Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gen Con
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
TranKirsaKali
Ok, now that I have regained consciousness, the con was a ton of fun. We had a blast. I just wanted to send a great big thanks out to all the people that invested their time in making the event so much fun to attend. The scramble was great. The Tournament a beautiful challenge to play outside my comfort zone. The missions. . . well they are missions so we all know that they are fun. But the GMing was great too. Getting to play with new GMs is always a fun thing. And now I have faces for names on this forum. *Evil Laughter* Once again thanks to everyone that made the Con so memorable for me and my husband. Chrome Monger and I are really looking forward to sharing our experiences with our friends and our usual team.
BlueMax
For those of us who were stuck on the other side of the rockies, do you have the pre event blurbs?

I would love to hear what the tournament was about.

BlueMax
DireRadiant
The tournament was about 20 years of Shadowrun in 2 four hour slots.

It did NOT fit.

We did it anyway.
Game2BHappy
The Missions, Scramble, and Tournament really were a lot of fun. A huge THANKS to all the volunteers that made it so!
Redjack
Ditto! We played as much Shadowrun as I have played in a year (times seven)! It was good for me to put names to faces as well and look forward to seeing you all again next year.
BishopMcQ
For everyone who didn't figure it out from listening to Bull and Caine, my character was a plant in the Scramble. Thanks all for a lot of fun.

Remember: Never take cigarettes from a runner you've never met.

Edit: Also, for the record, the "Dawkins Group" -- the table made up of freelancers who played in the Tourney-- well let's just say that they faced some challenges, failed to protect the thief, had more glitches than I've ever seen, and quit while they still had their hides. (I gave them high marks for humor and baked goods though...) I'm hoping to get another team like that together for next year's tourney, and will volunteer to GM for them again.
Bull
*shakes fist at Bishop*

For the Scramble, our team was hired to protect an NPC. We're locked inside this large vault with 30-some odd other Shadowrunners plus a bunch of other NPCs. There's an undetonated "Tank shell" that was more along the lines of a small warhead in the middle of the room.

So Bishop is playing a rather broken (i.e., unbalanced) Possession mage. He's wandering around the room offering up Laes ciggarettes to anyone who will take them, and randomly possessing people. Turns out there's ALSO a couple ghosts also randomly possessing people and causing problems. And killing off the occasional NPC. So within an hour or so, the rest of teams have us all huddled in one corner, protecting our NPC target, her bodyguard, and our original contact/guide. THey know Bish is with us, and think we're behind all the trouble, and are plotting to kill us. Doesn't help that my twitchy Sammy has pretty much had guns drawn and aimed around the room for most of the night.

So naturally, we start plotting a way to deal with everyone else, one way or another. Which involves throwing up a couple barriers (We had 3 mages on the team) and detonating the bomb and hoping for the best smile.gif

It was... Interesting. Eventually things got sorted out, we survived the LARP section, and then right at the end, Bishop tries to cap our target. Thankfully, we manage to take him down, barely, POssession mages are broken I tell you! BROKEN!!! smile.gif He was being inhabited by a Force 8 Great form, I believe, for the entire night, so had like 16 dice for everything, including hardened armor. Didn't help that one of our mages had gotten knocked unonscious, so he also called up a spirit to possess him. smile.gif

But, in the end, despite TR 6, we made it out in one piece, a bit battered and bruised, but we survived, got fat paid, and I restrained myself from lopping off McQuillan's head with my monowhip, and instead cut off a pinky as a reminder. smile.gif

<grin>

Bull
BishopMcQ
By unbalanced he means mentally...
Tiger Eyes
BishopMcQ set the record for mean gms at the freelancer table for the tourney. Next year, I'm bring more cookies. smile.gif
Quince
Thanks to everyone for a great time, especially the GMs!

