Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Module releases going forward
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
LurkerOutThere
Hello all. In a few days we'll mark a sad milestone. Three months with no module release. This is unfortunate and for me raises a very important question. When (if?) we see the next release will it be more then one? Looking back I see this has been the longest lull we've had at least of year 3, the others being more or less a month to a month.

Since indications I've seen from around the board is these hold-ups are at the company level I have to ask why. SRM03 is a great product and for a FACT will drive book sales. Personally I'm eager to buy and run modules for other people both at my local game store and at home which should drive revenue. It just seems a no brainer that modules already in the can are being held up.

RobertB
I'd like to add that this silence on the issue is not really helping the company. There may be some who know what's going on, but most of us are in the dark regarding what's holding up the releases. We understand that details may not be available (but they would be nice to know), but I believe some word on the issue that would help to set expectations would do wonders for the Missions community. We'd like to know what's going on.

Robert (aka Spanner)
BishopMcQ
As of this week, Aaron and I are taking over layout responsibilities of Missions. Expect a release coming by November 15th. Unless you hear from me, all further delays lay squarely on my shoulders. I have not had a chance to speak to Jason and TPTB on whether they want to release several Missions to get caught up to our previous schedule, or go one at a time and just stick to my new commitments.

This is the news I alluded to before that there were some possible changes coming. I'll continue to be here as I have been in the past, but I'm going to be spending a lot of time in InDesign over the next few months.

Again - Blame me, unless I say something to the contrary.
pbangarth
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Oct 29 2009, 11:02 AM) *
This is the news I alluded to before that there were some possible changes coming. I'll continue to be here as I have been in the past, but I'm going to be spending a lot of time in InDesign over the next few months.

Have fun, I'm writing a dissertation in it.
LurkerOutThere
Bishop,

Thank you for your thoughtfull and newsworthy response. For what it's worth I would prefer a mass download as that would finally give those of use wanting to run missions at our local stores and groups a "library" to go with. Espcially guys like me who played a fairly good chunk of missions at Origins and Gencon and have been waiting to run them. I have already eaten two missions and would prefer not do so for any further so any movement to get the origins and gencon missions out the door would be greatly appreciated. Of course I have no idea what it would take to get those missions ready for release so I understand if such thing is not feasible.

BishopMcQ
Lurker--

I can say there's:
--Time. An investment of manhours on my part, which hopefully will lessen now that I've figured out the logic that was used in setting up the project.
--Art assignments. The PDF releases generally come with several pieces of art and maps. Some of those we have, other parts we are in the process of commissioning artists.
--Proofing. This is a two-tiered project, we have proofing of the text to make sure we didn't miss anything, and proofing on the final PDF to make sure I didn't screw up and leave artifacts, screw up with overset text etc.
--Release. After getting through the production pipeline, it rests finally on TPTB to decide what rate they want to release them. Flooding the market is just as bad as starving it, so I leave those decisions up to someone with a higher paygrade.

It should be pretty clear which of those I have complete/partial/no control over, but I'm excited to see this stuff moving.

An added bonus is that we should start having the pretty PDF versions ready for Demo Team members to use and show off when running events. I hope that this will show players and GMs the quality of the product and get more players into the campaign. More Players = More Fun.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Nov 2 2009, 01:54 AM) *
--Release. After getting through the production pipeline, it rests finally on TPTB to decide what rate they want to release them. Flooding the market is just as bad as starving it, so I leave those decisions up to someone with a higher paygrade.

I for one would make the argument that I could live with a flooded market, but we know where I stand on this issue. Thanks for the info!
Wesley Street
I'm eager to see player and GM responses in regard to the Knight at the Opera and Something Completely Different maps.

No reason.

*cough*
CollateralDynamo
I played in both of those Missions. Attempting not to spoil anything for other players I would say:

[ Spoiler ]
Wasabi
Player response, Knight at the Opera:
[ Spoiler ]

Player response, Something Completely Different:
[ Spoiler ]
LurkerOutThere
I'm not trying to be that guy but I was very much looking forward to a module release. Is it just running behind? was the 15th day quoted the release date for the Demot Team (kinda silly after a 3 month delay). I mean I understand if things are running late, but these modules are already in the can.
BishopMcQ
Lurker--

The 15th was the day I was targeting, but Sundays are bad for product releases. Expect it soon...

It is worth noting, that while the modules are in transcript form, they are not at all ready for publication. The versions that the convention teams use, haven't gone through Art Development, Proof-reading, Layout, and Approval. That is a lot of man hours, from Aaron and I, as well as our art teams and proofing pools. I've mentioned this all before, but thought it worth bringing back up.

Adam and his people are working with me to streamline the process, and the Missions team is getting pumped up and ready for some Big News that is coming out in the future. All of this hopefully adds up to a strong flow of releases in the coming months, but I ask that you give me a little more time. Once we jump this first hurdle, everything will get easier and flow more regularly.
Moonhawk
Glad to hear this - even though the locals & I are currently working our way through the Denver missions, knowing that there'll be a decent number of NYC mods out there once we finish those is good news.

Moonhawk

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Nov 17 2009, 03:27 PM) *
Adam and his people are working with me to streamline the process, and the Missions team is getting pumped up and ready for some Big News that is coming out in the future. All of this hopefully adds up to a strong flow of releases in the coming months, but I ask that you give me a little more time. Once we jump this first hurdle, everything will get easier and flow more regularly.
BishopMcQ
Hey Folks--

I just wanted to let you know there was a stealth upload to Battlecorps for SRM 03-05. It is up now and ready for purchase.
Aaron
In case you wanted to go straight to it, here's the link for SRM03-05 In and Out.
LurkerOutThere
Yea i just happened to check that the other day much obliged now I finally have one that I played at Gencon to add to the modules i've already eaten.

Of course in true give a mouse a cookie fashion, have you decided if your going to try and clear the backlog? I'd really like to start running more SRM but in order to do that I need to expand my library.
BishopMcQ
All production release decisions are up to CGL. Aaron and I have been brainstorming and offering a variety of options to CGL, when they make a decision, we will announce it. Until then, I'd expect one per month. I am pushing to get back on the 15th schedule, but as I'm told if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak. (Just don't let TigerEyes know...)
Tiger Eyes
Bad McQ. Very bad.
LurkerOutThere
What you don't like horse?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012