Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A:Admin\Sympathy_for_the_Devil\Sign_up.node
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
milk ducks
Renraku Computer Systems INC, Database ...
Password: ******************
... Confirmed.
Identification: ******************
... Confirmed. Welcome back, Mr. Kasuga.
Establishing secure connection ... Confirmed.
The following information came for you while you were at dinner, enjoy:

I've been interested in running a gritty, 300BP SR4 game for a while now. The plan was to write up a story that depicted, as accurately as possible, the often-times dark and violent realism of the Sixth World; something that was distinctly futuristic, but with an undeniably gaudy air of 80's-era science fiction nostalgia. I was going to run a game like this for some friends on mine here on Dumpshock, but I've been waiting for them to create accounts for a while now, and I've decided to press on ahead, without them. (Not too late to sign up, chummers!)

I'm relatively inexperienced as an SR-GM, but I've been running other games now for a while, and I think I can wrap my head around this no problem. Not sure yet how many PCs I'm comfortable juggling just yet, so if there's a lot of interest in this game, I may have to turn some people away. Sorry, that's just how it goes. I'll post some character creation rules after a few people sign up, so don't go crazy just yet. Like I said before, I'd like to run with 300BP. I'll also likely be running with the "Gritty" alternative ruleset from SR4 core.

Some decent writing experience isn't a requirement for entry into the game, but it'll sure help; feel free to link me to some of your work here on Dumpshock, or elsewhere. I'd love to read it.

-milk.

Closing session ... Confirmed.
Awaiting response from new user ...
Karoline
Sounds like it could be fun smile.gif

What are the limits on our characters? (Any changes to max availability, starting resources, starting stats, etc?)

You've seen a bit of what I can do on the BitW game, you can also check out the DotA game that is currently running for more stuff from me.
DigitalOYABUN
Count me interested especially since you referenced one of my favorites Stones songs. I have a phyad with rat spirit mentor thief type in my head that might fit the gritty.
milk ducks
I guess the primary reason I want to do a 300BP character creation is because I feel like 400BP is too powerful for what I've got in mind. I'm not saying you guys are street-level characters or anything like that; I think you can make really powerful, well-rounded and realistic characters with 300BP. My concern with 400BP is that, well, you can really have everything you want. I've had 400BP characters that were all chromed out in Alphaware, with tricked out, modified weapons, and physical attributes that modern-day olympic athletes never dreamed of. And that's all cool, really; I just think that if you start out with everything you'd ever want ... why play? You know what I mean?

So 300BP sounds good to me.

DigitalOYABUN posted some modified rules in the Street Level Ork Muscle thread, and I'm inclined to follow them for the most part: skills max out at 3 for character creation (helps spread around the points, I think); max gear availability 6; max gear rating 3 (I can make exceptions on this, though, pretty easily). If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know. I'd prefer if everyone's characters know each other - probably worked together on a few runs prior to the game's beginning. But again, it's not a deal breaker if your character's a newcomer to the group.

-milk.
milk ducks
Everyone who signs up will have at least this one (free) contact in common; Matsu Hideki, a sharply dressed mid-level Johnson (Connection 4, Loyalty 2) that operates out of the Bad Juju Lounge in Seattle. Pretty obvious there's some serious power behind him, but whether it's AAA or Yakuza, nobody knows (or nobody's talkin'). He caters primarily to smugglers, but Shadowrunners of all sorts find their way to Hideki's table sooner or later.

Nobody meets him without being frisked by his bodyguards first. There are no exceptions.

-milk.
cndblank
I'm interested.

Can you give us an idea of what our first real run was against?

I certainly don't mind the low level start, but could we have a Karma Chargen option?

It would make the starting characters much more realistic and rounded.
If not that then twenty or thirty karma to round the character out would be nice.

Skills max out of 3. Do we get two active skills at 4 or one at 5? And the same for Knowledge skills? Or one at 4 and two at 3 with the rest 2?

Also SRA rules?

