Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Professional Grade OOC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rob
Professional Grade

Welcome to the professional grade campaign. Looking forward to working this with yall!

IC thread
Recruiting thread

Before you drop into the IC, each person on the list needs to post once with their character sheet, so I can keep it all at the front and have somewhere to look for stuff without searching. After that, feel free to post whatever OOC questions/comments/concerns you have.

When you're posting something specific for me, post @Rob (bold, red) to get my attention.

IC posting format
[ Spoiler ]

Post your character sheets in the following format. Get it straight, but don't spend forever reformatting stuff before you post IC. Good formatting should be a convenience, less a show-stopper:
[ Spoiler ]
rob
Campaign Timeline

4 April 2070, 21:15 - The first meet.
11 April 2070, 17:00 through 13 April 2070, 22:00 - The Puget Sound and Pacific Northwest Regional Watershed Sustainability and Development Conference

Background events
15 July 2069, on or about - Will left Seattle
3 November 2069, 11:17-13:35 - Riot, Seattle County Municipal Jail
17 October 2069, 03:21-07:55 - Bayer-Glaxo Raid, Redmond

Dearly and Not-So-Dearly Departed
Wayland, 21:15 4 April 2070 - AI, went to ground in the matrix, whereabouts unknown. Knows Will is in Seattle, the date of the meet, and a matrix code to the meet, nothing else.
Jabbar Lightfoot, on or about October 2069 - Fixer, had lots of datasteal jobs, whereabouts unknown.
Pony - Rigger, killed in Bayer-Glaxo raid
Primate - Muscle, killed in Bayer-Glaxo raid
Chuckie - Corrupt coast guard agent, killed in Jail riot while awaiting sentencing
rob
Cast of Shadows

Player Characters:
BlackHat - Artisan
Crizh - Mataglap
Digital Heroin - The Suit
Marwynn - Jairus
Mickle - Tallon
Red-ROM - Max

Affiliates:
Will - Company man, organization unknown.
Breach - Will's bodyguard.
Gabriel - The Suit's bodyguard
Jill - Jairus's Ex-Wife

Targets:
Dr. Fischer - UCAS Environmental Protection Agency Office of Power Regulation

Locations:
Puget Sound Maritime Credit Union Building, 4th & Evergreen, Snohomish - Half abandoned office building with a Bennigan's on the first floor. Location of the first meet.
Salish Embassy Conference Building, Council Island - location of the PSPNRWDSC.
The Venetian, Downtown Seattle - Conference hotel
The Hilton, Downtown Seattle - Conference hotel
White Alder Condominiums, N 36th Street, Tacoma - Max's residence
Manuel Morris' Apartment, Sur Mere, Near The Barrens - one of Jairus's safehouses
On the Greens Condominiums, 17526 151 Ave SE, Renton, Seattle - the Suit's residence
rob
Award logs

Everyone, 16 September 2009
[ Spoiler ]

Everyone, 1 October 2009
[ Spoiler ]
Marwynn
Jairus

EDIT: Minor changes/updates. Filled in more things.
Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities
[ Spoiler ]

Wares
[ Spoiler ]

Adept Powers
[ Spoiler ]

EQUIPMENT
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Game Information
[ Spoiler ]

Awards
[ Spoiler ]
Red-ROM
Max Broman (reformated)

Character Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Game Information:
[ Spoiler ]

Awards:
[ Spoiler ]
Summerstorm
Wayland, the Smith
Character Information:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Game Information:
[ Spoiler ]

Awards:
[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
Will clean up the formatting in a bit, too

Artisan
Character sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Game information:
[ Spoiler ]

Awards:
[ Spoiler ]
Mickle5125
Tallon
Character Information:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Game Information
[ Spoiler ]

Awards
[ Spoiler ]
crizh
Not done yet, will finish tomorrow.

Changed vehicles somewhat, didn't like the medical drone and needed to save money. I've given them all Pimped ride 'cos I've decided I really like the Steampunk armour and want to kit out all my vehicles in the same idiom. If you've seen the image floating around the net of the steampunk R2D2 then you know what I mean.