At the Scramble, Quince was nervous playing with the 'Primes, but is thrilled to have survived and is hoping to have lost Red Shirt status. He's also ticked that he couldn't better handle the rampant spirits, and has made a mental note to figure out a way to deal with force 8s + TR6. And what's with all these cyberzombies and cybertooths that are coming out of the woodwork these days, anyway?
Bull
Hehe... Poor Quince smile.gif He got dragged along to the table by Penguin, so we had 6 Vets (One a filthy commie-mutant-traitor!) and his newbie mage smile.gif So we dubbed him Redshirt smile.gif

However, as I said man... If you survived, you earned your name. Hence, you're Quince now. (Though it would be fun to change your title wink.gif )
LurkerOutThere
I also wanted to toss my thanks out to all the GM's and people that made the Scramble and everything else work. You all pulled it off with style and flare and I had a ton of fun. Rattler got stuck with a 5 magic user table and I hope no one at the very magic heavy larp was too badly bruised by his behavior. For the record with all the spirits and the like around I was playing my Bias: Magic Users to the hilt so I hope no-one thinks me, or him too much of a jerk. Especially after the possession compounded by the fear affect.

All in all it was outstanding fun and myself and Robin/Red will definitely be back next year.

Addendum: Our teams mission was to destroy or recover the spirit chains and bring them back to our J. Now since they were destroyed in the LARP part of the scramble our GM. In a outstanding act of improvise had Alice (one of the spirits) anchor herself to the mage on our team who she'd been possesing at the time of the destruction. Fortunately he was able to creatively use the cleaning metamagic to force her into a bottle. Bob on the other hand had possesed one of the cyberzombies who we then had to go and crater. A magic and sticknshock barrage later the zombies were down and yet another popcan was employed as a spirit fetter. So in the end we all survived, which really suprised me, and we got compensated for our time and trouble. Lots of fun all around.
Legend '09
Thanks to Happy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Titsy, and Aaron for showing me the fun of the RPG world. Sleepy, I love my name but needed to amend it on the forum. Sunshine reverted to his home geek name and online handle of Delta but Legend lives on! Don't forget Pegasus on the SECOND Saturday if you are over our way.

Thanks to Kali, Chrome Monger, Ampulus, and our decked out elf (sorry, I am blanking on your name) for guiding us through the scramble! I learned my lesson on cigs from strangers but Amp saved me. I'll pay my penance, I promise wink.gif wink.gif

Hoping to stay at attached hotel next year. Any newbie advice/pricing info?
LurkerOutThere
This was my first year doing an attached hotel. You will need to get into the system as soon as it opens up and register. Barring that theres the waiting list which is what I had to do and did in fact work for me.
TranKirsaKali
ROFL and here I was attempting to avoid spoilers on anything just in case. The Scramble was amazing. All our team wanted to do was get out of that silly room. Our scientists to rescue were in the secret Ares lab next door. And I am really glad that Kali is a purist and will not pollute her body with anything but the occasional alcoholic beverage. I was very proud of our brand new to Shadowrun Hacker and Face. Ian and his Mom (Sorry Mom, my brain is spacing right now) really did a great job being thrown into the mix. As for the team that had their objects destroyed in the live action part. . . .
Well I am sorry about that but Kali isn't. blush.gif She can't stand spirits possessing people against their will or being bound against their will. She is definitely one that revers and honor the spirits. So she had to set them free when the opportunity got to her. Drew your Satyr was great. It was a lot of fun running with you. And when Bishop says crazy he wasn't kidding. I hope I managed to put a stop to people taking your cigarettes in some small way. And dag nab it!!! Did you really have to try and dump me in the laps of our Cyberzombies? Sheesh trying to stay true to wolf and kill them while getting to my team was just not fun nyahnyah.gif! Although when Ian asked if he should work on hacking us out or helping us kill the cyberzombies I said get us out of here. And one of the wandering GMs looked at him and said ____ karma runner is running away from them. His comment was right getting us outta here. But we did manage to kill off our friends and save our scientists so all was good in the end. The whole experience was incredible and I am looking forward to doing it again. Next time Bull it might be fun to run with you instead of wanting to put your paranoid tail to sleep! LOL

