Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epilogue: The Breaking Point
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Wombat
This is an OOC thread for an SR4 group based out of the Tacoma District of the Seattle Metroplex.

Character Creation Guidelines:

BP: 350 (Includes 10 BP for rolling Metatype.)

Metatype:

Roll 4d6, add up the total results of all dice and consult the table below.

*22-24 Other; includes Metavariants, Changlings, Drakes, the Infected, Sapient Critters and other Non-Metahuman Sapients, subject to GM approval.
*20-21 Dwarf or Troll
*18-19 Elf
*16-17 Ork
*4-15 Human

Increased Metatype Cost
*Ork - 35
*Dwarf - 50
*Elf - 40
*Troll - 65

Physical and Mental Attributes
*Only 150 BP may be spent on Physical and Mental Attributes.
*Base Logic + Intuition must equal at least 4.
*All Attributes must have at least 10 BP assigned to them, except for one.
*Players may not spend more than 30 BP per Attribute.

Special Attributes
*As starting characters may only purchase Latent Awakening, players may not spend BP on the Magic Special Attribute, but may increase it with Karma, in play, as normal.
*Players may not spend BP on the Edge Special Attribute. Instead, Edge begins at 1(2 for Humans) and cannot be increased with Karma, Except as noted.

Each time a character reaches a benchmark of 20, 60, 100, 160, and 250 Karma, the character's current and maximum Edge Attribute are both raised by 1.
Should a character burn Edge, their maximum Edge attribute does not decrease. However, the character must still spend Karma if they wish to restore their Edge to its maximum.
*Technomancers are not currently available for play.

Active Skills
*Starting characters must purchase at least 126 BP worth of Active skills, including specializations.
*The maximum skill rating for characters is either one skill at Rating 5 (with the rest at Rating 3 or less) or two skills at Rating 4(with the rest at Rating 3 or less). Your character cannot start with both one Rating at 5 skill and two Rating 4 skills.
*Starting characters may raise purchased skill groups to a maximum rating of 3.

Resources
*Starting characters may not have not have less than 2.6 Essence.
*For every BP invested in Gear, the character gets 5,000 nuyen to purchase weapons, armor, cyberware, and other equipment, up to a maximum of 10 BP or 50,000 nuyen.
*No piece of gear purchased at character creation can have an Availability higher than 8F, unless the Resticted Gear positive quality is purchased.
*No piece of gear purchased at character creation can have a cost greater than 5,000 nuyen.

This quality raises the Availability cap to 12F and 10,000 nuyen for a single item, each time it is purchased.

Contacts
*Characters must have at least 2 contacts.
*Characters must have at least 8 BP worth of contacts.
*Contacts are limited to a Connection/Loyalty rating of 4 or less; the contacts total cost may not exceed 6 BP.
*Group Contacts are limited to a Connection rating of 8 or less and a Loyalty rating of 4 or less; the group contact's total cost may not exceed 12 BP.

Post any specific questions below.
Wombat
Current Profiles:

Entry Format: Handle - Age Gender Metatype
*BlueCanary - 14 M Human
*Chi-Girl - 14 F Human
*MithrilGear - 14(as of August 23rd) M Human
*Octopiii - 19 M Dwarf

This is what I've got for a reasonable starting point, I hope nobody has any issues with the ages. Let me know if you do. These are roughly equivalent to the differences between the players' ages. The IC starting date will be Aug. 23, 2064.Concepts should be oriented around drekhead drop-outs, bangers, go-gangers, urchins and other refuse from the streets.
Wombat
Wandering the streets just northeast of Touristville, the group has happened upon a lucky find. A place to live that, with a little work, might be respectable and survivable.

Comforts: The group cannot choose higher than Low for Comforts. "We need more beds...and a new kitchen sink."
Entertainment: The group cannot choose higher than Squatter for Entertainment. "We're in a pretty tough static zone, but if we can get enough toasters..."
Necessities: The group cannot choose higher than Squatter for Necessities. "I think I heard about some people in the area pulling a tap off that old corps facility...::stomach growling::...is anyone else hungry?"
Neighborhood: Street (0 LP) [Most of the Barrens] "It ain't quite as good as Touristville, but it ain't a Z-zone."
Security: The group cannot choose higher than Squatter for Security. "I saw some big guys in red synth-leather jackets a couple blocks over..."