Mataglap

Character sheet:

[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Game information:
[ Spoiler ]

Awards:
[ Spoiler ]
Digital Heroin
Jared Engles

Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:

Armor:
[ Spoiler ]

On Hand:
[ Spoiler ]

At Home:
[ Spoiler ]

Vehicle:
[ Spoiler ]

Comlink:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Misc:
[ Spoiler ]

Awards:
[ Spoiler ]
rob
Excellent. We're down to business, then. Post up IC and OOC at will, and we'll get the meet rolling along as the people trickle in. Note that you will probably rapidly begin making new contacts and/or gaining access to certain funds, so as the game starts rolling we'll have to keep good notes.

Note, also, that now's the time to post your starting cash up.
BlackHat
Will get Artisan's IC post together today or tomorrow - although I intend him to arrive "fashionably late", even if I end up posting before others get to it.

I had asked earlier in the recruitment thread, but:

1) Any objection to taking average starting cash, rather than rolling?
2) As far as rolling goes, what is your preferred method for us to do that? Invisible castle?
rob
1) Average starting cash = 3.5*number of D6, round down to nearest $100? fine.
2) Invisible castle is my preferred method, otherwise I'm ambivalent.
BlackHat
Artisan will just have his commlink, trod-band, credstick, and clothing with him. No weapons, and no armor beyond whatever is built into the clothing he had nanofaxed over this morning. Average starting cash would be the 27,000 in his char-sheet (legitimate money, so tied to his SIN).

I intentionally put him a little late to the party. If things got started without him, that's fine, otherwise, if Will is willing to wait for him, awesome. biggrin.gif
rob
@Marwynn - roll some dice for assensing Will.

@Blackhat - I'll wait until more people post up to move you in. I can't see anyway to introduce you yet without modding their reactions.
BlackHat
QUOTE (rob @ Sep 7 2009, 07:01 PM) *
@Blackhat - I'll wait until more people post up to move you in. I can't see anyway to introduce you yet without modding their reactions.

No problem. My fault for wanting to be late. wink.gif
Mickle5125
sorry bout being tardy. Was off helping my parents around the house all weekend. Stupid surgeries...
Marwynn
QUOTE (rob @ Sep 7 2009, 07:01 PM) *
@Marwynn - roll some dice for assensing Will.

Oh yeah, I actually forgot that part.

[ Spoiler ]
rob
@All - with the posting colors, I put out the names of the colors so it's easy. Just type in <color=salmon> for speech, <color=cyan> for thinking or telepathing or whatever; etc. (except replace the less-than/greater-thans with brackets.) There's a couple of yall who are using them right and a couple not, and I can usually figger it out from context, but the point is so I don't have to.
crizh
I haven't forgotten you honest. I'm nearly done my opening post but I don't have time to finish it tonight so I'll post it in the morning.

That'll be about six or seven hours from now I reckon....
rob
@Crizh - I'm annoyed as hell by your first post. Let me count the ways:
1. Software package - those prices aren't right. The availability numbers on them aren't right. I can find nowhere where you rolled for starting cash. I've already mentioned problems with your equipment, and then you want to tell me you can get all this crap in 8 minutes? Through a contact? With loyalty 1? For stuff your character needs to make his concept viable? That defies both sense and the intent of character generation.
2. Chemicals - my ass you made 130 kgs of rating 15 foam explosive. I have no idea what kind of threshold you're assuming for these, what your dice level is, etc. You purchased 80 kgs of rating 4 foam explosive precursors at the start. Right at the start you're making me suspicious of your bookkeeping, and I'm pissed that I have to investigate it.
3. The data search for common interest is 6; limited interest is 12. I don't care if you get 25 hits on an extended test, you're not getting "hidden information" unless you're actively looking for specifics. Roll against the threshold you're trying to search for information on, not the threshold for "whatever I think I can get." And what is this "active search" modifier?
4. EM sense: Which of the several bioware/cyberware/nanoware/etc. things are you using as the basis for your EM sense? Most of them have a range of 1m, so unless you want to get up in that troll's personal space, you're not gonna get much from it. Plus, you'll be walking within his personal space and looking him up and down, which (where I come from) is a veritable invitation to get your ass kicked, and I'm a lot more patient than most of the professional bodyguards I know.
5. Astral perception/general perception rolls: Again, don't give me a 'looking for stuff.' I need specifics, and intent, of the things that you're looking for. I think I figured it out in my response, (i.e., general security assessment of the hall and rooms, specific assessment of the troll) but I shouldn't have to figure that out.