And as for the Tournament, it was great too. We had a blast playing that and just seeing where the craziness took us. And I think I will shudder over the ending for years to come.
BishopMcQ
Crazy, maybe...lack of definitive sense of personality due to sharing headspace with Loa, definitely. My character was bouncing back and forth between first and third person references as the spirit's nature was closer to the surface. Everyone should also say thank you to Aaron who kept me from moving the bomb about 10 minutes into the Scramble when my team first came up with the idea of physical barriers, spirit possession and psychokinesis.

He didn't want me to kill all of the other teams immediately.

Edit: I had a lot of fun actually getting to play this year. I'm curious if I played next year if anyone would believe that I wasn't a plant...
Dashifen
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 19 2009, 01:47 PM) *
Edit: I had a lot of fun actually getting to play this year. I'm curious if I played next year if anyone would believe that I wasn't a plant...

We didn't all know you were a plant this year!
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 19 2009, 02:47 PM) *

No, you play next year and I shot you point blank again with an assault cannon first thing off grinbig.gif but out of love...
Redjack
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Aug 19 2009, 06:25 PM) *
No, you play next year and I shot you point blank again with an assault cannon first thing off grinbig.gif but out of love...
Hot Damn! Now that will bring me back to the Scramble last year.
LurkerOutThere
Well unfortunately bishop did remind me of something unpleasant.

I think that if my comlink had actually gone splat I would have probably walked out of the campaign right then and there as it felt pretty arbitrary and random "Hey look i'm a powerfull NPC caster with no actual strictures on my behavior because LOL it's a LARP and i'm one of two powerful possessing free spirits present in a 50 foot radius" i would have probably just, quietly politely walked out right then as it had been a whole night of "techs are worthless" and that would have been a fine finish to it as considering your average rigger or hacker comlink runs them anywhere from 30-60k nuyen and is absolutely vital to continuing as a character, money that you arn't likely to see again.

I vote next year we hoid the scramble in VR so that the mages can enjoy having what ability, if any they have reduced to logic puzzles and Hackers/Riggers/Metasapients whatever can enjoy actually getting to do something other then try and solve logic puzzles in a darkened room.

Unfortunately, and maybe this is just because I'm a student of human nature or because I've written LARP's before it was painfully obvious that Bishop was a plant because he was basically acting like they had no fear of getting shot by the 40 or so heavily armed criminals in the room, and there decorum suffered for it. For the record I was also in fear of getting shot and it nearly came to that at one point after I attacked the lab coated NPC (both player and character name escape me and for that I apologize) but i decided that the characters hatred of magic and the culture implications of fear for him (Yay Sioux!) over-rode anything I felt about loosing the character.

I've always felt there are two ways you keep people alive in a larp setting. These don't always work because there are people who will want to go kamikaze for reasons both good and bad. However in a campaign where people are actually attached to their characters they stand up well.
1) You impress upon the players that there are immediate and dire consequences if violence breaks out. A dance and dinner at the emperors summer residence or the like where security will pounce before your gun can clear it's holster.
2) You make the NPC's so obscenely powerful that they can't be killed.
It was clear to me that bishop was the latter and reveled in it. Which was cool, but between him and the other super powered spirit also running around and the two possesing ghosts my sense of disbelief was already snapping.

But in the end it didn't matter, hooray for implanted comlinks.