Charisma times two in free Contacts option?
Method
I'm deffinately interested. Will post more shortly.
Thanee
Hey there! smile.gif

Interested as well. A more lowish starting level is fine. Not being tricked out completely (at least in one's specialty) leaves more room for improvement. And Ratings of 3 are certainly ok enough to accomplish something. smile.gif

My current (two) characters around here, are both more on the techie side (a hacker and a smuggler), so I'd prefer to play something magical (i.e. street shaman most likely).

############################################################
##################### -+- CHARACTER SHEET -+- #####################

The Raven by The Alan Parsons Project
(based on the famous poem by Edgar Allan Poe)

The clock struck midnight
And through my sleeping
I heard a tapping at my door
I looked but nothing lay in the darkness
And so I turned inside once more

To my amazement
There stood a raven
Whose shadow hung above my door
Then through the silence
It spoke that one word
That I shall hear for evermore

Nevermore
Thus quoth the raven, nevermore

And still the raven remains in my room
No matter how much I implore
No words can soothe him
No prayer remove him
And I must hear for evermore

Quoth the raven, nevermore
Thus quoth the raven Nevermore

Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Bye
Thanee
milk ducks
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 6 2009, 12:15 PM) *
Can you give us an idea of what our first real run was against?

Matsu Hideki deals mostly (but not exclusively) with smuggling operations; mostly Seattle/Salish-Shidhe area stuff, but it's not uncommon to pick up jobs that require a bit more travel. I'm thinking, if you've worked as a team for Hideki before, it's most likely been to smuggle restricted equipment into NAN territory. The exact details of what went down are probably better left to you guys to discuss, as it might shape your characters in different ways. Also, feel free to be a complete newcomer who hasn't had any previous affiliation with the rest of the group.

I certainly don't mind the low level start, but could we have a Karma Chargen option?

It would make the starting characters much more realistic and rounded.
If not that then twenty or thirty karma to round the character out would be nice.

Tell you what, do the characters with a straight 300bp creation, and if the consensus is that they're under-developed, we'll work out from there. I'm hesitant to offer a flat amount of karma across the board, but I'd be willing to offer a bit to players that put a lot of work into their characters, or who go the extra mile to help me out with some of the administration stuff.

Skills max out of 3. Do we get two active skills at 4 or one at 5? And the same for Knowledge skills? Or one at 4 and two at 3 with the rest 2?

At character creation, skills max out at 3. I don't care how many skills you have maxed out, but 3 is the limit (obviously, you can specialize at 3 points to effectively have 5).

Also SRA rules?

I only have Shadowrun Fourth Edition, so that's what I'll be running.

Charisma times two in free Contacts option?

Uhh, I actually really like (fleshed out) contacts, so yeah, sure. We can do that.

I've had some questions about the "gritty" alternative ruleset from SR4. So I'll post them here for everyone to see:

• The total hits on any tests are limited to no more than the character's skill rating x2. This increases the relevance of skills over attributes, but it also maens that low-skilled characters will have a more challenging time. Defaulting tests would be limited to 1 hit. Edge, however, would allow you to bypass these limits.
  • When Edge is spent for extra dice, you only get dice equal to your current unspent Edge points rather than your full Edge attribute (so if your Edge is 4 but you have already spent Edge twice that session, you only get to add 2 extra dice).
  • Refresh Edge rarely -- at the end of a campaign arc, for example.
  • Increase th chance for glitches when defaulting or taking Long Shot Tests -- count 2s as well as 1s.
  • Allow critical successes only on non-combat actions.

Hope that helps.

Also, we may be pushing up against the number of players I feel comfortable handling. So just be aware of that.

-milk.
Marwynn
Responding to the invite, thanks.

Question: Are there attribute caps, individual and total? What on special attributes like Resonance or Magic?
milk ducks
No hard attribute caps, no. But, in keeping with the SR4 rules, you can't spend more than 150bp (half your total) on attributes.

-milk.
Thanee
QUOTE (milk ducks @ Oct 6 2009, 10:03 PM) *
Uhh, I actually really like (fleshed out) contacts, so yeah, sure. We can do that.

