Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you play?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Paul
I have found that many people I've talked to online do not play an actual tabletop game, instead many people seem to play a form of an online game-be IRC, PbP, or other methods. I am not passing judgment on which is better-obviously we get our game where we can right?
Paul
I play a tabletop game, once a week for about 3 to 8 hours. (Depending of course on real world demands.) I have a stable of about 3 to 10 players who rotate in and out of campaigns. (People will play for a year or two, drop off for a few months, then pick back up.)
Medicineman
Pen&Paper ,All kind of Genre
for 25 Years mostly at Weekends
from 1996 -2002 I was having lots of Fun with Fantasy Larp

HougH!
Medicineman
Kagetenshi
Too spread out for tabletop. I've mostly used AIM, which although obnoxious in many ways (especially how poorly AIM clients tend to deal with unstable connections) has a built-in dieroller in chats and a server that none of us have to administer. Recently we've been adding Ventrilo to the mix, which loses our ability to maintain logs but fortunately we have a note-taker now.

(The basic flow being that dierolling occurs in the AIM chat, as well as some amount of kibitzing or non-primary action, while the real game occurs over Ventrilo.)

~J
Lass
I play two table top games - Shadowrun once a month and Pathfinder once a week.

combined with two virtual games using Skype and maptools.

I much prefer tabletop as the interaction is so much more lively. That being said virtual can be fun too.

Ive been invited to LARP but am too scared. Figure a bunch of fatty guys use LARPing to trick girls into sleeping with them cuz its IC!
DWC
I'm a casual play by poster, along with playing a mix of tabletop games. I did the PbeM and IRC things back in college, but fell off those two trains when I graduated and suddenly had a lot more free time.
exSaint
I play both online (using Maptools and Skype) and in person.

Weekly online and what comes out to biweekly tabletop irl.

EDIT: as a side note, I think it'd be real interesting to see people LARP Shadowrun.
Chrysalis
I play online.
pbangarth
Tabletop, PbP, Virtual Tabletop (MapTools)... any way I can get it. The itch never goes away.

I think I have SRiasis.
Thanee
Tabletop (no SR currently, though) and PbP.

Bye
Thanee
pbangarth
At the risk of causing Paul's scorn to rain down on me, were I to have the opportunity to LARP, I would certainly try it.
Platinum
QUOTE (Lass @ Oct 20 2009, 01:28 PM) *
Ive been invited to LARP but am too scared. Figure a bunch of fatty guys use LARPing to trick girls into sleeping with them cuz its IC!

No such thing as a girl on the internets anyhow... just 60 year old men in their underwear.
Paul
[Insert Scorn Here!]

Shadowrun LARP isn't unheard of. I've even heard of pictures of it being online, but I refuse to acknowledge it's existence. smile.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Paul @ Oct 22 2009, 08:53 PM) *
[Insert Scorn Here!]

Shadowrun LARP isn't unheard of. I've even heard of pictures of it being online, but I refuse to acknowledge it's existence. smile.gif

Any excuse to cut my hair into a mohawk, wear plastic ork teeth and ears, and carry guns is a good thing wink.gif

PLus, the only SR LARP I do also has a "tabletop" portion for stuff like a lot fo the combat and such.

Anyways, Tabletop. Though for several years, I wasn't gaming much at all, unless you count video games and MMOs (Which I do not), other than at cons. And even then, that was GMing and not playing.

Since I moved though, I have 2 SHadowrun groups and a D&D group. Games are spread out a little more than I like (The SR groups alternate weeks, and D&D is only once a month right now), but... Ahh well. I'm getting a bit old to handle gaming 3-4 times a week anymore anyways smile.gif

Bull
Paul
When someone says the LARP word, only one thing comes to mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012