Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sapient critters, shapechange, and missions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
wylie
simple question (I hope)

after searching the forums, the only postings I found boiled down to how the spell(s) was interpetted by THAT GM, and pettiness between 2 posters

I am looking at playing a sapient critter in the New York Missions and was wanting to use Shapechange spell for it so, at times, it could go out in public without causing a major attraction fest.
As this will be on the official level, not a home game, I would like the Devs ruling, or someone like playtester in the know, on whether this is legal. Maybe what players have seen at conventions even

i am not worried about God, animal classications, and whatever else bogged down the other blog.

I just want a basic answer so I know if I can finish the character and get it ready for NY, or if i need to plan on a metahuman race

the official rules from the NY character creation and transfer guide:
Can I be a (fill in the blank)?
Due to the campaign structure, we have restricted certain
play options. Drakes, the Infected, Shapeshifters, Free Spirits,
and AI are not allowed for player characters. Sapient critters,
Metavarients, and Changelings are all allowed, as well as the
options in the core rulebook.

and does anyone what the chances of a Missions GM allowing a custom spell, that similates the shapechange (or just the critter spell) so the sapient criiter can assume a metahuman shape for a limit time?

thank you for any and all help provided
Ravor
Why can't you just use Physical Mask instead?
Aaron
Making a custom spell shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to use the rules for a character designing a new spell (p. 158, Street Magic), the rules for downtime projects in the Missions FAQ, and mark the time off on your log.
wylie
mask is nice, but i am looking for something that actually hides the form so I do not have to worry about getting the tail step on ( in case of naga), pass through (like pixie masked as a troll), and so on

something that can be physically touched
and so i don't have to worry about sensors detecting the illusion

BishopMcQ
If you need help with a break down of steps (thresholds, Dice Pool, etc) let me know, and I will be glad to walk you through the process.

wylie
that brings up another question
(blame too many home brew games (yeah))

I cannot start with a custom spell in missions?? a brand new character??

it would be good to know for several reasons, as I am to help one GM run some missions in couple months
(PLUG: RoundCon in Columbia, SC) sorry, con't resist, will post more later on that

thanks for the assit, Bishop
if i need help, i'll PM you, if only to make sure i added it all up correctly
BishopMcQ
Wylie--As there are no rules for purchasing custom spells at character generation, my answer would be that it is something which must be developed during game time. I will review with Aaron during our normal meeting to confirm.

If you are concerned for the first few runs before you earn the karma to learn the spell and sufficient cash to pay lifestyle costs, then my recommendation would be an Illusion of some form to get you through the short-term.
wylie
thanks, i'll keep an illusion spell in mind
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012