Yep, extra points for Contacts linked to Charisma are pretty good, IMHO. It also makes CHA more valuable to all characters, which can't be bad. wink.gif

I really don't understand, how this is not an actual rule in SR4. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
milk ducks
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 6 2009, 03:22 PM) *
Yep, extra points for Contacts linked to Charisma are pretty good, IMHO. It also makes CHA more valuable to all characters, which can't be bad. wink.gif

I really don't understand, how this is not an actual rule in SR4. smile.gif

Yeah, I've never heard of that rule before, but I really like it.

-milk.
Method
So i am definitely intrigued. I have some ideas for a brash young pistol adept who fancies himself as a modern day gun slinger. That or a street kid / mage, maybe but it sounds like Thanee is interested in playing a magician, so thats cool.

As for writing samples, you can check out my (currently stalled... again) PbP game HERE and HERE. You can also check out an essay I wrote that will be featured in the forth coming premier issue of the Dumpshock Data Haven Magazine. biggrin.gif

I also like the Charisma x 2 house rule, and it seems to be par for the course around here. Its especially good if you (as a GM) want contacts to play a major role in your game. Which brings up the question: how do you want to run contacts? I've always left them to the PCs until they become central to the story and then the GM "jumps into" them.

Also as an aside, people are making some great points about character advancement, and I don't mean to be a naysayer, but I think its important to keep the medium in mind. What I mean is that in a PbP format it can take months in RL time to play through a simple run and years to really advance a character. If you are excited about a low powered game because you like advancement you may be disappointed. I think this game will be far more fun for people who simply want to experience the grit of low level game.

Along those lines, how do you plan to handle karma? Some PbP GM's award "karma by the run" and others do a one point "karma drip" every so often. I recently tried a system where I awarded 1 point of karma to any player who posted at least X times a week (RL), basically trying to keep people engaged, but its unclear how well that's working.
milk ducks
I've got a fair amount of DM-experience under my belt, but it's honestly mostly d20 stuff. This is to be my first real attempt at managing a Shadowrun game. I feel like I've got a pretty strong grasp of the world image, and the playstyle, but I just haven't done this enough to know which types of karma gain systems I'd like to use. Honestly, I feel like your "award 1 point of karma to any player who posted at least X times a week" rule to be pretty strong; one of the main issues I''ve had with onlineRP is keeping players posting. I know that real life happens, and that's totally cool, but players who log on and contribute should rightly be awarded. I can certainly come up with other ways of awarding karma in addition to that, but I'll be honest and tell you guys that I'm totally open to any suggestions in that regard.

Also, I think I'm actually more interested in playing a lower-powered game like this because I feel like it's more realistic; not necessarily because of the opportunities for advancement. Just seems like it makes for a more interesting game, you know? Where chromed-out super-sams and mega-wiz hackers are the exception, rather than the rule. Everybody starts somewhere.

-milk.
Method
Well I'm right there with you. Character advancement is great and all, but I'm in it for the grit (preferably with extra face shooting).

And the key to the "karma for posting" approach is keeping the game advancing, which I will admit I am not very good at. Otherwise PCs actually advance at a phenomenal rate in game time- if it takes two to three weeks in RL to play through a meet with the Johnson, for example, your runners just gained 3 karma while they sat at the negotiating table.
cndblank
Sounds good.

I do like the optional charisma rule. It helps to flesh out the character.

For a new SR GM, my number one suggest is at least 1 NPC hacker/decker as a point of contact for the group (but this is less of an issue for a PBEM game).

If you want to simplfy the game you can always go old school and start it in 2050 (Other than deckers using decks (no wireless VR), no technomancers, and not having to deal with very much genetech and nanotech, you just use the SR4 rules).

I also think that this style of game might give an edge to the awaken (who needs expensive gear when you have magic!!!).

cndblank
I'm looking at a elven female go ganger adept or mystic adept.

Likely a fair face.
DigitalOYABUN
I have a question, and not really sure I'd buy it if your answer is yes at any rate. Will you be using the used vehicle rule found on page 104 of Arsenal? I was thinking a beat up old van might fit my character...but maybe not lol
SincereAgape
This sounds interesting, and ideal for a type of campaign I would like to PC for.

If you still have room I want to throw my hat in.

-Want to make either a hacker/technomancer.