You've twigged all my munchkin alarms, and that annoys me. Don't try to roll stuff pass me, or handwave things away. If I have to spend an hour or so reading through multiple sourcebooks to figure out why you're doing what you're doing, then I don't want to GM you. If you can't write a post that treats something significant (like a 30-thousand-dollar-purchase of highly illegal software) AS something significant, then you shouldn't be in this game.
BlackHat
I can't speak for anyone else's intentions, but i might be able to point you at where I think he might have been coming from with some of this. For most of these, it might just be that the relevant rule is in some obscure sourcebook, may be entirely optional, or may be a rule that Rob doesn't intend to use (which would probably affect the viability of someone who planned on making use of it).

QUOTE (rob @ Sep 8 2009, 04:27 PM) *
1. Software package - those prices aren't right. The availability numbers on them aren't right. I can find nowhere where you rolled for starting cash. I've already mentioned problems with your equipment, and then you want to tell me you can get all this crap in 8 minutes? Through a contact? With loyalty 1? For stuff your character needs to make his concept viable? That defies both sense and the intent of character generation.

My guess is that he is trying to use the rules from Unwired that lets you find programs without the copyright stuff at 10% cost, and very quickly. Not sure if the rule is optional, or intended to be cannon, but I've seen this come up in a few games where it is much cheaper/easier to get programs within an hour of the game starting, than to buy them at char-gen. I think the intervals are in minutes (or maybe even combat rounds) so even high availability programs (like reality filters) don't take too long to track down.

In terms of why its only viable this way, the consensus is that its crazy to hack with programs that are not cracked, but cracked programs degrade too quickly to ever be purchased at full price. (Spending 100K every month or two just to maintain status quo). Since the books never specifically say that cracked programs are any cheaper at character-creation, its usually best to wait and track them down in game using cheap legal common-use programs. Your costs go from 100K to 10K, but its 10K you have to respend every few months to maintain them.

Of course, I've never been in a PbP game that has lasted more than a month or two.
2. Chemicals - my ass you made 130 kgs of rating 15 foam explosive. I have no idea what kind of threshold you're assuming for these, what your dice level is, etc. You purchased 80 kgs of rating 4 foam explosive precursors at the start. Right at the start you're making me suspicious of your bookkeeping, and I'm pissed that I have to investigate it.

Ditto. Arsenal has lots of rules for cooking up explosives. I have not really boned up on them, but i've been in a few games with people who have, and unlike programming your own code, it seems to be a pretty simple task to cook up your own chemicals (interval shorter than the months used for programming).
4. EM sense: Which of the several bioware/cyberware/nanoware/etc. things are you using as the basis for your EM sense? Most of them have a range of 1m, so unless you want to get up in that troll's personal space, you're not gonna get much from it. Plus, you'll be walking within his personal space and looking him up and down, which (where I come from) is a veritable invitation to get your ass kicked, and I'm a lot more patient than most of the professional bodyguards I know.

There is a metagenic quality for EM-sense in Runner's Companion. Range is based off of essence, I think. There is also a technomancer ability that does the same thing (based off of resonance) but I assume that is not what he wanted.

crizh
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Sep 8 2009, 10:10 PM) *
There is a metagenic quality for EM-sense in Runner's Companion. Range is based off of essence, I think. There is also a technomancer ability that does the same thing (based off of resonance) but I assume that is not what he wanted.

For the record, there are a number of new mundane senses in Running Wild p204-206.

Looking at the Metagenic quality I probably would have been better using that if I could have found a way to shoe-horn it in. Ce la vie.
rob
@Crizh - still don't know which electronic sense you're working on, though... I looked through augmentation, the core book, street magic, etc. What one are you using? I just need some rules to pin it to.
Red-ROM
the cracked programs can be found super fast. However, finding a black market server takes days. and weather that server has the program your looking for is up to the gm, I doubt one sever has every program in the book. Thats what I was told when I used it in a game anyway.

