busy "emptying" the room, so that we can get our card table down and play a few hands of wist.

7th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

We were playing wist in the recently cleared cellar. 'Lith had been loosing steadily, although he was still in the lead by a few pins, we were getting steadily drunk, and the cards were becoming a bit blurry, when the alarm was raised.

They came at us from all sides in large numbers. Our advance troops withdrew as we grabbed pikes and spears, and prepared our defences. The fighting was heavy and brutal. All that time we had spent fortifying our positions was paying off as we could canalize them down into our killing fields. We burnt, flayed, and stabbed those at the front. We had to rush off and prevent a secondary source from entering through the many secret doors. Most of which we had blocked, but there was always the possibility of one being unguarded, as they kept moving from sealed door to sealed door, we could hear their howling and yelping. Grast set a quick trap for them. In the end, there was three hundred dead of them, and a dozen prisoners who could be saved. We had lost ten good soldiers, and the rest had nothing that a second helping of potion could not cure.

8th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

The soldiers have broken into a passageway under the catacombs. There are tunnels underneath, and most seem to be even larger than some than the rooms above. I have been asked to make an evaluation on the material that has been found there tomorrow.

We have withdrawn to our secondary lines of defence. While I can bring aid more quickly and Grast can command more adeptly, there nonetheless is raised the question of whether we should abandon our outer defences so lightly. The decision though rests with the lieutenant, and nothing so far has conflicted with my duties so I shall hold a civil tongue in my head. For now.

9th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

Underneath the catacombs is a strange device. I am hesitant to write as my diary may be captured, but excitement is getting the better of me, and that has not happened in a very long time. By far the most interesting of the devices is a cauldron, it is roughly twenty feet high and just as wide, and it is made from a silvery metal. It has many runes carved on its surface that I have yet to decipher. The greatest oddity though is not that it is filled with liquid but that that there are metal cubes in the liquid suspended by chains off the ceiling.

I have set up lab in one of the many alchemical rooms here. Most of the equipment is far too old to be used reliably, and cleaning it would take me at least a week. My first task was to analyze the liquid in the cauldron, which I found to my surprise to be unholy water. I have read several passages on the theoretical existence of such type an elixir, but certainly I have not thought it possible to create such a large a cauldron filled to the brim with such a caustic substance. Our priority is to get into the temple library.

Looking for answers, I inspected the high-priest, checked his blood and well-being. Despite being flayed both in body and, chuckle, in mind as well, he was still resisting. I don't know why but I still find spitting on me personally insulting. Grast wanted to know more from the high-priest about the cauldron and I was more than happy to oblige.

10th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

I was experimenting with unholy water with the prisoners, when I was rushed to see bout an illness. One of the soldiers guarding the cauldron had become weak, his blood had somehow become poisoned and, and was in need of replenishing to get him back on his feet. I was concerned so I ran more tests on those who had been guarding the cauldron. Quite a few had experienced similar types of symptoms. In addition I had found their armour to have started to rust in places. I recommended to Grast for the guards to be rotated more and for further basic repair of the soldiers equipment for further inspections. I hope that this is not a contagion masquerading as isolated incidences.

12th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

Our first fatality from the contagion. The preliminary autopsy shows that the body had begun to rot from the inside, an interesting development for sure. It seems that it is not directly attacking the blood but rather the contagion seems to be first affecting the body, as matter dissolves from it into the blood does it cause for it to become poisoned. I am still unsure with this hypothesis and will continue to study some dealing with it. As a stop gap measure I have requisitioned one of the prisoners as a herd. I hope to develop his immunity levels so that he will be able to cycle out any contagion that may be in the blood, and transfuse the soldier with fresh blood.

My primary hypothesis to the cause is not the unholy water, albeit it does have its affects, rather it must be the blocks themselves. Somehow the blocks must be leeching magical energy from its surroundings. When armour is donned to make a blood-bound, it after a while no longer is dead like a traditional piece of protection that can be discarded after it breaks. Rather, when it does need replacing blood-letters have to ease it off and replace it with a new piece, often carefully filling the cavity with life renewing blood. The quickest way I have found to maintain this is in an immersion vat, where the blood bound is immersed in a tub, armour pieces are replaced. Possibly even lost limbs, the armour is reshut and the blood-bound, replaced, sealed and revitalized can enter back into service.

