Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tachnomancing like a man possessed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stahlseele
More or less one question i am curious about right now and i seem to be unable to find an answer to this one:
If a spirit were to possess a TM, could that Spirit work with AR/VR? Would the TM-Stuff work for the Spirit?
If not, what WOULD happen then?
Matsci
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 9 2009, 02:28 PM) *
More or less one question i am curious about right now and i seem to be unable to find an answer to this one:
If a spirit were to possess a TM, could that Spirit work with AR/VR? Would the TM-Stuff work for the Spirit?
If not, what WOULD happen then?

nope, the Technomancers powers are part of his mind, which is suppressed by the spirit. Spirits are incapable of interfacing with the matrix in any way, shape or form.
CodeBreaker
I think this is a GM fiat honestly. For example I would not allow it, but that is because I have been writing up a house-canon explanation for the Emergence (It's interesting, I have been thinking about posting it) means that Technomancers have an innate link the the Resonance (*cough Resonant AI cough*) that does not meld well with any Magic.

However if you consider a Technomancers abilities to be purely caused by a biological change, for example in brain chemistry, then a Spirit riding that individual would have access to that changed brain chemistry and be able to use it as such.
Stahlseele
If i remember this correctly, a spirit can use AR at least through the senses of his host. What about built in comlinks though? Do these work?
If so, and the Brain of Technomancers is really just a biological comlink, then i don't see why it should not work . .
Maelstrome
would it be possible to make a unique enchantment to allow a mage to posses a technomancer? silly.gif
Stahlseele
Would one need something like that?
If the TM is out and away, the Mage can just go astral, into the Body of the TM and use it. But i don't know if the MAge would then be able to enter the Matrix like the TM does. Or what would happen to the TM at that point either O.o
Has this never ever come up before? x.x
Even if this IS a highly hypothetical scenario . . that has never ever stopped dumpshock before either ^^
Maelstrome
Stahlseele, my good man, you must make this journey without me.my group is heading to get food for the game. ill be back to see how this pans out.
Stahlseele
Have fun.
I will now go to bed.
I'm curious as to how this discussion will play out too ^^
Medicineman
QUOTE (Matsci @ Aug 9 2009, 05:58 PM) *
nope, the Technomancers powers are part of his mind, which is suppressed by the spirit. Spirits are incapable of interfacing with the matrix in any way, shape or form.

I second that
Plus !
Magic and Resonance are Incompatable

Hough!
Medicineman
GreyBrother
We ruled it in our group that the spirits mental and special attributes overwrite the hosts, so the Hostbody becomes magical but looses every virtuakinetic power and a possessed magician doesn't add his magic to the spirits.
Stahlseele
Hmm, i know spirits are beings of pure magic, but they don't actually have a magic attribute right?
Only their force, is that correct? So technically, if the rules say a character can only have the resonance or magic attribute, never both, with force this would be circumvented right?
Medicineman
Technically you should be Impervious to my rolled-up Newspaper wink.gif

don't make my Try it out !

with a Foreboding Dance
Medicineman
Stahlseele
ah, you would not be the first one to try . . why do you think i keep recommending hard cover source-books? ^^
McAllister
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Aug 10 2009, 07:17 AM) *
Technically you should be Impervious to my rolled-up Newspaper wink.gif

don't make my Try it out !

with a Foreboding Dance
Medicineman

Sir, your every post makes me chuckle.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 10 2009, 11:54 AM) *
Hmm, i know spirits are beings of pure magic, but they don't actually have a magic attribute right?
Only their force, is that correct? So technically, if the rules say a character can only have the resonance or magic attribute, never both, with force this would be circumvented right?

No, all spirits have a Magic Attribute equal to their Force.

Moreover, most spirits cannot use AR or VR (the exception being certain forms of Inhabitation, so yes, there's most likely Bug Spirits using the Matrix...even though they couldn't be TMs, as the host's Resonance Attribute would be lost during the Inhabitation).