@rob: yeah, I read the color thing after I posted, but I fixed it. Also, am I halucinating or did you go back and change the troll's reponse to Max? I was rereading it, and I don't remember it being that hostile. should I have rolled an ettiquette check or something? Here's one for assessing how to behave in the meeting Charisma 6 + etiquette 5 =1 hit (two 1's)
wow, that was a crap roll

edit: I thought we had a lack of magic, yet everyone seems to be asteraly percieving.Just an observation.
rob
@Red-Rom - I did change it, since you changed the color of something I thought was internal monologue to spoken. Hence, the different response. Don't worry about it, though.

As for magic, yep, we got lots of adepts, but not a single person who can cast a spell or summon a spirit.
Red-ROM
@rob: kewl. Hey I did update my character to do a little summoning with the 33 points. the points didn't go far, but I got my foot in the door to being a mage anyway.
crizh
QUOTE (rob @ Sep 9 2009, 03:34 AM) *
@Crizh - still don't know which electronic sense you're working on, though... I looked through augmentation, the core book, street magic, etc. What one are you using? I just need some rules to pin it to.

I'm using the one I mentioned above in Running Wild. It's just the same as the Metagenetic version in RC but does indeed only have a range of 1m. You pretty much have to get close enough to shake hands with someone to scan them but you don't need to climb into their pants or anything.

rob
QUOTE (crizh @ Sep 9 2009, 04:49 PM) *
I'm using the one I mentioned above in Running Wild. It's just the same as the Metagenetic version in RC but does indeed only have a range of 1m. You pretty much have to get close enough to shake hands with someone to scan them but you don't need to climb into their pants or anything.

You can take the RC version and get more range if you feel like it. No skin off my back, esp. since it's functionally identical to a 600 nuyen piece of equipment.
Digital Heroin
Sorry about the tardy reply. Been on leave, cultivating an Aion addiction, and sleeping like hell.

Jared had Gabriel buy him two throw-away commlinks, one of which is now active and on him. I have edited his sheet in this thread to reflect that, as well as taking average starting cash, deducting the 600 nuyen for the commlinks, and distributing it amongst his various accounts and commlinks.
rob
@Digital heroin - Such is life. Good call with the bodyguard. Elegant way to do it.

@Crizh - I like what you did with the purchases, and the way you put it out IC. I read the chemistry rules as going a simple 1:1 for precursor to chemical - so you would have 2kgs of plastique rather than 20, and up to 50 doses of Freezefoam. The grades of tools I read as letting you build more at the same time, rather than multiplying the amount each ingredient builds. I admit that the rules on ingredients are extremely unclear. If you think I'm hamstringing the utility of the chemistry skill, wait and see - you'll have more than enough uses for it later.

@All - Post IC if you have any security concerns before the meet starts. I'll be out of town this weekend, so we'll get down to brass tacks either
Sunday or monday.
crizh
That doesn't work out mathematically. The explosive pre-cursors table makes many of the pre-cursors more expensive than the explosives themselves.

I'm easy if you want to run it that way, I'll just change it to something cheap and cheerful like ANFO.
Red-ROM
for folks observing Max:

perception: -4 to spot hold out pistol, not much else of interest

Judge intentions: (vs. charisma + will = 1 hit) He's excited to work with this level of people, and he's high on nova coke

assensing: 1)healthy , excited, Awakened 2) no cyberware 3) magic 5, high on coke
rob
@crizh - you're right. That don't make no damn sense. I'll send 'em an email and look through the rules discussion thread. Till then, you can either take 5 kilos of rating 15 plastique or 200 liters (a 55 gallon drum) of ANFO. Your choice, depending on the kind of bombs you want... But, ANFO is a good time.

WRT the other chemicals, purchased at the 10% precursor price - those I'll stick to the 1:1 ratio precursor to chemical on. It makes sense in those cases.