Thanee
QUOTE (milk ducks @ Oct 6 2009, 10:10 PM) *
No hard attribute caps, no. But, in keeping with the SR4 rules, you can't spend more than 150bp (half your total) on attributes.

You probably want to restrict Magic (maybe Resonance, even more maybe Edge), though.

Magic should not be higher than 3 or maybe 4, I suppose.

Bye
Thanee
OperationSpirit
I'd definately like to be involved.
milk ducks
Okay, so, counting OperationSpirit's submission, I think we're up to about 8 players. That's pretty much my max capacity at this point. So I'm going to officially close recruitment at this point. Feel free to PM me your character sheets, or post them here if you'd like - seeing other submission's may help other people get their creative juices flowing, and everyone could probably benefit from a bit of outside advice.

I've seen some good questions posted, and I'll answer them tonight, I promise. I've only just walked in the door from being at work all morning, and I've got to go out of town for a few hours with my wife (and newborn son). Thank you to everyone who's signed up; I think this is shaping up to be a pretty decent group.

-milk.
milk ducks
Okay, let me quickly address some of the things posted earlier:

QUOTE (SincereAgape @ Oct 7 2009, 10:09 AM) *
-Want to make either a hacker/technomancer.

That sounds great, Sin. As far as I know, there aren't any other potential hacker PCs at the moment. I will admit that my knowledge of Otaku / Technomancers is fairly limited, and I'd be more comfortable with a straight-up hacker, but, I really want everyone to have fun, so if you wanna be Otaku, go for it; I'll play catch-up, no worries.

QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 7 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Magic should not be higher than 3 or maybe 4, I suppose.

That's probably a good idea. Let's say no higher than 3 on Magic / Resonance? Probably for the best, considering you also have to take a quality in order to have the stat in the first place; those BP get used up pretty quick. Good catch, Thanee.

QUOTE (DigitalOYABUN @ Oct 7 2009, 09:28 AM) *
Will you be using the used vehicle rule found on page 104 of Arsenal? I was thinking a beat up old van might fit my character...but maybe not lol

First of all, thank you for quoting the page number and the book; I still haven't memorized all that stuff yet, lol. Second, yeah that should be fine. I've read over that stuff before, and I'll go over it again, but if you don't hear back from me on it, you're all clear.

Ok, now that we've covered all that stuff ...

Couple of things to keep in mind while creating your characters: keep in mind that this is a Shadowrun game. What makes your character a Shadowrunner and not a futuristic metahuman mercenary? The differences can sometimes be subtle, but their impact is powerful. Even the use of Sixth World Lingo can make a huge difference. Also, never forget that you're a criminal. Odds are, your character has killed some people in the past; hell, odds are, some of those people didn't even deserve it. I'm not really interested in GM'ing for a bunch of super-villains or anything, but it's important to remember that at the end of the day, your character willingly does some pretty bad things ... just because the pay is good.

Having said that, also keep in mind that anonymity is your greatest armour. Your alias and fake identities are important, so give them some thought. Really think hard before using your name (even your fake name) in public; you have an alias for a reason. If it were me? I wouldn't even want my team to know my real name; if one of them gets pinched by Lonestar or the Corps, and they know anything at all about who you really are ... man, I'd be shitting bricks.

And, finally, have fun. The point of any game is to have fun, and I think it's especially true for RPGS, where there are no real "winners or losers". In the end, the amount of entertainment you take away from it is roughly equal to the amount of effort you put in. So keep all that in mind, and let's start churning out some PCs.

-milk.
Marwynn
Okay, making modifications with Magic 3.

Can we put together a list of archetypes or specialties of our characters? So we just know what the team looks like.

Karoline:
DigitalOYABUN: Adept with Rat Mentor Spirit
Thanee: Something Magical, perhaps a Street Mage/Shaman
Method: Gunslinger Adept or Street Kid/Mage
cndblank: Go Ganger Adept or Mystic Adept
SincereAgape: Hacker/Technomancer
OperationSpirt:
Marwynn: Combat Adept

I think we're quite a magical bunch! Maybe I'll tweak my character to be mundane. He'll lose the awesome throwing capabilities but otherwise he'd be pretty similar.