My mind is wandering, I have found that the large the blood-bound the more abuse he may take. I am certain that even though the blocks are surrounded by unholy water, the blocks nonetheless are succeeding in drawing magical energy from its surroundings. It would explain why the cauldron is protected with an anti-magic field. Perhaps with the help of 'Lith I could create mobile fields such as those.

14th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

When it gets quiet, one know to get worried. The cultists have been biding their time, and they drew off lieutenant Grast into an ambush. The fourth floor of the second vestibule was collapsed on him. While it was amusing on one level seeing him after fourteen hours of searching worming his way out of fallen masonry, the seriousness of what they did could not be escaped. Grast has redoubled his efforts to get into the library, and I shall make sure that the high-priest will be broken soon.

We have changed over by adding dice to the game and drinking a bit more. 'Lith is loosing, and hating every bit of it; we on other hand are mourning for his loss by celebrating more. Finally, we can perhaps win a few hands by our own power now.

15th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

Never go along with a good idea. I think getting into a drinking contest with 'Lith was a mistake, we kept on drinking and he kept on packing away this stuff. Finally we broke out our secret weapon: fermented demon blood. Now if you give this to a normal fleshy he will be on his knees retching as soon as the floor, ceiling, people, furniture stop spinning. He downed his stuff. Not a mean task either considering that it has the consistency of pudding. I think I might be hung over the first time I can ever remember. This temple seems to be filled with firsts.

The high-priest broke last night, his mouth is just a frothy babbling mess. There was no other alternative but to kill him. We received knowledge before he died on how to get in past the complex locks into the library. 'Lith, his aides, and I have been ransacking the library in search of clues. Most of the library is filled with dusty tomes filled with how much has been spent on what. I am confidant that with enough searching we can find what we need.

17th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

The piles of bodies are knee high, 'Lith has been shut in the library since the fight began, not that I can blame him. Although the men do grumble about cowardice - not to his face though. I am sure 'Lith knows it too. The cultists had been hoping that with addition of paladins of Cuthbert they could prevail. Even though we had drawn into our secondary fortifications, days of refortifying had led from improvised casements to defences that were too hard for them get through without machines of war. Fools. We are not lowly tomb robbers, or adventurers we are blood-bound. Many of us seen more carnage during our existence than they could ever imagine.

My primary concern is where did the cultists get paladins? I suppose paladins are a bit like carrion crows and as soon as there is mention of a wrong that needs straightened they come a-flying. They cannot be faulted for their fighting spirit, albeit their motivations should have demanded reconsideration by their captain. Especially as their allies were certainly not savoury characters. Though, it does speak volumes for their lack of military knowledge.

I have been spending most of my time, ignoring research, tending and mending the wounded. Are supplies while plentiful are running out, as our numbers diminish.

25th of Seftyr, 154 Anno Tyranne

Reinforcements arrived for our advanced party from the second host. There has been talk about promotions. But like most it has only been talk around the wist table. We have gone back to try and win 'Lith at cards and are still loosing badly. I have been avoiding drink, although the more we drink the more we seem to be winning on 'Lith.

My primary concern has been billeting, arranging for the day to day operation of the fresh troops at the temple. The temple is still filled with traps, and I have impressed its importance on them. The research now started has shifted back to 'Lith as the day to day duties of a blood-letter become ever more pressing. However, the questioning of the captured fire-elemental leader of the cultists is still part of my tasks.

Our exploration of the many miles of the temple complex has found us great amounts of treasure, that which has special value, we have brought to 'Lith to examine. The religious things, the statues, the paraphernalia, we have defaced or have heaped in piles and set fire to. Most of it has been of the vilest kind, which should need destroying anyways.

The information I receive is worrisome so I have talked with lieutenant Grast and he agrees on building stronger outer defences. We have begun work on several redoubts and strong rooms in the temple complex. I fear as we dismantle the temple to remove the cauldron more cultists may attempt to attack us.

Luz had always maintained a rather detached view on everything in life. His family while never rich would often spring him out of the direst of emergencies, which for most of his young adulthood were numerous. When he wanted to study they would find the money to make it possible. His trouble was that he would always flit around like a mayfly, always moving from one attraction to the next.

