Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NY and magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
SaintHax
I hope to see this in mods, but just in case they are late getting there, here's some paranoia to keep awakened PC's legit.

Possession traditions: a Spirit possessing someone (even a chanelling mage) can be seen like a Shamanic Mask w/ normal perception. The threshold is (6 - Spirit's Force), so if you are walking around w/ a force 6 (or 8 greater form) spirit mounting you, you are an obvious threat. I think this should be noted, as GM's currently don't let troll's walk around w/ Panther Assualt cannon's.

Watcher Spirits: I find the magic security detail to be missing in the NYC official supplement. However, it would be absurd to think that there's not a NYPD mage summoning watcher spirits to patrol. No doubt these spirits are reporting anything over force 3, and perhaps anything w/ a "force" in some places. At 2 dice, they are not the best spotters in the world, however you can't just walk through Manhattan w/ a quickened force 4 (or 6) spell on you. Or an active force 1 Katana focus, for that matter either-- with out some fear of it alerting an astral mage to project out and give it a once over.
Wasabi
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Sep 1 2009, 03:49 PM) *
I hope to see this in mods, but just in case they are late getting there, here's some paranoia to keep awakened PC's legit.

Possession traditions: a Spirit possessing someone (even a chanelling mage) can be seen like a Shamanic Mask w/ normal perception. The threshold is (6 - Spirit's Force), so if you are[snip]

Is this RAW?

Watcher Spirits: I find the magic security detail to be missing in the NYC official supplement. However, it would be absurd to think that there's not a NYPD mage summoning watcher spirits to patrol. No doubt these spirits are reporting anything over force 3, and perhaps anything w/ a "force" in some places. At 2 dice, they are not the best spotters in the world, however you can't just walk through Manhattan w/ a quickened force 4 (or 6) spell on you. Or an active force 1 Katana focus, for that matter either-- with out some fear of it alerting an astral mage to project out and give it a once over.

The Concealment spirit power now works on the astral. At F2 the Concealment power negates the entire dicepool of Watchers. There is also the manascape spell in Digital Grimoire that allows covering up the foci. Its a good buy for 5 Karma. smile.gif
SaintHax
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Sep 1 2009, 05:49 PM) *
Is this RAW?

Yes, Street Magic: "Spotting Spirits".

QUOTE (Wasabi @ Sep 1 2009, 05:49 PM) *
The Concealment spirit power now works on the astral. At F2 the Concealment power negates the entire dicepool of Watchers. There is also the manascape spell in Digital Grimoire that allows covering up the foci. Its a good buy for 5 Karma. smile.gif

Yes but you can't chose to be "just" astrally concealed, and note that being Concealed has some drawbacks: you can't go through a crowd w/o raising suspicion everytime someone bumps into you and you aren't there. Also, you have to have a F2 spirit dedicated to this (or larger) using a task-- if you have a unbound F2, you won't have an unbound F6 for combat.

Also, Manascape will impose a -2 DP penalty for sustaining, unless you already have a Sustaining Foci for Illusion spells. This is probably the cheapest and best way to cross the streets of Manahattan for a mage smile.gif (good find).
Wasabi
Possession traditions: a Spirit possessing someone (even a chanelling mage) can be seen like a Shamanic Mask w/ normal perception. The threshold is (6 - Spirit's Force), so if you are walking around w/ a force 6 (or 8 greater form) spirit mounting you, you are an obvious threat. I think this should be noted, as GM's currently don't let troll's walk around w/ Panther Assualt cannon's.

You're my hero for posting this!
Twilights_Herald
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Sep 1 2009, 02:49 PM) *

...Heck, I'd always thought it was patently obvious when someone was posessed (no check required). That's why I always kept my spirits out of people's bodies until the panthers are ready to come out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012