EDIT:

Also for a smuggling group we seem to be missing a Rigger or two. Or at least, you know, a smuggler. Hmm... I do love to make chars (and cars).

Are we looking at a mostly smuggling-centric game? Or more straight running with some smuggling on the side? (Straight running meaning hitting corps in buildings and so on.)
DigitalOYABUN
My concept is a Physical Adept with Rat as his Mentor spirit actually....yep he's a thief, and I'll apologize in advance if he books it out of a fight (unless cornered and then he's vicious).
Method
I've started working on a human gunslinger adept. I originally envisioned him to be something of a braggart but based on milk duck's comments about anonymity above I may have to rethink things...

Mr. duck (can I call you milk?): how do you feel about negative qualities like Distinctive Style and SINner (Criminal)? Because I was going to give my PC the street name "Kid Hollywood" (in wild-west outlaw fashion) because he spent some time in Hollywood Correctional Facility.
cndblank
Eight characters and 6 are awaken (in one form or another)

Karoline:
DigitalOYABUN: Adept with Rat Mentor Spirit
Thanee: Something Magical, perhaps a Street Mage/Shaman
Method: Gunslinger Adept or Street Kid/Mage
cndblank: Go Ganger Adept or Mystic Adept
SincereAgape: Hacker/Technomancer
OperationSpirt:
Marwynn: Combat Adept

This is why in my campaign I offer an extra 50K to any player not being awakened.
Marwynn
Going with a Mundane Face/Rigger... Trying to make it work right now. Interesting challenge.

First bummer: Control Rig is Avail 8 hehe. Hmm...
cndblank
"max gear availability 6; max gear rating 3 (I can make exceptions on this, though, pretty easily)."

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 7 2009, 10:22 PM) *
Going with a Mundane Face/Rigger... Trying to make it work right now. Interesting challenge.

I took a look at a rigger, but I've never played one.
Method
Well, I guess we could explore what a low level magical campaign would be like, if milk ducks is willing. Otherwise, we'll have to work something out. But if we already have 1 hacker and 1 rigger that doesn't leave a lot of options for mundane character types. You have your obvious choices (street sam/gun bunny, covert ops, etc) but beyond that its hard to get creative with only 300 points.
Marwynn
Well we could still use a Face. I'm rethinking this Rigger thing so don't put me down for that just yet.

Exploring my Mundane horizons... been too used to Awakened for so long. I'm thinking of reworking my original character into a Mundane Face/Face Smasher.

EDIT:

Okay I got to a nice compromise, I feel. I'm going to miss the extra IP but I'm sure we'll be rolling the nuyen soon enough to get Synaptics Booster III! wink.gif

Are you guys comfortable with an Ork Face that has Cha 4 and Inf 3? If you are making a Face as well please do so, I'm sure we can put another smooth talker to good use (and probably with more dice to throw too).

Yeah I gave up on Rigging, sorry. The hardware really isn't in me.
cndblank
FYI I'm doing the elven female go ganger Face.

And I'm going mudane

Thanee
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 8 2009, 06:15 AM) *
Eight characters and 6 are awaken (in one form or another)

Yep, awakened chars are quite popular, it seems.

Maybe part of the reason is, that they were hardly limited initially (now with Magic limited to 3, they might be a bit less attractive).

I'd definitely like to stick with it, though, as said above, pretty much all my chars have been (and all currently being played are) mundane. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
A question about gear availability.

Foci have a pretty high availability (i.e. a Sustaining Focus has Rating x 4; which would make anything but Rating 1 impossible to come by).

Maybe it would make sense to allow one item per character with an AV of up to 12 (with individual choices run by you, so nothing outrageous slips by)?
This way, everyone could have one important item, that breaks the AV 6 limit (i.e. a Sustaining Focus 3 or the above-mentioned Control Rig).

How does that sound?

Oh, and do you already know where we will be located? Seattle? Somewhere else?

Bye
Thanee
Karoline
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 8 2009, 12:15 AM) *
This is why in my campaign I offer an extra 50K to any player not being awakened.

Yum.... 50k....

