Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wild West Canadian Coast - Nanaimo, BC, Canada - Vancouver Island
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
CanadianWolverine
Greetings to my fellow Dumpshockers!

Are any of my fellow SR enthusiasts hailing from ...
... Province of British Columbia, Canada? Feel free to PM me if you are in the mood for SR chat.
... Vancouver Island and traveling through The Hub City - Nanaimo? Feel free to PM me and set up a meet
... Nanaimo or relatively close by in travel time/costs? Feel free to PM me if you want a GM/Player.

Please consider: I do consider myself a newbie to SR, so if you are used to a more advanced player I hope I will be forgiven for my mistakes and with fellow SR noobs I am more than willing to figure this game out for the enjoyment of a game night.

Well, till I hear from anyone, let me just say, take care and happy hunting in all your games! grinbig.gif
CanadianWolverine
Announcing: Nanaimo SR4A Game Event

Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Time: 10 am - 8 pm
Place: Nanaimo Harbourfront Library http://www.virl.bc.ca/pages/index_e.aspx?detailid=228
Players: 2 - 6

I will be GMing a one shot SR4A game for the day. New comers and old hands welcome.

First player slot already confirmed.

My GM style will be very off the cuff and improvisational aka you will not be limited per se.

The setting will be presented very sandbox like, there will be multiple possible "jobs" from Mr(s). Jays, so it is highly suggested to have characters with personal goals - jobs can even be personally tailored with this in mind and don't be afraid to turn down jobs or seek out / make up your own. Characters will be approved before game with two requirements, that all characters have a Fixer Contact in common and a back up character(s) that also know that same Fixer Contact, an elf named Frank Connection Rating 5 - beyond that, I expect the players to work out if they will play Pro, Pink Mohawk, or anything in between. Also, expect all skills to be used to highlight characters as being in their element - I want to make you a star, baby. Characters will be standard 400 BP but there will be some progression of karma in game at timed intervals with appropriate bonuses.

Contact me by PM or drop a post in the thread if you are interested in playing.
pbangarth
I'm that first player. I'm looking forward to trying something I haven't played before. Don't know what yet, and hopefully it will be a survivable character, but I figure this one-off might be a chance to try something from beyond the pale.

Like for example, a young Quebec woman, Sept de Neuf, with alienation issues, a fascination with last century's science fiction and a rich parent, who gets massive cyberlimb-ing done and wants to be Ă¼ber-agent in mommy's corporation... till her 'project' is dropped and her parts are to be reclaimed.

Or... the ugly troll with the heart of gold,from Kazakstan, who just...won't...die, and made it big wrestling bears on the east Asian circus circuit. Then there was the incident with the trapeze artist and the army sergeant...

Looking forward to some cool characters here.
pbangarth
CW, I don't know if you have received any PMs regarding the game, but there seems to be a little reticence in committing to a game. How about the following mechanic to encourage at least one or two more players?

You are looking for up to 6 players. For 4 to 6 players, we have PCs with the standard 400 BP build. For players fewer than 4, we take the 400 BP per missing character, convert it one-to-one to Karma, and distribute it evenly among the players. So, three players would have 400 BP to start, and then 133 Karma points to represent growth after entering the shadows. Two players would start at 400 BP and then each get 400 Karma points to grow their characters. Clearly, fewer players will have more capable characters to play.

This would allow the players to fill in skills that may be necessary to round out a party's capabilities, in a way that would naturally depict character experience. I suggest BPs converting to Karma because BPs carry a bigger bang than Karma points do, particularly in SR4A. Also, this would allow something like Initiation for magically active characters or Submersion for technomancers.

I guess the first two players who jump in might wish that no more players commit, in the hopes of getting to play elite characters, but it looks as if this may not be a real problem.

What do you think?

EDIT: Hmmm... I guess money should be divided similarly. So, three players, an extra 80,000 nuyen each; two players, an extra 250,000 nuyen each?
CanadianWolverine
I think that is a excellent idea, since for me the main goal will be that the players come away having had a very fun experience and that should also make up for any lack of certain talents on a team by having bumped up characters like that.

