Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun 4 excel sheet!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pollution
Hey all!

I've just finished v1.7 of my group's SR4 excel sheet and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

The sheet gives you the ability to make a SR4 character, export that character, and import other exported characters. The import/export function is for when I update the sheet (saves all that work of re inputting everything when more options become available).

The sheet covers the main book, most of Arsenal, Augmentation, Street Magic and some of Unwired (mainly technomancer stuff).

I'll be updating often and I'll post a link once a month to the sheet.

The sheet is based on the one found here: http://shadowrun.nerps.net/ That project seems to have been abandoned, so I took it up and updated it for my own group. I've got lots of plans to continue updating the sheet over time as well.

Grab the sheet HERE (latest version is 1.7): http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3e4a7bd...04e75f6e8ebb871

Any updates I do will be uploaded there as well with beta sheets clearly marked.

Enjoy!
Mr. Mage
cool, I'll have to check this out
Cadmus
just a question. um..can you save that in a normal xl format smile.gif my verson of xl 2002 won't run it hehe,
Pollution
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Aug 7 2009, 07:18 PM) *
cool, I'll have to check this out

You'll need to enable Macros for the non-binary one to work.

Did you try getting the patch for comparability? It makes it so you can use current builds of Excel. Get it from Microsoft's website or google search it.

Also, keep in mind that the save time on the binary is about 1/2 that of the non-binary. I think the compatibility patch would make you able to use the binary.

But I uploaded a macro-enabled version. that WILL work with compatibility for sure.
AJCarrington
Thanks for these - will be checking them out this weekend.

AJC
WhiteWolf
Pollution,

Thank you for taking this generator back up. This is the only character generator I was using. Never really liked the layout of the others. There is one that someone is creating as a program and that one looks to be really nice.
Erl of Ingst
I'll probably be working on an open office variation (based on your 1.7 if that is fine with you), though no guarantees on timeliness (I have a short attention span). The excel version doesn't display the drop down tabs correctly for those of us who are cheap to buy Microsoft products.
Pollution
QUOTE (Erl of Ingst @ Aug 9 2009, 11:25 AM) *
I'll probably be working on an open office variation (based on your 1.7 if that is fine with you), though no guarantees on timeliness (I have a short attention span). The excel version doesn't display the drop down tabs correctly for those of us who are cheap to buy Microsoft products.

Have at it.

I think I've licked the long save time, unfortuneately, it's going to take about 10 hours of changing refrences (All those VBlookup's will need to point to an external file).

It involves moving the tables sheet to another file, that way it's not saving that INSANE amount of data each time you save, which I'm sure is what's slowing everything down. So, that particular fix is WAY out in the future.
Pollution
QUOTE (WhiteWolf @ Aug 9 2009, 04:45 AM) *
Pollution,

Thank you for taking this generator back up. This is the only character generator I was using. Never really liked the layout of the others. There is one that someone is creating as a program and that one looks to be really nice.

I wouldn't mind seeing that one...

Well, off to do the Lifestyle upgrade. (eeek)
RobertB
Actually, further work was done on this spreadsheet. Take a look at this post in the original thread:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=782933

I have always loved this sheet, and use it exclusively. You may be able to take ideas and such from the other sheet to incorporate into yours. Good luck!

Robert (aka Spanner)
Pollution
......Oh.....

(Pretends that the last 10 hours of Excel coding never happened and picks up Wiz's sheet for use)

Thanks.

biggrin.gif
Erl of Ingst
Yeah, works fine for 3.1 open office...
dobbersp
QUOTE (Pollution @ Aug 10 2009, 09:54 PM) *
......Oh.....

(Pretends that the last 10 hours of Excel coding never happened and picks up Wiz's sheet for use)

Thanks.

biggrin.gif

rofl. I hate it when that happens. Yet, irony is so funny like that....

d:- D
Pollution
Well, I took a look at that sheet, and there's some good stuff in there, and some bad stuff IMHO. The MAIN problem I have with it, is the file size of 32 meg. That and there's a TON of errors in the sheet that causes it to take forever to save/load.

So I think I'll continue on my own sheet, adding things as I get to them and trying to keep both the size and the save/load time down to a minimum.

So, without further ado, Version 1.72 is up!