This has turned into a bit more of a rant then I would have liked it. I do want to be clear that I did appreciate the work that went into the LARP and I did have fun but I just spent much of the night feeling pretty powerless and worthless. I can't talk to people because half of them are ultra-powerfull spirits already being monopolized. I can't do anything tech based because it's been reduced to logic puzzles in low light that are also plot bearring so if i were to actually succeed or mess them up I would either kill us all or get rid of our reason for being here "before the appointed time". Unfortunately I can't even follow my usual rule of criticizing nothing unless you offer a fix because I can't think of any way to bring tech users into the larp enviroment well.
Bull
To be fair, Bishop was a plant, but he was also playing his legal Mission characters. That character just happens to be broken as all get out. The reason he wasn't that afraid was primarily the Force 8 Greatform Loa he had riding him, which gives him 16 points of hardened armor (Stacked on a bunch of normal armor), or something silly like that, against guns. And 16 counterspelling dice.

We took him down at the Tabletop portion of the game when he finally turned on us and tried to geek our NPC we were protecting, and it was a cast iron bitch to take him down. Lots of Edge and an Assault Cannon came into play.

*grumble*
LurkerOutThere
*shrug* I was told that the walls had a "force rediculous" astral ward as well to prevent stuff like that. I didn't pry because i'm a hacker who doesn't know these things, but generally that's what does curb such things in "normal" games.
BishopMcQ
Lurker--Yes, I was a plant, but my specific assignment was to screw with Bull's table and I put the group at odds with the entire room until Bull found a way to start making alliances. As Bull mentioned, the character I was playing was a fully legal Missions character that I had played before.

It demonstrated a few things:
1--with a few initiations, Possession mages become very problematic
2--The Demolish series of spells can upset a lot of people. (After casting that, I was shot at by a sniper and someone with an assault rifle)
3--The ward was a good choice for stopping people from leaving, but it didn't keep big nasty things from being called into it.
4--Banishing is very useful.

If the room had made a concerted effort to kill me, they could have. I think in the end it proved that a lot of the players were approaching my character as a head on problem rather than trying to tackle me sideways. Bull's group used a combination of DMSO chemicals, firepower, and multiple attacks to drain away my dodge pool before hitting me with the big one.

The GMs are going through a similar discussion about changes to be made for next year based on feedback from this year. I will make sure that they read through this thread as well, so please, post all your feedback positive or negative so that Aaron can pull it together.
TranKirsaKali
I know I just basically organized my team into doing what we could to just get out, and spent time entertaining myself until we could get out. Bishops character I knew was basically at my level magic wise and I had come up with a plan to take him out if it became necessary. Fortunately for me several of the other casters in the room were willing to work with me on many things. Personally he was just entertaining for me to play with. And I did not see a reason to really try and take him out. I do think it would be nice to come up with another way to resolve conflicts though. I didn't feel that I had any way to know if I should boost myself up or what should be used to do so at any given time. As for not walking around afraid of getting shot, I think there were plenty of people like that. I know that really only entered my mind after I destroyed the necklace and lighter Bishop brought to me for destruction. I know he was doing it to cause trouble too. He could have destroyed them just as easily. But hey, I love creating background to give a GM rope and see what they will do with it. Go ahead try to cause my character trouble. (and yes you can see that as a dare! lol ) The only real problem I found in the scramble was the feeling of an arbitrary nature in resolving the conflicts. And dang it! When I cast a spell people are supposed to fall over! Rats n frats n 16 dice for counter spelling. That was the closest I have ever come to fear with Kali!
LurkerOutThere
Personally i didn't see the item destruction as a problem as so far as we knew it accomplished our goals rather then really hindering. Would we have preferred to bring them in to our Johnson sure. But we also had enough magical mojo to make the mission work despite the set back so in the end i have money for rent and novacoke next week so it's ok.

Having said that and maybe I'm missing a bit of the humor as i'm just a big dumb newb but:

1)Last i checked Destroy spells don't work like that, even when you overcast them. AFB but I looked it up right after the LARP. Wen't "Huh that's what i figured" and went to bed.
2)I'm glad we could tell a story where a person with operational knowledge of what's going on and out to prove a point about possesion traditions (which lets face it have been a problem for at least two editions now) can basically set out to mess with folks, that's great.
BishopMcQ
A few questions and clarifications:

AFB--I'm not familiar with the abbreviation, can you clarify?
Demolish--How do you understand them to work? By exceeding the Object Resistance with 2 net hits, all items that the character had LoS to should have taken 14 boxes of damage. Items under coats etc would have been unaffected.

