Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two Mor Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
S7Michelle
First off, I wanted to thank everyone for the help they gave me on my last question.

I have a couple more general questions that I’m having a hard time finding the answer too. And was hoping that perhaps someone could help.

1. I'm wanting to get a computer for my character. I don't want a deck, just a basic computer that can be used for playing video games, running regular and legal software, legally accessing the matrix, maybe storing data she picked up with her micro-camcorder, and so on. Its easy enough to figure out how much the computer costs. But the price is per MP. How many MPs would I need to have a really nice computer (user not hacker level)? Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but the character does have a datajack.

2. In the Sprawl Survival Guide p.51, there is a reference to a runner that has hair that she can change from blond, to red, to black to any variation in between with just a thought. Unfortunately, this color changing hair doesn’t appear to be detailed out anywhere. Going by the information I gathered from the paragraph, I tried to figure out how to make it.

Bio-ware Hair Growth for 2,000Y, DNI for 4,500Y and one m2 of Ruthenium Polymer for 10,000Y. For a total of 16,500Y.

Does this method seem logical to you, or am I totally off base?

Thanks again,
Michelle
Siege
1. I don't see any real point to your desktop computer's MP rating since you won't be doing any high-end processing or hacking.

2. The cyberware prices are always a little goofy. It's cosmetic enough a GM probably wouldn't object to cutting the price back a bit to more plausible levels.

-Siege
Panzergeist
The hair would have to be cyber, not bio. Bioware can't be controlled by thought like that. Not to mention that hair of any kind is dead before it ever sprouts from the skin.
mfb
i don't see why this particular bioware couldn't exist. after all, there are plenty of animals which change their color.
IcyCool
QUOTE (mfb)
i don't see why this particular bioware couldn't exist. after all, there are plenty of animals which change their color.

Don't said animals change the color of live tissue?

At any rate, I'd make this mod something on par with the shape-changing tattoos. I'd probably make it cyber.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (S7Michelle)
Bio-ware Hair Growth for 2,000Y, DNI for 4,500Y and one m2 of Ruthenium Polymer for 10,000Y. For a total of 16,500Y.

Does this method seem logical to you, or am I totally off base?

Well for a start you shouldn't need a meter squared of ploymers so i'd give a discount there. Also would you need full DNI control? It's not like your trying to get it to flick over your shoulder at the right moment (or are you?).

As a side note i think i let one of my players have for about 2000 nuyen.gif but their hair changed based on chemicals she shampoo'd in, they just didn't fade.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (IcyCool)

I'm pretty sure a chameleon's skin's alive...
Siege
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
QUOTE (IcyCool @ Jan 28 2004, 06:38 AM)

I'm pretty sure a chameleon's skin's alive...

Interesting idea -- remove a character's scalp and replace it with live tissue, including hair-esque material.

Icky in a bizarre sort of way. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Siege)
hair-esque material

SNAKES! devil.gif

[Edit]Digital Heroin: edontknowmorsibode?[/Edit]
Dogsoup
Do you really need ruthenium for this kind of job? If you want hair that can form intricate colour patterns I understand the need for ruthenium, but If you just want your hair to switch between colours there gotta be some cheaper and less requiring material.
Zazen
A core of photovoltaic material (like that used in the car paint) inside transparent plastic strands made to feel like hair, perhaps?
S7Michelle
smile.gif Thanks for the feedback so far. Honestly I'm not sure the right way to make the hair, was just trying to go with what I got out of the book.

"In all the changes, no one's forgotten hairstyles either. Unusual cuts and colors come and go--glow-in the dark pomades were this season's novelty, lending a new look to the average nightclub--but the trendsetters have been focusing on alternative hair. The cosmetic surgeons of Your Image Clinics tell us that scalp work is on the way up; the cognoscenti have been opting for alternative-fiber implants to add unusual textures and movements to their hair.

Again this has applications for runners--a friend of mine had implants of electrically-sensitive filaments based on ruthenium polymer technology. Hers is DNI-linked, though it doesn't have to be. With one thought she can go from blonde to brunette to redhead--or something more exotic--and every subtle shade in between, invaluable. --Sneak" (Spraw Survival Guide. 51).

Seems like a really cool idea. And I think they have something similar in Cyberpunk called Technohair.

Michelle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012