Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking Seattle runners…
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Embers
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 23 2009, 01:33 AM) *
I cheated a little and did my IC post with my alternative character. >.> I'm a bad person, but I really think I'll have more fun playing him. I have a short blurb on him available here if anyone's interested, though it doesn't go into much detail just yet. If I had to write him up in the shorthand we've been using, he'd probably be:

Primary Role: Negotiation/Logistics
Special: Social Adept
Secondary Roles: Investigation

Assuming the roles are the ones described in Runner's Companion at any rate. smile.gif In more traditional parlance he's pretty much a Face with some rounding out and quasi-military training as a former Knight of the Red Branch (what the IRA basically became after Tir na n'Og was formed).

Sounds fun, I read the profile page you put up. I think there could be some fun byplay between him and Jordan, although I'm curious how he feels about non-irish elves. Out of curiosity, do shifters especially canine shifters go around scent marking? I think the wolf in the novel (I want to say Forever Drug?) did, but sometimes novels aren't the best sources of info.
Ol' Scratch
He's particularly fascinated with metahumanity and loves being a human far more than he ever did being a wolf. What few traces of his bestial nature there are, they're very subtle, at least as long as he's in control of himself. If he gets dosed up with some drugs or something that might be another story.

He disdains elves on general principle, but he's been known to make an exception. Females in particular. <innocent>
Karoline
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 23 2009, 01:45 AM) *
but he's been known to make an exception. Females in particular. <innocent>

Gee, I wonder why. wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
I haven't the foggiest.
Embers
Just so long as he doesn't start humping her leg or trying to mark his territory rotfl.gif
Ol' Scratch
<laughs> For the most part his only real bestial trait is that he's a bit of a party animal if you get him going. wink.gif I figure his exuberantly high Charisma and Etiquette keep him behaving properly most of the time.
Karoline
Woo, keyboard finally obeyed long enough to get my post done. I have a vague guess about what it might be causing the problem, but if I'm right I have no idea how to fix it. Might try taking it in tomorrow, want to get it fixed before thanksgiving.

Edit: I'll be posting a link to a full sized pic of my character almost exactly as described later.
Karoline
storing data in his left sock nyahnyah.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 23 2009, 03:51 PM) *
storing data in his left sock nyahnyah.gif

They say storage is everywhere now. Embedded in RFID Tags and whatnot.

Or at least, I thought I read that.

BlueMax
Karoline
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Nov 23 2009, 07:01 PM) *
They say storage is everywhere now. Embedded in RFID Tags and whatnot.

Or at least, I thought I read that.

BlueMax

Yeah, they do, then later on they have rules for clothing purpose made for storage (For technomancers) so they kind of contradict themselves (Gee, big news wink.gif ) but I was laughing at the fact that it is entirely possible, not saying that it couldn't happen (Would have expanded earlier, but keyboard was acting up yet again)
Ol' Scratch
In a feeble attempt to stop myself from constantly redoing his stats every time I find a minor mistake, I'm going to go ahead and post the "karma generation receipt" for Bigsby. It's not pretty or anything, just the raw data I jumbled together so I could get everything worked out. It's lacking most of the fun flavor text and whatnot.

BIGSBY WOLF
Wolf Shifter, Social Adept, Former Knight of the Red Branch

[ Spoiler ]
JoelHalpern
Doc, I like the way you put that together. There is one small issue I noticed.
By the book, direct improvement to skill (which is what the adept ability is) is limited to 1/2 current skill, rather than 1/2 max skill. (Stat improvements are limited to 1/2 natural stat max.)

Yours,
Joel
Ol' Scratch
Crud, I must have missed that. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix that.
pbangarth
Doc, are your Karma costs for Qualities inverted for sign? They would appear to cost you 10 Karma, not give you 10 back.
Ol' Scratch
It's easier for me to do it that way in my head. They did cost me 10 Karma total.
Karoline
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 26 2009, 01:05 AM) *
It's easier for me to do it that way in my head. They did cost me 10 Karma total.

Fairly sure we're still limited to 70 karma of qualities. There was an exception for negative qualities that directly affected magic abilities (cursed, aspected mage, geas, and so on)

Edit: Might be something for positive as well, but none of yours seem to fall under that category besides adept, but I don't think that qualifies.
Ol' Scratch
Yes, Adept qualifies. All of the conceptual qualities (Magician, Technomancer, Adept, Mystic Adept) are exempt from the limit, as are things like Martial Arts. I'm at +70/-70 plus Adept. Hence it costing a total of 10 Karma.
Karoline
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 26 2009, 10:26 AM) *
Yes, Adept qualifies. All of the conceptual qualities (Magician, Technomancer, Adept, Mystic Adept) are exempt from the limit, as are things like Martial Arts. I'm at +70/-70 plus Adept. Hence it costing a total of 10 Karma.

I didn't remember all those being exempt. I'll have to check back through the posts when I get a chance.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving Americans.
Ol' Scratch
It's in the first post. nyahnyah.gif
Karoline
Ah, yep, guess you're right. I was fairly strapped for karma, so I wasn't too worried about breaking the 70 karma limit on positive qualities.
Ol' Scratch
I guess I'm just a positive kinda guy.
Ol' Scratch
Still no word. frown.gif
Karoline
Yeah, was hoping she'd have some time to get on now that the holiday is over, so perhaps sometime today.
horvagab
Are there still open spots? If yes, then I would like to propose my Shinto Oni Technomancer, seeing as you guys are not really hacker heavy smile.gif.
He's name is Oshikuru, and he was abandoned in a Shinto orphanagae. Later on when his 'mancy kicked in, he was kicked out on the streets, where he scoured everything and survived through his abilites. He was abducted by Renraku ( or some other corp, don't know yet) and was experimented upon (permanent infusion), but was rescued by a sudden crashin the matrix system, a mysterious entity allowed him to go free: his Paragon (thinking 01 for now, though that's up for change). He snuck up on a boat going to Seattle, and during the trip he scoured the matrix for information, going into a deep trance. He communed with his Paragon, was given a sprite to assist him, and he developed his own view on Reasonance and everything else, the main basis of his belief system is that Sprites are the kami (spirits) of the Matrix. So far for now.
Karoline
I think we may have a slot or two, but not entirely sure. Unfortunately the game has been put on indefinite hold until Keren finds her way back to the boards. frown.gif
ravensoracle
I am waiting for Karen to reply to me but have sent her interest to rejoin the game. I am working on Mystic Adept Bounty Hunter now.
Karoline
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ Dec 1 2009, 07:16 PM) *
I am waiting for Karen to reply to me but have sent her interest to rejoin the game. I am working on Mystic Adept Bounty Hunter now.

