Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: extended test and mechanics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Boomer1985
I was looking at mod-ing my Nimrod (drone that is) and looking at the threshholds it is impossible. Signiture masking 2 is 12 ECM is 20. The chameleon coating is the only reasonable one at 10. if you have a 6 logic and 6 in mech, the peak of meta-human potential, you can only do things with a threshold of 15. So while one can almost put on a nano maintenance system (16) you have no chance of putting on a small landing drone rack (20) or improving the economy of a vehicle (24). It seems to me that the new rules has made Arsenal obsolete. Whats your opinion?

ps i got this in an email from one of the other players in our group any comments concerns advice would be appreciated
LurkerOutThere
I originally had hoped to do some stuff with programing software more as a character backstory thing then for twink and am running into much of the same frustration, while I understand the need for ease of paperwork the system seems really designed to discourage people from doing any kind of long term technical or crafting related pursuits, bettween buying hits at a stiff rate and then loosing dice on top of that your hits drop to zero ridiculously fast.
Wasabi
Some things that grant bonuses to B/R:

Microscopic Vision (cyberware implant)
*OR* Cryptesesia-Microscopic Vision (spell)
*OR* Enhanced Senses-Microscopic Vision (adept power)

Analyze Device (spell, cast by a friend or using a sustaining focus)
Task Spirit (spirit with technical skills, possession traditions only)
Diagnostics power of a Machine Sprite (sprite power)
Contacts you pay using the 'swag' rules (teamwork bonus)
Increase Logic (spell)
Item Attunement (adept power)
Homeground - My Mechanic Shop (positive quality)
If using skillwires to gain the B/R skills there are Program Options in unwired to get some bonus dice (personalized comes to mind)

And I dont remember the names exactly but their are Nanites that add to Logic based tests, there are cyber implants that add to Logic. If there is some way by RAW to have the tools on a drone like an autodoc has medical tools then you could gain a VR bonus of +2 dice.
Ryu
Build/Repair tests, pg. 138 of The Precious.
Superior Working Conditions +1 (like a clean facility with AAA matrix services)
Superior Tools +1 (or more)
AR-Plans +2
=> +4

Logic 5(7) + skill 4 + Encephalon 1.
DP 16 / Hits 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 = 28.

It is easy to go higher.
Axl
Boomer1985, I agree. I think that it's unhelpful of the game developers to make such far-reaching changes to the system four years after the game was released. They should have had the foresight to realise the impact of these changes before doing so. The optional rule affecting direct damage combat spells is the worst offender.
TeaTime
QUOTE (Axl @ Nov 11 2009, 02:03 AM) *
... The optional rule affecting direct damage combat spells is the worst offender.

Hey.. Mind refreshing me on that ruling?
Axl
I'm going to assume that's a genuine question. See "SR4A changes".

"Direct combat spells have a new optional mechanic: for each Net Hit applied to damage, the Drain Value increases by +1. For Area of Effect spells, use only the highest Net Hits applied to damage."
Wasabi
Unless they are specifically included in the SRM FAQ no optional rules are used in Missions. smile.gif
Jack Kain
I think the new rule for the growing -1 on extended tests was intended for stuff like hacking and the like to extended tests are no longer a matter of it being inevitable. You could simply not apply it to modifications.

Another thing to contend with is the fallacy that modifications are done solo. I would think a threshold 20 or so modification on a vehicle would normally be done by two or three people. Not just one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012