Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tiers of Play
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
LurkerOutThere
So I was thinking a bit about the retirement and prime runner ooption and just a higher grade of runs in general.

First off I'll say this I LOVE the Shadowrun Missions system. I liked Denver but I really enjoy manhattan. I like that New York you get the feeling that your being taken seriously as a character. I got really sick in Denver of being told at the beginiing of a mission "Oh your desperate for work this week". I think allowing players to choose their level fo difficulty is good.

But some people have raised the point of some characters being too experience for "Milk Runs" and other runs being too big time for what people are being offered money and karma wise. I believe there is room for a tier system but my recommendation is having a Low Tier and a High Tier. One thing you have to be carefull of, people come to cons wanting to try the system. I would make the recommendation that you should always allow people to play up, with the understanding that the lethality, and the pay offs are considerably higher. From my limited experience in SR Missions there's not that huge of a difference between TR 1 and TR5. A higher and lower tier would allow greater spread and greater opportunities to tell stories. If you limit high characters from playing in low mods it encourages them to make back ups, but keeps their old beloved characters viable.

That's my suggestion at least.
BishopMcQ
Lurker--As a concept, I like what you are talking about. We have discussed some divisions which would be similar to what you are describing, though they may be different mechanically than you are envisioning.

Is it possible for you to layout more details of a system, either here, via PM, or in an email? The more information you can give us, the easier it is to examine the system and how it will playout. It's also a way of making sure we understand the system that you want.

Thanks for the suggestion!
SaintHax
Lurker, I also suggested to Aaron that in the future at Cons, we run the same mod multiple times in a time slot: instead of offering four mods at 10am, we offer four tables of "Run to Mamma" mod (that's good... I should use that name for an actual mod smile.gif )

While it doesn't give the "flexiblity" that the other system implied, most of the time at GenCon the sold out games were still taking 1 to 3 generic's-- seems to be a affliction of pre-sales and conventions. This would allow us to marshal by power levels. That way your Green level hacker doesn't force your tier 5 players to run at tier 2 so he isn't worthless. The mods could also allow (certainly GM's can currently, but some don't b/c of thinking under pressure, and some don't b/c they adhere to the "assumed SRM rules" to rigidly) different tiers for different obsticals. There's no reason why all Hacking challenges couldn't be Tier 1, and all combat Tier 5, and all social checks Tier 4-- except the GM would have to wing the pay at Tier 3 or 4? Nothing would tell him which tier to use for pay or paydata.

Which actually ties into another suggestion: each player's pay is adjusted seperately. Your Face may get 4 net successes on the negotiation, but that may effect your Tier 1 character on the Tier 1 pay scale. His Tier 3 on that pay scale, and another Tier 5... etc. It would also allow us to take Street Cred and Notoriety into the pay process-- let's be honest, if you have 3 points of Notoriety, you should be getting paid less than the professional at the same level. This last part get's tricky, b/c SRM can't fix the crack headedness of the current RAW for Street Cred and Notoriety.
toturi
I think you could make use of the current Reputation system. After a certain Street Cred, the Johnsons begin to offer better paying work. This should offset the urge to go out and commit atrocities to get Notoriety in order to burn their Public Awareness. That could take some of the higher karma people out of the regular Missions, but it does not preclude them from slumming it and checking out the lower level competition. You could state that those higher level jobs occur within the same corresponding time frame as the lower ones, for example, Mission High 1 occured at the same time as Mission Low 1, so a character cannot take both Missions. A high karma character can still stay small time and stay under the radar. Or hit the big time and deal with Public Awareness. It could reflect how some people are like Mamba and hide out in the shadows while other are like Mafan, knowing people and being known, but each being equally successful shadowrunners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012