Appropriate Lifestyle Qualities include:
Positive
Escape Tunnel +3, Hasty Exit +2, Homegrown Farming +1, Inconspicuous Housing(Physical) +2, No neighbors +1, Privacy Screen +1 per level (Physical or Astral), Quiet Neighborhood +1, Security Conscious +2, or Workplace +1
Negative
Ambusher’s Delight -3, Black Hole -2/-4, Crash Pad -1, Green Plan -1, Lax Security -2, No Privacy -1 (Physical or Astral), Pest Magnet -1/-3, Poor Condition -1, Rough Neighborhood -1, Unsound/Unsafe -2/-3, or Worse Neighbors -1

Unless the Lifestyle is permanently purchased, ownership of the lifestyle will still be contested by local groups and/or individuals.
Wombat
Notable things/places in the Redmond Barrens that might be handy to know about or have friends in:

Criminal Elements
*Yakuza
*Gianelli Mafia
*Komun'go Ring
*Triads
*Crimson Crush
*Rusted Stilettos
*162's
*First Nations

Work
*Smuggling
*Hooding

Locales
*Aces
*Glow City
*Plastic Jungles
*Body Mall
*The Rat's Nest
*The Verge
Wombat
Street Cred increases when the PC reaches a benchmark of 20, 60, 100, 160, and 250 Karma.
Notoriety follows the rules on page 265, SR4A.
Public Awareness will be determined by the GM as the results of the PC's actions, rather than by the standard formula.
A character's overall Reputation score is equal to Street Cred - Notoriety, the meanings of which can be found on the table below. Street Cred cannot be burned off to reduce Notoriety, only time spent laying low can reduce aspects of a character's Reputation.

-3 Pariah. You've committed a screw up that is truly awe inspiring. People know you, but they also know that powerful people will pay good cash for your head on a plate. Leaving the country seems like a good idea.

-2 Write-Off. You've screwed up big time. Even your fixer is unlikely to return your calls. People with means to do so want you dead. Chances are skipping town is your best bet.

-1 Drek-head. Johnsons are reluctant to work with you, jobs are going to suck and generally be few and far between. Damage control is an order.

0 No rep, You're either a relative unknown just starting out or you've done something to tick some people off. Nothing that can't be fixed but you'd probably want to get on that before things get worse.

1 Streetsmart. Johnson’s and fixers are starting to take notice. You've at least proved that you won't completely drek up jobs.

2 ShadowPunk. It's starting to look like there is something to you. You're a regular team in your fixers stable and he knows you can be trusted to be discreet and efficient. The smaller street gangs know that it's not worth their time or broken bones to screw with you.

3 ShadowRunner. You’re a pro. The jobs come fast and furious and you likely spend most of your time working for favorite Johnson’s. You’re pretty well known locally and for the most part well liked.

4 Veteran. By now the Johnson’s are competing with each other to hire you. You can’t exactly write your own paycheck but you’re definitely moving into a sellers market. Everyone but the major crime syndicates knows you’re not someone to be trifled with. You probably have dirt on or favors owed from some fairly important figures though not likely anyone with much influence beyond the metroplex area.

5 Prime Runner. You’re top of the heap now. Probably one of the best runners in Seattle. Some people are even starting to wonder why you haven’t retired. Yakuza Oyuban and Mafia dons (not to mention some important corporate figures) are in your pocket.

6 ShadowGod. Fastjack, Hatchetman, Captain Chaos, You. Pretty much that simple.
Octopiii
Grub:

[ Spoiler ]

Grub makes his living buying scavenged/repaired equipment from the scavengers in the Rat's nest, and either sells them outright or trades them for drugs at the predominately meta-community located at the plastic gardens. He then takes the drugs/money back to the Rats Nest. He gets his protection from the Red Hot Nukes, the dwarven go-gang that operates around Highway 202/NE Redmond Barrens area. Grub hates elves. (don't we all?)

Not sure how we want to do lifestyle.

EDIT: Fixed knowledge skills.
MithrilGear
(Tentative Concept)

I'm thinking of playing a kid named Goggles, named so for the set of goggles he never seems to be without. He just turned 14 but already knows the horrors of the world and will spare no quarter in sparing his sister (who isn't related to him) from ever seeing the harsher ones. He knows his way around machines and cars and tends to head out to Rat's Nest to salvage parts to fix up the building he currently resides in and to make some nuyen. He also heads to the Plastic Jungle to purchase seeds and other such items to help with the vegetable garden project he started.