I'll see what I can whip up with a 50k rigger... I mean 300 BP rigger. 50k In extra resources would be -so- awesome. *Hint hint wink.gif *

I think I'll try my non-rigging rigger style that I went for in the Blood in the Water game. Hasn't seen combat yet, but the concept seems solid and quite powerful. We are still allowed to spend a whole 50 BP on gear right?

I think one reason we have so many magic types is the availability 6 limit. Stop sammys getting much chrome or good weapons or even just some of the fun toys. Magic types get all that for free. Hitting max magic down to 3 certainly curtails that some though. On the bonus side, with so many magic types we're going to have a bunch of people who have no idea what to use their cash on. I'm sure my rigger will be able to offer suggestions smile.gif
Thanee
CASH ?!?

Do you know how expensive those attributes, special attributes, skills, spells and such are? biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
milk ducks
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 7 2009, 11:22 PM) *

Tell you guys what, I'll take Thanee's suggestion, and allow each character to start off with one item up to availability 12. No questions asked.

Don't let this come back to bite me in the ass.

I realize that 6 is restricting, but I hadn't realized that even Control Rigs were beyond that range. Frankly, the 6 availability thing is only a guideline. I'm not super-concerned that everyone adheres to it. What I'm concerned about is that people use their points wisely to create some well-rounded and dynamic characters -- not drop 50 points on chrome and dakka. From now on, if you see a piece of gear that excedes availability 6 (but isn't higher than 12), just PM me to ask if it's okay. I don't want to limit character concepts.

I will ask that you consider your character strongly before messaging me, though. Don't ask me for Aluminum Bone Lacing if you can't think of a reason why your character would have it. When it comes to 'ware, I know that Essence is always an issue, but try to pick things that really suit your character; that make him/her feel more realistic, rather than something that would simply make you more combat-effective. Like, is your character a biker? Maybe invest in some low-rating Dermal Plating so he's got some added protection in case he spills out and rashes all over the road. Know what I mean?

I'm going to trust you guys. Again, please don't let it bite me in the ass.

QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 8 2009, 04:14 AM) *
Oh, and do you already know where we will be located? Seattle? Somewhere else?

Yep, Seattle. So original, I know. But this is my first game, lol. So it's still new to me.

QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 8 2009, 05:06 AM) *
We are still allowed to spend a whole 50 BP on gear right?

Yeah, but I really wouldn't suggest it. With only 300 points to work with, your character's going to be pretty thinned out if you drop 50BP on gear.

QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 8 2009, 05:06 AM) *
I think one reason we have so many magic types is the availability 6 limit. Stop sammys getting much chrome or good weapons or even just some of the fun toys.

I dunno about that. AK-97s are only availability 4, and they're everything you'd ever want in a gun; great damage, natural armour penetration, multiple firing modes, decent clip size, and low cost. The Fichetti Security 600 is availability 6, and it comes with natural recoil compensation and laser sight; great price and awesome concealability (and 30 shots, wow). Speaking of hiding things, Lined Coats are only availability 2, and they provide a concealability bonus. Armoured vests and jackets are still an option, and so are camouflage suits (which are awesome). Wanna chrome out? Rating 1 Dermal Plating will only cost you 1bp. Same with Muscle Replacement. Reaction Enhancers are available, and so is a ton of bioware (although it's expensive, so I'd consider leaving it and using those bp to flesh out your character).

Feel naked without those extra Initiative Passes from Wired Reflexes? Jazz it up! If it's good enough for Lonestar, it's good enough for you. Cram is also an option. Governments around the world have commonly issued amphetamines to their troops as a way of improving combat performance. If your character's looking for an edge, it's far more likely (in my opinion) they'll pop some pills instead of going under the knife to get a highly-invasive (and legally restricted) surgery.

But that's just me.

My point is, sams have options.

-milk.
milk ducks
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 7 2009, 11:08 PM) *
Are we looking at a mostly smuggling-centric game? Or more straight running with some smuggling on the side? (Straight running meaning hitting corps in buildings and so on.)