As far as the chemicals go, I have no problem with any of them except the Shade and Little Smoke (which require exotic reagents, purchased using the street magic rules. If it comes up, I will probably extend the utility of those reagents); the 'Zero', which is a pharmaceutical and would require a more advanced chemistry set than you got; and the freezefoam, which would require you to jerry rig or purchase something to store it in and some way to make it so it doesn't freeze up your chem lab.
crizh
ANFO it is then. Unless you fancy house-ruling stat's for ANNM grinbig.gif .

On a more careful reading of the header text of Magical Compounds it transpires that Little Smoke and Shade are both made with Enchanting rather than Chemistry. I don't have Enchanting, yet, so I'll take them out.

Mr Fix has two tanks built in. I was intending to use one for storing wi-fi inhibiting paint and the other for Freeze Foam. I suppose I could purchase specific equipment for filling pressurised containers, empty deodorant cans for example, but I'd have to make it up. I already picked up a Vacuum Sealer for packaging explosives and I was assuming that a Chemistry Shop is capable of dealing with reactions that require unusual atmospheres and pressures.
Summerstorm
@Rob Ah... sorry to not post for this long time... Umm... it seems i am not able to post steadily for the time being. So i have to retreat from this game. Just ignore me, or make me an NPC, or let me decline the offer or such. I am very sorry for withdrawing myself, but i am having difficulties right now. (multiple ones, not only much to do, but also erratic times, muchmuchmuch to do and maybe some time away from home without internet) I didn't think it would be like that when i applied to the game.

@All Sorry if i may have interupted your game (and took a slot which someone else could have used), won't happen again. Have fun and please don't kill me.

Again: very sorry for the inconvinience and the late reply.

Summerstorm
BlackHat
For anyone observing Artisan (I'll let you guys filter out your own information, based on hits - not too worried about it):

There sure is a lot to see on him, physically and digitally, but nothing even remotely dangerous or illegal. The silk-ish robe-suit that he is wearing (obviously a designer look, for those of you who care about that sort of thing) looks as though it might be well-suited to concealing small items within it, but those of you who score a lot of hits will find that he did not come armed. His obvious demeanor is both outgoing and eccentric, and, at the moment, very disappointed in both the location and the refreshments offered (not offended, or upset, just disappointed). He seems uninterested in the company, aside from Will, thus far. The acute may pick up that he is a lot more interested in what is going on here than he is trying to show, and that his loud and outgoing attitude is not, as you may have assumed, a show put on for your benefit, but probably the way he is, all the time.

Digitally, there is a strong hum of wireless signals within PAN range of the man - almost entirely made up of simple commercial RFID tags. As I mentioned IC, his commlink is in active mode, offering up his AR imagery to people whose commlinks are configured to accept that sort of thing. He also seems to be covered in Body-shop icons or similar Glyphs - slightly less than half of his ensemble is virtual. From the information his public account offers, the man's name is "Artisan" (yeah, right) and there is a handful of hum-drum personal facts that anyone in the Shadows would have had faked up, anyway: nonsense about art and fashion, mostly. The commlink's software seems high-quality, but off-the-shelf - the sort of code typically used by people with more money than sense, and well below par for any professional hacker. The high quality(rating) of the software, suggests decent hardware required to run it - probably similarly off-the-shelf.

Magically, he will (probably) assense as awakened, although not particularly strongly. No cyber, bioware, or diseases, and the emotions described above. No foci, no spirits, not currently dual-natured or assensing or anything.

If anyone wants to know anything else, just ask.
Marwynn
@rob
[ Spoiler ]

Jairus is wearing a simple Actioneer suit, cut nicely for his build and does a great job of concealing two weapons. His cybereyes are of nice quality but clearly not organic. as his astral signature will show. There seems to be a series of fibres glowing in astral space throughout his bodies, possibly some sort of augmentation. It's enough to lessen his magical talent. Definitely an Adept of some sort.

Physically he's lean, with a mixed asian-caucasian look to his features. His body language is respectfully guarded though perhaps genuinely welcoming. You suspect that he may be enjoying this.