MithrilGear
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Aug 20 2009, 08:59 PM) *
Grub:

[ Spoiler ]

Grub makes his living buying scavenged/repaired equipment from the scavengers in the Rat's nest, and either sells them outright or trades them for drugs at the predominately meta-community located at the plastic gardens. He then takes the drugs/money back to the Rats Nest. He gets his protection from the Red Hot Nukes, the dwarven go-gang that operates around Highway 202/NE Redmond Barrens area. Grub hates elves. (don't we all?)

Not sure how we want to do lifestyle.

Well personally I would like to see the PC all living in one building, pooling our resources and all that good stuff. I think Grub and Goggles could have a good relationship out of it, with them both having an interest in Rat's Nest and the Plastic Jungles.
Octopiii
The way I see Grub is that he grew up in the Rat's Nest, and clawed his way out to live in the (relatively) nice community of the Plastic Jungles. He has a tenuous connection with the Red Hot's, mainly because he's a dwarf who lives near their territory. He pays them for protection/transportation on his runs between the Nest and the Jungle, which they are willing to do mainly because of his race, and they get their pick of weapons/vehicles. He's ashamed of where he comes from; but his knowledge of the nest and his natural resistance to diseases gives him a niche that he can exploit. Because he managed to get his way out via his talent he has a somewhat dim view of people who passively accept their fate; his end goal is to become rich and comfortable.

I hope for him to awaken as a Gator shaman (that mentor spirit's flaw fits well with his character) but we will see.
Octopiii
QUOTE (MithrilGear @ Aug 20 2009, 08:22 PM) *
Well personally I would like to see the PC all living in one building, pooling our resources and all that good stuff. I think Grub and Goggles could have a good relationship out of it, with them both having an interest in Rat's Nest and the Plastic Jungles.

Likely, but I was referring to what qualities we want to take re: lifestyle.
Octopiii
I am thinking Green Plan -1, Rough Neighborhood -1, Poor Condition -1, Worse Neighbors -1, Home Grown Farming + 1, Workplace + 1, Security Conscious +2. That adds up to even, which puts us at Street level still, I believe?

Chi-Girl
(Tentative Concept)

Okay, I don't have much time to type up all of it right now, but from what I have so far. I'm thinking of playing a character named "Vic", Vic isn't too big about talking about her past and constantly claims that she likes it in the barrens and wouldn't have it any other way. Despite her claims, Vic tries to earn money at any chance that she has to save up for a rainy day. Vic likes to think of herself as a free spirit, but has already known more problems in her 14 years then some wage slaves will ever know...

I'm still working on it, but there's the real basic stuff that I have.
MithrilGear
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Aug 20 2009, 09:44 PM) *
I am thinking Green Plan -1, Rough Neighborhood -1, Poor Condition -1, Worse Neighbors -1, Home Grown Farming + 1, Workplace + 1, Security Conscious +2. That adds up to even, which puts us at Street level still, I believe?

That sounds good to me although the Neighbors and Worse Neighbors qualities could very much bone us, but considering where we are they fit the scenario.
Wombat
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Aug 20 2009, 08:44 PM) *

The only aspect set in stone thus far is the neighborhood. Y'all still need to decide the specifics. I'll say that the building is currently off the grid with no power or running water, but does have a mostly intact utility infrastructure. For the full Green Plan, you would need to acquire a generator, solar panels, or similar device for power and either rig a tap into another water line, or set up a water collection system of some sort. Home Grown Farming; your contacts in the Plastic Jungles are willing to either barter with you for what you need to get started, or give it to you in exchange for some labor. You'll also need to clear some space for the "garden" itself.
BlueCanary
So this is what I was thinking for a basic concept, let me know what you guys think. The character's name is Duke, he is only 14 but knows from experience that the world is an ugly place. He's had to do a lot of things to survive in the Barrens but has carved a niche for himself in Touristville. Duke is a Joy boy and is both embarrassed and ashamed of his work, which feeds his self loathing and general contempt for others of his profession . In fact, if asked about what he does for money, he will lie outright. The only person who knows what he really does is Goggles, and the only reason for that is because he needs a ride to "work" and Goggles has helped take care of him when a John gets carried away. Duke has another great shame in his life that absolutely no one knows about. He has a moderate addiction to Bliss, finding it as the only way to escape his miserable life if only for a few hours. Duke simply wants to save up enough to get the hell out of the Barrens and never have to "work" again, other than that he wants to make the home he shares with the others as safe and comfortable as possible.
Digital Heroin
Color me interested, but I don't get back to serious book time until tomorrow, and I've got a pro grade character to polish. Still, should only be a day before I get seriously building, and I've got three weeks off coming up.
MithrilGear
I would like us to go without the Poor Condition quality, just on a preferred basis. I'm going to be taking ratings in Industrial Mechanic and Engineering, so I between Goggles and his contacts at the Plastic Jungles and Rat's Nest he would be able to rig up water and power to the building.