Operational Knowledge--I had minimal operational knowledge of the events, I knew there would be a bank vault and two spirits. Beyond that Aaron played his cards close to his chest and gave specific direction to each of the GMs running tables.

Possession Traditions--I wasn't out to make a point with them. That was simply the Missions character that I had. His role was to enable the rest of his runner team, keep everyone moving, and defend against enemy mages. Thus his specializations were magical defense and conjuring. Banishing enemy spirits, provide counterspelling and magical guard, and possess fallen comrades to ensure that we didn't leave a body behind. I discovered with this session how out of balance they were after investing myself with a larger spirit than normal.

As said before, this thread can be used for feedback, suggestions, and critiques about the Scramble. I think we can all agree that planting an NPC amongst the PCs should not be done in the future. Other comments?
Bull
For the record, I personally didn't mind having the "plant" in our midst. Despite the fact that a couple of our characters are pretty low on the Karma Scale (I think Rush and Caine's Rigger each only have like 20 or 30 karma total, and I think Quince was a fresh-minted character), we had a pretty badass team. So Bishop was a nice challenge and, despite our suspicions, a nice surprise at the end. I had a ball with the game, even though I was kinda stuck without much to do for large portions of it beyond waving guns around smile.gif

However, yeah, if there is any kind of "plant" next year, they should not mess with the other teams. smile.gif

All in all, good times.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 20 2009, 06:27 PM) *
AFB--I'm not familiar with the abbreviation, can you clarify?
Demolish--How do you understand them to work? By exceeding the Object Resistance with 2 net hits, all items that the character had LoS to should have taken 14 boxes of damage. Items under coats etc would have been unaffected.

Operational Knowledge--I had minimal operational knowledge of the events, I knew there would be a bank vault and two spirits. Beyond that Aaron played his cards close to his chest and gave specific direction to each of the GMs running tables.

Away from books
That was the problem Aaron forgot the LOS rule. Whiich I don't fault him for too much because rules are easy to forget but when he was drawing out a radius basically because it seemed funny it seemed like another case of super powered NPC mage messign with us.

Clearly I need to apologize, when i heard that you had both items in your possesion I'd assumed you'd had fore knowledge of our goals and had sought them out to mess with us. Unfortunate but hey I was mostly at the sitting on my hands stage of the game at that point and leaving thigns to the magic folks. I'd written you and Viktor into the "well out of my league/plot bearing NPC" area.

I think we can all agree that planting an NPC amongst the PCs should not be done in the future. Other comments?

That in particular actually didn't bother me, but then again I wasn't on the team that was on the receiving end of it, but i'm not sure it would have bothered me even if it had been the case. It's not like NPC's carry "I'm an NPC sign" It was a sense that the NPC's were all randomly great form spirits or other suitably ridiculous things that was kinda grating.
Aaron
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Aug 20 2009, 09:25 PM) *
Away from books
That was the problem Aaron forgot the LOS rule. Whiich I don't fault him for too much because rules are easy to forget but when he was drawing out a radius basically because it seemed funny it seemed like another case of super powered NPC mage messign with us.

Actually, I didn't forget about the LOS rule. I made a ruling that some folks would have their commlinks visible, some wouldn't, and rather than dragging the narration of a few seconds into more than sixty, I made a ruling that everyone's commlinks were sufficiently visible. I could have also done for image links or other electronics, but I stuck with commlinks for two reasons: it was a) something reasonably replaceable the loss of which would make people sad and b) angry at the guy that did it.

Incidentally, I hated the system I was using for task resolution. You won't be seeing it again.