Sorry, I missed this post before. spin.gif

The game will incorporate lots of different types of runs; B&E, wetwork, structure hits, smuggling, extraction, etc. It just depends on the job. Most of my stuff is going to involve a fair amount of investigation as well, so don't neglect those skills. This particular story may well involve like, pretty much everything I've just mentioned.

-milk.
Marwynn
Awesome, thanks milk.

I'm still using Shotgun Sam, a bit modified but still good. Drugs are the answer! Or maybe I'll keep the Adept, I dunno. It adds to his 'underdog' status that he's mundane.

I'll send it over again for your inspection once I'm done messing about hehe. I do feel a bit naked without an extra IP, but it'll be a low-power game so having 2-3 IPs might actually be imbalancing.

EDIT:
Question, will you allow the breaking up of Skill Groups at Chargen? I'm looking at the Close Combat skill group here, I feel obligated that he should know Clubs and Unarmed at 1 (Arnis de Mano) but he has an affinity for Blades. Frees up 2 BP which I'll put into Artisan (Vocal) so he can sing better in the Adept version or Intimidation (Physical) for the Mundane version (who already has the Artisan (Vocal) speciality).

Thanee
Another question... about books this time.

SR4 core book only? Or can we also use some stuff (i.e. qualities or spells or equipment) from other books (Runner's Compendium, Street Magic, Augmentation, and Arsenal especially)?

Bye
Thanee
Karoline
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 8 2009, 10:36 AM) *
Another question... about books this time.

SR4 core book only? Or can we also use some stuff (i.e. qualities or spells or equipment) from other books (Runner's Compendium, Street Magic, Augmentation, and Arsenal especially)?

Bye
Thanee

I really hope not core book only. Makes making a rigger -really- hard as there are only about a dozen drones available at that point.

And yeah, your right ducks, dropping 50 BP into gear generally means less well rounded, but a rigger tends to live/die by their drones, and having a wide verity of drones is as good as a wide verity of skills. I don't know that I'll actually spend 50 BP, but just wanted to check that it was an option (I'm a total gadgetphile, so I almost always spend huge amounts on gear) I will obstain from getting a bunch of high priced 'ware and stuff. I imagine getting a large number and verity of used drones, some programs to run them better and defend them (IC and encryption and such).

If we are using other books, is restricted gear an option at all? If so how would you like to have it work? Once again, not sure that I'd use it, just want to know what the options are.

And most importantly.... can I play a vampire? biggrin.gif

Note: Just kidding about the vampire thing nyahnyah.gif
SincereAgape
*Sharpens the stake and looking to purchase a UV light for Karoline's possible Vamp.*

I am wondering about the incorporation of additional negative and positive qualities in Runner's Companion. One's that don't break the game, but are more for conceptual purposes such as Judas, Made man, or deep cover.

Edit: I am thinking about rolling an elf as well if that impacts anyone's decision on races.
milk ducks
Oh yeah, all the official core books are allowed. I guess I forgot to mention that. If anyone's planning on using any of the alternative rules presented in those books, it's probably totally cool, just run it by me first. If possible, please include the page numbers so it's easier for me to find.

Okay, you guys wanna earn some bonus BP? Of course you do. Here's what to do:

See, I'm a musician, and I love music. Whenever I write, I get a lot of inspiration from the music I'm listening to. I tend to name stories after song lyrics or titles (Sympathy for the Devil is a pretty obvious example), and characters as well. I oftentimes try to think about what kinds of music my characters would listen to, or if the lyrics I'm hearing pertain at all to situations that my characters are facing. Sometimes, I like to use song lyrics to help describe a character to myself, for example:

For Matsu Hideki, I'm reminded of a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song called "Red Right Hand".

You ain't got no money? He'll get you some.
You ain't got no car? He'll get you one.
You ain't got no self-respect,
you feel like an insect?
Well don't you worry, buddy,
'cause here he comes.
Through the ghettos and the barrio,
and the bowery and the slum.
A shadow is cast wherever he stands;
stacks of green paper in his red right hand.