He studied to become a surgeon in one of the greatest academies. Not because it was his calling, but because it was that which caught his fancy. At the expense of his studies he would carouse with money meant for books and study materials on the streets of the capitol chasing beautiful women in the better establishments. His rich friends would often invite him, to their lavish parties, as he would bring company that would suit their tastes. He was the one who could procure the rarer a flower, the fuller a wine.

His one true love despite all the beauty in the world was not for women or wine, but for gambling. He would often accrue huge debts, which his friends would pay off in the hopes of sometime receiving recompense with his wild promises, after all he spoke in the highest of accents, and wore the more conspicuous of jewellery, and there was whisperings of him being from high parentage.

Eventually gambling took it all, his debtors approaching him at the crap table one night. The dice rolled well, but his life went badly as his family would no longer support his habits. Instead he ended up in a debtor's cell. His once finery going to pay for his bread and water. Here he lived an accursed life, filled with rats, unpleasant men, and other degenerates. He improved his position by becoming the prison barber, and as a surgeon he gained certain liberties. He would arrange fights, and pocket his share of the profits. One night, he stole across the wall, down into the city streets he went as a fugitive, but a free man. In the early morn he hid where no-one would search for him.

He soldiered under a pseudonym in one of the many companies that served in the capitol, rising to the rank of captain. His last assignment was to protect a treasure caravan, as it travelled through a lesser known demiplane. As he stepped from portal to demiplane, he was in the middle of a raging battle; drawing his sword a giant of armoured monster approached him with its warhammer. He struck the ogre many time with his sword, but it was only one strike that broke his sword, and sent him smashing against the rocky ground.

He awoke to it raining, chained and shackled he was led with his caravan back to the encampment. There they ate maggoty bread, stripped naked of any armour or weapons they may have, and were forced to march in a rag-tag line when their captors broke camp. They walked until exhaustion took them, only to be whipped wake again. Days slid together into a haze, the landscape blurred until their eyes were fixed upon a mountain summit and a grim fortress perched on its slopes. In that fortress Luz was put to work, cleaning the dungeons, his work never-ending, at first he shuddered with the screams, but like all things he became accustomed to them. His only passage of time was the tedium of the cleaning, and that too was never sure as they would often question prisoners at all times. There he learned to recognize the tools, and used his guile to make a petition to one of the many blood-letters there to become an apprentice. Curious the blood-letter agreed, and for once since his studies did he open up books dealing with anatomy, and this time learn he did. Years of necessity and experience, toughened his mind and body to the trials of being a blood-letter. He helped when an epidemic would break out. He would be spat on whenever he aided in the breaking of a prisoner.

Finally he was immersed and adorned in the armour of the blood-bound. His mentor bequeathing him with a fine girdle of tools that should keep him well in his new profession. And as blood-letter did he stay, his desire for lady luck and Fortuna slackened with loss other human desires. With a removed mind he views all with clinical curiosity aiding and assisting as his profession demands.

Sometimes, the blood bound have no slaves, in such cases there exist a creatures known as the Herd. They look much over-grown, lumbering mockeries of pack animals. Their elongated fingers all are claws with which they can feed to increase their fattened girth. Their mouth is an iron encased orifice with which they can rend through bone, steel, and flesh. Often they walk on all fours, their back covered with cylinders storing or replenishing the Blood Bound's potion. They can spew upon their enemies as easily as unto allies.

The armies of the blood-bound are filled with all manner of creatures. Often though their designs and motifs lend themselves by which are their common battlefields. Those whose foes are mere mortals will fatten their ranks with humans, elves, and orks. While those fighting among the fiends and celestials will maintain a horde filled with such types of creatures. Occasionally, there will be enough of a race that certain oft forgotten racial and cultural characteristics will emerge and fight for dominance.

"Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood;
Would you over evil a victory win?
There's wonderful power in the blood."

The singing continued even though their marching had stopped they were once a noble warrior race filled with martial pride, now they simply chant their most cherished cadences. Spears bristling they continue the chant as the build up momentum into neat formations of their enemies.

"There is power, power, wonder working power
There is power, power, wonder working power
In the precious blood of the Lamb."