She's been MIA for like... a month now?
BlueMax
QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 1 2009, 04:31 PM) *
She's been MIA for like... a month now?

Two to three weeks tops nyahnyah.gif

BlueMax
Karoline
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Dec 1 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Two to three weeks tops nyahnyah.gif

BlueMax

I have 0 concept of time on a scale larger than like an hour.

Edit: And less than a decade or so
ravensoracle
I know I have been keeping up with the thread.
pbangarth
Yeah, work can be tough. But .... three weeks off Dumpshock? Not even a midnight drive-by to say "Hi"? No answer to an email I sent?

I'm worried.
Karoline
Well, someone claimed they'd seen/talked/visited in a dream by her a bit before thanksgiving and that she was alright.
BlueMax
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 3 2009, 09:31 PM) *
Yeah, work can be tough. But .... three weeks off Dumpshock? Not even a midnight drive-by to say "Hi"? No answer to an email I sent?

I'm worried.

I am from Los Angeles... please don't say Midnight Drive-by. As now I am really worried.

BlueMax
Ol' Scratch
Midnight drive-bys.
BlueMax
At this point, interest is starting to shift to other projects. This inspired me to play in my first PbP and I have signed up for another. I am no longer reserving time for this game. Should the embers catch fire once again, I will work to clear a spot on my schedule.

BlueMax
Karoline
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Dec 7 2009, 06:54 PM) *
At this point, interest is starting to shift to other projects. This inspired me to play in my first PbP and I have signed up for another. I am no longer reserving time for this game. Should the embers catch fire once again, I will work to clear a spot on my schedule.

BlueMax

No worries, I think most people have put this on the back burner now with her being gone for nearly a month now. Still hoping she'll pop back up, but it seems like even if she did she may not be up to running the game any more.
Generic_PC
I'm used to this, sadly. GMs, in my experience, often fall off the earth right before they plan on starting up. Not always, of course, but often.

And if it isn't the GM, it'll be at least one player.
Karoline
QUOTE (Generic_PC @ Dec 8 2009, 12:15 AM) *
I'm used to this, sadly. GMs, in my experience, often fall off the earth right before they plan on starting up. Not always, of course, but often.

And if it isn't the GM, it'll be at least one player.

Well, you have to understand that with the earth being a sphere and all, it is rather hard to keep balanced on wink.gif
JoelHalpern
So far, of the five PbP games I have tried to join on this board, one made it through 3 scenes, two made it through 1 scene, and the rest died before getting going. I start feeling cursed.

Yours,
Joel
Karoline
The combination of holidays and end of term for Students makes this a somewhat bad time for games.
adamu
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ Dec 8 2009, 02:33 PM) *
So far, of the five PbP games I have tried to join on this board, one made it through 3 scenes, two made it through 1 scene, and the rest died before getting going. I start feeling cursed.

Yours,
Joel

Don't feel cursed.
If anything, feel initiated.
Welcome to Dumpshock.

But there is always hope...
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, this is always a bad time of year for online games. It doesn't tend to recover until late January or early February, and even then it's pretty iffy. God knows every time I've tried to start a game I've ended up in the friggin' hospital for one reason or another. So I certainly can't fault anyone else when something comes up.
Generic_PC
I once tried to start a game on another site. I broke both my arms falling off a pedal bike the weekend I was going to start, and I couldn't type, so it languished until it died. I've never, before nor since, heard of someone breaking both arms at once.
Karoline
That's impressive. Did you have to practice breaking each arm individually and then work your way up? question.gif

For me it is simple depression attacks whenever I try writing posts for a game I'm running. Go depression, the affliction that just doesn't cut ice with teachers.
Generic_PC
QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 9 2009, 05:36 PM) *
That's impressive. Did you have to practice breaking each arm individually and then work your way up? question.gif

For me it is simple depression attacks whenever I try writing posts for a game I'm running. Go depression, the affliction that just doesn't cut ice with teachers.

Nah. Injuring myself is intuitive. Try getting a psychologists or psychiatrists note. They add some credibility beyond "Couldn't do my project, since I sat down to work on it and had to get away."

I'm not trying to be offensive, just so you know.
Karoline
Yeah, only problem is I'm a bit too proud to usually admit I have the problem, and don't generally try to use it with a teacher because I figure they'll think I'm just being lazy.

Anyway, it usually isn't a huge problem, mostly just a couple extra absences here and there. (Though I do have the most amazing luck at picking days when teachers give pop quizzes)
ravensoracle
I understand what you're saying Karoline. Trying to explain to some people how debilitating(sp?) a mental illness can be is almost impossible. I'm Bi-polar and do my best to avoid people on my bad days. So when people ask why I am not willing to do anything some days and I explain, I feel many of them just think I am lazy and making excuses. I mean I am pretty normal most of the time but I have enough bad days that it does become noticable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012