To Everybody: feel free to keep the feedback coming. I'm compiling a list of "Do Same" and "Do Different" as I have every year, so we can keep adding to the awesome.
TranKirsaKali
" if there is any kind of "plant" next year, they should not mess with the other teams. "

I disagree. I do think the "plant" should be careful of who they mess with, or how they mess with new comers. But Bull why should you have all the fun? wink.gif grinbig.gif As I said before it is fun with me to be messed with. And I do think that it would in some ways make it more fun for the higher experienced players. And yes I do mean players not characters. I know that karma does effect how well you do, but low karma characters that are being run by high experienced players will do better than new comers to our fun.

BishopMcQ
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Aug 20 2009, 07:25 PM) *
Clearly I need to apologize, when i heard that you had both items in your possesion I'd assumed you'd had fore knowledge of our goals and had sought them out to mess with us. Unfortunate but hey I was mostly at the sitting on my hands stage of the game at that point and leaving thigns to the magic folks. I'd written you and Viktor into the "well out of my league/plot bearing NPC" area.

Nope, actually due to needing to protect certain people for my team, I possessed our guide and our target. Those GMs happened to be the ones who had the items. I got them from them after other characters mentioned what it was they were looking for. (Somebody mentioned a need to get a necklace, and another team was looking for a lighter...) TransKirsaKali's Wolf shaman told my character about the problem -- she didn't like spirits being bound to the place against their will -- and then my teammates (Penguin and Quince) were talking with people and Penguin told me about the items.

Once I had them, my plan had actually been to use the chains as spirit formulae and bind the free spirits. (Aaron later told me how long that would take.) Bull/Rush ordered me to destroy them so as to secure another team's word that they wouldn't kill us. I got Trans/Wolf to powerbolt them into oblivion because my offensive spells were Demolish: Electronics and Manabolt, neither of which could hurt the items. (So TransKirsaKali, I needed you to break them...I couldn't do it myself.)
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Aaron @ Aug 20 2009, 10:25 PM) *
I made a ruling that everyone's commlinks were sufficiently visible. I could have also done for image links or other electronics, but I stuck with commlinks for two reasons: it was a) something reasonably replaceable the loss of which would make people sad and b) angry at the guy that did it.

Which again just seemed like a general FU to all the actual tech people because not only does it seem unreasonable that a persons comlink would be visible, [/i]to me[i] the fact that the LOS extended BEHIND the casting mage seemed a further effort to inconvenience folks. I mean honestly, how many of us actually have our cell phone visible on us at all times? That's even before considering that your average hacker or Rigger thhat'd be 60k nuyen worth of gear and individually tracked availability programs i would have had to replace. Basically in a snap decision you decided you F over one archetype, which was further amusing because of the promimity to the clock that was where we were all standing.
TranKirsaKali
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 21 2009, 02:10 AM) *
(So TransKirsaKali, I needed you to break them...I couldn't do it myself.)

grinbig.gif It is good to be needed! LOL and coolness. It was fun to do anyway and soo completely in character for someone who reveres and cares for the spirits. I am surprised however that you do not have a power bolt spell at least. I have always considered them to be the baseline spell to buy. But then again I have never played a possession shaman before. I haven't seen what else they can end up doing in a game.

Quince
I did not catch the fact that Bishop was a plant until well after he turned on the team. I assumed he was after an Affiliation objective, and wasn't too surprised that someone in the group made a move to cap the Target. But, man, he was TOUGH to put down.

And this is pure guesswork, but I'm also anticipating more betrayal within parties as NYC affiliations heats up. It's a good question- How much are you willing to screw your team for a Corp gift, and are you up for paying the price?

On another note, I'm glad my primary Commlink is hardened (and waterproofed). I lost a couple of burner 'links- but that's what they're there for.
BishopMcQ
Quince--I don't believe it would be too far of a stretch to say that corporations will use their pawns to further agendas which may be in conflict.
Legend '09
One thing that I could use help on for next year is how to make interactions clear that I have powers as a Face. Should I have explained OOC or called in Pavao? The later seems overkill but I was hoping to get more answers from NPCs than other people even though I was a new character/player.