Chrysalis

Other classes

The blood-bound is not only made up of warriors desiring the blood of others. Even a horde needs its blacksmiths, cooks, shepherds, and clerks. Who else is there who will fit the armour, tend to the slaves, and make sure the entire army works in a seamless fashion.

Manacled together, they lurch along in one bewildered line. Occasionally one would falter, and he or she would be whipped until they would stand again, or else dragged along by the many other chained feet.

Justine was in the middle of the line, she still had some dignity against these filthy creatures. Her house was a noble one, and she would not let it show on her face the fear that the others showed. The street was still littered with rubbish, and less savoury things. Most of the buildings around them had been destroyed. In front a rude table had been set up with quills and paper. Each one would be sorted, unshackled and forced at spear point to one of the many ever-lengthening lines. Her captors only smelled of death, and meat long left to sit and become ripe.

The girl in front of Justine stumbled and fell. "Child get up, get up child", she requested, her hands holding the same common chain. Justine grabs the chain and forced her up. "Child keep walking, please just keep walking", as the girl sobs into Justine's breast, "courage, we will be just fine." One of the soldiers shambled up, coiling a nasty looking whip, around its hand. A stern, protective look was only answered with a strike and a snarl. The line moved on.

Justine was second in the line, ahead of her the girl whose tears still streaked her dress, was being judged. "Name?" the man sitting behind the desk asked. Further tears welled up in her eyes. "Just touch the orb", he snarled. She grasped the orb, and screamed. "Ah. An innocent, such an exquisitely blank mind", he said, as she released the orb limply. "The Commitatus will enjoy her taste. Next!"

Justine is pushed forward by two helpers, their filthy hands leaving stains on what was once a clean smock. "Name?" The man asked. "Justine Casar", she replied. "Good, good, now touch the orb", he said writing down her name.

Justine touched the orb, it burned its way through her mind, stripping every secret away. Her marriage to her first husband, their three happy children. Him drinking too much, his accident. The marriage to a friend of her late husband, her consolation for her sorrow found in his arms. Her son ending up in a sleeping sickness, making her have to take care of him. Deeper secrets were being relived, the death of two pets, saving herself from a kidnapper...

A stifled scream ended the exploration, the orb burning in her hand, the smell of burning flesh can be felt as the magic worked on her arm, marking down numbers and letters down her arm. The thing wrote down the markings, "Ah, a poisoner."

Volmar, was once a bureaucrat in Dis. He was in his own way his own worst enemy. His true gods were efficiency and expediency. Unlike most of the members of the baatezu bureaucracy, he was not interested in the power struggle and the in-fighting. He could navigate the halls of power with ease, but he never did that, except to expedite those tasks which had fallen to him. He was in his own way, an honest clerk in a place that foundation was built on lies.

Whenever he would walk to his spacious office next to the hall of records, it would be followed with dark looks and a sense of malpresence. He was certainly unliked for burning those who would go against him, and not reaching for any of the power that he was tempted with.

Finally, certain powers within Dis found him to be more than an irritation, and more like an eyesore. They conspired against him, and made sure that he would be a clerk on expedition that would certainly never return.

It was obvious that he was trapped. Whole archives, law texts had been usurped. His work-mates no longer recognized him, and his appeals fell upon ears that seemed to no longer be there. So, he and three others like him walked resolutely with their baggage to the portal into negative energy realm. He stood there, irresolute as the last one to pass, his enemies chuckling as he took his final step.

In a few moments his body began to shrivel and burn, as all that was living in him tried to escape. While the body shrivelled up and died he was stuck in a realm between living and dead. It took countless aeons before he was summoned by a necromancer who sought hidden powers. The necromancer had summoned Volmar to steal his skin. What a suprise it must have been when it was Volmar who clothed himself in the necromancer's flesh, and the poor necromancer's spirit was dragged and dispersed on the winds of the negative energy plane. There was an efficiency about it all that can only be described as Volmar's mark.

However, efficiency dislikes chaos and the possibility for error; and errors there were. Even though he was of flesh and bone, the trickle of negative energy still conected him to negative energy plane. He had transformed into a vampire. As he studied and learned he realized that his desire for the vitae in the blood would keep him alive, but that while freed of the negative energy plane he still stood between negative and positive energy. Loosening the final bonds could be possible, but that would demand a great amount of positive energy. An amount that could not be gained by a single person, but would demand whole peoples of trapped life essence.