So that's what I want you guys to do. Think of some lyrics that reflect who your character is. Connect them in some meaningful way. I think this will help you understand your characters more -it'll make them feel more alive and dynamic to you- and it'll also help me see the character through your eyes, which is important to me. Obviously, nobody has to do it if they don't want to. But there's 10BP in it for anyone that does; that's an extra attribute point, or a few skills and a specialization, or 50,000 NuYen, or whatever.

-milk.
Marwynn
I actually have several such songs in my head when thinking about Shotgun Sam. Logh's "Death to my Hometown" is about him giving up his old ways, leaving his gang and what he tried to do there. I know "I Walk the Line" is a love song, but it's a reminder to him about his two siblings. And finally a Filipino song, because he loves the smarmy love songs (don't tell anyone): "Tuwing Umuulan at Kapiling Kita" (translated: Everytime it rains and I'm with you".

It helps me get into the mood. For example, Iago's "theme music" in the BitW game is Koop's "Koop Island Blues", Bon Jovi's "It's My Life", and, ahem, Miley Cyrus' "The Climb".

Jairus (look him up) sings "Landslide" to me and several Conway Twitty songs.

I thought I was the only one that did this hehe. I'll post the specific lyrics later when the world stops spinning.

EDIT: It stopped.

Death to my Hometown by Logh
I Walk the Line by Johnny Cash

The days I tried to cage
Had already escaped
The months I tried to save
Were wasted anyway

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I walk the line

Death to your concern
Death to my return
Death to my hometown
Death to your regret
Death to my respect
Death to my hometown

You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine, I walk the line

Karoline
Tone deaf = don't listen to music frown.gif
milk ducks
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 8 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Tone deaf = don't listen to music frown.gif

Really? Well, I suppose it doesn't have to be lyrics specifically; the exercise is meant to create more of a link between you and your character, that's all. Once you start seeing or hearing your character in the words you read or hear, that character starts to become something greater than numbers on a sheet of paper. It becomes something more important. If you want, maybe you could submit a quote or something that you feel reflects your character. Or some lines from a book? It doesn't matter what the connection's with, really - only that a connection is created.

And at any rate, it's optional. spin.gif

-milk.
cndblank
QUOTE (milk ducks @ Oct 8 2009, 07:12 PM) *
Really? Well, I suppose it doesn't have to be lyrics specifically; the exercise is meant to create more of a link between you and your character, that's all. Once you start seeing or hearing your character in the words you read or hear, that character starts to become something greater than numbers on a sheet of paper. It becomes something more important. If you want, maybe you could submit a quote or something that you feel reflects your character. Or some lines from a book? It doesn't matter what the connection's with, really - only that a connection is created.

And at any rate, it's optional. spin.gif

-milk.

I'm slightly tone deaf too.wink.gif

But I do have a picture

The cover of SR4 Runner's Companion.

Name is Rev.
Method
I do the same thing for my characters. For example, my name sake character, Method is something of an anarchist anti-corp terrorist, so for him I always think of "The Great Destroyer" by Nine Inch Nails.
QUOTE ("the Great Destroyer")
Say your name.
Try to speak as clearly as you can.
You know everything gets written down.
Nod your head.
Just in case they could be watching.
With their shiny satellite.

I hope they cannot see.
The limitless potential.
Living inside of me.
To murder everything.
I hope they cannot see.
I am the great destroyer.

Anyway, for some reason, with this character I seem to perseverate on music by Rodger Clyne and the Peacemakers. For example:
QUOTE ("Americano")
Scorpian sting
I hear the mission bells ring
Another night of runnin' is another day
I don't dance the hangmans swing
All roads lead back to Tucson
Pray Maria, I don't find the noose on
La Policia's askin' questions
Say you don't know nothin'
and you ain't seen a thing

They say the blood is on my hands
'Cause I put down the money
and I made up the plan

-Chorus-
Blue eyes
White lies
Staight teeth and a crooked soul
Let the red blood and the green dinero flow
Americano!

Or "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. biggrin.gif

Karoline
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 8 2009, 10:50 PM) *
I'm slightly tone deaf too.wink.gif

But I do have a picture

The cover of SR4 Runner's Companion.

Name is Rev.

I've always thought that was a cool picture.

Don't forget the highly identifiable tattoos wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012