Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to running missions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Wraith235
So I am Considering Starting a Mission Group at a local Gaming store and had some questions ... I Fired an Email off to Missions@Shadowrun but I'll post some of the questions here as well (and who knows maybe I sent them to the Wrong place)

first ... how does one become a Comando... is this the Snail mail Form that I send out Mr. Miller ... or is there a different route I take

Second - What exactly IS a Commando

third... in the FAQ it mentions that the 1st Mission SRM03-00 is Free and subsequent missions are $3.95 but you can get them for Free if you run them at a Convention, Game Day, or Public Event, in Order to receive these mods for Free to run at these type of events do I need to be accepted as an agent, or as a Comando ... which refers back to #1

SRM02 Campaign has concluded ....are these mods still legal for campaign use .. or are all these mods Retired from play completely
or can you use some of these up untill you make the change to New York and then never go back to them

Also in 3rd edition I remember in the Core book that somewhere there was a statement that the average Runner does a Run approximatly once a month .. yet in the 4th ed rule set I have seen no such provisions ... how is thig handled in missions

Another thing I am curious about just to have the information (not somethign I expect to deal with is Replay factor ... say a player has more than one Character ... do the missions have a replay clause in them for more than 1 character / player ..does the GM "Burn" a mod he runs ?
Bull
I'm sure Bishop or Aaron will be along shortly to give you some better answers, but, short, quick answers...

1) You sign up on http://www.catalystdemos.com/ under "Enlist!" That should give you most of the basics.

2) Nothing. The Commando program was FanPro's demo team, and is now defunct. Now, you become a Catalyst Demo Team Agent, and an Agent is simply someone who's registered to run Shadowrun events (Demo's and Missions) and represent the Demo Team. Generally you do this by registering a Firebase (Usually a Gaming Store, or some other public place), and publically listing and running at least a certain amount of events per year (I'm not 100% sure what the minimum is to stay an active Agent). You then get credits for these events, that you can use to get swag of some sort. I only do Convention work, so I'm not 100% sure how the "regular" Agents and Firebases work exactly.

3) Yes, you need to be a registered Agent. But again, as with #2, I'm not certain of all the details.

4) I'm not entirely certain about the SRM2 Modules. I want to say "yes", although we're encouraging SRM03, since that the current, active campaign and most players will be looking for these, but I'm not 100% certain.

5) Re: Time. There's a Calender that you use. Each run takes up one "week" on the calender. You also use the calender to track "downtime" stuff like getting gear via Availability, training up skills and attributes, and paying lifestyle. So let's say you play SRM03-00, that gets marked as the First Week in January on your calender. Then, your character goes looking for some APDS ammo, which after calculations, will take you 2 weeks to get. You decide to wait to get these before you run again. So when you play SRM03-01 next, you would mark that on your calendar under Week 4.

6) Re: Multiple Characters. I'm not entirely sure I understand this question. Do you mean "Can a GM only use a module once, then he has to buy it again to use it again?" If so, then no. It would be silly to try and even enforce something like that, even if CGL and the Demo Team wanted to, which they don't. If you're talking simply about a player going through the adventure more than once with different characters, then also, no. Though playing modules more than once is a bit boring, IMO, and if the GM knows that one or more playes has been through it before, he may want to ask the player to step back from the decision making process so they don't spoil it for the other players.

I know myself and Caine_Hazen ran through 03-00 and 03-01 at Conventions last year with our characters. We joined a new campaign recently, and we're using these same characters, but the campaign started with 00 and 01. So while we played, we stepped away from the decision making process for the most part, since we were somewhat familiar with the events, and since our characters had already been paid for the missions and had gotten Karma and other rewards, we basically did the first two missions for free, just to let the group catch up. We're eager to get back to the game now though, becasue we're hitting 03-02, so we'll start getting money and Karma once again (The GM had to take some time off as his wife just had a baby).