He has little to no presence in the Matrix. At the mention of communications being cut off the signals you were detecting shut off from him. You get the impression that he can and prefers to do without such electronic devices. A few of the items on his person, a clip, a button here and there have something... electronic about them. They give off no signals, however.
rob
@Marwynn - yes. yes I did. *oops.* And Red-ROM can describe it just fine.

@Crizh - Hmm. For 5K in hardware, it seems a stretch that you'd have all the stuff to work anaerobic reactions. You can improvise some stuff to build the freeze foam, but that'll take some of your time before the meet, and afterwards you'll have to work at -2. Mr. Fix's arm tanks wouldn't be big enough to hold all the stuff you want to make, and a vacuum sealer would have to be rigged up special.

What's ANNM?
crizh
Mataglap is a short Ogre (European Orc) with sallow skin and a shaved head, he has small tusks that are visible but not nearly as visible as those of more common Metatypes. He is stocky but not heavily muscled, his loose jowls attest to a plentiful diet.

His garb is striking and eccentric. He is wearing most of this season's 'Mad Scientist' version of Vashon Island's popular Steampunk line. A leather-look long coat is being worn over loose pants and shirt adorned with period fastenings in fashionably tarnished brass.

He is accompanied by a small drone that might once have been a Doberman patrol-drone. It has been extensively modified with a Steampunk body-kit, it's four wheeled legs have been replaced with spidery constructions of brass and wire accented with Plasteel panels moulded to to look like expensive antique wood and it's body shell replaced with a small brandy barrel topped with a 'head' of brass and blinking incandescent light-bulbs formed around the drones unoccupied weapon mount.

Assensing

[ Spoiler ]
crizh
QUOTE (rob @ Sep 10 2009, 03:42 PM) *
@Marwynn - yes. yes I did. *oops.* And Red-ROM can describe it just fine.

@Crizh - Hmm. For 5K in hardware, it seems a stretch that you'd have all the stuff to work anaerobic reactions. You can improvise some stuff to build the freeze foam, but that'll take some of your time before the meet, and afterwards you'll have to work at -2. Mr. Fix's arm tanks wouldn't be big enough to hold all the stuff you want to make, and a vacuum sealer would have to be rigged up special.

What's ANNM?

I've got a little spare time in my schedule so that's fine. Mr Fix's tanks are mounted on his torso and are bit like brass SCUBA tanks, big enough to hold 3 or 4 gallons each.

ANNM is just like ANFO but uses Nitro-methane instead of fuel oil. Nitro-methane is pretty common and easy to get hold of, I think they use it in Hot-rods and Drag-racers, and the resulting explosive is roughly equivalent to RDX (an REI of 1.6 that of TNT) which I think works out at about Rating 8.
Digital Heroin
Jared is as described in the post, just a man in a suit. He is immaculately groomed, his clothing is tailored, and he has a few subdued, but expensive accessories and very good shoes, but it is all designed to register but not be memorable. He is unarmed, and calm to the aura.
Digital Heroin
Had to update just before my work day ended, eh? I'll post something soon.
rob
Yo, waitin' on crizh. broke my arm last night, so it is very hard to type. will get something up when i can.
Mickle5125
how'd you manage that one, Rob?

Additionally, hope you heal quickly and well!
Digital Heroin
Alright, someone find a Street Doc, a Shaman, and a whole mess of steel... we've got us an arm to replace...
BlackHat
QUOTE (rob @ Sep 15 2009, 10:20 PM) *
Yo, waitin' on crizh. broke my arm last night, so it is very hard to type. will get something up when i can.

At the time you wrote this, crizh had responded. Although without quotation-marks around his red-text, its hard to know if that's a thought or speech, but it sounds like he is in.
So, it sounds like everyone is tentatively in, although a handful of us have tried to insert some provisions, or caveats into our acceptance. wink.gif
Marwynn
Alright, I got the monofilament chainsaw, let's see that arm rob.

Hope you feel better soon, relax and convalesce.
BlackHat
Invisible castle is down, so I'll get to posting a roll when its back up - but I wanted to say way to not let a little thing like a broken arm get you down, rob. That was a meaty post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012