Octopiii
So, if we take everything at "Squatter" level except for neighborhood, drop Poor Condition, that leaves us with a 5 LP lifestyle; 500 nuyen per month. If we all share it, it increases by 10% per character after the first, or 30%. (Sorry Digital Heroin, unless you live in the Puget Sound region...). That makes 650 per month, divided by 4, so (rounding up), 163 nuyen a month per runner. We have an effective Space and Food rating two levels higher (Middle). We eat very well with fresh food from the garden and have room for Goggles to ply his trade as a mechanic and for Grub to store his inventory. The Security Conscious quality indicates that there are some holes in the walls we can use as impromptu murder holes should we be attacked.

Our garden is probably irrigated naturally from runoff we divert from rooftop gutters. I imagine we have an old, landline phone for the house that we've patched into a cable to allow us to take calls and a shitty generator to keep the phone powered.

We are likely next door to a gang hangout; and we probably pay for protection (which would explain 90% of our monthly lifestyle cost). They probably party a lot; but hey, at least Grub and Duke have a constant pool of clientele nearby!

So Grub and Goggles probably know each other from the Rat's Nest and have likely bartered with each other before; how do we know the other two characters? Grub is probably the most traveled character; so feel free to use him to get you into the group. One idea I have is to say that Grub is trying to increase his bottom line from his nascent business, so he's taken up with some partners and trying to cut out the middle men (the Red Hots) on his travels so he can keep the really good stuff. Duke and Vic can be security/pack mules while Goggles is the talent. This also puts us into future conflict with a dwarven go-gang who specialize in explosives, so we shouldn't get too attached to our home smile.gif. Also, Grub is a drug dealer, which is another good way for the characters backgrounds to meet.
Wombat
QUOTE (Wombat @ Aug 20 2009, 10:10 PM) *
The only aspect set in stone thus far is the neighborhood. Y'all still need to decide the specifics. I'll say that the building is currently off the grid with no power or running water, but does have a mostly intact utility infrastructure. For the full Green Plan, you would need to acquire a generator, solar panels, or similar device for power and either rig a tap into another water line, or set up a water collection system of some sort. Home Grown Farming; your contacts in the Plastic Jungles are willing to either barter with you for what you need to get started, or give it to you in exchange for some labor. You'll also need to clear some space for the "garden" itself.

Read as "Green Plan and Home Grown Garden need to be acquired in play." It gives you guys a couple sessions of low level runs that can let the group get adjusted to each other. But, given what I've seen in the thread, at least you guys understand what you would need to do.
Octopiii
Quick Point: We need to make sure we have someone with First Aid.
Chi-Girl
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Aug 22 2009, 04:38 PM) *
Quick Point: We need to make sure we have someone with First Aid.

Don't worry, I think that we have at least one person with First Aide... What else do we need?
Chi-Girl
Hey, I need some help thinking of a couple more knowledge skills.
Chi-Girl
Okay, so we have bits of a generator, one and a half solar panels, and enough wood to actually start building a fence... but how are we going to get things back from the concrete jungle? I know that Googles has a bike and a juryrigged cart, but is that really going to survive traveling there with four and a half people (and the half is the kid, not you Grub)?
Octopiii
We may have to finagle a truck or other automobile. What do you guys think about getting started on a career in hijacking? We're going to need to ferry large amounts of soil from the jungles, so the cart is not going to cut it.

Or, we could always trade the kid for something useful...
Wombat
Moving the IC chatter to the IC thread.
Octopiii
As an aside, I would like to say that the Eclipse Phase PDF has been released under a license that allows unlimited sharing. Jay and I are pretty excited about it, and I thought I would gauge the interest of the rest of our group. It's a simpler system with a really interesting (imo) setting - I had a ton of ideas just reading how ego transfers worked.
Chi-Girl
I've never heard of it. What kind of system is it?
Digital Heroin
Too slow on this one, was I?
Wombat
When do we want to do the next game? I'm thinking the 6th or 7th?
Octopiii
6th is good; as is this sunday actually.
Octopiii
QUOTE (Chi-Girl @ Aug 26 2009, 09:32 PM) *
I've never heard of it. What kind of system is it?