I've added Advanced Lifestyles, Runner's Companion Qualities, A display for Submersion on the Rigger/Hacker Sheet (only works for Technomancers), the ability to choose Sprites and assign Ratings and Tasks owed/left. Sprites print out on the Hacker/Rigger sheet with a list of their base stats based on rating (i.e. pilot 4 for rating 4). It also lists their starting CF's and powers.

Lifestyle now prints on page 2 if you use Advanced Lifestyle.

I found a few bugs/errors in the sheet and have corrected them. This has VASTLY increased the save/load speed of the sheet. Before, when you saved, it could take up to 5 min to respond again, Now it's a matter of seconds. So that's a BIG improvement in my mind. It no longer locks up under Microsoft office when saving.

Link is in my sig. You can pick Binary version (faster, smaller) or Macro Enabled XLS version (slightly slower, larger, Open Office compatible in theory).
Chrysalis
Hi,

I have recently tried using the character generator.

Some things that I thought of that I found to be incredibly fiddly are the cyberware and bioware sections. Not enough space for things and scrolling through lists looking for one item in a drop down list is annoying. Also what is more annoying when something cannot be found so I end up scrolling through it 3-4 times.

I would prefer seeing it as a seperate sheet, with check boxes next to each option. Once checked it adds it to the final to be printed sheet.

Since I can't add tables I would see it like:

Cybereye type [scrolldown list I-IV] [grade]
[ ] vision enhancement
[ ] low-light
Pollution
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Aug 17 2009, 10:04 AM) *
Hi,

I have recently tried using the character generator.

Some things that I thought of that I found to be incredibly fiddly are the cyberware and bioware sections. Not enough space for things and scrolling through lists looking for one item in a drop down list is annoying. Also what is more annoying when something cannot be found so I end up scrolling through it 3-4 times.

I would prefer seeing it as a seperate sheet, with check boxes next to each option. Once checked it adds it to the final to be printed sheet.

Since I can't add tables I would see it like:

Cybereye type [scrolldown list I-IV] [grade]
[ ] vision enhancement
[ ] low-light

I've been considering changing the layout of the cyber/bio to do something similar to that.

Basically it'd be exactly where it is, but instead of just a Cyber and a Bio column it'd be Headware, Bodyware, ect... Then under Bio it'd be Tailored, regular, Genetech, ect...

It's not that BIG of a change (only take about an hour of reorganizing and then another hour of Store/Recall Function changes). I'll add that to my to do list. Though I'm trying to avoid having 40 different sheets for chargen and advancement. I'd like to end up having Build, Advancement, NuYen/Karma, then the CharSheet 1, 2, 3, Magic, and Hacker/Rigger pages. This way there's not a ton of scrolling that needs to be done.

My overall goal for this is to keep it simple. for both build and advancement, while keeping it comprehensive. I want all Drone/Vehicle customizations to be handled on the build sheet and not on a separate page like the previous incarnation (I found that sheet not only too large and unwieldy, but also confusing to deal with the layout).

But thanks for your advice on the Cyber/Bio, that IS on the to do list now.

Currently, I've just finished incorperating a basic Firearms modification table (i.e. adding shit to your guns). The stats don't change as of YET, but at least they're there. Martial Arts is instituted, and Veh/Drones are next on the list. It's all pretty smooth and looks good on a printout so I'm happy so far. I'll put up that version some time this week, and then get to work incorporating the cyber/bio changes.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Pollution
Hey guys! 1.7.4 (beta) has just been uploaded.

Included Materials in this build:
1. Core Rules 4th Edition (and probably 4thAniversery Addition)
2. Street Magic
3. Augmentation
4. Arsenal
5. Most of Unwired (Complex Forms, Echoes, Advanced Echoes, Qualities)
6. Runners Companion (Adv Lifestyle, Qualities)

Version Changes:
1. Commlink Modification Added, prints out on Page 2
2. Removed Contacts from tabs, Redesigned sheet and renamed to CharSheet Page 3
3. Weapon Customization added. Prints out on Page 3. Player still needs to keep track of Stat changes.
4. Martial Arts Added, prints out on Page 3. (No Validation Checks for MA as of yet)
5. Custom Programs/Complex Forms added, Prints out on Rigger/Hacker Page
6. Moved Vehicles/Drones to Page 3, Veh/Drone notes now prints with Standard upgrades for each Veh/Drone
7. Changed some Values (like Adept Powers) for SR4A
8. Changed color of Print out Pages from Green theme to Blue theme (to match SR4A)

