Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AR/VR GUIs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Audious
So, I was looking at the art in Unwired and thought it would be cool for those of us with graphic design abilities come up with some graphical interfaces for some stock/modified operating systems for AR or VR (icons, windows, etc.).

I think it would be useful for GMs and players alike in that I think it would help visualize how using the Matrix works, plus add another level of customization to the characters.

I'm at work right now with no access to Photoshop or my tablet at the moment, but I didn't want to forget the idea in the next 4 hours.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Datajack already shows some of the GUI presented. Videogames are another way to present tactical information. WIth ammo, buddy health and a map shown at the corners.
kigmatzomat
I think you may be missing the real potential of simsense-capable computing. Let me point out a very overlooked fact or two.

In the SRverse a datajack or comm+trodes run a datasoft so that people have facts available whenever they wonder about something.

Think about that. There's no need for status screens, HUDs, or text crawls. "Where's Steve? Oh, 15m behind me and down a floor." "The number of wireless networks nearby is....8 visible. Hidden...3."

Then there are the uses of simsense to provide information via touch, scent, or sound. The bandwidth on a simsense user interface (SSUI) is several times more than visual alone and the brain is better able to track and pioritize multiple senses than one complex visual image.

Imagine the SSUI: A weapon sensor that causes the scent of gun oil to waft through the mind, or heat when you get close to a laser tripwire. Subtle things like a nav system that makes the right direction feel like downhill.

Graphic displays will exist for visual people but won't be the norm. I am a visual person (I retain twice as much if I transcribe or read something) but I wouldn't bother with a GUI in combat if I can have an SSUI that let's me have data when I think and can prompt me with the stimulus of my choosing..
hobgoblin
i recall recently reading about a person that had a compass and a set of mobile phone vibrators stuck together in a belt.

the setup was so that the vibrator that was pointing towards north would always vibrate.

end result, he started to develop perfect close range navigation, as he could figure out in what direction he had walked from a hotel, and what direction to head to get back, even after several twists and turns.
Zormal
Cool.

"No, miss, I'm not making rude gestures towards you. I'm trying to navigate using my pelvis"
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Aug 5 2009, 11:51 PM) *
I think you may be missing the real potential of simsense-capable computing. Let me point out a very overlooked fact or two.

In the SRverse a datajack or comm+trodes run a datasoft so that people have facts available whenever they wonder about something.

Think about that. There's no need for status screens, HUDs, or text crawls. "Where's Steve? Oh, 15m behind me and down a floor." "The number of wireless networks nearby is....8 visible. Hidden...3."

Then there are the uses of simsense to provide information via touch, scent, or sound. The bandwidth on a simsense user interface (SSUI) is several times more than visual alone and the brain is better able to track and pioritize multiple senses than one complex visual image.

Imagine the SSUI: A weapon sensor that causes the scent of gun oil to waft through the mind, or heat when you get close to a laser tripwire. Subtle things like a nav system that makes the right direction feel like downhill.

Graphic displays will exist for visual people but won't be the norm. I am a visual person (I retain twice as much if I transcribe or read something) but I wouldn't bother with a GUI in combat if I can have an SSUI that let's me have data when I think and can prompt me with the stimulus of my choosing..

But not everyone has a Multi-Sense AR display...some people only have the visual. Plus, a visual representation is easier to show on paper, as reference... Though I will admit, I never though of AR in that way before, but I definitely will from now on...those are certainly some handy ideas to throw around....

On the topic of AR, did everyone get a look at this thread? http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=27528
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012