Bull
Wraith235
ok ... another ... assuming that the SRM2 missions are still legal do you have to be an agent to run these in an official missions style campaign
LurkerOutThere
SRM2 is still legal, no you do not need to be an agent to run them. SRM2 is availabile under the missions section of the www.shadowrun4.com website under downloads. SRM3 are available through www.drivethrurpg.com and the battlecorps site. Personally i've started running SRM3 locally and people are quite happy with it. In fact, and i mean no disprect to the authors I think SRm3 is jsut flat more fun as there is less emphasis on trying to tell the runners how desperate for money they are that week etc.. HOw deeply effected they are by the outcome of x run. Etc etc. Manhattan has more a escapism feel to it and I for one approve of that. That and I like manhattans faction system better as it feels like it has a little more heft to it.

Wraith235
6) Re: Multiple Characters. I'm not entirely sure I understand this question. Do you mean "Can a GM only use a module once, then he has to buy it again to use it again?" If so, then no. It would be silly to try and even enforce something like that, even if CGL and the Demo Team wanted to, which they don't. If you're talking simply about a player going through the adventure more than once with different characters, then also, no. Though playing modules more than once is a bit boring, IMO, and if the GM knows that one or more playes has been through it before, he may want to ask the player to step back from the decision making process so they don't spoil it for the other players.

What I mean is .. Lets say James a player in a mission game has SamuraiX and has played him through 6 mods

James goes to a Missions table and founds out that Mission #3 is beiong run and he happened to have taken SamuraiX through that one prior

is James
A) prevented from playing this mod again with any character (we already know SamuraiX cannot take part)
B) able to play this mod with a character other than SamuraiX

and the same question goes for GM'ing
if a GM Runs Say SRM2-07 can he then play it at a later time .. or is the mod "Burned" for him
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Oct 17 2009, 09:49 PM) *
and the same question goes for GM'ing
if a GM Runs Say SRM2-07 can he then play it at a later time .. or is the mod "Burned" for him

Generally you shouldn't play in a module you've run. Many of the Missions GMs make a point to play in a module before they GM it.
Aaron
What he said.
KarlR
I too am new to SRM and want to start running missions.

Where do I advertise them? Where do I report completed missions?

thanks,

Karl
Wasabi
I know I got shot down last time I suggested it but seriously, this forum area here on Dumpshock needs a "GET TO KNOW ABOUT MISSIONS" thread stating how to join the demo team, what missions is, and link shadowrun4.com and the Missions FAQ doc. Seriously.
KarlR
I think that would be a good idea.

the email missions@shadowrun4.com does not work anymore.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Bull @ Oct 14 2009, 11:40 PM) *
I'm sure Bishop or Aaron will be along shortly to give you some better answers, but, short, quick answers...

1) You sign up on http://www.catalystdemos.com/ under "Enlist!" That should give you most of the basics.

2) Nothing. The Commando program was FanPro's demo team, and is now defunct. Now, you become a Catalyst Demo Team Agent, and an Agent is simply someone who's registered to run Shadowrun events (Demo's and Missions) and represent the Demo Team. Generally you do this by registering a Firebase (Usually a Gaming Store, or some other public place), and publically listing and running at least a certain amount of events per year (I'm not 100% sure what the minimum is to stay an active Agent). You then get credits for these events, that you can use to get swag of some sort. I only do Convention work, so I'm not 100% sure how the "regular" Agents and Firebases work exactly.

Bull

http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/index.shtml

http://www.catalystdemos.com/Enlist.asp

Read.
BishopMcQ
KarlR--I have not been told that it wasn't working. I will check into the matter.

Edit: Karl, I confirmed that the email address is still valid. Please forward the bounceback message to adamjury@catalystgamelabs.com so that he can review it. Thank you.
KarlR
Thanks for the information!
Aaron
I believe the missions@shadowrun4.com email is working again, based on my own test. If it isn't working, lemme know. Or let BishopMcQ know so I don't have to do it. =i)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012