Legend (Fern)
LurkerOutThere
Unfortunately, and this is a failure of any LARP system not just this one, it is very hard to map out social skills and abilities to in character behavior during the larps without making them mind control.
Caine Hazen
I'd like to give a big thanks to the Saytr's team... even though it was your mission to kill off our target, you played it to the hilt and held to your deal. You even pulled down our mark when our own team forgot about her. You guys were top notch!

Sorry for my problem causing... I myself was doing"poor impulse control" to the hilt, and things were getting boring fast. I can't say I didn't egg my team on a bit, and overreact when we had spells lobbed at us. It was all good fun! You guys all played it off great.

Hope to have as much fun next year when I shoot McQ's character in the face again! And I'm going to have more toys to bring hopefully!
Bull
We seriously need to get someone local signed up as a Missions GM so we can play through a couple more before next year! smile.gif
map
Thanks to the GMS and players I played with at GenCon. I had a good time playing SRM.

Reading these posts helps me understand why Penguin (my GM at the last table I played on Sunday) roasted me for playing a Voodoo Mage. Actually I think I was roasted by the whole table, but it was all in fun, and they were a good group of players...

map
DarkLloyd
Fist off Lemme say, Aaron you and the GM's were great. My first Scramble was something I won't forget.

Thank you to all those NPC's and yeah to Bishop too... You guys would have been fun to interact with. (more on that below)

I had a blast seeing all the players going around making and breaking deals. You All were great. Especally my man Legend there, with his Bomb hackin' skillz. And Peirce; thanks for watchin out for Kali.
Bull you where entertaining to listen to. Drew/The Saytr you made the game for me. Man I hope to see you next year. (Oh and we'll bring MORE booze next time...)

As for How I felt about all the spirit sheenanegans? Well I can't say I was a part of that.
Well, besides the commlink thing. Oh and Bish, That nearly got you headcapped with that assault cannon I had. (And I couldv'e made it thru that armor.) BUT! You still had me fooled at that point, i thought you were a player, and I really didn't want to take a players' character away.
There was just way to many casters in there for Chrome's peace of mind.

My one big gripe were the logic puzzles. It was an interesting and cool idea for about the first 20 min's of futzing with them. Then they started a downhill slide into "God Almighty when will this end!!!!". And since I had, or could slot, the skill neccesary to work on both of the puzzles....that's where i was for Four hours........
Albeit with, some, interludes.
Like when Bishops group drew down on Kali. I snuck over, sat down in thier group placed a grenade on the floor(in their midst) and then took aim at the guy with the gun. All while using their group for cover. That was fun.

Or havnig Drew offer to hit me with his "Orgasm" spell and having to figure out a way to refuse the spell and still "Look tough" while Chrome was freakin' that Drew was gonna cast magic on him.

Or when Legend and the group of hackers on the bomb (I finnally just gave up on that one and stayed with the door) finally cracked it and got the disarm code. And I told him "Go disarm it. But tell everyone else that the code failed" Which leads into the most fun moment.

When whoever that was kicked the bomb and it didn't go off, in the middle of all that confusion strolling over swipeing the shell and walking back over to the door puzzle again. Listening to all te wispers about me at that point was funny as hell. Then whne the "Bums" came to shake me down for the bomb, that was cool. (I think that was Penguin and someone else. I did my best not to look at you and to concentrate on the puzzle. What Chrome would have done.)