If you want a posessed hacker, go for someone with normal Hacking skills.
His mind doesn't have anything better to do while the body is posessed anyway, so he could do some full VR hacking while the team houngan's Guardian Spirit is using his body to blow shit up with assault cannons.
Certainly better than dragging a comatose hacker body along in a wheelchair while you're infiltrating a high-security research site (same for projecting mages as well!).

What i'm wondering about, though : if the vessel's Special Attributes are replaced by the Spirit's, what does theat mean for Awakened vessels?
Would an Adept posessed by a spirit still have access to his Adept powers?
Would he even gain additional Power Points if the Spirit had a higher Magic rating?
Could a Mage boost his Magic rating through Posession?
GreyBrother
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 10 2009, 03:52 PM) *
If you want a posessed hacker, go for someone with normal Hacking skills.
His mind doesn't have anything better to do while the body is posessed anyway, so he could do some full VR hacking while the team houngan's Guardian Spirit is using his body to blow shit up with assault cannons.
Certainly better than dragging a comatose hacker body along in a wheelchair while you're infiltrating a high-security research site (same for projecting mages as well!).

That won't work, Jim. The spirit is still in the body and does need it. VR is not Projecting.

Would an Adept posessed by a spirit still have access to his Adept powers?
No, the spirit wouldn't be able to access the powers.
Would he even gain additional Power Points if the Spirit had a higher Magic rating?
No. The Keyword is "replaced". Overwritten. The spirits magical force is in charge, not the hosts.
Stahlseele
No, all spirits have a Magic Attribute equal to their Force.

Ok, that i did not remember. Thank you.
Furthermore, you bring up interesting and valid points yourself.
If special attributes are replaced, then that would take the Edge(sorry) of possession a bit.
Spirits could not use Adept-Powers, as they are bound to the adepts Magic Attribute and not the Spirits.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Aug 10 2009, 02:58 PM) *
That won't work, Jim. The spirit is still in the body and does need it. VR is not Projecting.

Hm...according to RAW, Mental Attributes are overwritten as well, which would speak against an ability of the vessel to still conduct entirely mental tasks while posessed.
According to Posession fluff, however, the vessel's mind is still present, on the backseat, so to speak.
This doesn't have to be as contradictory as it sounds, though.
It is very well possible that the vessel is also subject to a partial mental merging with the Spirit...hence the Channeling Metamagic, where the lowest of either the Spirit's or the mage's mental Attributes is used.

No. The Keyword is "replaced". Overwritten. The spirits magical force is in charge, not the hosts.

Which would also mean that a posessed mage couldn't, for example, sustain spells or perform any other magical tasks while posessed...unless he projects, right?
DireRadiant
Can't have both Resonance and Magic attributes.
otakusensei
Even technomancers are still present n their body while using the matrix. It's all simsense and RAS overrides, just like the mundane folks. If a spirit does evict a techno from his body and hop in himself, the spirit's natural magic rating would take over and suppress the technomancers resonance rating in the same way his mental attributes would be suppressed.

Interesting discussion though.
Tiger Eyes
Ghost Cartels does actually address this specifically.

During possession, the spirit’s Force
is added to the Attributes of the drug user (giving
possessed users incredible physical strength and
endurance). Mental and Special Attributes are the
spirit’s own.

A spirit cannot access Resonance through possessing
a technomancer.

(Stahseele, we gave you talking cats that can brainwash people, man. You've had enough treats for the year.)
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Aug 10 2009, 08:37 PM) *
Ghost Cartels does actually address this specifically.

ah,good to know then

(Stahseele, we gave you talking cats that can brainwash people, man. You've had enough treats for the year.)

Where's the difference to any cat ever? ^^
Medicineman
Dear Tigereyes smile.gif
Stahlseele is not the only Cat fan(I got 2 at Home and I'm also playing Cheshire Cat a Cat Shaman )

with an offtopic ,but necessary Dance
Medicineman
Stahlseele
I may not be the only one, but i am the only one in troll size ^^
Also, because Tiger Eyes pretty much Answered the initial Question completely, feel free to discuss the other questions this might have brought up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012