Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A call to you tech types
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Prime Mover
I've tried for months now to find a fix to my problem in attending a dev chat. Now I don't chat much, mostly using skype. Yesterdays chat at tiny chat shed some light on my problem and put me back on the job of trying to fix it.

Tiny chat like the javachat client continues to discoonnect. Tiny chat has little timer next to each post this let me see that every minute on the minute I was getting disconnected. I assume this is the same thing happening with my java client. Tested it with yahoo chat and same thing happens.

So I shut off all Avast and spybot anything that could be running in the background and doing 60 second checks......still having same problem.
What runs every minute on the minute that would disconnect a chat???

I've tried dozens of "fixes" and had at least a dozen other people look at it and walk away clueless.
Chrysalis
Check to make sure you are using the latest java version for your browser of choice. If you are using mozilla firefox you should download it from here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Once installed remove older copies of java from the control panel's Add/Remove Programs

If you are using Internet Explorer, which uses its own version of java, then the issue may be with Internet Explorer.
Prime Mover
Using chrome and reinstalled java 3 times now. (Edit: Java6 with update 15) Tinychat and yahoo use java? I dont think its java. Turned off everything up to and including firewall to see if that was it. No luck there.

As a side note, attempted to use explorer to veiw tinychat yesterday and got only the ad on left hand side of page no chat window at all.

Edit2: Been playing with tinychat again today cant stay connected for more then a full minute.
Chrysalis
No idea. It must be something on your side. Maybe malware (spyware or trojans), bug in chrome, or simply a problem with the internet connection (like long delays in connecting). Tried running an antivirus scan and a spyware scan (seek and destroy)?
Stahlseele
Try Safari, Opera and Firefox to make sure it's really not the Browser.
You behind a Router Mate?
If so, either try without Router or try and gt someone with a Laptop to connect on your Jack-Point.
If he has the same Problems, you know it's not on your Computer.
If you don't have the Problem without a Router, you know it's the Router.
If you have the Same Problem without a Router AND another Computer?
Sucks to be you, it's something outside of your Reach. Probably something in the Connetion.
Maybe something the ISP does.
Adam
Bear in mind that Tinychat is Flash-based, not Java.
Prime Mover
Tried safari,firefox and explorer. up/downloads work fine, skype works fine and been playing Tribes2 with no lag at all, but chat programs dont want to stay connected. Trust me I've had two decent IT guys walk away scratching there heads. Gonna hook up wifes laptop tomorrow when I have time same way my pc is set up and see if I duplicate it on hers.

Flash and Java both clean installed and updated multiple times/ways now.
Prime Mover
Ok so I recreated the problem on wifes brand new laptop so its definitely a router or ISP problem. I did learn one new thing. As long as I keep typing I don't lose connection to the server. This makes sense when doing the SR dev chats I'm chatting away in the open room no problem. Then they lock the room for the "real" chat and one minute later I'm booted. Same on tinychat, once I stop sending posts at the top of the next minute I lose my connection to chat server.
So don't be concerned if you keep getting gibberish messages during next chat LOL.

I've scoured the intertubes and having no luck finding a similar problem, I'd really just like to understand cause of this.
Stahlseele
Ah, seems to be a Timeout Problem . .
Try starting a download to keep your line busy, see if it helps.
Prime Mover
Downloads work fine and fast. On cable connection and have great speed. The only problem I have is keeping connected to chat servers.
Tried disabling Windows Blinds and shut off Tea Timer and IE protection in Spybot but didn't help.
Stahlseele
i remember some people having similar problems with IRC and other Chat-Systems, but they said when they had downloads running to keep the line busy, it worked better. Try it with the router. Try it without the router. See what happens.
Prime Mover
tryed download and ipod sync/itunes connect while chat running with router...not working.

Direct connect no router still not working. Same thing times out at the top of minute.
Skype and downloads keep working though just disconnected from chats. (yahoo,tinychat and srchat room are the ones im testing)
Stahlseele
OK, then it is nothing on your end of the line anymore.
Either your Modem is fucked or your ISP is fucking around.
Prime Mover
It's just me perplexed I swear I'm cursed some days. I had a computer years ago that would randomly shut down, spent 11 months replacing parts and taking to techs never did figure that one out.

I can't figure out why it's only interrupting my connections to chat servers? Some protocol issue? The fact that it disconnects in such a set time frame, at the top of the minute. Or the fact that continued sending of messages on my part seem to keep it connected.

Thanks for the input though, banging your head against a brick wall all by yourself is depressing hehe.
Stahlseele
Hey, i do Techsupport for Vodafone the ISP . . i know what you're going through right now . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012