He of course knew of the blood-bound, they were before considered to be mercenary scum in the circulars of Dis. His decision was to become a blood-bound, not because of the breaking of the bonds through the stealing of vitae. That would foolish. Rather, as his vitae would slowly be replaced by others his connection with the negative energy plane would lessen and his connection with the abyss would strengthen. Finally he would die, and be reborn as baatezu.

With a mind like a steel trap, never forgetting even one detail. He is responsible for the day to day operation of the blood-bound army. He works ceaselessly through the paper-work, acquisition forms, making sure that the cogs of this war machine turn, even if the grease needed is the blood of one of his henchmen.
Chrysalis
Table of Organization:

The blood-bound army consist of six hosts, the first host consists of five hundred and thirty four foot-soldiers and sixty-six mounted warriors. These skilled, blood thirsty warriors are drawn up first on the left of the second host.

The second host exceeds the others in both numbers and quality of its blood-bound, they are the centre of the army, and the first to engage in battle. It consists of one thousand and sixty-eight foot-soldiers and one hundred and thirty-two mounted warriors. This host carries the banner of the blood-bound, the standard of the whole army.

The third contains five hundred and thirty four foot soldiers and sixty-six mounted warriors. These three hosts compose the first line. First, and third, hosts are meant to cover attacks on the second host, the mounted warriors of the fist and third host are meant to break lines of defence, harrass the enemy's cavalry, and harass possible reinforcements.

The fourth host contains five hundred and thirty four foot-soldiers and sixty-six mounted warriors. The fifth host consists of one thousand and sixty-eight foot-soldiers and one hundred and thirty-two mounted warriors. The fifth host's primary purpose is to defend the second host, their number can be often greater but never below one thousand and sixty-eight foot-soldiers. Often they also have a large constituent of the herd with them.

The sixth host contains five hundred and thirty four foot-soldiers and sixty-six mounted warriors. The fourth and six hosts are meant to protect the fifth host and support the first line against break-through. The mounted warriors of the fourth and six hosts are meant to make surprise attacks on the sides of the enemy canalizing them towards the second host.

These six hosts form the complete blood-bound army, consisting in the whole of four thousand two hundred and seventy-two foot-soldiers and five hundred and twenty-eight mounted warriors. A blood-bound army will never be composed of a less number of warriors.

In addition to the main six hosts, the blood-bound will often raise additional hosts under the guidance of sergeants to do special tasks. This includes decoy hosts, archers, and siege engineers. They will array themselves on the first or second line, or if they are artillery or siege engineers, or kept in reserve then they will take up the position on the third line.

The seventh host is raised in situations of siege and defence and consists of 178 foot-soldiers and 33 mounted warriors. They are responsible for the day-to-day administrative tasks of the blood-bound, inventorying tribute, finding fresh slaves and maintaining lines of communication. They are often raised from amongst the commitatus and among the slaves themselves.

Each host is commanded by a lieutenant answerable to the Battle Tasker. The Battle Tasker also commands his Commitatus, consisting of thirty-three mounted warriors renowned for their ferocity, and his Talons, a sixty-six air mobile unit.

Tactics and unit composition:

The blood-bound prefer close combat with their enemy. Often they will charge a flank as a wedge, with a fleet footed blood-bound leading carrying two axes behind of which comes two shield bearers with diagonal shield walls on each side of the wedge hemming the blood-bound together.

There is no differentiation between heavy and light mounted warriors in the blood-bound army. They will often fight enemy cavalry mounted, harrass enemy infantry mounted, and kill fleeing enemy mounted. When canalizing they will charge the sides of the enemy, dismount and then attack the enemy.

Spellcasters are not prominent in the blood-bound army, even though most wise blood-bound lieutenants will maintain a small contingent of spellcasters among their foot-soldiers.

The primary objective of the blood-bound is to fill their blood-lust. Those in command know that objective may only be achieved through the fattening of their slave contingent, and that would mean the breaking of the will of the enemy, so that they will lay down their weapons and enter chattle-dom. However, the troops crave for blood and often wish to be the first to taste that on their blades, making far too adept at slaughtering in a gore filled orgy that which they would needs have later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012