Future Plans:
While I'd like to think I'm done with this sheet…I know I'm not. I keep finding more things to integrate as more material comes out for SR4. My future plans for this sheet are as follows:

1. Finish integrating Unwired (Equipment, Programs, Agents)
2. Implement Validation checks for Martial Arts, currently the sheet doesn't require you to purchase the quality
3. Implement Vehicle/Drone Modifications and autocalculate any new values
4. Implement Changes to autocalculate stats for Weapons based on Modifications
5. Reformat the way Cyber/Bio is selected to separate by Category (Headware/Bodyware/Limbs/Tailored Bio/ect…

I'm also debating about changing the Karma costs to match SR4A. A lot of groups are split on how they want to do Karma costs and BP costs. Some are sticking to SR4 Karma costs but using SR4A BP costs (like Adept powers costing less in many cases). Some are using SR4A karma Costs across the board, some are using SR4 Karma Costs with SR4A Karma Awards.... It's all very confusing.

So, I'd like to continue using the current Karma costs for things (for now, since that's what my group is doing) but I'm willing to swap it over to the new costs. What do you guys think?

A lot has been moved around/reformatted. I'm trying to keep this sheet as small as possible, while being very inclusive at the same time. Once again, I'm trying to keep the amount of print pages to a minimum, and the build pages for that matter. It's my ultimate goal to have the sheet usable by anyone with a decent resolution without having to page through tabs too often (i.e. tabs not being on the screen). So far, so good.

Don't forget to send me suggestions on what should be in the next builds! Enjoy!
Nigel
I have several suggestions for future builds, though it has gotten very good very quickly.

When customizing vehicles, could you add a gun selector to turret spots? This is for customized guns to put on drones, etc., so it should have those available to select.

Also, could you add a checkbox to use either SR4A or pre-SR4A rules? Some games use one, some use the other.
Pollution
Great, thanks very much!

Yes to the CheckBox (Will be big assed drop down box) and yes to gun selector. Though it will most likely be a case (like now) where you buy your gun separate and then put a note on the Drone/Vehicle (though the note will actually be the selector you're talking about).

Also, if you have already DL'd 1.7.4 do yourself a favor and redownload that. I was updating my character for our game tomorrow and noticed about 20 really small and annoying bugs (like CFs/Programs not displaying properly on the print out, or Karma costs for Technomancers when they didn't buy a CF, that kind of thing).

It's annoying enough that you'll want to re DL again. I didn't change the version number since the problem was caused by one field being off and throwing off 20 others.

Again, thanks for the props, and I'll definitely work in any suggestions that come.
Chrysalis
I am kind of thinking of how to incorporate my resource guide with character sheet, but so far it would basically involve keeping everything on the sheet and doing equipment etc, as a seperate sheet.

I was thinkng of the cyberzombie character challenge and it is always nice when I can just add all the fiddly bits to a sheet and it does the calculations for me.
Dakka Dakka
Great work on continuing Harri Tusa's work.
I noticed that the poor self-control negative qualities ( combat monster, vindictive etc.) are missing in SR4 - Character Excel Sheet v1.7 (non-binary).xlsm.
Gear from Arsenal has not been implemented yet either.

Strangely the macros are not working even though I have enabled them.
piotrus
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Aug 24 2009, 05:35 AM) *
Great work on continuing Harri Tusa's work.
I noticed that the poor self-control negative qualities ( combat monster, vindictive etc.) are missing in SR4 - Character Excel Sheet v1.7 (non-binary).xlsm.
Gear from Arsenal has not been implemented yet either.

Strangely the macros are not working even though I have enabled them.

Wait, is this based on Tusa's excellent "sr4gen_v099.xls" ? I've been updating it myself, but from what I read here this version may be much more advanced. Might, as the file download link is dead. Does anyone has a copy?
piotrus
Ok, since the OP is not responding to PM, here's a call for anyone with a version of this to reshare it. I could share my own modified 0.099, but I hope someone has the more advanced version mentioned here.

Edit: it does seem like Upgraded Character Generator is the descendant of this, at least in so far as it mentions being inspired by Harry Tusa's work. So I guess that's it, folks - let this be closed again, and all looking for an up to date version of the excel SR generator, check out the link above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012