I think Kai has the PDF now.

Let me do the copy/paste routine:

Your mind is software. Program it.
Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.
Extinction is approaching. Fight it.

Eclipse Phase is a post-apocalyptic game of conspiracy and horror. Humanity is enhanced and improved, but also battered and bitterly divided. Technology allows the re-shaping of bodies and minds, but also creates opportunities for oppression and puts the capability for mass destruction in the hands of everyone. And other threats lurk in the devastated habitats of the Fall, dangers both familiar and alien. In this harsh setting, the players participate in a cross-faction conspiracy called Firewall that seeks to protect transhumanity from threats both internal and external. Along the way, they may find themselves hunting for prized technology in a gutted habitat falling from orbit, risking the hellish landscapes of a ruined earth, or following the trail of a terrorist through militarized stations and isolationist habitats. Players may even find themselves stepping through a Pandora Gate, a wormhole to distant stars and the alien secrets beyond.

ECLIPSE PHASE: THE SYSTEM
• Eclipse Phase uses a d100/percentile system, with some twists. It’s fast and simple; streamlined so players can dive into the world and action without being burdened by complex rules.
• Characters are skill-based, with no classes, so players can customize their team roles and specialize in fields of their choosing.
• A focused set of psi rules enables some characters to enhance their cognitive abilities.

ECLIPSE PHASE: FOR PLAYERS
• Play a role in a secretive and dangerous conspiracy that seeks to save transhumanity.
• Switch your body at will, from genetically modified transhumans to synthetic robotic shells, optimizing your character for specific missions.
• Back up your character's mind and be restored from backup in case of death--a built-in system of "save points" and functional immortality.

ECLIPSE PHASE: FOR GAMEMASTERS
• A setting custom-built for numerous scenario types, from faction-based intrigues to high-tech dungeon-crawls, from mind-scarring mysteries to dangerous exploration of alien worlds via wormhole gates.
• An eclectic assortment of intriguing factions, from techno-anarchists to future-chasing hypercorps, from soul-trading criminals to uplifted animals.
• A range of NPC antagonists to choose from, including rogue AIs, extreme posthuman factions, standoffish aliens with their own agenda and transhumans infected and transformed by the virulent Exsurgent virus.

ECLIPSE PHASE: CREATIVE COMMONS
• The text and most art of Eclipse Phase “the rules and setting“ is available under the Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
• This gives fans the ability to create and share free Eclipse Phase material. Whether it's homebrew adventures or hacks and remixes of the Eclipse Phase rules--go for it!

The setting starts 10 years after rogue AIs wiped out most of humanity (zzzz, I know). Most of humanity survived only as digital copies (called infomorphs) without a body (this is where I get more interested). Since there now exists a definite line between the self and the body, you can pretty much change your body at will as long as you have access to a suitable replacement and/or resources to procure one; alternatively, you can simply remain as an infomorph (or be forced to stay as one until you earn enough resources to gain a new body). The bodies can be robotic, bio-engineered, animalistic, or specially designed for certain environments/jobs. There's more to the setting, but the essential gist is the ability to swap out your physical bodies at will, or against your will, and how this has changed human culture.

It's a fun concept, and gets rid of the fear of PC death, since the physical aspects are clearly less important than the mental. The standard setting assumes that PCs are part of a shadowy organization called Firewall, where they basically act like Shadowrunners for an organization that may or no may not have humanities best interests in mind. Since you're an operative for Firewall, you can assume that at the least they will resleeve you into a new body where you will only lose the memory between your last backup and your death; at best they retreive the stored memories of your last body so you don't lose any memory at all.
Chi-Girl
Sounds cool. I'll have to look into it when I get a chance.
Wombat
accidental post
Chi-Girl
So, I need some help coming up with what two of my contacts do. we looked at them again after game and found that they just don't seem to work with my concept. do you guys have any ideas?
Octopiii
It seems your character still has some contacts out-of-district despite having left to get away from that culture; but what about in-district contacts? How do you get food, shelter, protection? Did you spend time in touristville before heading deeper in the barrens? What would you have done there?
Wombat
Due to unexpected circumstances and classes starting up at the end of the month, I've got to put the SR4 game on hold until everything is sorted out. Eclipse Phase is still good to go though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012