Then, the best part for me. After the bums, the big troll guy (Sorry man i don't remember your name) came and loomed over me and I mean Loomed. (dude you're Huge!) And demanded I give up the bomb. After ignoreing him for a bit he kept geting closer to me and closer and more insistant i give him the bomb. I spun around in the chair I was kneeling on and made my hand into a gun. I put it right at his nose while teling him, "LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!! I'M TRYING TO OPEN THIS DOOR SO WE CAN GET OUT!! IF YOU DON'T, THEN I'M GONNA DROP YER ASS RIGHT HERE, FIX THAT DOOR AND THEN DRAG YOUR SORRY ASS OUT SO I CAN SELL WHAT'S LEFT!" Then I Knelt in the chair again and promtly ignored him so i could try and help with the door. We finally settle the prob by me telling him I want to keep the bomb from everyone else to keep everyone safe. He seemed to beleive that and went away. Thanks for that man, I LOVE telling that story.

And a HUGE thank you to all the people that worked on those friggen puzzles, especailly you guys on the bomb. Oh and props to the young lady who was the lead on the door lock, you kept things focused when I wanted to give up. Too bad we still ran out of time on that.
Legend '09
Just to clarify, I am the newbie face with Kali and Chrome's group. The awesome bomb disarmer is my son, character name Delta. He had just introduced me to the game that morning and now I'm hooked.

We played at our local game store this last Saturday. After GenCon and all you wonderful, experienced players, it was a bit of a let down. Delta and I were the most experience players there with 5 and 4 missions behind us respectively. But I WILL go back next month to gain more experience for next year's con. Still making newbie mistakes and bad assumptions.

People at work keep asking me what the Gen in GenCon means. Anyone?

Legend
DWC
QUOTE (Legend '09 @ Sep 16 2009, 08:44 AM) *

Gencon was originally held in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin because that was where Gygax (who organized the first one) lived. The con kept the name when it moved to larger venues and bigger cities.
CollateralDynamo
QUOTE (Legend '09 @ Sep 16 2009, 07:44 AM) *

Also, originally only miniatures war games were played there. So it was a play on "the Geneva Conventions". You know, the rules about what you can do to who in war. Ohh gamers, we're so clever.
Bull
Heh, awesome that you guys had fun. And yeah, Drew is awesome. I don't think he posts around here... I need to dig up his email address at some point and see if I can point him this way smile.gif
TranKirsaKali
Delta, I am glad we got you hooked. It is a fun game and Chrome and I like spreading the love. And don't worry as the people you play with gain in experience things will get more interesting. They always do.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (DarkLloyd @ Sep 16 2009, 04:36 AM) *
Then, the best part for me. After the bums, the big troll guy (Sorry man i don't remember your name) came and loomed over me and I mean Loomed. (dude you're Huge!) And demanded I give up the bomb. After ignoreing him for a bit he kept geting closer to me and closer and more insistant i give him the bomb. I spun around in the chair I was kneeling on and made my hand into a gun. I put it right at his nose while teling him, "LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!! I'M TRYING TO OPEN THIS DOOR SO WE CAN GET OUT!! IF YOU DON'T, THEN I'M GONNA DROP YER ASS RIGHT HERE, FIX THAT DOOR AND THEN DRAG YOUR SORRY ASS OUT SO I CAN SELL WHAT'S LEFT!" Then I Knelt in the chair again and promtly ignored him so i could try and help with the door. We finally settle the prob by me telling him I want to keep the bomb from everyone else to keep everyone safe. He seemed to beleive that and went away. Thanks for that man, I LOVE telling that story.

Heh that was some funny stuff, at the time I'd done that I'd just come out of my heebie jeebies on the fear affect the spirit had put on me so I hadn't been watching the bomb. So my thinking was "Ok what idiot has the bomb, if their going to sell it fine, if their going to try and use a tank round in here i should find them and relieve them of it before they do something to get us all killed." Walked over with Monger, and he seemed like a guy willing to fight for it which I was afraid was going to be the option (Rattler was not in a very good mood at this point having been a magical chew toy on two seperate occasions) but once it became clear that he and chrome were on the same page. THings seemed much more kosher.
DarkLloyd
Good times man. Good times. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012