As I am sure that people like are selves into role playing SR will enjoy meeting other players of SR, I don't think this will be a problem from that perspective either - think of it as we will have a blast of regardless of how many commit and show up. I have already booked the day myself and Pbang has commited his time and energy as well.
pbangarth
Hmmmm.... don't people know how beautiful it is on Vancouver Island? Well worth the ferry ride!
SincereAgape
This past June I spent some time in Vancouver, Calgary, and Victoria Island. That region is to die for. If I were living up there (And sooooooooo wish I was), I would join this game in a heartbeat.
pbangarth
So move! Canada welcomes creative people of every stripe, and the West Coast is a mecca for people looking for a new life.
CanadianWolverine
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 28 2009, 09:06 PM) *
So move! Canada welcomes creative people of every stripe, and the West Coast is a mecca for people looking for a new life.

Hehe, you first! I could use a permanent SR game. biggrin.gif

All kidding aside, he is right, Vancouver Island and BC in general is very accepting of other peoples. Unless you are Bush or Harper. wink.gif nyahnyah.gif
pbangarth
So, here's a potential character: Oro the Unstoppable. I borrowed him from a submission of mine into the 800 BP thread, and modified him to be 400 BP followed by 400 Karma. It was particularly difficult switching things around to get the BP spent before he goes to Japan, and then spending Karma. Tell me what you think. He uses material from just about every book, so if you need quotes/explanations, let me know.

Backstory
[ Spoiler ]

Vignette
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet -- gear acquired after chargen (250,000 nuyen) to come shortly
-- 400 BP in [square brackets], 400 Karma spent after chargen in {curly brackets}
[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
And here's a category of run that would really twist the mind of most runners, elite or otherwise.
CanadianWolverine
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Oct 30 2009, 01:58 PM) *
And here's a category of run that would really twist the mind of most runners, elite or otherwise.

While that is good and I am totally going to steal it and put my twist on it, so thanks for the link, I have got a bunch (7 possible job offers and 1 exclusive character hook so far - that's as much as I will say, don't want to spoil anything) already lined up thanks to the inspiration of your psychology of your character - in fact, the link provided ties in very nicely in to the stuff I have planned already. Yes, you read that right, I basicly building a Shadowrun version of the Classified section in the back of newspapers, so better not piss off Frank The Fixer but hey, even if you do, just have a bunch of other Contacts, right? smile.gif
pbangarth
I've posted in the 800 point thread, HERE, asking for others to join Oro in a game for experienced PCs in Nanaimo on December 8th. I hope one or more will decide to make the trip!
CanadianWolverine
Sadly, I must announce that due to unforeseen circumstances, the one off SR 4A session has been canceled.
Mantis
Don't suppose you want to come to Vancouver once or twice a month? I've got a game with some spots open here but packing us up to head to the island probably wouldn't go over well. Anyway, an option if you are interested. I've been GMing Shadowrun since 1990 but took a break just before all that comet nonsense wink.gif (2003 or 04, not sure) and got back into it last summer.
CanadianWolverine
Thank you for the offer, I really do appreciate it and totally understand the infeasibility of heading across the Salish Strait. Unfortunately, I would be in SR terms, just barely above slumming it, so it is also infeasible for me to take trips to Van, as much fun as that would be. Though, I suppose with all this Olympic business, it is a little less fun these days.
Mantis
Yea that's about what I figured. Damn ferry is expensive! Especially if you need to take a car. And yea Vancouver is getting kinda crazy with the Hell-ympics gearing up. Anyway, if things change for you the offer is there. I'll try to find a player or two here to try and fill out the ranks. I'm used to running campaigns with 6 to 8 players and right now I've only got 2 constant players and 1 very sometimes player. Good luck. I don't know what I'd do if I was stuck in Toffino with nothing but surfing and fishing to entertain myself...oh wait. wobble.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012